Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my new work from home job is for united healthcare servicing dsnp plans which is basically when a person on medicare is also so poor and unhealthy that they need medicaid as well, and can also be end of life care and poo poo like that so when i finally get on the phones taking calls it's gonna be the absolute most sob poo poo imaginable and I'm trying to make sure I'm sufficiently crack pinged so that when I inevitably get soul crushing awful phone calls of people who are wheezing their nearly last breaths while trying to figure out the intricacies of the american health care system, I can simply jokerlaugh my way through it and be callous enough to not give a single poo poo because if I let myself care about the people who call in it will inevitably destroy my mental health. so I figure, I should make sure that I review the facts of the matter in my own mind before the calls even start, which is that all of this is happening anyway, I need a job and money, and that if I don't hear their sob stories I won't care about them by default so i should simply not care about them when i hear about them either because the alternative would just gently caress me up too bad. I'll do my best to help them navigate the website or whatever though

e: to be clear for anyone who might have the wrong idea, im literally just gonna be helping them navigate the website for the most part, so detachment is actually appropriate here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A very large part of my job is writing software that provides metrics on LTSS / DSNP patients.

The future of healthcare is steadily moving towards singlepayer because we can't afford anything else lol.

nah, we'll just let people die.

McNugget Buddy posted:

Prevnar 13 is $300 and Pneumovax 23 is $150 - that's why they gatekeep it so hard

You can go to a pharmacy and say you smoke and they'll process it through your insurance - otherwise you can just pay cash

if you haven't told your insurance company that you smoke then this could have some pretty serious consequences i think

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McNugget Buddy posted:

On the other hand, if they already know, free pneumonia vaccine!

yea just making that point so nobody who doesn't smoke thinks it's a good idea to go tell a pharmacy that they do smoke to get a vaccine thru their insurance. that is a v bad idea

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

yeah i always assumed if the system didnt fully collapse on itself, a medicaid buy-in option would emerge. would be way better than what we have now

I think you guys are underestimating the USA's lust for the death of the poor, this country is more than willing to hurt literally everyone from top to bottom including the rich if it means a few more poor people will suffer and die. it's better if they profit from it but the suffering of the poor is an end goal just as much as it is a means to an end in this country

The feds are already trying their damndest with the ACA expansion. 29% of all rural Pennsylvanians are on Medicaid right now.

There will come a point where Medicaid / DSNP LTSS / Medicare insures everyone except extremely rich people and those people will be covered by commercial programs that basically turn into concierge healthcare. Unfortunately every loving step of that process is being fought by pretty much everyone.

fwiw no insurers make money on ACA marketplace insurance. The money is in Medicare / Medicaid incentive-for-performance pay.

are DSNP plans usually, like, good? I ask because I'm curious as to whether I should expect calls of frustrated angry dying seniors or people who are mostly getting what they need

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Serious talk here, DSNP or LTSS (long term services or supports, used synonymously sometimes with DSNP but it isn't) are last resort programs for people who have no other means of support. They're basically compassionate last-resort care. I'm glad we're doing them because it's a sign that our society isn't a total toilet bowl yet.

If you're going to be fielding plan related calls it's good odds you'll be dealing with caregivers or proxies more often than those being cared for. It's not an easy job.

hopefully you mean THEIR jobs aren't easy

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

There aren't any easy jobs out there.

sure there are, they're just only for rich people.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Turgidson posted:

ok here's a fun exercise. open your search engine of choice and look up "usa average cost covid-19 hospital stay"

god bless america. i don't know how you stay sane to be honest.

we dont. that would cost money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

roomforthetuna posted:

79 C-section deliveries seems like a lot to have in one day.

she sure must be tired!!!