Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

nexous posted:

I don’t know why you child havers are so set on vaccinations. Wait for the empirical evidence that the CDC and FDA can interpret for you, to tell you what you should do. Please do not booster bandit vaccinations at this time. You may end up giving your child autism

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NoDamage posted:

Updated CDC and UKHSA data shows 3-dose vaccine efficacy against hospitalization starting to fall at the 4 month mark.

Not terribly surprising given the same trend occurred with the previous dose, but it does raise a serious question of what we are going to do in a few months when the booster wears off and the whole world has decided to open back up...

Another round of booster shots, presumably. I've been assuming that would be the situation for a while now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Epic High Five posted:

Australia and NZ did a fantastic job for a long time and are mega capitalist. States that are considered "authoritarian" to varying degrees such as Russia and India also bungled it horribly. It's not like just lying about spread and suppressing death numbers is an impulse restricted by the structure of a national constitution

They're both island nations with no land borders and substantial bodies of water separating them from the rest of the world, and AUSNZ international airports are also fairly isolated from regular through traffic (meaning you don't generally change planes in Australia or NZ en route to other countries). All those factors made it much, much easier to shut off/tighten controls on entry than it was for almost everyone else, authoritarian or not.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there's more factors at work here.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 19, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1500946917102129155

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

James Garfield posted:

The US isn't the whole world, vaccination rates in developing countries matter far more here than whether the US government closes restaurants or whatever. China is more people and has mostly kept covid under control, with little apparent effect on the pandemic outside of China.

No, only America has agency in the world. Only America does things that matter.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Get a booster.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Pfizer shots have universally knocked me out for a day or so and left me with a sore arm. I'm perfectly OK with that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's totally possible to think lockdowns are justified but that the current one in Shanghai is terrible on pretty much every level.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slow News Day posted:

I'm flying to London this Friday for some suck-and-fucks, and it sure will be nice to not have to worry about masks.

Don't forget to tip your... partners.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

No idea what that post means but Chinese food is good and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

The fact that no Chinese restaurants in my city no matter how authentic seem to have Peking duck on their menus any more has been one of the most irritating results of the pandemic for me personally.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Scheduled my jab for Tuesday at the local Walgreen's. Feelin' good about that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Got my omicron booster today. Arm sore but not feeling nearly as tired as the last three shots made me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PageMaster posted:

How was everyone's new COVID booster for the new variants? I need to get mine and the flu one, but also still need to take care of the kid at home and getting to and from school, so I'm wondering if I want to purposefully plan it around a Thursday or Friday so I can have the weekend if it lays me out.

Made me woozy for about 16 hours but otherwise it was smooth sailing compared to prior doses.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I'm a scientist and I love getting emails on my research from randos.

Yeah, this is how it works in academia a lot of the time. I'm a historian and I was chuffed as hell when a colleague actually read the gift copy of my book I gave him at a convention.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Telling everyone to get vaccinated is a much more reasoned approach.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mercury_Storm posted:

Any developments on booster shots now that covid is ""over""? Like new mutivarient ones, and can you still get them every six months and have it covered?

That's a very good question and the answer appears to be uhh, we're not sure, this is completely new territory for medical science and regulation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cornwind Evil posted:

All right. I'm looking for a counter to the "In the past, if there were half a dozen deaths from a trial of a vaccine/drug/etc it was pulled, but they didn't pull the COVID ones even though there were (insert large number here), ergo they are somehow wrong." Cut away all the poo poo and they might still have a few hundred deaths or so.

Is the sole answer to this 'This was a vaccine to a pandemic that was actually killing thousands of people when it was fully finished up and rolled out, and hence higher numbers in the 0.01 percent range were acceptable risks as compared to stuff like the swine flu pandemic which killed a grand total of one person', or are there further arguments I could make beyond that that I'm not thinking of?

I don't know if this helps but because of how every potential adverse symptom of a vaccine has to be reported during a trial, a noted side effect of one of the COVID vaccines was "getting hit by a car".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

One of the participants in Moderna’s phase‐three trial in 2020 was struck by lightning.

That was it, yeah. I guess my memory edited itself.