Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm an idiot, and my eyes tend to glaze over when I look at words of more than 3 syllables. Is this as important as it seems, or a blown up excuse to scream at Fauci s'more?

https://republicans-oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Year-5-EHAv.pdf

https://twitter.com/GOPoversight/status/1450934193177903105?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
They're free in my neck of the woods in Wisconsin. Looks like there's a 4 day wait list for binax or pcr test though. Last week it was 2 days. There's still pharmacies in nearby small towns I can get them tomorrow though. Drive through test, so fairly safe.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Fritz the Horse posted:

My employer just released their updated COVID policies which thankfully are stricter than almost anywhere similar in the US:

-All staff must have evidence of full vaccination (2 shots + booster) on file with HR by Jan 1, 2022 or be subject to termination. Only exemptions are for medical reasons as defined by CDC guidance and manufacturer labeling (no religious or personal exemptions). Those who are pregnant may defer until after they deliver. Exempted employees must test weekly.
-Staff with direct exposures must notify our COVID response coordinator and will be required to quarantine for a minimum of 8 days before returning to work, they must also test negative on the 5th, 6th, or 7th day.
-Employees who test positive must isolate for a minimum of 10 days and report to the State and Tribal task forces. They may return to work after 24 hours symptom-free and provide to HR the letter from State/Tribal authorities saying they completed their isolation.

I'm assuming they must be working off IHS guidance because it seems pretty different from CDC guidelines.

They're also of course requiring masking while inside and all rooms were issued a HEPA filter.

We're restricting operations for a few weeks to see what happens with Omicron.

Overall I'm pretty happy with those requirements, it's certainly more than most workplaces in the US.

Lol. my work place just issued a very forceful ruling that if you weren't at your desk you need to wear a mask, and that all surfaces must be cleaned. Also, they jumped right on board with the new CDC mandates.

... half of our department on sick leave from corona, we lost employee from from Delta less than a week after exhibiting symptoms, and another's had pneumonia for about a month now. The few people who do wear masks dick nose those flimsy blue things. All of the foreign exchange students who make this entire town function live in a dorm that's got covid sweeping from one side to the next.

Don't go to the Wisconsin Dells, people. It's nothing but covid up here. You wouldn't know it from the number of people who still insist on coming up here... as long as they don't need to wear a mask or be vaccinated.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I suspect it's this, the US has a hideously bad vaccination rate.

Don't forget our morbidly obese rate and 'hasn't seen the inside of a doctor's office until their lungs were full of the 'rona' rate.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Best public healthcare in the world if you can afford it. (Nobody's interested in making sure you can afford it.)

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

Wow, 3500 deaths today in the USA. loving insane, and right on schedule.

Where are you getting this number?
NYT says just under 2k. Which is not good, but it's not 3.5k.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 20, 2022

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Judge lifted the injunction against Ascencion because for some reason Theracare and Ascencion weren't willing to get together and discuss things like adults.

https://fox11online.com/news/local/thedacare-vs-ascension-returns-to-court-after-temporary-restraining-order-granted

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mischievous Mink posted:

Indeed, isn't Israel already administering 4th shots at the 4 month mark? I feel I remember reading this, figured it'll only be a matter of time before we adopt the same policy.

They're already doing it for the elderly/immunocompromised population at the 5 month mark.
A panel's already suggested expanding it to the entire adult population.
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/israel-mulls-offering-4th-covid-vaccine-dose-all-adults-2022-01-25/

Looks like it gives a temporary boost in protection but quickly falls to 2+booster levels and there's some comments as to whether we can just jam new boosters into people and not have the immune system completely tweak out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/repeat-booster-shots-risk-overloading-immune-system-ema-says

This doesn't seem like a viable path.

Of course the WHO is completely against the idea of pumping vaccines with limited returns into developed countries while undeveloped countries still languish from lack of vaccines.

Is there any new word on the Walter Reed's Pan-Corona vaccine?

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 12, 2022

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

droll posted:

Posting conspiracy theories in the d&d thread should get a probation.

Let's stay consistent, shall we?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

droll posted:

Why do you think Capitalism is a conspiracy? Why do you think Pfizer and Moderna aren't going to do everything they can to maximize profits? Why do you think think there's more incentive to cure instead of treat under capitalism?

I repeat myself, and you haven't offered anything useful to the original question. Thank you for your input.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for your input. It remains irrelevant to the original question.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 12, 2022

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I asked how the walter reed research was going. You gave me some sophomoric doomer-brained anti-capitalism rant about how the EEEVIIILLLLLL forces of capitalism was going to make sure we never got good things.

So. Since

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

would seem to suggest there's 12 vaccines approved for full use, 16 in early or limited use, and over 100 in active testing/research; it would seem Pfizer/Moderna/capitalism has somehow managed to not to strangle them all in their crib. I was curious as to whether anyone had any information on data on one of those myriad of Covid vaccine techniques that somehow managed to escape the evil clutches of capitalism or whatever you were going on about there.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dasar posted:

They've given the world a guide on how to beat it. have massive riots in the street by any population not content to have a thoroughly authoritarian govt seal them in their apartment block and starve them to death.

Fixed that for you.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So you're saying you paid zero attention to riots in the US and Canada that .weren't. BLM. That were committed by people who were merely inconvenienced by Covid 'restrictions', and not driven by the outrage that would come from completely losing their poo poo on a city/state/nationwide basis after being locked up in their house/apartments for weeks on end and the various indignities against human rights China imposes with impunity in their lockdown protocols.

You also seem to think that the police would have the manpower/ability/desire to enforce dictatorial edicts from above about how people should move around. Do you have any idea how many county sheriffs counties refused to enforce mask mandates calling them unconstitutional on the face of it? Then this would be enforced by the national guard or US Army or some other force. That would be amusing to see!

Gotcha.

Thank you for your input.

Please offer more after you've had a chance to review the activities linked to Gretchen Whitmer in 2020, (and the results of the trial afterwards) and the accidents on the Windsor Bridge in February of this year, and various other 'easily squashed protests' and base the effectiveness of squashing them in comparison to China's ability to squash 4/15/89 and how Shanghai was neatly shut down the moment they got angsty. Hell, compare that to how we 'shut down' BLM, for that matter if you're so inclined.

For further reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_anti-lockdown_protests_in_the_United_States#Midwest

These were the protests the US had when the US population still had the right to go out and protest and the streets weren't lined with security booths monitoring the few essential delivery personnel who still had the right to breath fresh air at the cost of being constantly engaged with over-bearing authority invading their bodily autonomy.

Yes we would riot. There would be blood in the streets the day the reports of police locking people into their apartments broke.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 22, 2022

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If Covid gets a firm footing in North Korea?

It's either going to be China style lockdowns with more people starving or dying of having to use coca-cola bottles as IV bags than usual in the normal day to day case of events and have what little remains of their economy come to a screaming halt, or it's going to be a 'let her rip, die in the spirit of Juchte' style body count in a country that has so far refused to accept any form of pharmaceutical treatment/prevention with a health system that started out broken in every way imaginable and probably doesn't even have the resources to store and distribute said remedies.

They'll have to get any sort of help with this from China.

They are probably going to deny the full spread of the damned thing until entire industries are /forced/ to shut down because all the 3 generation slave camps resemble something out of the Stand and the Elite have sealed themselves into something not too far removed from Masque of the Red Death.

It's going to be gross.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 23, 2022

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Some goddamned frightful reading here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_on_cruise_ships#Ships_with_confirmed_cases_on_board

First US docked ship with confirmed Corona was in Oakland, fwiw. The first cruise ship to try and dock in FL was in early April. By that time we were already deep in it.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 2, 2022

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My co-worker spent 3 months bleeding uncontrollably from the navel and the vagina due to covid loving with the bloodthinners that were meant to fight off covid forming clots in her lungs, temporary bouts of amnesia, vertigo and damned near died of pneumonia twice and still has brain fog from getting covid in the beginning of the Delta surge. She JUST got healthy enough to return to work about a week ago.

She hasn't worn a mask a day in her life at the office.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ya know those midwestern middle aged ladies with Really Loud Voices who can't help but bitch about every little ailment that comes their way to the open air in case someone who just might be interested hears about it?

Not so much a 'conversation' as 'unescapable monologue'

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

jetz0r posted:

So she's also a super spreader.

Surprisingly, for being a hotel in the middle of a major tourist town where a good 50-75 percent of the work force are J1 students who all live 4 to a room, if not more depending on the hotel they're hooked up at, and work throughout the entire town, and me being the only person the office who wore a mask. We've.. only had one outbreak of corona in our office. Killed the origin in less than a week, knocked that lady out, did a number on a frail 70 year old woman who bounced back fairly quickly and .. sniffles and loss of taste for 4 or 5 other people that all resolved themselves within a few days to a month.

Oh, and one 24 year old former marine who got out on medical after breaking his hip in martial art practice who ended up on a heart monitor for a bit.

We've been damningly lucky.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Been hearing stories that we've no idea of the efficacy of this booster. Significant chunk of the country thinks it's poison; shoving it into people's arms when we don't even know it works or not seems bad PR.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/08/22/1118788439/vaccine-maker-asks-fda-to-greenlight-updated-omicron-booster-shot

'Pfizer and BioNTech said they have submitted pre-clinical data on vaccine efficacy to the FDA, but did not share the data publicly.'

'Pfizer and BioNTech also report that they expect to start a human study on the safety and immunogenicity of the BA4/BA5 bivalent vaccine this month.'

'Earlier this year, vaccine makers presented U.S. and European regulatory authorities with an option for a bivalent vaccine that targeted an earlier version of the omicron variant, BA.1. While the plan was accepted in the U.K., U.S. regulators instead asked the companies to update the vaccines to target the newer subvariants.'

This is all very reassuring.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 24, 2022

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We have a sizeable population who thinks the original vaccine was 'hasty' by a matter of decades, if not outright an insidious cancer that leaves 5g trackers in your blood stream. Pushing new vaccine out without human trials is new ammo for them.

Not that they'd likely to accept this jab anyways.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

slurm posted:

We still have a sign up at work saying not to eat diseased animal carcasses

Did... I miss where this was a thing?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
NAAT covid tests are still free and readily available at Walgreens. You'll have proper results in a couple hours.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've so far managed to avoid it.

I work/live in a major tourist town with a huge foreign student population that works 3 jobs at once and comingle in huge dorm style apartments. Our office had one confirmed outbreak sometime between OG and Delta which killed one employee in less than a week, broke the poo poo out of a rather large woman in the office who .. not sure if it's long covid, or reactions to her new anti-coagulants, but she's been out of office more often than she's been in ever since, temporarily put a 30 year old marine on a heart stint, and gave 3 other people in the office a nasty cough.

I was the last holdout on this town for masks and I finally gave up when I realized I could either take my mask off to eat in the common break room, or I could go outside and eat in -10 degree F weather during some brutal cold snaps in last year.

If I was going to eat without a mask in the same air that I as working, there was no reason to continue wearing the mask.

Tossed it out. joined the mob. Been ok so far taking zero precautions aside from three shots of OG vaccine and the omni booster

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 21, 2023

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Goddamit. Remember all those stories of people intentionally coughing into food products to own the libs?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Why does the DoE have a voice in this anyways?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
No amount of 'cdc says so and so' was going to keep me from having to field 'so how're you going to keep us safe?' questions from people who /had/ to spend hundreds of dollars a night to go to an indoor water park in fall of 2020. They had their child's birthday to celebrate! No they weren't going to wear a silly mask (not that they could in the water park.) No they weren't going to demonstrate .personal responsibility. by telling their spawn 'hahaha. no.' Life as normal! and they wanted to know how often we were going to wipe down the check out desk while they spent 10 minutes talking face to face with someone who's breathing in the personal space of hundreds of people a day.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

A lot of executives overseeing customer service businesses feel that the customer does care whether they can see the employee's corporate-mandated smiling face, even if the customer thinks they don't care. A lot of effort goes into carefully curating the general appearance of chain restaurants - including the appearance of staff - to provide an atmosphere and impression they believe will appeal to customers. Masking can also impact clarity of communication, which is important both behind the counter and across the counter.

LOL. I worked at the Kalahari Resorts. A singular guest complained that they thought a front desk agent was mouthing off to them behind the mask the first week we opened after our 3 month closure in 2020. Masks where forever banned at the front desk from that point forward. If you insisted on wearing a mask, they provided some flimsy transparent plastic contraption that did absolutely nothing to prevent air transfer - no fit to the face at all and it had ventilation holes.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Universal, nasal, and other Covid vaccines aren't being made under the 'throw most of the regulatory paperwork out the window' mad dash of Operation Warp Speed the first vaccines were made under.

So they need to find unvaccinated people who've never had Covid before AND willing to be a guinea pig, then test them for a while to see fi they're not going to keel over from the vaccine first (mRNA tests had the advantage of that being done years ago for other respiratory diseases that settled themselves without serious intervention.) THEN they get to test to see if they actually work. And go through the entire slog of creating a brand new medication. You can form your own conclusions on the demographics of 'never vaccinated, never covided, willing to be guinea pig for medical science' which will slow things down on its own.

Walter Reed Institute has had a promising vaccine that they were working on back in early 2021? that they were supposed to announce results on later that year that they've gone completely media silent on.

Those tests aren't going to be done for years. I doubt any of them have finished, or meaningfully progressed through, phase 1 'will this cause harm to the humans we put it in' testing.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to American healthcare and buying things out of network.

Hear ketchup goes well with those poo poo sandwiches D: