Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Man, this brings back so many memories. One thing that can be a little frustrating is how a lot of side stuff is chapter gated and can disappear if you wait too long, so you can miss a lot of stuff if you just go for the main quest. Also the high difficulty curve, man do I remember this game kicking my rear end constantly. I hope you find a good way to show off all of the bullshit this game can throw at you that typically leads to a game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Brak Nur, and we need to explore a bit before going to Krondor. I also hope you will give the thread a crack at some of the harder riddles.

In case it isn't obvious, everything you want to buy is crazy expensive. The equipment we are picking up doesn't sell for much, maybe 20ish gold per looted corpse, and everything good costs a few hundred gold. Healing is also pretty pricey. This is a game where you loot literally everything that can be sold and schlep it back to a shop for cash, and save scum haggling. We are very poor for most of the game.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
My vote is to show the side things that disappear after chapter 1, but avoid burning through too much else. The later chapters can feel a little empty if you do too much looting and questing at the beginning of the game.

The fun thing about grave robbing is you can usually tell what will be buried in a grave based on the epitaph, which can feels bit like the chest riddles at times.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Man, that Nago fight destroyed young me so many times. I was too young to understand exploration, so I usually went straight south, maybe finishing the dwarf side quest, before just getting wrecked by Nago. I think I thought it was a required fight for some reason, just skipping it never occurred to me.
There is so much story and writing, I think I can forgive the game for not having more dialogue for Rowe, it was probably put off for later or overlooked. One mean fact about paralysis, if everyone in your party is paralyzed or dead, you get the partywipe game over. This does not work if you paralyze all enemies.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

disposablewords posted:

This bit was particularly amusing to me because I came at these games before the books - and backwards at that, with Return to Krondor first and then this. So I played entirely through Return, found out about Betrayal, and went back to it... and wondered who the hell this Locklear nerd was because he's obviously noteworthy as a major PC, but I can't recall a single instance he gets so much as mentioned in Return.

I don't have much of a memory of him from the books, either, but to be fair I basically downed those in such a rush in my teens that I barely remember a thing about them anymore. Mostly I remember getting really enthusiastic about Pug as a character for a while after reading the Magician books, though I'm glad I at least didn't do the extremely teen nerd thing of trying to copy him with a D&D character.

You probably don't remember Locklear because he mostly disappears from the books after the Riftwar Saga. Spoiler for Prince of the Blood, a book I barely remember Locky gets killed off camera in an attempt to incite a war. It is a pretty depressing end to the character, especially compared to some of the other characters that Feist presumably liked more.

I don't remember the age thing all that much aside from that Jimmy the Hand book, the Arutha romance thing barely registered with me. The lack of woman agency was pretty bad though, I don't remember a single book with a woman main character aside from the side books set on Kelewan. I think this was pretty typical for the genre at the time, books aimed at boys written by adult boys. I haven't read any of the newer stuff, maybe it has changed. Still not as bad as fellow fantasy writer Piers Anthony, who I read way too much of as a teen.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

There are some amazingly trash spells. Nightfingers might actually be the worst spell in any game I've ever played. I can't even think of a close second.

At least it does something. The Realms of Arkania games have multiple spells and skills that literally have no use, aside from wasting your skill points and mana. My vote for best spell is Grief of 1000 nights, it basically takes an enemy out of the fight with a low cost, no rng, and no line of sight bs. Just consistently useful from the moment you get it. Oh, and the spell that lets you see containers on the map if you don't use a guide. It is so easy to miss a chest or dirt pile in this game

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
I just wanted to say I have been enjoying this too. Last time I played betrayal was at least 10 years ago, this is bringing back a lot of memories. I was planning to play along, but the fights just got so monotonous I couldn't keep going. I seem to remember this chapter was one of my favorites just because of how different the location and story is for this section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Great LP Purple, it was a fun nostalgia trip. I tried to play through with you, but it was too painful to go back to this game. Combat just gets so samey after a while, and there is a lot of it. Never played Antara, so I am looking forward to what bullshit that game will get up to.