Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would you even be admitted to the hospital if you didn’t need oxygen? A bad fever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

I think that people such as how are u may really not realize that people such as this exist. I don't think he's just venting with an understood asterisk next to what he's saying that considers people like my friend, I think he genuinely doesn't realize they exist and doesn't realize that he is including them in his callousness.

I think they probably have some degree of emotional investment in a worldview that won’t allow them to comfortably believe that people in that situation exist, so they’ll continue to ignore those situations and prioritize the worldview that lets them keep living in a horrible, intolerable world that they couldn’t continue to live in otherwise. It’s not really a personal failing, but it’s a problem.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So with the announcement that boosters have been approved for people with jobs that put them at high risk of exposure that include grocery workers, teachers, and healthcare workers, does that mean basically anyone can claim they have a high-risk job?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Surely someone has said “brunch-covidian” by now, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pay a ubi every month for the duration and people going outside won’t be a problem. Use the national guard to deliver fresh food to every residence each week. It doesn’t have to be dystopia, except for the profit motive thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can’t avoid the hospital forever. Eventually I’m going to need it and it will be full and I’ll die.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

StrangeThing posted:

You're insane. People need to go outside. People need to exercise. Children need to leave their homes.

Is everyone here such a goony goon that you don't understand why parents taking their child to a playground is, you know, something you should be able to do?

"Just do it for a year, it'll be fine."

Oh okay.

I don’t think there’s a serious risk of infection for vaccinated people to be outdoors. A ubi would fix people needing to work indoors and near each other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do we know yet that omicron is mild? Seems like hospitalizations are up up up recently.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is binax better than other brands? It’s like with kn-95s: I have no idea what’s good and what’s trash or a scam.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Honestly I would say anyone who has an issue with covid vaccines every 6 months is either:

1) anti-science / anti-vax
2) brainwashed into neoliberal ideology

This has been known since delta and to be surprised at this point is to admit to not paying attention (which I wouldn’t say is a bad thing given hold dire the covid news is).

Neoliberalism would be enthusiasm for 2x yearly boosters if they were sold by drug manufacturers and distributed by private pharmacies and health providers, with end-user costs covered by a means-tested tax credit that must be requested by mail with .pdf forms that can only be printed on home printers. Also the manufacturers own the vaccine patents and the genome sequences of all people involved in clinical trials, in perpetuity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It has to work, though. How long until we know that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t think it’s been established that the booster works fine against omicron, but I’m definitely not opposed to shifting vaccine production toward getting three doses to everyone in the world who hasn’t had any.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not unusual for deaths from other causes to go up in Covid times. People put off getting things checked out or don’t go out, or can’t get in to a hospital. I haven’t seen a dentist in two years.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Where are people getting the idea that omicron is mild, other than some countries having lower hospitalization and death numbers? This seems premature, like the belief early on that children were unaffected or at zero risk of serious illness.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Levitate posted:

how else do you determine the severity of something? looking at hospitalizations and deaths compared to cases is a decent way, but most people are still hedging their bets with "it looks like, so far" etc

could be that things play out differently in the US or other places. Also I think it's worth saying that "omicron is milder" means on an individual level someone may be less likely to end up in the hospital etc, not that we will see fewer hospitalizations overall (since omicron is far more infectious, even fewer hospitalizations per case could mean more hospitalizations overall)
I feel like I've seen people arguing past each other over that distinction in this thread which isn't surprising.

My question is specifically for people posting that first proposition as if it were true beyond reasonable doubt. As you suggest, I don’t think hospitalization rates can tell you with any certainty what’s going to happen to you if you get sick. I mean, I want it to be true, but “omicron signals the end of danger and covid has now mutated into its safer final form” seems like a big, big claim that needs a lot more investigation than “South Africa didn’t have that many people in hospital compared to test numbers.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

You'll need to quote the person you're talking about, I guess. I don't recognize the statement you put in quotes.

I’m asking how we can investigate the claim that covid is now a mild experience at the level of the individual, and therefore nothing to be seriously concerned about in day-to-day life, or what we would need to do in order to investigate that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, people have to go to the hospital for other things. I’ve been putting off routine care for a while now waiting for covid to go away. Something is going to fail eventually if we just accept that huge numbers of people will just always be on vents in addition to normal flow into hospitals.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can someone with content-area knowledge please interpret that tweet about t-cells?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

So a bit of an insensitive question:
What is a reasonable level of pandemic control, to protect the vulnerable, who can't rely on a vaccine?
If the virus had a 0% sickness rate for vaccinated people, so they'd be completely asymptomatic, but would spread it freely everywhere, and anyone close to it would get infected, while the ones who can't vaccinate have a high fatality rate, would you consider it justified to be on a perpetual lockdown to lower the deaths among them?

Is this a hypothetical? I don’t see how it relates to our current situation with covid, which doesn’t have a clear distinction between those who would be completely asymptomatic and those who are vulnerable. The “vulnerable” pool is extremely large with a lot of variability in how vulnerable people might happen to be.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MixMasterMalaria posted:

This business about eradicating the virus by eliminating all deer and mice has to be one of the most ridiculously fantastical bits I've read in D&D and frankly a very poor use of public health resources in terms of reducing human suffering/premature death compared to stuff like aggressively going after Malaria and other tropical diseases. It does have a certain appeal though and it's fun to imagine a world where people go all in to eliminate diseases. I'm picturing millions of people fastidiously combing through the world's forests hunting down every tick and mosquito breeding spot.

There are actually proposals to eliminate certain species of mosquito by introducing modified breeders that would drop the birth rate below replacement level, specifically to eliminate malaria. I think nobody has followed up on them because it’s extremely dangerous to remove entire species from the environment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

qhat posted:

First off, syphilis is a bacteria, it's not comparable.

Secondly, this seems like a pretty disingenuous question. Every single virus is different in their epidemiology on an extremely fundamental level. You cannot compare SARS-CoV-2 to any of those and draw comparisons, for one the virii you mentioned make you immune for life once you catch them and so their potential for infection is limited by comparison. You're basically asking for a breakdown of a number of arbitrary virii in the expectation that the expertise doesn't exist on this forum. It's not really needed though, because I believe the expectation for SARS-CoV-2 is that it will follow the pattern of all previous coronavirii and become a mild endemic infection over time. There is no reason to believe this won't be the case since that seems to be where this family of virii converge to, and it's more likely it'll follow this pattern than be that Really Bad One that kills a bunch of people enmasse every year.

What about that question suggests to you that it is disingenuous?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

What is the purpose of this? Biden has already demanded businesses drop all mandates and force Americans back to work regardless of what the American people actually want. The anti vax and r/nonewnormal people won thanks to the conservative's blood brother: liberals.

This just seems like they want to either take a victory lap or enjoy the attention.

Regardless we are setting ourselves up for a disastrous new variant to sweep like delta did. Hong Kong is popping like crazy and it’s only a matter of time before that variant or something similar hits us. It’s going to be frustrating seeing all the usual downplaying of the variant before the “how could we have known” articles.

It’s a demonstration of strength. It’s like the “free speech” stuff from 2015-2018.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe I’m stupid, but wouldn’t that kind of increase correlate with more people being hospitalized, or with higher test positivity rates? What exactly is the claim with that wastewater thing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When was their message anything different? I guess last year it was “we gave you $2500, now get back to the office!”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there a point to creating variant-specific boosters, or does it still mutate too fast? Subjectively, it feels like omicron has been the dominant strain for longer than the other ones predominated, at least by a few months. Maybe reporting on new variants has dropped off, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rochallor posted:

I'm not sure that this is the best example given that the FBI was so obvious in their entrapment that it ended with most of the guys getting off.

This might be outside the boundaries of this thread, but the obviousness of the entrapment is not why they got off. The fbi did exactly what they’ve done countless times to nab muslims, but for—some reason—it didn’t work this time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Could North Korea really have avoided exposure until now? That seems unlikely even with their closed borders.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What chance do we have of actually getting omicron-targeted boosters by October? That’s only two months from now. It took me like six months from when the original booster was released to actually find an available appointment for one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Loading refrigerated vaccine doses from refrigerated storage at a vaccine plant to a refrigerated cargo plane without breaking the cold chain (or half the vials) is probably slightly more complicated and time-consuming than haphazardly chucking boxes into the back of a FedEx truck.

I feel like we're way too eager to assume that career public health officials - not even the political leadership, but people who've literally made inspecting and transporting vaccines their actual day job - are just pointlessly dragging their feet on important public health measures for no reason whatsoever.

They hosed up pretty bad the first time, though. Like, a bunch of times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

freebooter posted:

I agree that we don't possess the necessary data, so in that situation most people are going to be guided by their personal experience. My personal experience is that virtually everyone I know has had COVID by now and none of them, including clinically vulnerable people, got long COVID. (But of course I also live in a place where 95% of people are double vaccinated and 60ish% are at least triple vaccinated.)

This is like saying that you think smoking is fine because your uncle smoked a pack a day and lived to be 90. And indeed it’s true that your chance of cancer is not increased by 100% or even 65% (is it below 50%? I think so but can’t check just now) if you smoke a pack a day, but it’s not useful to figure risk out this way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Any news on that omicron-specific booster that was discussed as being a goal by October?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it really true that there are millions of doses of the omicron booster ready to go once they’re approved? It seems too good to be true. Are things going right for once on this stupid planet?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m hungry for that loving omicron booster. I know nothing will change, but for me that’s the threshold where I just accept covid as endemic and as permanent as the yearly flu.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

killer_robot posted:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/08/22/1118788439/vaccine-maker-asks-fda-to-greenlight-updated-omicron-booster-shot

'Pfizer and BioNTech said they have submitted pre-clinical data on vaccine efficacy to the FDA, but did not share the data publicly.'

'Pfizer and BioNTech also report that they expect to start a human study on the safety and immunogenicity of the BA4/BA5 bivalent vaccine this month.'

'Earlier this year, vaccine makers presented U.S. and European regulatory authorities with an option for a bivalent vaccine that targeted an earlier version of the omicron variant, BA.1. While the plan was accepted in the U.K., U.S. regulators instead asked the companies to update the vaccines to target the newer subvariants.'

This is all very reassuring.

I fail to see how these boosters could produce a worse outcome that either doing nothing or sticking with the wild type boosters from last year. The worst case is that we are where we are right now.

You can’t reason with antivax because their choices have nothing to do with reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am so loving horny for this vaccine. Why does every article about it quote two immunologists who are down on it? Paul Offit is always horny for vaccines—I don’t know why he’s complaining about the need for human trials now. I understand mouse studies have limitations, but how could this booster be worse than doing nothing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m getting both so that I don’t forget the flu one or just put it off until it’s too late.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People stopped listening a year ago. It would have helped if the things being said were worth listening to, but it’s probably too late now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trip report: got a day-one booster and a flu shot. One in each arm—covid in the non-dominant arm. If I’m all hosed up tomorrow, I’ll say how.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s a good-natured joke about being irresponsible with other people’s lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Got flu and bivalent booster yesterday at about 5:00. I was feeling pretty good all day but am now extremely tired. Both arms sore but not more than the originals or first booster.