Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ouroboros posted:

Of course they were, that was my point? To say that Bush's administration could have done what it did in Iraq and Afghanistan without 9/11, I don't see how. Not anywhere near as easily and quickly as they did.

I don't recall the exact term being bandied about at the time, but the idea as summarized during the early Bush administration was... call it "disaster politics." To wit, the GOP had seen the power in making wedge issues and opportunistic plays out of random events, and set in ready to very deliberately exploit the hell out of any such events as they emerged. This wasn't the first time someone had tried to blow up the WTC, this wasn't the first incidence of someone flinging planes into buildings. US foreign policy and actions were already fueling violent blowback.

So they knew something was coming, because peaceful times never last forever (especially when you're the one stirring the pot up for trouble), and were ready to leap on anything. All it took was something to give them an excuse, and they "luckily" got a wildly dramatic one. It's disaster planning, but for moving as quickly as possible to gently caress people over after the disaster instead of mitigating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU