Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I started this game many times as a teen, but never got past chapter two. Never got my hands on the related novels, either. The perils of small town living before the age of Amazon.

Though I am on a Tolkien kick again lately, and those elf names are rather shamelessly ripped from Sindarin. Which is legit, Tolkien was shamelessly pulling from all kinds of sources and wrote about that model of cultural transmission! They'd be, in order dark elves, star elves, and loud elves (that is, orcs). Not sure if that actually corresponds to any of the lore, but interesting. Also, if that also means similar pronunciation rules then the dh in all of those is a voiced th, as in thee or they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

From my long off memories from playing this game a little, you should save-scum haggling without buying anything to boost the skill. Then find a lute in an abandoned house somewhere and practice far too much to boost that skill. Use the haggling to pay for replacement strings (or full lutes?) as needed.

Following that, notes on Tolkien influences. I checked the dates and the first Riftwar book was published five years after the Silmarillion. So influence from Tolkien's deeper legendarium isn't too surprising, nor is random mashup of word parts from the glossary in the back. Not that I'm tooo familiar with that. Let alone accidentally mixing words from different languages and not noticing until well after the nickname/handle was established. Whoops!

In any case there wasn't much more than the name stuff I noticed at first:
* Moredhel is a Sindarin word meaning 'dark elves' - 'mor' is dark, 'edhel' is elves. In Tolkien's works these are elves that wholly rejected the summons to the Blessed Realm at the start of the story*. The one example in the Silmarillion is a pretty nasty person, as is his son.
* Eledhel is another Sindarin word meaning 'star elves' - 'el' is star, 'edhel' again is elves. All of Tolkien's elves are star-obsessed, predating the sun and moon, so this doesn't map to any of his categories.
* Ardanien seems to be a mashup of Arda, Tolkien's word for the whole world, and -ien a typical English-language way of denoting a country.

Other words either just have a vague similarity to words from Tolkien's works: Armengar is a little like Angmar, the evil kingdom founded by the lead ringwraith. Valheru is a little like Valinor, the name of the Blessed realm (and where the High Elves came back from). It could also be Valh (a made-up syllable) + 'eru' (desert), but that seems a stretch. As does 'Eagle cavern' as a translation for Thorgath, especially since Gorath corresponds to nothing at all.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

DGM_2 posted:

This is a fair point.

Alright, my standing vote for the rest of the game is that you must EVENTUALLY do everything - no letting "lost forever" stuff go by - but otherwise you're welcome to do things whenever you think it works best for the LP.

Likewise

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Tortolia posted:

Detour if it makes sense with your LPer knowledge of what is chapter limited, but don't do content that can be used to better flesh out later chapters imo.

Do this.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

This is now further than I ever got in the game. I always got distracted sidequesting, and wasn't too good at the combat so would get stuck and frustrated.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

Reminds me of the story with a weird dodecahedron thing that got dug up at some place and archeologists didn't really have a clue what it was, until someone else unrelated realized it was something used for knitting.

These ones? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

Oh hey, sure enough it mentions the knitting, if just as a theory (but it's wikipedia, so even if there were knitting clubs saying 'we use those in modern times!' it'd still say just a theory). I don't think it mentioned that last time I looked at the article.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Yes, likewise I'm enjoying the comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Antara. I remember trying the demo, but thought it was a sequel so kept making attempts at BaK first, which I had gotten for free from some demo disk.