Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get that but I’m assuming that your time is better spent doing literally anything other than sitting on hold on the phone, complaining to someone on the other end and/or trying to convince them your covid shot should be free, and then worrying about whether or not they told you the right information after getting the shot but before getting your bill.

No complaining, no convincing (lol expecting the person that answers the phone has any power whatsoever) just asking, getting informed in a tone of voice that say they’ve been getting asked this a lot lately (gosh guys maybe update your website) not even that long on hold.

FYI anecdotally it looks like BCBS seems to cover all Walgreens/Walmart locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
NPR is reporting the following re: paying for the booster:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/09/27/1202055493/covid-vaccine-booster-insurance-coverage

quote:

For those with insurance, whether you have private insurance through your job, or you're on government sponsored insurance like Medicare, it should be free to you, without copays or charges.

But Kates at KFF says insurers seem to have missed that memo, "or have been slow to get their systems ready to make that an easy process for consumers." For instance, a colleague of hers tried to get the shot at a pharmacy that was out of network on her plan, and her insurer refused to cover it, "which is actually against federal law and regulations," she says.

They kink to the following page (not sure who KFF are):

https://www.kff.org/infographic/insurance-coverage-of-updated-covid-19-vaccines-a-cheat-sheet/

quote:

Because of the Affordable Care Act and laws passed during the COVID-19 pandemic, COVID-19 vaccines will continue to be free of charge to virtually everyone with private and public insurance coverage, although uninsured adults will have no guarantee of free vaccines.

LEGAL BASIS

Private:

ACA: Requires private insurers to cover any ACIP recommended vaccine once the CDC Director adopts recommendation no later than one year later.

CARES Act: Expedited coverage requirement to 15 business days for COVID-19 vaccines

DOL FAQs: The 15-day requirement was already satisfied 15 days after first COVID-19 vaccine recommended in December 2020. As of January 5, 2021, any COVID-19 vaccine that is approved or authorized by the FDA must be covered immediately.

Again I don’t know who the KFF are, but the NPR linked to them and I’m assuming that the NPR have fact checkers.

But still, instead of going through this hassle of will they won’t they or if/when I’ll get reimbursed if I unexpectedly had to pay out of pocket I’d rather just tell CVS or whoever “I don’t have insurance” and not worry about it.

I’m lucky the pharmacist at Walgreens didn’t bother asking me to pay cause apparently they told my insurance I paid $45 out of pocket (and out of network so it doesn’t even count towards my deductible) and I’m doubly lucky that my insurance covered the vaccine either way. But if I had known there was a chance I’d have to pay $45-$150 I’d have just told them I didn’t have health insurance and get it over with.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 28, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Again I don’t know who the KFF are, but the NPR linked to them and I’m assuming that the NPR have fact checkers.

KFF is the former Kaiser Family Foundation. They're independent of Kaiser Permanente (though yeah, same guy) and they've got a very good reputation as a healthcare research and news org.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I worked briefly in one of kaisers call centers and in the training they said the overall organization was broken down into three arms. The health care provider side (their sort of walled garden system where they try to handle all aspects of healthcare), the insurance side, and the non-profit/policy recommendation side.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Yiggy posted:

I worked briefly in one of kaisers call centers and in the training they said the overall organization was broken down into three arms. The health care provider side (their sort of walled garden system where they try to handle all aspects of healthcare), the insurance side, and the non-profit/policy recommendation side.

Those are all parts of Kaiser Permanente; part of the reason why KFF changed its name is because Kaiser Permanente also has parts of it named "The Kaiser Foundation" and somesuch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
KFF is the Christian Science Monitor of healthcare, except that they’re not constitutionally forbidden from a change of name.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just got off the phone with Aetna asking about vaccination booster coverage. It was pretty clear they didn’t get this question before. Probably gonna call again tomorrow and see if another person can confirm it. I hate this country lol

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just book the appointment and tell them you don’t have insurance I don’t get what the reluctance is and think of all the poo poo posting you could do if you didn’t waste your time calling and talking to people on the phone?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bless hardworking county health departments. :patriot:

https://twitter.com/DurhamHealthNC/status/1707130759444636058

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Other than the reason why I don't have to worry about getting a shot for 6 months, I'm kinda glad I don't have to worry about getting a shot for 6 months.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Work surprised us by bringing covid shots to the office which was clutch. I was ready to take the following day off because I was sure I’d be flattened like I was with every single other covid booster, but I oddly feel fine despite my arm feeling like a mule kicked it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, my first two shots laid me out the next day, the next two boosters had me kinda tired,my updated one last Friday didn't really do anything.

Except sore arm. And improved reception on my phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Got my free covid test kits today on the same day the 5G nanobots were activated. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Got the new booster yesterday, feel like crap today but not as bad as the 3rd and 4th shots.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I had been doing Pfizer for everything until this booster, where I got Moderna. Pfizer never gave me a reaction but the Moderna made me feel gross and tired and gave me a headache for one day. No idea if the brand makes a difference and not that bad, all things considered.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I AM GRANDO posted:

I had been doing Pfizer for everything until this booster, where I got Moderna. Pfizer never gave me a reaction but the Moderna made me feel gross and tired and gave me a headache for one day. No idea if the brand makes a difference and not that bad, all things considered.

All Pfizer here for whatever it’s worth

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I AM GRANDO posted:

I'm the inverse (but same results), where I've been getting Moderna all this time and a couple days ago I switched it up and got Pfizer. Absolutely zero reaction from the Pfizer while previously I'd have chills and a fever for exactly 1 day after.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

I had 5 hits of Pfizer and the most I ever got out of it was a sore shoulder. I just take whatever one they give me, and that's how it worked out. I need to get my new booster still, are they all mrna based, or is that new moth vaccine out now too?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mischievous Mink posted:

I had 5 hits of Pfizer and the most I ever got out of it was a sore shoulder. I just take whatever one they give me, and that's how it worked out. I need to get my new booster still, are they all mrna based, or is that new moth vaccine out now too?

Novavax is shipping to distributors now, available later this week. However, the same are where I read that (phone posting or I’d link it, it was Reuters) claims the company has adopted “cost cutting measures” and will probably go broke if this doesn’t get strong sales. Call me crazy, but I’m not thrilled at the idea of a vaccine from a company that is “adopting cost cutting measures.” I wish we knew what any of that meant.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kestral posted:

Novavax is shipping to distributors now, available later this week. However, the same are where I read that (phone posting or I’d link it, it was Reuters) claims the company has adopted “cost cutting measures” and will probably go broke if this doesn’t get strong sales. Call me crazy, but I’m not thrilled at the idea of a vaccine from a company that is “adopting cost cutting measures.” I wish we knew what any of that meant.

Layoffs most likely? There's no need to worry about vaccine quality, it's strictly controlled.

It's sad because novavax has cool tech, but they were late to the market and by the time it became available the big selling point of not being mRNA didn't convince very many vaccine hesitant people. (Even though a lot of them said they were just worried about mRNA and would get a "traditional" vaccine, most of them didn't once one became available).

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

I'm the inverse (but same results), where I've been getting Moderna all this time and a couple days ago I switched it up and got Pfizer. Absolutely zero reaction from the Pfizer while previously I'd have chills and a fever for exactly 1 day after.

The Moderna dose is much higher than the Pfizer dose (100 μg versus 30 μg)
https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2023/05/moderna-beats-pfizer-among-two-dose-covid-vaccine-recipients-aged-60-and-over/

Moderna’s elicits a stronger immune response and might be better at preventing breakthrough infections.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/search/research-news/14645/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Are we still calling it breakthrough infections? in 2023? We've known the vaccines don't prevent infection past a few months for a while now.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Are we still calling it breakthrough infections? in 2023? We've known the vaccines don't prevent infection past a few months for a while now.

Yes since there's a substantial difference between the severe form of covid and the minor form that vaccinated people can get.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SaTaMaS posted:

Yes since there's a substantial difference between the severe form of covid and the minor form that vaccinated people can get.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense at all.

It was called a breakthrough infection back in 2020/2021 because it was assumed by many that the vaccines protected against infection. Later it turned out they didn't fully protect against infection, for a while they did but after a couple of months that protection waned and you would get mild disease instead. (like how most vaccines work). But the "breakthrough" moniker stuck, and it got a negative connotation even, suggesting that the vaccines weren't doing their jobs. (In reality they were, and still are!)

Relating it to severity of infection like you're doing is like rewriting history.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Huh? That doesn't make any sense at all.

It was called a breakthrough infection back in 2020/2021 because it was assumed by many that the vaccines protected against infection. Later it turned out they didn't fully protect against infection, for a while they did but after a couple of months that protection waned and you would get mild disease instead. (like how most vaccines work). But the "breakthrough" moniker stuck, and it got a negative connotation even, suggesting that the vaccines weren't doing their jobs. (In reality they were, and still are!)

Relating it to severity of infection like you're doing is like rewriting history.

Cool so what would you call it when someone gets vaccinated and still get serious illness from COVID-19

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SaTaMaS posted:

Cool so what would you call it when someone gets vaccinated and still get serious illness from COVID-19

Cool so are you saying a mild infection after vaccination is not a breakthrough infection?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Uh, so like I got Pfizer and can’t get a do-over. I’m still good, right? Like what the gently caress.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pfizer is absolutely fine. Moderna is fine too. Don't worry about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SaTaMaS posted:

The Moderna dose is much higher than the Pfizer dose (100 μg versus 30 μg)

Moderna’s raw power was making some people sad, so it’s only fifty micrograms now, and it has been since the “boosters” in the latter part of 2021. 2022’s bivalent Spikevax was fifty micrograms as well.

https://www.fda.gov/media/155675/download posted:

Each 0.5 mL dose of SPIKEVAX (2023-2024 Formula) contains 50 mcg nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (mRNA) encoding the pre-fusion stabilized Spike glycoprotein (S) of the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant lineage XBB.1.5. Each dose also contains the following ingredients: a total lipid content of 1.01 mg (SM-102, polyethylene glycol [PEG] 2000 dimyristoyl glycerol [DMG], cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC]), 0.25 mg tromethamine, 1.2 mg tromethamine hydrochloride, 0.021 mg acetic acid, 0.10 mg sodium acetate trihydrate, and 43.5 mg sucrose.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 9, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
1st time trip report: yeah, this sucks.

I think I got off easy, but I'm still in it. I'm like 40 days out from the latest vax, the two rapids I took on day one of feeling rear end both had faint lines that took a bit to show, and 1.5 days into paxlovid I'm feeling sort of normal already. That pax taste really is gross though.

And now I have some context..I'm pretty sure that would have taken my rear end out in 2020.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
still nuts to me that theres still people who have lasted this long without getting it at least once. i just assume everyone's had it once, then a friend or coworker will get it and say its their first time and my mind gets boggled.

regardless, get well soon goon.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

buglord posted:

still nuts to me that theres still people who have lasted this long without getting it at least once. i just assume everyone's had it once, then a friend or coworker will get it and say its their first time and my mind gets boggled.

regardless, get well soon goon.

First time they're aware of. I haven't kept up, is SARS-CoV-2 still largely asymptomatic?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
My family just got it for the first time last week (of course it was a work conference)
For me it feels like it barely qualifies as getting it as at worst I felt a tiny bit of sinus congestion feeling/headache and a positive line so light I could barely see it and then tested negative again 4 days after
I can see how some people can have gotten it and never known
My kid had one day of bad congestion and then had been mostly fine but still testing positive after 5 days. My wife has had it worst and it knocked her out for days but she also got it on the tail end of being sick with something else so her immune system was probably pretty knocked down. Paxlovid seemed to help a lot

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bald Stalin posted:

First time they're aware of. I haven't kept up, is SARS-CoV-2 still largely asymptomatic?

I still have to get tested for work before every job in my industry or you can't work (film, for the actors sake not mine sadly), so I was actively testing this entire time. This is the first time I've popped pos on any rapids in what must be at least a hundred tests if not more. I also haven't got sick in general since 2019 after getting and consistently wearing kn95s as soon as those were available

I don't mask in my apartment though (e: i don't live alone), which is likely how I got it considering masking seemed to work otherwise this long. I also stopped going to any crowded thing like galleries or concerts or anything, which honestly wasn't that big of a deal.

It is possible, and I do know a few other people who just were good about n95s who also haven't had for sure, one having constantly been through mastectomy stuff this entire period (thank god)

anywhoo, i don't want this again

e: this actually made me realize a specific worst case; i feel totally fine but continue to test pos for weeks, making me unemployable until i clear a test..i know this is a thing for some people, fingers crossed. going to rapid again on day 10

e2: being totally real rn, the covid threads on SA were the best source of info for masks, I totally had the 3m half-face thing going (which made me feel like a total idiot but clearly worked in the pre vax, no n95 availability first part of 2020)

SA threads also helped me not starve to death when the only things open were grocery stores and all the grocery delivery services were price gouging and booked solid (don't have a car)..some genius goon pointed out curbside pickup never had a wait time, and i could just get a courier to take the groceries from that curb to mine..that was some clutch advice. not bad for a dead gay comedy forum

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 7, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bald Stalin posted:

Yeah, I can’t believe I’ve never had it, but I haven’t really gotten sick since 2019 other than a cold that was over in two days.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Washington post profile of the new CDC director, not particularly complimentary:

How CDC’s new director is trying to regain trust shattered by covid

quote:

[...]
The Washington Post attended public and private meetings over three days with Cohen in Atlanta and Washington, D.C., in September and spoke with three dozen agency officials, Biden administration leaders and public health experts to discuss her early tenure. The snapshot that emerged captures someone who acts quickly and decisively, sometimes at odds with long-standing CDC tradition and engendering frustration among staffers who say her expediency has at times led to confusion and redundant work.

Shortly after arriving as an outsider to lead the agency, she sent senior officials a “Mandy Cohen User Guide,” a two-page document of bullet points detailing “the most productive user experience using me.”

Cohen, a physician and the former North Carolina health secretary, does not like surprises or “meandering meetings,” the guide warns. She wants to be kept in the loop with “frequent, SHORT updates by email.” Otherwise, the guide says, “I (often wrongly) assume nothing is happening.”

Several senior officials said they appreciated her candor and readily responded when Cohen asked them to fill out a similar document. But their forms included an assessment of their weaknesses, a category they noted Cohen’s “user guide” omitted.

Installed at the CDC by the White House in July, Cohen is tasked with restoring staff morale and public credibility at a time of extreme political divisions and fading trust in government — and in science. The 12,000-person Atlanta-based agency has become a target in Congress and on the campaign trail: Republican presidential candidates such as Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Vivek Ramaswamy have vowed to gut the CDC if elected next year, insisting that the agency’s covid-19 guidance was too cautious and led to unreasonably long school shutdowns, rising mental health woes and other social problems.

Almost all the negatives are coming from within CDC, interestingly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Deep state :argh:

011524_3
Jan 16, 2024
to be post-internet

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Researchers in Switzerland might have found out that the complement system is causing long covid:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38236961/

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/sci-tech/zurich-researchers-find-protein-clue-in-long-covid-puzzle-/49141422

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adn1077

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Florida surgeon general defies science amid measles outbreak

quote:

As a Florida elementary school tries to contain a growing measles outbreak, the state’s top health official is giving advice that runs counter to science and may leave unvaccinated children at risk of contracting one of the most contagious pathogens on Earth, clinicians and public health experts said.

Florida surgeon general Joseph A. Ladapo failed to urge parents to vaccinate their children or keep unvaccinated students home from school as a precaution in a letter to parents at the Fort Lauderdale-area school this week following six confirmed measles cases.

Instead of following what he acknowledged was the “normal” recommendation that parents keep unvaccinated children home for up to 21 days — the incubation period for measles — Ladapo said the state health department “is deferring to parents or guardians to make decisions about school attendance.”

The controversial move by Ladapo follows a pattern of bucking public health norms, particularly when it comes to vaccines. Last month, he called for halting the use of mRNA coronavirus vaccines, in a move decried by the public health community.

Ben Hoffman, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics, said Florida’s guidance flies in the face of long-standing and widely accepted public health guidance for measles, which can result in severe complications, including death.

“It runs counter to everything I have ever heard and everything that I have read,” Hoffman said. “It runs counter to our policy. It runs counter to what the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] would recommend.”

Measles outbreaks have been on the rise in recent years. So far in 2024, at least 26 cases in at least 12 states have been reported to the CDC, about double the number at this point last year. In addition to the six cases confirmed in the Florida school, cases have been reported in Arizona, California, Georgia, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York City, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Experts say the outbreaks are linked to the growing number of parents seeking exemptions from childhood vaccinations in recent years following political backlash to coronavirus pandemic mandates and rampant misinformation about the safety of vaccines.

In January, the CDC issued a warning to health providers to be on alert for more measles cases. Infected people are contagious starting four days before a rash develops and until four days afterward.

Because measles virus particles can linger in the air and on surfaces for up to two hours after an infected person leaves the area, up to 90 percent of people without immunity will contract measles if exposed. People who have been infected or received the full two doses of the MMR vaccine are 98 percent protected and very unlikely to contract the disease. That is why public health officials typically advocate for vaccination amid outbreaks.

in parallel...

Tax records reveal the lucrative world of covid misinformation

quote:

Four major nonprofits that rose to prominence during the coronavirus pandemic by capitalizing on the spread of medical misinformation collectively gained more than $118 million between 2020 and 2022, enabling the organizations to deepen their influence in statehouses, courtrooms and communities across the country, a Washington Post analysis of tax records shows.

Children’s Health Defense, an anti-vaccine group founded by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., received $23.5 million in contributions, grants and other revenue in 2022 alone — eight times what it collected the year before the pandemic began — allowing it to expand its state-based lobbying operations to cover half the country. Another influential anti-vaccine group, Informed Consent Action Network, nearly quadrupled its revenue during that time to about $13.4 million in 2022, giving it the resources to finance lawsuits seeking to roll back vaccine requirements as Americans’ faith in vaccines drops.

Two other groups, Front Line Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance and America’s Frontline Doctors, went from receiving $1 million combined when they formed in 2020 to collecting more than $21 million combined in 2022, according to the latest tax filings available for the groups.

Full articles at the links and well worth the price of subscription as usual. Crossposting to the pseudoscience thread in SAL. As ever, the financial motive reflects the urgent need for greater regulation, direct enforcement against and removal of the people and products that can profit from alt-med misinformation.