Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Your point number two overestimates the North American air defense system in 2001 (and today, frankly) by several orders of magnitude. There are no missile batteries set up around the Pentagon or anywhere in the continental US. Even when there were (we're talking the 1960s), they weren't designed to stop civil aircraft from crashing into buildings, they were designed to fight Soviet bomber formations.

Yeah this, the defensive measures in place in and around America were built to deal with either a civilization-ending nuclear strike or a boots on the ground invasion. There wasn't a pressing need for the ability to violently intercept aircraft that suddenly went radio silent and veered off their scheduled course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

khwarezm posted:

The world opinion polls on this Wikipedia article are a bit of a trip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polls_about_9/11_conspiracy_theories

The trend I'm seeing is that countries that have Al Qaeda doing bad poo poo within their borders (Central Africa) believe the official story while countries that have gotten used to America and Israel making up excuses to bomb them went down the Truther rabbit hole

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

NYT did a good story on it, but the full thing is behind a paywall: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/08/technology/loose-change-9-11-video.html

"I recently went back and watched several versions of “Loose Change.” (There are at least five English-language versions in total.) I also spoke to Korey Rowe and Jason Bermas, a producer and editor on the film, along with several experts on the 9/11 truther movement. (The film’s director, Dylan Avery, declined my interview request after concluding that I was writing a “clickbait article that blames a movie that came out 15 years ago for everything wrong with the internet today.”)"

I strongly suspect the author is not the first journalist to make an article like this, and Avery deserves to be hounded by every one of them

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

no hay camino posted:

Y'all are gonna be blown the f away when Jim Carrey spills the beans on his deathbed

I feel like Jim Carrey was nowhere in conspiracy theories* and then last week Knowledge Fight did a profile on someone who thinks Biden is secretly him in old-age makeup. What gives?

*Well yeah, he's married to anti-vaxx Patient Zero but even at the height of that he was all "She's just looking for answers after our son got diagnosed, don't get too mad at her" not dismissing but not giving his full-throated support either