Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Intercepted" is not the same thing as shot down. Those fighters would've failed to make radio contact with the planes and then watched more or less helplessly as they rammed into the towers. As it was, the only fighters that even managed to take off that day, in a failed attempt to intercept United 93, were unarmed and their pilots had agreed they would have to ram the airliner out of the sky.

Also, like, the military wasnt notified of a hijacking until like 8:40ish. By the time they were airborne the second plane had already began its final approach. The planes also had their transponders turned off. The only plane they learned was hijacked while it was still in the air was flight 11. Which they learned was hijacked a full 9 minutes before it flew into the first tower

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

likewise, in 2001, there is not constant recording of public spaces as became ubiquitous later (partially because of 9/11). even at this time the best you'd often get is security reusing the same vhs tape until it is completely fuzzed out. why would there be a film record of people boarding planes?

There is footage of Atta going through security. It has been released and there is literally a still of it on the wiki page.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

huh, timestamped and everything

i was just shooting from the hip assuming the poster was repeating nonsense. i guess technically there's no footage of atta boarding the plane so we can still retreat a bit into questionland

i think my assumption still holds true, in the early 2000s we were still on the cusp of ubiquitous recording of public spaces because the infrastructure necessary was still a bit too expensive and cumbersome

Oh no, your answer was still satisfactory.

I just think its revealing how many of the theories are based in pure lack of info, not even disinfo, but like literally not knowing there WAS footage of the hijackers going to the gate at least. The planes not being shot down too. They didn't even know of a hijacking at all until 9 minutes before the first plane struck. Didn't get anything airborne until the second was on its final approach. This is all well attested public info.

I am more than willing to entertain theories about foreknowledge and Saudi involvement and such, but the suggestion of the planes being anything but planes is where I draw the line. We have literal phone calls from the moment of hijacking to impact from the plane. And a guy on my street definitely went from a happy middle aged man to a piece of thighbone the family got in the mail a year later.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 17, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

britishbornandbread posted:

Completely apropos, sorry, but the clamour over the 9/11 anniversary has come and gone so nowhere else really to say this. I watched the 2006 movie United 93 today and it’s truly uncomfortable watching. It made me feel emotional now, twenty years on, and I can only imagine how it was received coming out only five years after the attacks. Very intense viewing.

I feel like 20 years on the horror of it strikes differently. It's like "did that really happen, what the gently caress"

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Presto posted:

I used to have to take annual training about counterintelligence and terrorism, and before 9/11 the advice if you were on a hijacked flight was to stay calm and obey the instructions of the hijackers, because they probably just wanted money or were making some political statement.

After 9/11 all bets are off and the advice was to take whatever action you think is necessary.

Yeah. I remember it was even brough up, using planes as missiles, in some Counter terrorism articles, but it always referred to stuffing a cessna with bombs and flying it into something.

No one thought it was possible you could get 5 people together to kill themselves, much less 19.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The above post explains why it wasn't a stupid plan: there was a golden age of hijackings for a while, where you'd just sit on a runway in Cuba or Libya, and be ok. No one realized how serious the situation was until it was too late. Shooting the planes down would have been an absolute last resort option. And of course Flight 98 got wind of what was going on and retook the plane, because box cutters seem a lot less scary facing down certain death.

A flight 175 attendant even called home and told them she would be going on vacation for a while, maybe to Cuba. They totally would not have been able to take the planes post 9/11.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Yeah. Books and passports take an insane speed to break and have a low terminal velocity. The only real risk was fire. A good portion of the plane went "through and through" so to speak.