Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

This game. This game is one of my RPG white whales. I will forever be chasing after it, but whenever I actually get anywhere something happens to knock me completely out of it. Computer problems, real life problems, whatever. It's a personal invitation to trouble.

The novelization was okay, though. One early bit that stuck with me that I'm almost certain isn't in the game is Owyn describing his spellbook as some kind of mix of journal and workbook - messy, confused, and deeply personal, instead of some orderly tome. That's actually done a lot for how I think about and present wizards or the arcane grimoire in stuff like D&D. They aren't using some deep code to decipher, it's just highly idiosyncratic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Locklear hasn't had a proper vacation in a long time, and Owyn and Gorath could stand to see the sights - never know if a good chance for some tourism is going to pop up again! Indeed, it's Locklear's duty to show off the beauty of the kingdom (and its haunted forests) as a good host, and take the longest possible way around.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

So that's Jimmy the Hand? I've heard stories of him, supposedly quite skilled, for a human.
He is pretty skilled. So what do the moredhel stories say about me?
Oh come on, there aren't any stories about me? I tagged along for all those adventures and I don't even get the smallest bit of fame? This is the worst.

This bit was particularly amusing to me because I came at these games before the books - and backwards at that, with Return to Krondor first and then this. So I played entirely through Return, found out about Betrayal, and went back to it... and wondered who the hell this Locklear nerd was because he's obviously noteworthy as a major PC, but I can't recall a single instance he gets so much as mentioned in Return.

I don't have much of a memory of him from the books, either, but to be fair I basically downed those in such a rush in my teens that I barely remember a thing about them anymore. Mostly I remember getting really enthusiastic about Pug as a character for a while after reading the Magician books, though I'm glad I at least didn't do the extremely teen nerd thing of trying to copy him with a D&D character.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The real answer is pretty much "because D&D," where the makers of that would admit that the amount of gold being thrown around is ridiculous but also chests full of gold coins are really satisfying to find as treasure. And then you get into video games where even that gets flattened further into "no there are no smaller currencies, gold pieces for everything!"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'd love to get a look at Antara first. I've played RtK extensively, though not for a long time now, and some stuff is seared into my brain still.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

His survival would have some notable implications for the world when stuff set after Betrayal had already been written, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Schwartzcough posted:

So forgive me if I missed it or forgot, but was it ever explained why Delekhan was so mad about his guy capturing Gorath and bringing him back to the Northlands? At the time I was thinking that Delekhan had some villainous plot where he needed the heroes to unwittingly do something for him, and that's why he didn't want Gorath captured and kept him alive afterward, but.... I don't remember anything coming of it.

So, pardon if my recollection is off because I'm not fully caught up on the LP itself so if it got explained in what I haven't finished, well, whoops. But anyway. Basically, Gorath is warning about an invasion, but he's warning about the wrong (kind of) invasion. So the Kingdom is going to bolster its defenses in entirely the wrong places and ways if they listen to Gorath.

e: beaten like a drum