Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

This seems relevant to this thread:

Some Houston hospitals suspend COVID antibody treatments due to ineffectiveness against omicron

Hospital quotes here:

Of course this is not a peer reviewed article, this isn't a preprint, these are area hospitals suspending treatment due to lack of effectiveness.

There are already several preprint articles describing the loss of monoclonal antibody efficacy, so this was to be expected.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.12.472269v2
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.14.21267772v1
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.14.472630v1
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.07.470392v1

This is bad news for the unvaccinated and immunocompromised.

e: Does anyone know how far along Paxlovid is? Can it be produced more quickly than mAbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

hypothetical:

paxlovid will be approved. this is certain. however, the fda won't officially approve it until later this week. we're, more or less, waiting for their signature that is sure to come.

given this, could pfizer legally start producing it before the official approval is signed later this week? that'd give them some stock to send out, which might help a bit.

They don't need approval to produce it, iirc. They're already doing so I think.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here in The Netherlands the wellness crystal mommy blogger crowd swung a hard right in the last elections and voted for the openly-but-denying-but-absolutely-fascist party, because they are covid denialists and want to openerup. A few of the lifestyle coach/ yoga instructor people who voted for FvD were interviewed and they all said some variant of "Oh yeah I don't follow politics but I voted FvD because they are for freedom! Love peace and understanding, namaste!"

Very cool all these self-absorbed Yoga fascists with their fake veneer of love and caring yet the only people they care for are themselves.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So a nutritionist, cardiologist and oncologist walk into a bar,

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We all have our coping mechanisms.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

buglord posted:

Is This Week In Virology still good for Covid news? I was an avid John Campbell listener up until he did a viewer survey once and the vast majority of respondents seemed to be conservative minded people. Comments on his recent videos seem to be from a very different set of people than last year so something might have changed.

Looking for something I can mostly listen to/watch. Have 0 interest in Twitter people.

Is "Dr." (RN) Campbell still beating the Ivermectin drum? I watched him for a little bit but basically stopped last year when he suggested that cases going down in Czechia was related to them allowing Ivermectin.

As for TWiV, they are real proper scientists and they go very deep into the science and I've learned a lot over the past few years from them. It's a major time investment though. The "other" thread don't like them because they're not doomer enough so there's that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

In non-thread news (that may have already been posted somewhere back, it's a couple days old), India gave approval to a pair of protein subunit vaccines, Covovax (Indian-produced Novovax) and Corbevax (new, no IP restrictions). Corbevax also did direct comparison to Oxford-AZ during their trial and had better efficacy. They're cheap, stable for a long time at easy temperatures, producible on traditional equipment (vs mRNA fanciness), and don't have the immunity-to-carrier-virus problems repeated dosing of carrier virus ones do (the other kind producible on common equipment). Good news for poor countries or places without good cold chains.

Corbevax is Peter Hotez' vaccine, it's great to finally see it make it to market despite his struggles getting it funded. Looking forward to seeing the trial results.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PT6A posted:

I'm honestly curious about this: is there any proposed mechanism where a throat swab could accidentally create a false positive and/or be significantly more likely to cause a false positive? On one hand I don't think "design your own medical procedure" is a great idea for non-experts, but on the other hand, I'm not aware of any reason why doing throat swabs would be a problem in this case.

Absolutely, for example if people drink some acidic drinks just before it's real easy to cause a false positive.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

Now now, you could also be a student teacher eager to confront the challenge of teaching a grossly oversized class of children stressed by the collapse of the social order around them!

Kids don't spread covid and 20 year olds just get a cold from it so I dont see the problem?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It was sarcasm

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wang Commander posted:

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1481683717785624577?t=sobFZZVnEb-u4udBJFjLYw&s=19

How does this not end up as being like AIDS if it does the exact same thing? I'm kind of confused why more people aren't freaking out over this.

As discussed that's not what the paper says, just what the "T-cell guy" tweets. But another reason this isn't airborne AIDS is because SARS-CoV-2 isn't a retrovirus like HIV is, meaning that it doesn't integrate into your DNA. Once you clear the infection it's gone. With HIV once you're infected you basically cannot get rid of it and you have to treat it with antiviral drugs for the rest of your life.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There are already several animal reservoirs with spillovers and spillbacks happening back and forth. How do you propose to eliminate covid there?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Blech, BA2 is dominant in Denmark and there's no marked difference between the other subvariants.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We need to make the thread more hygge then they'll show up

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hygge is a state of mind, maaan.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lets also not forget the emotional toll triaging takes on the medical professionals. Another reason you should want to avoid the situation entirely and one that is not often talked about.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ms Chubby is what the kids would say, thicc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

My grandmother has a history of Epstein-Barr Guillain-Barre and can't get the covid vaccine because of it.

E: sorry misremembered the name of the contraindication

Good news: a history of GBS (heh) is NOT a contraindication (anymore) for receiving a covid vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html#Appendix-B

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cru Jones posted:

Novavax is not "grandma's" vaccine, to my understanding it's also a new vaccine tech almost even cooler than MRNA if I have it right.

MRNA hijacks your cells to produce proteins that look like covid that your body builds antibodies against.

Novavax basically uses proteins directly. So there's no inactivated or attenuated virus, no viral vector, no MRNA, just a wanted poster telling your immune system to look out for this guy..

I suppose what's the "cooler" tech is subjective but protein subunit vaccines have been around for a while.

The disadvantage of protein subunit vaccines from a clinical standpoint is that they require an adjuvant to be injected along with the protein. You need something to "piss off" the immune system and get the immune system looking for it. Instead of the wanted poster it's a wanted poster but also you set the barn on fire and tell the immune system it was the protein that did it.

With Novavax and many other vaccines using the same tech these adjuvants are saponins which are very difficult to synthesize and are made from the bark of a tree called the soap tree, and is a finite resource. This is a bottleneck in manufacturing.

The mRNA vaccines are cooler tech in my opinion, because for one they don't need adjuvants, foreign RNA entering cells and them going buck wild producing proteins is something the immune system is already VERY wary of. Secondly they skip a bunch of steps in manufacturing by having our own bodies produce the antigen, instead of needing to brew up in yeast cells or in the case of novavax insect cells.
Whenever you do this you need to purify the protein to make drat sure no foreign proteins that are a byproduct of your manufacturing process are included, since these can cause a myriad of issues like allergic reactions and the immune system to create antibodies against them which then may attack important proteins and cells in our bodies. (Auto-immune response).

So mRNA itself is way quicker to manufacture, you need way less of it, doesn't need as much purification , and no adjuvants are needed.

The bottleneck with mRNA again unfortunately seems to be the manufacture and assembly of the lipid nanoparticles.

Each vaccine tech have their pros and cons, I haven't even talked about the vector vaccines, let alone the inactivated ones.

Overall, having more vaccines is a good thing and this is a good vaccine. We still need to vaccinate a large part of the world and this will help.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

slorb posted:

Nate's a brain broken idiot at this point, nobody is ever going to be able to publish stats that convince him that it isn't time to party like you're at a senior frogs in Cancun.

If you want a look at how peer review is frequently bullshit, a squabble between dipshit libertarian economists ended up with some behind the scenes emails being published that show just how reviews are negotiated in top economics journals.

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2022/01/25/how-do-things-work-at-top-econ-journals-exactly-this-is-one-weird-rear end-story/

Peer review may be bullshit sometimes, but economics is bullshit all the time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

People are full of viruses all the time p much with all kinds of persistent and latent infections, having your immune system assaulted by covid can give some of those a chance to flare up. Shingles is a great example of that. It's a flareup of a latent and lifelong infection of a herpes virus called VZV after we've had chickenpox as kids.

BTW there's a vaccine against shingles now called shingrix. They give it to older people (50 or 60+ I think?) because that's when people normally start getting shingles due to the immune system weakening a bit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ok I'm no expert but here's how I think this all works:

If a variant has a fitness advantage over another one then it tends to outcompete the other ones. That fitness advantage can be anything that makes it more fit in a population. For example it looks like Omicron has an ability to evade immunity somewhat, meaning that in a population with high seroprevalence (either due to vaccination or infection) it can infect more people than say Delta, and it'll take over.

In naive populations (no vaccines or infections) omicron might not have enough advantage over Delta and it wouldn't gain as much ground.

This could also explain to some degree why omicron is "mild". If you already have immunity you can more easily get infected by omicron, but because of your immunitythe disease won't nearly be as bad. Omicron is mild in most people, if they have previous immunity.

Another fitness advantage could be that virus particles stay viable for longer, more particles produced, better evasion of the innate immune system, making people less sick so they don't quarantine, etc. It doesn't have to be all spike binding all the time. But most science being done now is based on spike changes and antibody neutralization assays, because those are relatively quick to do.

I'm not sure the jury is out on why Delta took over but it seems to be that the infection kinetics are such that it just reproduces a whole lot more than previous variants, making viral loads peak earlier and higher than with previous variants and as such makes it spread more. (But afaik this has only been described by PCR Ct values, not PFU assays)

It's likely that Omicron has been cooking up for a while now and only now had the potential to become dominant over Delta since so many people have been vaccinated or previously infected already.

That being said, there's no real reason why multiple variants couldn't circulate at the same time, and in fact they do.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CSM posted:

One is more contagious than the other and you can 't get two COVID 19 infections at once,

It seems rare, but you absolutely can.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have to buy tests myself but I pay like €12,50 for a 5-pack so it's not too bad.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Had to look up lorteby but lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Riptor posted:

i don't doubt that covid rates either are going up currently, or are bound to, but take a look through the responses. There's some real weirdness to the data behind that diagram:

https://twitter.com/mikescar99/status/1503577610290229252?s=20&t=7mdgJVpAaLW74I9dl7_u5Q

2147483647 is the max value of a 32 bit signed integer. So those values are bunk.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

eXXon posted:

Is Eric Topol reporting on a bunch of divide by zeros?

Something like that. It's obviously an error. It's impossible to know what exactly caused the error, but the data are completely useless regardless.

And on Topol himself, his is of course one of the more prolific Twitter accounts tweeting about COVID, but his field is not virology or epidemiology or immunology. I believe he's a cardiologist? He seems to be sensationalizing covid news and research that he's not entirely qualified to do, leading to misinterpretation and misrepresentation of research and data. (Making even really basic stat mistakes like the recent examples.)
He's not quite as bad as Feigl-Ding however still a good example on why scientists should keep their lane and defer to experts just like anyone else if it's a subject outside of their field.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I suppose it's unfair to compare him to Feigl-Ding, although I did say he's not as bad. :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

Sinovac and Sinopharm are inactivated (killed) virus vaccines, not vectored. AZ and Pfizer are vectored vaccines which is a fairly new technology.

AZ is vector, Pfizer/BioNtech is mRNA like Moderna

Other vector vaccines are Janssen/J&J and Sputnik V

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

Thanks I meant J&J as vectored, wasn't paying close enough attention

Sputnik V is apparently sometimes just live virus :v:

there are also some protein subunit vaccines rolling out I believe but not anytime soon in the US

Yeah Novavax is available in the EU now, the hope was that some of the sceptics would take it but it came so late it's not doing any kind of numbers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AutismVaccine posted:

Has anyone in this thread experience with getting covid while on chemotherapy? Are there any good sources for that topic? Just finding a lot of trash when searching.

They might be eligible for paxlovid or monoclonal antibodies, but it is imperative that those are given in the first 5 days. consult a physician.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AutismVaccine posted:

Dont have covid atm, but with my luck who really knows.
Thats a good tip with the antibodies, will ask about that at the hospital if it is an option in the worst case scenario.

If you have cancer and being treated I do believe you're in the risk group and eligible for monoclonals or paxlovid. Paxlovid has drug interactions that may exclude you from it, something about the liver, but I don't know all of those details.

Because both are antiviral drugs they have to be given as early as possible in the viral replication phase of the disease (first week), not in the inflammatory phase (second week). So within 5 days of symptom onset but really right away after getting a positive test result. Might indeed be a good idea to discuss that beforehand with your doctor so that you don't waste time chasing it down then.

So not the worst case scenario really, because those drugs are to avoid the worst case scenario!And it's important to realize that if you wait until the disease is "bad enough" it will be too late for them to do anything!

By the way: Dr. Daniel Griffin, who is an infectious disease physician-scientist and one of the hosts of the TWiV COVID-19 podcast, is very much up to date on the latest treatments and guidelines and he does take email questions from people struggling with challenges similar to yours. Worth a shot maybe. daniel %at% microbe.tv

All the best and hopefully you'll never need the advice!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Asking in good faith:
I understand that long covid isn't related to the severity of initial symptoms, but rather to underlying preconditions like Epstein-Barr virus.

Is this understanding incorrect? My buddy had a mild case of COVID and lost taste/smell, another lost their ability to use software they had used for years. Is long COVID less a concern than the stats would lead us to believe (1 in 10)?

My personal take on this is that there is not one long covid, but several distinct ones. There's people who have their lung capacity completely wiped out, there's cardiovascular issues, neurological, auto-immune, preexisting health issues getting exacerbated, etc... So it's not very useful to say something like that, because in some cases underlying conditions are at play, and in others they're not.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes by no means is my list exhaustive, I should have mentioned that, thank you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DancingMachine posted:

Well that is super interesting, thanks for the link! This part was definitely not a biological phenomena I had ever heard of before:

Something else worth learning about is somatic hypermutation. Basically the immune system has a built-in variant-busting mechanism. What it means is that B-cells specific to one antigen go into this process where their genes are cut up and reshuffled in random ways, creating a near-endless diversity of antibodies for any current or even future variants of a pathogen. This process takes time (months), and is also dependent on repeated exposure iirc (be it virus or vax), but it means that variant-specific vaccines might not be that much better at eliciting an antibody response for the variant than wild type would.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HazCat posted:

Also did you do nose swabs or nose+throat swabs?

I don't think there's any good evidence supporting the throat swab thing. It's based on anecdotes and (professional) opinion. Have there been any proper studies done already?

The reason I'm suspicious is that the lateral flow test are sensitive to PH, so if you for example swab your throat too quickly after drinking say a coke, you are likely to get a false positive. Doesn't have to be anything particularly acidic either.

This might explain some of these anecdotes about people testing negative in their nose but positive in the throat.

Has there been any science done on this subject since this came up a couple months ago?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think most people don't even give it any thought.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The thread will only grant you permission to go to the suck&gently caress if you get a booster, sorry.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Got my booster finally

For those of you that got it, how was your reaction compared to the vaccines?

Bout the same. Sore arm mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's a whole bunch of awful videos being tweeted over the past few days, supposedly from Shanghai and other places in China. I say supposedly because they're for the most part being posted by anti-NPI shitheads that have been spreading misinformation and lies over the past 2 years, so not exactly trustworthy sources

The videos themselves look real enough though