Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

PurpleXVI posted:

Turns out that despite playing through this game like three or four times, I never knew it was possible to push the crystals diagonally before
wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

quote:

So, as you know by now, the Mind Melt spell is "impossible" to get in the patched version 1.02 of the game. This is the version GoG has, as well as the free abandonware version from before that. And (I think) the CD version - basically everything except the original floppy version.

This spell was ONLY available by completing a mini-quest in Dencamp on the Teeth. In one house, a "red haired" guy gives you a password to tell the guard house just north of him. It's the wrong password, though. Originally, you go back to him, intimidate him, and he gives you the correct password - "diamond". Unfortunately, for some reason, in version 1.02 - the only version you will ever play, most likely - he is no longer at the house, and you cannot get he correct password, thus you can never finish this quest or get the "Mind Melt" spell. EVER.

This is a great spell, so I messed around with the hex a little and figured out how to fix/advance the quest REALLY simply.

After you start the quest, and are told "golden treasure" is the wrong password, make a save. Then, open it with any simple hex editor. I used HxD. Go to line (or "offset") AC0 (listed as "00000AC0"). The 6th digit will be a "4" (so, like, xx xx x4 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx will be the full line). Just change the "4" to a "C". Save the file. Exit. That's all. Just load your game, and go talk to the guy now. He will give you the right password and allow you to finish the quest and get the spell.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Krondor.

This game is not called Betrayal at Eggley, after all.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The best spell is Dragon Skin and it's not even close.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

There's also the item duping method that my kid self was very proud of independently discovering.

First, you need at least two stackable items and a place to store them (like, say, LaMut fountain). Then you fill up the stash with all the items that it can hold, then remove one of them. Put one charge/unit of the item you want to duplicate into the stash. Then put one more of that same item into the stash. The game will ask 'how many'. Select the highest amount and the game will spawn that many items out of thin air. Repeat until you are super rich.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Both the chest and the shop that provide Skin of the Dragon are on the most direct route to Krondor in Chapter 1.

And as noted earlier, as long as you get a cast of SotD off, you win that combat.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Flowers don't bloom well in the frozen north, so fresh corpses are used as a substitute.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Nighthawk treachery had silenced their cannons and too many men had fallen in four days of heavy fighting.
Does Northwarden actually have cannons at that point? I thought it was still ballista/trebuchet kind of era.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I found those magicians to be the single hardest unavoidable encounter in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

From what I recall, if you kill Makala and run away from Dreads, you can loot a third Staff of Macros from his body.