Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I was going through my dad's old comics I'd set aside to keep after he passed and I discovered an ancient copy of Sierra Interaction magazine with all the marketing hype about this game. I'll try and scan it later for the thread, its gloriously early 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

I'm not sure if "Chocha" is meant to be coffee or cocoa, since the descriptions in the books seem to combine a bit of both, but it helps add to that Aztec flavour for the Tsurani by tying them to some "new world" plants.

Its similar to coffee, but not. There's a scene in the third Tsuraunni book where they're setting up to start importing chocolate and coffee both.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Fun fact I learned from drinking with some ex dynamix developers, there were a shocking amount of strippers in the office on a near weekly basis. I'm more than willing to bet at least one of them ended up in cheap renaissance cosplay and in the final game.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It was a weird conversation, and if I hadn't been so excited to talk about BaK with a dynamix people I don't think I would have stuck around long enough to hear that story, guy was a real douchebag, although apparently not the stripper hirer.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Psion posted:

Scale is one of Feist's biggest issues and it's thankfully not relevant here whatsoever, so yeah. We get all the benefits and none of the downsides, basically.

Also this is an excellent, excellent start: Going off route is fun and lucrative (or can be anyway) and for those of you who eyed that extremely expensive sword in Yabon and thought 'I wonder if anyone was insane enough to grind for that' the answer is yes and giving it to Gorath should probably be classified as a crime. :getin:

It's not just that you can wander around and do stuff - it's that the developers accounted for it and put in dialogue and events and stuff to reward you for wandering off course. You can still completely beat the game and have a full experience just following the 'expected route' though so it's never required or obligated. It's just neat.

I hope those insane grinders found the much cheaper shop for that sword before the grind was over. Full price for a greatsword, smdh.

Anyways, I hear the eastern coast of the kingdom is beautiful this time of year.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Tortolia posted:

Definitely didn't remember using consumables like the tuning fork, so I'm sure that made things more difficult! But like you said, since battles are ultimately finite I probably just assumed it was worth the effort to fight trolls just in case.

The thing about trolls is they never carry loot

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Tortolia posted:

In fairness I was probably playing this when I was 13 or so, and there are definitely other games in that era I came back to later and realized that I was approaching them extremely incorrectly.
Also, as Purple said, at no point does the game tell you to do this. That ear ringing comment in the info blurb is literally all the help you get on that.

edit: goddammit I get the worst snipes

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 24, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If they do its buried in a paragraph about something else entirely

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I don't think there's anything in the Egg/Tan section that is chap1 exclusive, is there? If there is we should for sure do that.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

It's not exclusive, but the Isaac-related content there will be less interesting after chapter 1, in my opinion. Plus, as part of this Extremely Canon Playthrough, what the party discovers there is canon for them to discover(though they actually learn it in when meeting Isaac in the book).

Detour it is then!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I doubt this is the reason why it doesn't insta-end the combat but that's a great opportunity to heal back up and save on rations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Do corpses (or their loot) despawn in this game? Seems like carrying capacity is limited, and I guess it'd be sad to wipe out a bunch of encounters early on and have to leave a bunch of vendor junk behind to disappear if you're not constantly running back to stores.

I think corpses despawn when they're flagged to not appear in the current chapter. So in chapter 1 and 2 you might have 3 moredhel ambushes set to appear along a certain road, but in chap 4 it might be 2 ambushes of a different enemy and the game just gets rid of the references (corpses/enemies) from the first set. I may be wrong and they despawn at the start of a new chapter though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

That's amazing, makes me think I should use the dogs more.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Perhaps the dog was gravely ill and the stress of the fight sent him to the boneyard.

The game tends to be very cryptic about these things, could be just a stray bit of code, things were pretty ruff back in that era.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

My only complaint about this post is that now I have to think up different terrible puns for the actual LP update.

Well not to blow my own horn, but I've got tons more horrible puns ready if you need them. I'll just have to summon up the dogged strength not to use them.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

Keys. So, every non-code lock in the game can have one of four states: Unlockable only with lockpicks, unlockable only with a special key, unlockable with lockpicks OR a generic key, not unlockable(there are a few of these, like the "fake" ways up from the Krondor sewers). Now, the problem is that being openable by a key does not immediately make a lock harder to pick, in fact, of the locks openable both with non-generic keys and lockpicks, James can open 7 of them at the start of chapter 2, 15 if we hand him the Amulet of the Upright Man(of course we did). How many are there across the entire game? 23. There's also nothing in the game that really hints, to you, the player, whether a given lock can be opened by a key or not., and all these statistics are also hidden from the average game player, so you never know if you want to grab some keys from a store or not.

On top of this, keys are also not expendable. If used right, they never break, if used wrong they sometimes randomly break(assuming they aren't special unique keys).

This is a case where less obfuscated mechanics would've worked better. If the player always knew if a non-generic key opened a given lock, and the lockpicking requirement, and keys were always expended when used, it would turn it into a tactical decision of whether to spend limited resources(keys, and thus by extension money) or bypass a chest that they were unable to pick. Oh and if keys were actually usable for more than a fraction of the game's chests. By far the majority of them are Moredhel wordlocks.

Key mechanics are weird but I think you might be a bit off on parts of it. You can click on the lock and it will tell you what kind of key it takes (if it does take one). Not sure if you have to have opened a lock with that type of key yet for it to work, I'm reasonably sure you do, but there's definitely a few different dialogues for lock clicking based on what category the lock falls into. But yeah, by and large you're better off just boosting the hell out of James and Gorath's lockpicking.

Also James, while lovely at the start of the chapter has one very important stat: speed. For all that Locklear says that he's faster with a blade, James is the fastest character in the game, making him an A+ mage harasser.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Pug's second wife is a magician who does poo poo, but she suffers from Wheel of Time Woman syndrome where her personality is "I'm cranky about stuff"

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

As much loving about as the party seems to get up to 4 hours isn't too much of a stretch. Although now you've got temples and teleport money so it's prob not too bad.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm so excited for the eventual 'best spell' argument. Sadly we don't have it yet, or maybe we picked it up back at Sarth and Purple just has really bad opinions about that spell and isn't using it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

The problem with BaK's spell selection is that while a lot of them are THEORETICALLY useful, you end up with several which are NEVER useful and a few which are simply BETTER than the rest for the most part. But after this next bit, I think I'll have enough of a spell library that it might be worth doing a catch-up post.

There are some amazingly trash spells. Nightfingers might actually be the worst spell in any game I've ever played. I can't even think of a close second.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Losing the glory hand when you cast it is actively detrimental since you're now out an expensive sellable item in exchange for something you'll get when you kill them anyways.

My go-to spell is the one that makes you immune to all damage. 5 stamina cast lasts for all but the longest fights and now Owyn is immortal, which opens up all sorts of options, the laziest of which is Melee Owyn.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The best spell is Dragon Skin and it's not even close.

Ding ding ding.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

This is a weird section of the game. Its got 100% the best money making method for as long as you want to take doing it, just don't progress the main quest. Its also where if you've played before you have to start deciding if you're going to leave care packages for your party in upcoming chapters, especially important if you've already looted every single chest in the kingdom. I'm sure Purple's going to show off the former, the latter part is honestly a lot of backtracking and stuffing things in chests/selling them to shops to make them availible.

I *knew* purple had wrong opinions on skin of the dragon. What he's not saying is that a 5pt cast makes the target immune to all damage for a really long time, it'll cover all but the longest fights. Start every fight casting it on Owyn then do whatever. Hell you could even send him into the center of the fight and let the enemy gang up on him, it functionally takes those enemies out of the equation since they're going to stand in place and not do damage, which is the same thing fetters of rime etc would do except its cheaper and can't miss.

I tease about the wrong opinions, Purple's doing great, I'm just a SotD fangirl

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

sort of, you have to download the old help web, I'm sure there's other sites, but this is the good one
https://vga256.com/krondor/krondor.html?_sm_nck=1

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Regarding brother marc's story, it reminds me of what it turns out is a fairly common occurrence in archeology. So a bunch of archaeologists are doing work in the SW and keep finding knives in the rafters of these houses. Being archeologists they immediately start coming up with all kinds of religious and cultural reasons for why the knives are up there, only to have a random visiting mother take one look at the situation and say "Oh that's smart, the kids can't reach the knives that way".

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Remember always that Owyn gained his initial magical instruction after enacting a complex scheme to embezzle the money for his tutoring from his father's accounts.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to find out his tutor had a hand in the planning.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

A cranky old man with illusory goblins guarding his house? Someone like that maybe?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

New captain planet series sounds off the chain

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, he kind of invited himself along after Locklear and Gorath wandered into his camp and, in fact, eventually blackmailed the party to be kept on board.

I think Locklear said he was coming to krondor with them one way or another to keep him from accidentally talking. But sticking around after chapter one was all on Owyn, guess that pressing business in Tiburn wasn't all that pressing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I love the gorath/owyn chapters, they're just an absolute delight. You'd think being down a person would slow you down but it never seems to be a problem, and even if it was, you'd barely notice because you go so many weird and cool places with them.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Its true. If we were just going off of personality the next companion would be the overwhelming favorite I think. Gorath does have his grumpy charms though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I wonder if Patrus is why I have such a soft spot for performatively grumpy old men. He's just the best

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

He makes the same scream (iirc) as when you fall down a pit and its such a great noise.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah I can't imagine doing chapter 5 without selling at least a few good spells to the shops for patrus to pick up. I mean you can, its just kind of a pain in the rear end. Also how did James end up so broke? Did you buy gems for Owyn and Gorath with the party stash?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Yep! Gems for Owyn and Gorath to bring into the Northlands, an extra suit of dragon plate that ended up going to Locklear, a spare blessed Greatsword because I didn't remember that Locklear got a free(unblessed) one at the start of the chapter, and a Lightning Staff for Patrus because I thought he just started with the normal wooden stick.

I absolutely went too hard on splitting the money in favour of Owyn and Gorath, though.

I always split hard for James and Co. Owyn and Gorath are all kitted out and off to the lands of ice snow and restorative bushes, whereas James has to deal with the Locklear and Patrus situation, which I tend to make even more expensive by selling a bunch of spells to the shop up there so Patrus can have some decent spells.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

lol well that'll happen. At least you didn't get punked by Those loving Magicians. So many reloads....

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

They sure loving are! I think the barn fight with Nago in chap 1 is second place but there's so many ways the AI can just roll in a way that you're hosed without even getting to take a turn.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well it's impossible for Katala at least.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

And hopefully it's true that it's been unbugged so it won't accidentally make battles unwinnable in the latest patch. :v:

Wait what? That's awful, did it make enemies not take damage past a certain point or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oh right the sword bug. I thought you meant just a general 'as you're playing through' bug. Glad to see you did the ale quest, I've never actually done it before, and had no idea there was all that dialogue up at Cavell's Keep.