Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Betrayal at Krondor is one of my "must play" games that I'm never going to actually play all the way through, alongside Ultima 6 and System Shock 1.

The farthest I've ever gotten is the second Chapter, when you lose Locklear and get Jimmy the Hand. Then you wonder why Jimmy keeps whiffing all the strikes Locklear was landing.

I remember the map making the first Chapter look deceptively easy. It looks like you can just go down the coastal road to Krondor, but I think there is a difficult encounter that causes you to be waylaid. Either that or I was terrible at this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I first played Betrayal at Krondor when it came out in 1993. I wasn't even ten years old, but I thought beating Dragon Warrior made me a role-playing game expert. I never got past Chapter 1. All these years later, I thought the map was gated per chapter with difficult encounters and only now realize that's not the case, I'm just terrible at this game.

Anyone who bought this in 1993 certainly got their money's worth. I don't think there was a role-playing game with the same production value, depth, and scope until Baldur's Gate.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

how the gently caress do you play either bg in 30 minutes

I just watched someone beat Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in 16 minutes via abuse of Offensive Spin, Oil of Speed, and Invisibility scrolls. What seems to make it work is that Baldur's Gate advances the plot based on the player finding plot items, not by killing plot enemies. So the guy just zoomed past everyone, grabbed the plot device, and fled. The few cases where combat was required he cheesed by buying wands of fireballs or frost. His character never swung a weapon at anyone. The final battle was a scroll of magic immunity and three scrolls of Cloudkill. Pretty creative, I think.

Incidentally, the speedrun also taught me what the Clairvoyance spell in Baldur's Gate did. Never tried that one, I thought it only detected hidden doors or something.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

...so what does it actually do? I played that game religiously when I was younger and I never knew either.

It simply reveals the entire map. The spell only works outside, but scrolls work indoors and underground. The speed-runner used one scroll to reveal the maze underneath the Thieves Guild and rush to the exit.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I can't imagine a more awkward moment with an ex-wife than to saunter into her house after leaving half a dozen corpses on her front lawn. That would invite a few questions instead of a foreign language lesson, but hey, I'm not a Moredhel.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Judging by Cullich's dialogue, she probably prefers the corpses to flowers. I'm not sure if it comes across stronger in the book or in the game, but she's very clear that she's not interested in Gorath if he isn't bringing home a bouquet of skulls and victory every evening.

Which, to be fair, he's been doing every evening so far. Cullich, give the guy another chance!

Gorath would just invoke the Bro rule to continue hanging with Owen though. The boy seems to have grown on him.

raifield fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 23, 2021

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

Apropos of nothing, I really dislike how this game lists your money in [X] s (sovereigns?) and [Y] r (royals?), but then lists everything for sale as [X] gold and [Y] silver. I had this game as a kid and I always thought that my [X] s were silvers, and therefore everything was orders of magnitude more expensive than I could afford.

How did I never notice this

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I know that when I become an archmage, the first thing I'm going to do is wear an open tunic without buttons. Pajamas? Nonsense, never heard of the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

So the big question is, do people want to see an LP of Betrayal in Antara or are we skipping straight to Return to Krondor?

I vote for Betrayal in Antara. It graced the cover of the first issue of InterAction I received in the mail and I've been curious about it ever since. I've tried playing it in DOSBox via Windows 3.1 but the game somehow looks worse than Betrayal at Krondor and it never grabbed me. I'd love to see a playthrough of it though.

Thanks to this LP, I just started my own playthrough of Betrayal at Krondor, so thanks for that! Hopefully the 16th time is a charm...