Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rosalind posted:

I'm not a virologist or immunologist but I am skeptical about the possibility of some sort of long term surprise covid 2: covid with a vengeance years down the line.

It's being compared to ME/CFS, which is to say, it's not the viral loading sitting in your system doing damage, it's a cascade of post-viral effects. This is a good summary of the topic from a health professional who also has contracted serious long COVID, although if there's a more recent one I'd be interested to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oBbbx46igk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Meanwhile, my reactions to the boosters are getting noticeably worse each time, to the point where I’m having to seriously weigh the consequences before I’ll commit to another one. I’ve yet to get COVID, respirator life is real until nasal vaccines come along (and hopefully prove efficacious), but the boosters now lay me out for most of a week, and the last two exhibited some rather alarming symptoms that seem in line with myocarditis. Starting to think I’ve had my last booster until one comes along that is a slam dunk sterilizing-immunity situation.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If you're going to go to a convention during a pandemic, here's your evaluation method for masking:

1) To what extent do you care about making a positive impression on the people around you, versus your own safety? In this case, when two means of protection are equally good at blocking the virus (i.e., comparing high-quality N95s), comfort = safety because you will be less likely to disturb the seal on the mask. If you prioritize your safety over positive impressions, then get the mask that is the most protective and comfortable, which will mean one with a vent. If positive impressions are more important, do not get a vent, because people will remember that "vents are bad" and judge you for it, despite their attending a convention during a pandemic.

2) Are you going to take off your mask to eat and drink indoors at a crowded convention location, or go to a bar or room party/hang-out after-hours? Then none of this discussion matters, because that's where you're going to get infected, so wear whatever makes you feel good.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Near-complete abdication of responsibility, in short. We're firmly in "hope that the nasal / pan-coronavirus vaccine development goes well" territory.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Discendo Vox posted:

Did either of you read the linked article? It doesn't remotely match the nonsensical doomsaying. The FDA advisory panel met in January and voted to move forward with an FDA proposal for harmonized annual COVID boosters.

If annual boosters were enough to solve the problem, we’d be out of this by now. It evidently isn’t enough, not least because uptake of the boosters is low.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Do we have any decent data on Novavax and myocarditis?

I’ve yet to get COVID, respirator life is real until better vaccines come along, but the boosters now lay me out for most of a week, and the last two boosts exhibited some rather alarming symptoms that seem in line with myocarditis. Unfortunately I need to get a cavity addressed and there's no way I'm getting dentistry done without being freshly boosted, especially since that appointment will assuredly land right at the height of this wave, so I'm weighing my options on what to get this time 'round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mischievous Mink posted:

I had 5 hits of Pfizer and the most I ever got out of it was a sore shoulder. I just take whatever one they give me, and that's how it worked out. I need to get my new booster still, are they all mrna based, or is that new moth vaccine out now too?

Novavax is shipping to distributors now, available later this week. However, the same are where I read that (phone posting or I’d link it, it was Reuters) claims the company has adopted “cost cutting measures” and will probably go broke if this doesn’t get strong sales. Call me crazy, but I’m not thrilled at the idea of a vaccine from a company that is “adopting cost cutting measures.” I wish we knew what any of that meant.