Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I admit I haven't kept up with developments these past 20 years, but I feel like part of why there may have been so many conspiracies also is that even more than just the racism - although that was a huge part of it - is the fact that, like, the plan loving sucked.
If I was some authority figure in al-Qaeda and my underlings came to me with the 9/11 plan, I'd loving laugh them out of my office/cave/tent/secret-fortress. It was an absurdly stupid plan that basically relied on a mixture of luck and America loving up hard.

al-Qaeda didn't win the 'battle' of 9/11 so much as America lost it.

And it's easier and more comforting to believe in a sinister conspiracy of evil masterminds than it is to accept that you were beaten by idiots.
See also: part of I suspect why there's the whole myth of the Nazis as efficient badasses and Hitler as an evil genius. It's more comforting to think the world was nearly conquered by a bunch of supervillains than to realize it was nearly conquered by a bunch of insane idiots who couldn't do the most basic tasks properly.

The above post explains why it wasn't a stupid plan: there was a golden age of hijackings for a while, where you'd just sit on a runway in Cuba or Libya, and be ok. No one realized how serious the situation was until it was too late. Shooting the planes down would have been an absolute last resort option. And of course Flight 98 got wind of what was going on and retook the plane, because box cutters seem a lot less scary facing down certain death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's a lot of weird debris in explosions like that. Some things get pasted but some things just... land. When that malaysian airliner got shot down over Ukraine I remember seeing a debris field with an intact Harry Potter book just sitting there on top of the wreckage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
9/11 as an inside job to invade Iraq is really gold when there was, in fact, a whole bullshit conspiracy casus belli made up anyway.

I'm sure those WMDs will show up any day now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Since this thread last came up I have actually shacked up and got engaged with a flight attendant which makes the whole 9/11 conspiracy stuff even more absurd. I know where she flies to every day, I know what days she has to spend the night away from home, I know most of the flight numbers because we work at the same dang airport. If one of her flights was reported crashed into a building, I would notice she never came home. I'd flip the gently caress out and demand answers, actually.

Presumably the hundreds of passengers and crew on the 9/11 flights also had family and loved ones. Why the gently caress go through all the shenanigans with hijacking and/or slaughtering the people and then shooting a cruise missile? The giant CIA/Mossad coverup could just set up the controlled demolitions and go "terrorists set bombs."