Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

That is actually a very good point!

*drumroll*

Mephiles Phase 2

Ending and Credits

Don't forget, we got the Silver Medal collection left - THEN it's a wrap for Shadow!

ALL HAIL SHADOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Final Story
*clap clap clap*
FI-NAL STO-RY
*clap clap clap*
COME ON THREAD LET'S GO

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dabir posted:

ALL HAIL SHADOW
HEROES RISE AGAIN

Kikas posted:

Final Story
*clap clap clap*
FI-NAL STO-RY
*clap clap clap*
COME ON THREAD LET'S GO
[boringly] excuse me we still have to collect some silver medals tyvm

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

ALL HAIL SHADOW

There's been a bunch of times in the series that I wanted you to comment over the cutscenes, and the lack of reaction to OBLITERATING EVERYTHING THATS NOT YOUR FRIEND really hurts the experience.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Bonus content of a cutscene only video with commentary would be great.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Did you know it's hard to record commentary while making lectures until half past 10 at various evenings while ALSO moving two apartments at once? Crazy I know. But most of that is over now!

FeyerbrandX posted:

There's been a bunch of times in the series that I wanted you to comment over the cutscenes, and the lack of reaction to OBLITERATING EVERYTHING THATS NOT YOUR FRIEND really hurts the experience.
Well, it's not like it would be blind...

SystemLogoff posted:

Bonus content of a cutscene only video with commentary would be great.
I'll keep that in mind! Can't promise anything - let's finish this first, eh?

Soleanna Silvers

Thus concludes Shadow's Story! Next up: holiday break (yes I'm aware I'm just off a hiatus), then we should be ready to roll at our usual slow but steady pace!

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Next up: holiday break (yes I'm aware I'm just off a hiatus), then we should be ready to roll at our usual slow but steady pace!
Insert 'Now Loading' joke here.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Aquatic Base Hard Mode

I wanted to spend the first week of the new year - which I took off - to start working hard on the LP, as well as furnish the new apartment. Instead, I found out that I got COVID over Christmas, after dodging it (at least to my knowledge) all this time. Welp! It's not too bad, but it puts a damper on things, so let's see how it goes. I did manage to finally edit this last Hard Mode video of Sonic's together, so that's something at least. Enjoy!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:lol: This conversation about Yuji Naka was months ago and now the man stands credibly accused of insider trading and other crimes. How time flies.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

:lol: This conversation about Yuji Naka was months ago and now the man stands credibly accused of insider trading and other crimes. How time flies.
Haha, I didn't even realize that during editing

in other news, I decided to finally change my avatar back after the imp zone mishap, I also started recording Last Story

Going well so far

EDIT: this may come as a surprise to some but End of the World is really, really loving bad lol

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 3, 2023

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The Dummy Ring Bomb that Tails has is actually a much less deep cut than you think: It was introduced in Sonic Heroes, though you probably never saw it there because you can only use it when you somehow end up as Tails alone with both Sonic and Knuckles dead.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Are you all ready for the grand finale, where every possible goodwill towards the game and its story goes is extinguished like Sonic's life & the canonical existence of the game itself?!

Opening

End of the World

Music

End of the World

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Sonic, I’m coming!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Someone wrote that cut scene.
Someone was actually paid for writing that cut scene.
Someone was paid to direct the voice actors to read the script that someone was inexplicably paid for writing for that cut scene.
Someone was paid to animate the characters on screen that the voice actors were directed to the script that someone was unbelievably paid for writing for that cut scene.
Someone went to a factory, mastered a disk that actual people produced and packaged that contained the animations, voice acting and writing that people were somehow paid for creating that cutscene.

God is dead.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

pointlessone posted:

Someone was paid to direct the voice actors to read the script that someone was inexplicably paid for writing for that cut scene.
Someone was paid to animate the characters on screen that the voice actors were directed to the script that someone was unbelievably paid for writing for that cut scene.
Someone went to a factory, mastered a disk that actual people produced and packaged that contained the animations, voice acting and writing that people were somehow paid for creating that cutscene.

God is dead.

It's okay, Elise kissed him and now he's back.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why the gently caress is it called "Mephiles's Smile" if he has no loving mouth????

The black holes are, bar none, the worst mechanic in this game that is full of bad and broken mechanics. They are just blatantly unfair, placed haphazardly in a way that many areas become borderline impossible to traverse if you let too many of them spawn in. Managing the controls when two of them are near you at once is a nightmare, it is a guarantee that you'll die to this multiple times trying to adjust to the sudden shifts in velocity. The red ones aren't as bad, but they are an obstacle that depends on the Havok physics so that of course means that they are totally unpredictable and will kill you at the most random times.
All of this is bad enough to deal with when you already know it's coming, but if you don't it's just a grueling ordeal and a game over means you need to do the whole thing over again (you will game over your first time doing this.) Some sections like knuckles's just give you no clue what direction you need to go in order to progress, you just need to fly around until you see the chaos emerald while an increasingly unmanageable number of insta-death orbs are popping up around you. The purple glint that signifies an orb is about to spawn can also be infuriatingly hard to see in the visual noise caused by bloom lighting and the color filter, causing you to just get jumpscare killed by an orb.

what a terrible level

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
After all you've been through and all the affection and patience you've lavished on this game, ending with such a wet spluttering fart of a final stage really does seem ungrateful of it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Sonic, I’m coming!
I considered making this the thumbnail phrase but couldn't bring myself to write "Simon Enjoys Coming"

pointlessone posted:

God is dead.

The CGI company who did these scenes is honestly excellent and definitely deserve their money (they also made the seriously good looking scenes for Shadow the Hedgehog, but later also Dark Souls 2...and all three Sonic movies), but even they were obviously pressed for time and budget here. The models used in this cutscene are hideous.

Augus posted:

why the gently caress is it called "Mephiles's Smile" if he has no loving mouth????

The black holes are, bar none, the worst mechanic in this game that is full of bad and broken mechanics. They are just blatantly unfair, placed haphazardly in a way that many areas become borderline impossible to traverse if you let too many of them spawn in. Managing the controls when two of them are near you at once is a nightmare, it is a guarantee that you'll die to this multiple times trying to adjust to the sudden shifts in velocity. The red ones aren't as bad, but they are an obstacle that depends on the Havok physics so that of course means that they are totally unpredictable and will kill you at the most random times.
All of this is bad enough to deal with when you already know it's coming, but if you don't it's just a grueling ordeal and a game over means you need to do the whole thing over again (you will game over your first time doing this.) Some sections like knuckles's just give you no clue what direction you need to go in order to progress, you just need to fly around until you see the chaos emerald while an increasingly unmanageable number of insta-death orbs are popping up around you. The purple glint that signifies an orb is about to spawn can also be infuriatingly hard to see in the visual noise caused by bloom lighting and the color filter, causing you to just get jumpscare killed by an orb.

what a terrible level
lol I didn't catch the mouth thing haha

Absolutely agree with the black hole opinions, in case that wasn't clear enough from the video. I obviously by this point know exactly how to avoid them, but it's basically pure memorization gameplay and that is indefensible in a modern platformer as far as I'm concerned (unless the whole game is upfront about being that kind of thing, no offense to Kaizo or masocore or whatever you want to call it fans).

Gertrude Perkins posted:

After all you've been through and all the affection and patience you've lavished on this game, ending with such a wet spluttering fart of a final stage really does seem ungrateful of it.
I'll write a sternly worded letter to Sega in 2006

Good news tho: the final boss is better

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe you managed to keep up your upbeat attitude to the game throughout all that.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I still can't believe you managed to keep up your upbeat attitude to the game throughout all that.
Would you believe I'm even more upbeat in this video?

End of the World S-Rank

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

And with this, the game closes its final chapter onto itself. Be prepared for most of the Solaris video to be a bit of a rant.

Solaris

Ending

Music

Solaris Phase 1
Solaris Phase 2

The plan for the rest of this mess is to try and push through the Hard Mode videos as efficiently as me and my pals manage, then see if I can get Very Hard set up in a live react way to my satisfaction. Then it's just Team Attack Amigo remaining (I'm not blind on that), because I probably won't re-do the boss rushes because there's no real point.

Until the Hard Modes keep popping up, you can treat this as semi-finished, I'm sure as hell willing to treat it as a bit of an accomplishment already ;).

Bonus: I invite you to take a look at the sublime (current) World Record of Last Story by Nick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM_zzE1SXEs

Especially of note is his strategy for Silver's part.

Coincidentally, I've been talking to Nick (and his fellow runner Sly <--- check out his Twitch!) on Discord, and they've been educating me about the weird super high jump the gliding characters sometimes do, especially noticable with Knuckles bouncing off the eagle statue in the EotW S-Rank video: if you release the glide button the very frame you glide into a sloped surface, you get catapulted upwards. The height of that catapult is dependend on how long you've been gliding for. Fascinating stuff!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 5, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Simply Simon posted:

Bonus: I invite you to take a look at the sublime (current) World Record of Last Story by Nick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM_zzE1SXEs

Especially of note is his strategy for Silver's part.

That freaking crateride :stare: The use of damage invulnerability buffering was also notable for sonic's part of the final boss.

omething I'd not noticed in the End of the World video; each segment of the level has its own (very short) music loop with different instruments.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thanks for being our tour guide through this trainwreck Simon. You still haven't convinced me to try and play 06, but your talk about engaging with it on its own terms and all that did get me to go back and give the Adventure games a fair shake - 120 hours for 2 and 20 for 1 later, I had them complete with all emblems, and I think I might actually love SA2 now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

IMHO

no matter what anybody says about Sonic 06, at least we can all agree that His World kicks rear end

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Finalhazard is generally comprehensible but sucks poo poo for figuring out how to avoid all that poo poo it's throwing at you and how the switching mechanic works.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

That freaking crateride :stare: The use of damage invulnerability buffering was also notable for sonic's part of the final boss.

omething I'd not noticed in the End of the World video; each segment of the level has its own (very short) music loop with different instruments.
I noticed that on like the fifth replay of the stage; it's rather subtle, but it's also really cool!

Dabir posted:

Thanks for being our tour guide through this trainwreck Simon. You still haven't convinced me to try and play 06, but your talk about engaging with it on its own terms and all that did get me to go back and give the Adventure games a fair shake - 120 hours for 2 and 20 for 1 later, I had them complete with all emblems, and I think I might actually love SA2 now.
That is wonderful, thank you so much for sharing that! I don't think that this whole thing really needed to be about 06 in particular, but more about sharing the philosophy of accepting games as they are, rather than what you want them to be. It's amazing that it worked for you and SA2 - maybe at some point it will for me (I still don't really like the game, but I've never given it the same time and attention I have 06).

Augus posted:

IMHO

no matter what anybody says about Sonic 06, at least we can all agree that His World kicks rear end
These lists are always tricky to discuss and full of personal preference, so here's just some comments:
- not personally experienced: Dark Queen, Finalhazard, The End, Alf-whatever, Eggrobo Wii U/3DS, so I can't say anything about them
- Nega-Wisp armor is indeed top tier, perfect chaos is also quite good
- Forces was fine, yeah
- 3DS time eater was much better than the OG one, I don't remember it super well but it's probably fair to put it on the same level as Solaris
- Metal Overlord phase 1 is actually pretty good, with all the teams working together, Phase 2 is awful but at least once you realize you just have to build meter then push butan it's...fine?
- Devil Doom is also firmly okay once you realize the circling around thing. It loses out on one thing: sometimes you just don't find enough rings and lose which feels awful
- I think PDG in Unwiished is much better than the HD one, so I'd put it a tier above
- I don't really remember the Nega-Mother wisp but I readily accept that it's terrible (I think I did try to S-Rank it a bit and just gave up at some point because I couldn't figure out how to do one of the phases consistently)
- Time Eater is absolute bottom tier trash

So yeah basically I agree mostly

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I never understood why we've had to fight Perfect Chaos twice but with worse music the second time. It's an "allright" boss at most.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Anyway, thanks for the LP. I've followed this game with morbid curiosity since release, through speedruns and other LPs, seen people hate and give up on it more then once. Never played it myself tho. I've seen the potential in this, but never showed off like this, so congrats! Also you finished this! Yay!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Yeah, thank you so much for your had work, Simon, and thank you for letting me be a small part of it! I hope that this helped show people that it's possible to give a game like this a fair shake, even with so many prior assumptions. And that a lot of it still absolutely chews, but there are some pretty good pieces of design in there.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Thank you for your kind words!

We're not done, as I said.

Crisis City Hard

Tropical Jungle Hard

Dusty Desert Hard

Let's not dawdle, though!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Turns out, these are actually kinda time-consuming to edit lol

White Acropolis Hard

Radical Train Hard

Aquatic Base Hard

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

And that finishes us up for Silver!

Kingdom Valley Hard

Flame Core Hard

I've started recording Shadow - first three levels are done, footage-wise - but it'll take a bit to get people together and record and such, then edit. We'll just take our time here, I see no danger wrt not seeing this through all the way at this point.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
drat, another flame core, another missed opportunity to get hit during the jump to the volcano.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

behold the ultimate lifeform

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

*Triumphant stage end jingle plays*

S Rank.

perfect, no notes.

E: you know what gently caress it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCTG09NNN-E

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 25, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

amazing

also this is going to be even funnier when you'll see the actual video (gonna be a bit, it'll be in the last update for Hard Mode after all). Just keep it in mind for now lol

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

*Triumphant stage end jingle plays*

S Rank.

perfect, no notes.

E: you know what gently caress it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCTG09NNN-E

:allears:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Finally got around to some more editing. I had some issues with Radical Train and wanted to fully convey them...

See the plentiful cuts in the red circle? Those are all deaths. Except for the ones where I didn't die, but also didn't get an S-Rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hot drat that's a lot of death