Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TasteTheRambo posted:

I need help.

My dog(13 year old black lab, border collie mutt as best we can tell) is refusing to eat dry food and if I give him canned food he licks the liquid/gravy off but leaves the soft wet chunks behind. He's started losing weight due to this. I would take him to the vet but I'm disabled and barely get enough money to live and the last time I took him to the only vet in town to be neutered, they put him in a filthy cage and he got a mange-like disease on his hind quarters that took me a long time to get under control and cured. So I'm very disinclined to visit them. Also I am unable to drive due to my disability so that doesn't help any.

He's been my best friend since he was born and fit in the palm of my hand(now he's a 80lb big boy). I'm terrified he's at his end...

He probably is. How is his hydration rate? Pick up the skin at the nape of his neck (gently) and look for an elastic reaction. How long does it take his skin to pop back to normal? Instantly? A while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Okay just because the dog is drinking doesn't mean he's hydrated. My top guesses: kidney failure, diabetes, pancreatitis, liver failure.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

i hope your dog feels better soon op

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TasteTheRambo posted:

Systemic Kidney Failure. I just ordered the execution of my best friend and only remaining family that lasted the last 13 years. I was with him when he passed, I owed him that much. I'm still bawling my eyes out...

The goodest of good boys:

It happens. I had one go from perfectly fine in April to loving dying in may. we spent $4000 and she lasted 22 days. pet insurance had our back. she was 11.25 years old and deserved a hell of a lot better. there is loving nothing you can do if they're advanced in age, op. you were with him. you did your best. that's all you can do for a good lad like he was. nephrology in pets is a loving joke unless, by some miracle, you get a dog or a cat that is very slow to advance. most of them are not that.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TasteTheRambo posted:

I feel like I betrayed then murdered me best friend who only showed me care and love. I'm a piece of poo poo.

When you don't put them down you spend weeks feeding them by hand and then they have a massive heart attack in front of you and drop dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TasteTheRambo posted:

I know, deep down in my black heart, that it was the right thing to do. But thats not how it feels at all. I still wake up wondering in the middle of the night thinking I heard his bark. I had to take my laundry basket and put it on my mattress(because it takes up about the same amount of space as he did) just to get any sleep at all. I've already gained 20lbs... I need another dog. A puppy...So theoretically it'll be the longest possible time before I break my heart again.

So get another dog.

As for right and wrong, he was a dead dog walking dude. He wasn't going to recover. Your options were to let him go at home (probably not in the most visually appealing way) or pay for his death at the hands of the vet, which was much quicker than starving to death.

Dying dogs do not leave us with a lot of good options.