Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
I don't get...
  • Tiktok
  • Twitter
  • Why conformity is so "cool"
  • The popularity of creepy weirdos who make Minecraft and Roblox videos.
  • Screaching streamers
  • These kids and their jazz music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I'm not blaming the young for this but you know what I miss?

Moats.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

phasmid posted:

I'm not blaming the young for this but you know what I miss?

Moats.

They're pretty underrated, why the hell wouldn't you have one?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SilvergunSuperman posted:

They're pretty underrated, why the hell wouldn't you have one?

Hard to find a good drawbridge installer these days unfortunately. One of my mates got a really solid moat put in, just quality stuff, but they completely forgot to get a drawbridge installer sorted. Turned out everyone local was booked solid for years. Took em five years in the end before they could get into their house again.

Love it now though. Totally worth it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only one I really don't get on any level is unboxing videos. I can't possibly care what a stranger gets in the mail, no matter how cool it is. I don't get to have the cool thing, I don't get to enjoy having given someone a cool thing, and these are people my age so there's not even that "little kid enjoying a gift" sort of fun to be had.

I don't see the appeal.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Das Boo posted:

The only one I really don't get on any level is unboxing videos. I can't possibly care what a stranger gets in the mail, no matter how cool it is. I don't get to have the cool thing, I don't get to enjoy having given someone a cool thing, and these are people my age so there's not even that "little kid enjoying a gift" sort of fun to be had.

I don't see the appeal.

You don't want to know what's in the box? Once in a while it's a bomb. It's the thrill you feel knowing that the person you're watching might be living the last few precious moments of their life. It's exhilarating. It makes you feel alive.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I don't see the appeal.

It's for kids who wish they were opening the same products themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_TUP2vuaDs

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Being wrong and out of touch

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Devils Affricate posted:

It's for kids who wish they were opening the same products themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_TUP2vuaDs

I have dreams about winning claw machine prizes and I'm always so disappointed when I wake up without my swag. I can't relate.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You don't want to know what's in the box? Once in a while it's a bomb. It's the thrill you feel knowing that the person you're watching might be living the last few precious moments of their life. It's exhilarating. It makes you feel alive.

Hell, I would settle for a glitter bomb.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Brad Pitt taught me sometimes you don't wanna know

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Brad Pitt taught me sometimes you don't wanna know

What did you even see the movie. He really wanted to know. Like he asked heaps of times, he was super excited to see. If he was that excited it must of been something really, really good.

I say you always want to see what's in the box :colbert:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Abandoning the twink aesthetic for hairy frumpy gerbil-man look with top-knots.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The weirdest thing 20 somethings do is me heh :smug:

But yeah, I am old as gently caress (31) and I live with 20 somethings. They're fine, but maybe I got the weird ones cause sometimes they have more boomer rants than I do. It's pretty cool. We have dinner and discuss 80s goth rock or whatever. Sometimes they have wrong (young) opinions but largely they seem okay.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

syntaxfunction posted:

The weirdest thing 20 somethings do is me heh :smug:

But yeah, I am old as gently caress (31) and I live with 20 somethings. They're fine, but maybe I got the weird ones cause sometimes they have more boomer rants than I do. It's pretty cool. We have dinner and discuss 80s goth rock or whatever. Sometimes they have wrong (young) opinions but largely they seem okay.

They are clearly unaging 80's vampires, and this is clearly a The Lost Boys situation.

They seem chill though, so all good.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Funko Pops. But I think those are more a general age thing and not just youngsters.

Like, why would I want a mass produced vinyl figure with the same body as every other Funko Pop painted a different color, topped with an oversized spheroid head with two large black dots on it for eyes? And why are they treated as if they are a rare item and you might as well die if you remove it from the box? These things are literally Malibu Stacy (with new hat!) repackaged again and again with a different box each time to show the world that it’s [CHARACTER] from [MEDIA]. I just think they’re hideous, to be honest, and would probably be less harsh about them if each head was different and more in line of who the character is instead of “oversized spheroid head with two large black dots on it for eyes.”

I mean, more power to you if you like them, different people like different things and I’m an old and out of touch weenie buttmunch, but I just don’t get them.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I get why Minecraft is a popular activity for young children.

I do not get why Catherynne M. Valente, a capable, award-winning author of fantasy works heavily inspired by folklore and myth wrote "The End: An Official Minecraft novel". What's going on here? It has really positive reviews, I guess??? Should I read it if I have no interest in Minecraft but enjoyed her other work??? Should I maybe work my way through all of her other stories first???

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Normalize sex work

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

temple posted:

Normalize sex work

Have you asked Norm if he want's to do sex work?

He really should have a say in this.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

temple posted:

Normalize sex work

Better than Norman Bates Sex Work

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
On TikTok, there's a trend of showing off your group's (I'm in my late 30s so hanging out in groups is already a youth thing) yearbook photos. What's funny is the young ppl's photos being clear, HD, in color. Compared to someone my age, whose yearbook photos were always small, blotchy, B&W smears.

Of course, there are also many videos of people ages 22-25 lamenting their long lost youth, posting photos of the good old days of 2017.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I was riding a plane, and seated next to and in front of me were some teenagers. Suddenly one of them suddenly pantomimes Loss with their fingers, and I was shocked the meme wasn't just for aging SA goons.

FlocksOfMice posted:

My friend saw children chase one another around while shouting "SUSSY BAKA" at one another and I think that's just swell, honestly.

I just got finished working at a job with a bunch of young 20 year olds and also children. I got called a sussy baka a few weeks ago by some young person, and they were incredulous that I didn't know the meme.

But the sheesh "meme" was definitely the most prolific thing. The constant shouting was whatever, but the face and arm thing was pretty dumb. It took me a while to realize it was a meme and not just some inside joke. I guess inside jokes may no longer exist.

1redflag posted:

I feel this way when I see someone casually skateboarding down the sidewalk and drinking/talking on the phone or whatever. I just think about How I’d just immediately eat poo poo ten seconds into a call cause I hit a tiny pebble.

I was sitting in a car at a red light when I see this guy skateboarding down the sidewalk "walking" his dog. I kept thinking it'd be hilarious if he fell. He goes to cross the street, and he enters the crosswalk fine, but then when he reaches the opposite curb, he absolutely biffs it and slams face first into the sidewalk right as we pull away.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Shadow0 posted:

I was riding a plane, and seated next to and in front of me were some teenagers. Suddenly one of them suddenly pantomimes Loss with their fingers, and I was shocked the meme wasn't just for aging SA goons.

:psyduck: How?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Young women these days really love wearing pants with those super high waists. First few times I saw it I didn't really get it and it seemed like grandma fashion, but now I can appreciate the aesthetical choice and realize it's better than bringing back bell-bottoms for the fifteenth time

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Oh, I thought they meant the whole strip all at once. This makes much more sense.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Boys dress like regular boys but they also paint their nails

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

zoomers doing a centre part in their hair just look awful

also the shaved sides and perm that you see all the young youtubers do

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh I thought of a terrible one: V-tubers. I already dont understand watching normal streamers, so I certainly dont understand why people would want to watch weird virtual streamers?

also, watching streamers and sending them money?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

zoomers doing a centre part in their hair just look awful

also the shaved sides and perm that you see all the young youtubers do

lol if you don't roll into the local barber shop and ask for a season 2 daniel jackson

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wish I could have the same haircut as jimmy Darmody from boardwalk empire but I have a Jew-fro and it is not possible.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
people who say hashtag [whatever dumb poo poo] in real life, sincerely, with no sarcasm

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

one day you're ironically saying hash tag blessed until it just enters your vocab

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I want Steve Harrington hair

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I heard some young person refer to a chicken sandwich as "bussin" one time and it make me real mad and confused.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I want Steve Harrington hair

That's a certified dreamboat

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ekuNNN posted:

oh I thought of a terrible one: V-tubers. I already dont understand watching normal streamers, so I certainly dont understand why people would want to watch weird virtual streamers?

Well it's like regular streaming but instead of a human chatting/gaming/drawing, it's an anime. An upgrade, basically.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

These kids love to eat rear end and idgi it tastes like rear end why would you do that

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The word is wretched. W-R-E-T-C-H-E-D. Not rachet, you stupid idiot.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

dr_rat posted:

Have you asked Norm if he want's to do sex work?

He really should have a say in this.

Well guess we can't now. RIP: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-15/comic-norm-macdonald-dead-snl-weekend-update-dies/100462440

Really didn't expect that to age so poorly so quickly. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Say "glizzy" for a hotdog.