Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Your banner image links to the wrong video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

WaltherFeng posted:

Sonic 06 is a piece of poo poo but I appreciate you taking time to understand its underlying mechanics.

I say this as a person who played Left Alive and even liked it to some extent.
Thanks!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Your banner image links to the wrong video.

Whoops! Thanks, fixed :)

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
It's been a while since I saw an interesting Sonic 06 LP, and this is such a good and interesting idea that I can't not follow it! In my previous academic life, I watched five separate LPs of this, and yours is the first time I'm seeing a playthrough that doesn't just explore all the different positive aspects of the game, but runs counter to the "canonical" conception of the game as an unmitigated, irredeemable mess. Very excited to see where this goes!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

It's been a while since I saw an interesting Sonic 06 LP, and this is such a good and interesting idea that I can't not follow it! In my previous academic life, I watched five separate LPs of this, and yours is the first time I'm seeing a playthrough that doesn't just explore all the different positive aspects of the game, but runs counter to the "canonical" conception of the game as an unmitigated, irredeemable mess. Very excited to see where this goes!
Hope I can show you what you want :)

In honor of getting a good White Acropolis recording just now (that first section is like pulling teeth) and because Silver was such a non-video, here's a second feature of the day!

Town Mission 2-4

[in a very Big voice] Doggy!

Music

Town Mission 1
Town Mission 2
Town Mission 3
Town Mission 4

Hey look! It's the one that sounds like Flash Man! (#4)

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Fun Sonic Facts are NO USE!

Silver's creation was actually inspired by the development process itself! During early development stages, where the development team was making huge levels with multiple paths through them to test out their new physics engine, the idea popped up to include a new character whose special powers let him use the physics themselves to play through the levels. This lead to Silver being given his psychic powers (originally meant to be granted to him by the Chaos Emeralds, but a later rewrite just gave him the powers without explanation).

And yes, the second time travel came up writer Shiro Maekawa immediately and explicitly based Silver off of Future Trunks from Dragon Ball.

However, the mechanics of the psychic abilities actually came from a different action game Sonic Team was working on. According to Shun Nakamura, Silver's abilities were originally designed for a different action game named Fifth Phantom Saga, a (later cancelled) FPS that starred a wraith with powers very close to Silver's. This emphasis on psychic powers also bled over into his design, as the team wanted to really make him stand out from the other characters with special accoutrements. In fact, the design team developed over fifty different concepts for his final look, like a futuristic headset and markings on the hair. One of the team's first ideas was to make a character that had Sonic's scarf-like hairstyle, but with 'even more volume'.

This idea led to Silver's first incarnation being an orange mink named 'Venice', a cute reference to how Soleanna was patterned after the real world city of Venice, Italy. However, the developers ultimately scrapped the design, believing that an orange mink would be too out-there to be taken seriously as a character next to Sonic and co., changing his fur to a whitish gray to better suit his position as an antagonist (and to utilize their new HD shaders).

Fun Fight Facts!

It's entirely possible for Silver to chuck you through the invisible wall surrounding the arena, allowing you to explore pretty much all of Soleanna for as long as you want.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't mind the loading screens so feel free to save the effort the game doesn't deserve.

Also it seems like Sonic 06 is getting a renaissance to go along with the Venetian inspiration. Someone was streaming it last week and mentioned something that I hadn't heard before.

She's a princess whose going to be queen... but her dad is a duke. Not queen consort or anything, just queen. Strange line of succession I guess or very few peers in the city.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Cutscene Sonic vs gameplay Sonic

https://i.imgur.com/DbYj5Ou.mp4

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
As someone that played through Sonic 06 (twice!) in the period where it's reputation was more "that new Sonic game is kinda poo poo, yeah?" before stuff like the pokecapn lp made it the legendary kusoge it's become and tried to convince themselves that for all the problems there was something there that could've been more I really appreciate this approach and will be following

I mean, the game is absolutely garbage and deserves all the savaging it's gotten over the years but trying to meet it half way is neat and I've enjoyed the vids so far

azren posted:

:yikes: I suddenly feel like I'm in danger...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Secret Rings was amazing or anything, I just really enjoyed it at the time. I might not feel that way now, but I did at the time.

I remember the sentiment at the time being "the game is fun once you've levelled up the controls but the fact that you even have to do that is pretty lovely" which I also remember agreeing with but I haven't actually touched the game in more than a decade so my only real impression left is MAKE BELIEVE'S REBORN

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't mind the loading screens so feel free to save the effort the game doesn't deserve.

Yeah, with the reduced load times from the emulator (and the fact that I'm just skipping the cutscences anyway because I've seen them enough times at this point) I don't really mind if they're left in the videos. Whatever makes it an easier process for Simon to put this all together

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 27, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

06 came out at a time when I wasn’t yet online and didn’t look at game reviews so I had the special experience of getting it from my parents and thinking it would be good, lol. I remember reading the whole instruction manual before playing the game (as was the style at the time) and then playing the game itself and being really confused at stuff that was missing or different from the instructions, and falling into all those beginner traps like the wave ocean loop, getting a game over and getting sent back to the opening cutscene because there was no auto save.
It kinda makes me a bit nostalgic, lol. I think it might’ve been my first experience ever being really disappointed by a big new game I had been looking forward to. I still toughed it out all the way to the end of the game though because it was Sonic.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DMorbid posted:

The 360 demo build created for the X06 event actually had multiple improvements such as a less terrible camera, tons of bug fixes and improved animations, and this was also the build that was released as the official demo on Xbox Live. However, because this is Sonic 2006, these improvements were only in that Xbox demo and never made it back to the main build.

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(2006)/Xbox_Live_Arcade_Demo

Here's a really interesting comparison between the demo and the final game, including content you can't normally access in the demo. It had bugfixes for things like sticking to the ceiling in loops, but it was supposedly less stable so they had to revert to an earlier build to get the game out of the door.

Is there a way to still download this on a 360? It's not listed here. I'm sure it's possible to run it on the 360 emulator but TRCF doesn't have a link to download the demo.

Heavy Sigh posted:

...At least until Ogawa decided that porting to Wii was completely impossible and that he would just make an entirely new game instead of just recombining the teams.

"You've ruined a perfectly good game."

"Correction. Two perfectly good games."

I'm not convinced this would have been a good game with more development time. It's just a bad remake of Sonic Adventure to me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kut-xHTC4iQ

hot drat that corkscrew animation off the rainbow rings looks amazing

Also the combat is insanely more fluid

This Shadow makes a lot more sense than the one in the final game who is just...worse Sonic

EDIT:

Augus posted:

06 came out at a time when I wasn’t yet online and didn’t look at game reviews so I had the special experience of getting it from my parents and thinking it would be good, lol. I remember reading the whole instruction manual before playing the game (as was the style at the time) and then playing the game itself and being really confused at stuff that was missing or different from the instructions, and falling into all those beginner traps like the wave ocean loop, getting a game over and getting sent back to the opening cutscene because there was no auto save.
It kinda makes me a bit nostalgic, lol. I think it might’ve been my first experience ever being really disappointed by a big new game I had been looking forward to. I still toughed it out all the way to the end of the game though because it was Sonic.
Just out of interest, was there any time where you thought "the game overall sucks, but this part is awesome"?

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 27, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The camera still looks pretty awful, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT:

Just out of interest, was there any time where you thought "the game overall sucks, but this part is awesome"?

The FMV openings for each story kicked rear end and kinda still do.
I loved the soundtrack
I remember liking the non-Mach Speed sections of Crisis City and Radical Train, and the spectacle-heavy first area of Sonic’s Tropical Jungle a lot.
I thought Kingdom Valley was a really cool level.
I thought Mephiles was cool and him killing Sonic was cool lol. Did I mention that I was like 11 when this game came out? I ate that Diet DBZ poo poo up as a kid. Did not see anything wrong with the story at all at the time (until the kiss, even my dumb kid brain thought that was ridiculous)
And the final boss I thought was awesome. Mostly because of the music.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 27, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Augus posted:

The FMV openings for each story kicked rear end and kinda still do.
I loved the soundtrack
I remember liking the non-Mach Speed sections of Crisis City and Radical Train, and the spectacle-heavy first area of Sonic’s Tropical Jungle a lot.
I thought Kingdom Valley was a really cool level.
I thought Mephiles was cool and him killing Sonic was cool lol. Did I mention that I was like 11 when this game came out? I ate that Diet DBZ poo poo up as a kid. Did not see anything wrong with the story at all at the time (until the kiss, even my dumb kid brain thought that was ridiculous)
And the final boss I thought was awesome. Mostly because of the music.
- kinda
- kinda
- yes; yes; yes EXCEPT for one of the stupidest Silver Medals in the whole game
- it is, just a biiit long
- lol
- a typical nightmare of conveyance but it's actually one of the better ones both in gameplay and presentation. That says more about the competition, though

Overall: look forward to me validating kid you

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

To White Acropolis

One more video, and we can have a level!

Wait, Tails is calling me on the invisible walkie-talkie...

ah gently caress it's White Acropolis

Music

Soleanna New City

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
As someone whose only exposure to Sonic 06 is the real time fan dub, it is incredibly jarring to see Silver be Budget Trunks instead of a neurotic wreck trying to stop Sonic from publishing his rap album and not hear Elise rambling about visualizing the ocean. It’s like a window into a different world.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
What I've never seen the secret room there, this is crazy :psyduck:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

:grin:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm looking forward to one of the most memorable things in this game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

That tornado looks strong enough to lift big chunks of metal, hm...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It has, in fact, ignited the entire municipality

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

White Acropolis

These are three levels: one of the worst ones in the game, a decent linear Sonic + Tails section, and a pretty good open field that is terrible at conveying where you actually have to go.

Things I like about this level:
- exploring the final part
- the Tails section is a really good secondary character level
- you can decide to get caught to rack up points, or try to stealth through for time bonus
- lots of unintended skips and tricks to discover (again, in the final part)

Things I dislike about this level:
- snowboarding. Like Jesus Christ it's insanely bad

Things I used to hate but I learned how to deal:
- just getting down the mountain - if I'm not looking for the medals, it's...okay. I now also know how to always do the final jump which I used to fail ALL the time when I first played it
- how to use Tails in general. CARPETBOMB
- the way the final section is arranged - it profits a LOT from just knowing where to even go

Music

Act 1: Snowy Peak
Act 2: The Base

By the way, I prettied up the OP because I finally decided on a consistent format for my title images.

No loading screen means no Act change. Silver plays only the second Act! Only Shadow plays both.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 1, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I hate realistic Eggman so much.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Fun Sonic Facts!

Well, summer is over, and September is here. Shun Nakamura heads to the Tokyo Game Show with hesitant steps, his pleas for extra staff after Ogawa's strange decision having fallen on deaf ears. But all hope was not lost, for, exceeding even his wildest expectations, his divided team managed to snap together a playable build to showcase at TGS (still behind closed doors). Just like E3, a cellphone video of the presentation leaked online only days later and managed to seriously impress people all over the internet. Yuji Naka, having not yet quit SEGA but rapidly growing disgruntled, proudly presents the new game and reveals the title to be SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, a name that he and Nakamura had worked out with SEGA upper management to indicate that this game was meant to kick off a whole new generation.

The tech demo was actually surprisingly advanced, with several features the final game would lack. The demo began with a heavily squished Kingdom Valley to better show off Sonic and the engine's capabilities. The Havok physics are shown off with Sonic knocking enemies into debris and destroying bridges much like in the final game, all set during a dynamic day-night cycle to allow stages to be playable at all times. This feature was cut shortly afterwards, which may honestly explain some of the weird time jumps in the final story.

Sonic also controls much more fluidly, as boost pads don’t lock him into a fixed path and his Homing Attack actually has sensible physics by following an arc down to the ground instead of a straight line that just drops Sonic like a rock when it ends. Grinding on rails is also much faster, giving an actual sense of speed instead of the lackadaisical sliding in the final product. Even the camera works better, as despite being kinda zoomed in when Sonic's moving slowly, it zooms out when he speeds up or reaches a more open area for better manoeuvring.

Everything said about the demo gave off surefire hit vibes for Sonic 06. No matter what troubles Sonic Team was or would be going through, SEGA wasn’t about to let the good buzz slip away. Therefore, on October 13th 2005 SEGA officially announced SONIC THE HEDGEHOG for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, releasing on Sonic’s 15th Anniversary, with the launch of its official webzone, showcasing E3 screenshots that spread like the plague across the net, to the point where those screenshots were used on the game’s official Xbox Live Marketplace page.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The banner in your last post links to Dusty Desert.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kikas posted:

The banner in your last post links to Dusty Desert.
How does this keep happening! Thanks, fixed.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wait, how did Shadow and Rogue get to the future? Huh?

Also, isn't it true that if you just let go of the analog stick at the start of the snowboarding you accelerate like crazy? There was a speedrun tech that allowed you to outrun the ball and be so fast, you didn't need to jump at the end of snowboarding.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kikas posted:

Wait, how did Shadow and Rogue get to the future? Huh?

Also, isn't it true that if you just let go of the analog stick at the start of the snowboarding you accelerate like crazy? There was a speedrun tech that allowed you to outrun the ball and be so fast, you didn't need to jump at the end of snowboarding.
Sonic's story in this game is extremely disjointed and makes almost no sense on its own. Most of the actual story is Shadow's, while Silver has his own thing going on. Rest assured tho that all of them taken together doesn't make it any more logical overall, just some questions like yours will be answered.

I don't remember that glitch from the speedruns I watched - but I'm not doing a whole lot of research, admittedly. If you find a source, I'm sure the thread would be enriched with a link to it!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
There are so many weird decisions in the Sonic franchise after the first couple of games that I don't even know where to start asking.

But I think my biggest question is: why the hell did they ever decide to include humans other than Eggman?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Finally got that [Shadow voice] drat S-Rank in Wave Ocean. Maybe a good in-between video soon!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Update post | Wave Ocean | S-Rank

Yup, quick update.

...for how many people does the banner look broken? Does it make sense what part of the image you have to click?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
It looks like this for me

Looking at the OP, I don't know if it would be clear that the S links to a separate video.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah this is a mess. I'll try again with half-size images, but not right now, haha. Thanks for the comment!

Generally, the bar would denote if there's a different link, but it's probably too subtle. It's fine, this is a work in progress [much like 06 lol]

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Doesn't the speedrun get hit at the very end to specifically avoid getting the S rank? I think they do, because otherwise the medal animation takes around 7 seconds.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kikas posted:

Doesn't the speedrun get hit at the very end to specifically avoid getting the S rank? I think they do, because otherwise the medal animation takes around 7 seconds.
The normal speedrun yes, but because I'm doing a 100% LP I'm using the All Medals Run as a resource.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrHWIgKcQFI

No reason not to link it, it owns a lot and the commentary is amazing. Just keep in mind that this will spoil the entire LP except for the "looking at most of the level design and discuss it" part :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ventana posted:

I know I said this before from the Sonic thread in Games, but I really enjoy hearing your thoughts as you go through Sonic 06. I enjoyed the other videos you did so far, so I'm eager to see you go through everything.

The longer you take the better, because hopefully the last parts of Project P-06 and we can start bugging you about that :v: , but for the sake of the LP I'm fine with you just focusing on the base game.

There sure do seem to be quite a few Sonic 2006 fan mods lately.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I've caught up on some of the game and ho boy. I was always only familiar with Sonic's story due to watching a lot of speedruns back in the day, I forgot the plat starts making both more and less sense as you dive into Silvers and Shadow story.
Can't wait :allears:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Trying the half size option. This should look okay on most monitors at least? Next step: make the "new video here" bars more obvious

EDIT: quick n dirty, also different downsize algo:

EDIT²: Just to be clear, there's space to the right for the Hard Mode + Hard Mode S-Rank video.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 9, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Crisis City

Man, this level could be so good. Amazing setting, varied gameplay, crazy setpieces, some rail grinding, some platforming, very little combat, probably the best music in the game - all the parts are there to make this a slam dunk.

Alas. It's in Sonic 2006. And therefore, it's definitely the perfect poster child level, the ideal choice to represent all of it - the potential, and its squandering.

Things I like about this level:
- most of the second act
- the rail grinding is much better than in Heroes
- some excellent shortcuts and varied paths in Acts 2 and 3
- the mach speed section is random as hell but at least it's a straight path
- also, the ring trails in it won't usually kill you
- no partner character or Elise
- skateboarding can be done relatively painlessly if you just keep going straight down

Things I dislike about this level:
- yeah the first and last act are still awful bookends
- it is a noticeable difficulty spike with all the death pits, and sometimes they getcha, and sometimes it's just not your fault
- bless xenia for making it less obvious, but the amount of loading screens in this stitched-together mess is horrific on hardware
- S-ranking is a roll of the dice

Things I used to hate but I learned how to deal:
- I can now finished Acts 1 and 4 relatively consistently without dying all the time
- knowing about the movement makes Act 3 extremely less painful
- I now know all of Act 2's various deathtraps

Music

Crisis City

The acts play different parts of the whole piece. It's weird.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I like the combined videos, though... it also staggers me how they weren't able to make things more consistent. Some things only work if you DON'T hold down forwards, other things only work if you DO hold down forwards...