Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m embedding the tweet because the analogy is good, but the main thing here is to click through and be horrified at the state of UK guidance.

https://twitter.com/ProfEmer/status/1437309203828334596

quote:

2. When to wear PPE in an education, childcare or children’s social care setting

Most staff in education, childcare and children’s social care settings will not require PPE in response to COVID-19 beyond what they would normally need for their work.

If a child, young person, or student already has routine intimate care needs that involve the use of PPE, the same PPE should continue to be used.

Additional PPE for COVID-19 is only required in a very limited number of scenarios:

• if an individual child, young person or student becomes ill with COVID-19 symptoms and only then if close contact is necessary
  • when performing aerosol generating procedures (AGPs)

quote:

3. What PPE to wear when caring for a symptomatic individual
Depending on how close you need be to an individual with COVID-19 symptoms you may need the following PPE:

• fluid-resistant surgical face masks (also known as Type IIR)
  • disposable gloves
  • disposable plastic aprons
  • eye protection (for example, a face visor or goggles)

Type IIR is basically a three‐ply surgical mask. No tight fit, no particulate rating. And even this is only supposed to be worn when dealing with a symptomatic person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SubG posted:

This is literally discussed in the OP.

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but the general problem is:
  • N95s/KN95s are good at source control
  • Surgical masks are not good at source control
  • There's a single paper that suggests that an unfiltered exhalation valve on an FFR is about as good for source control as a surgical mask
  • The paper explicitly does not include EHMRs in their conclusions
So there's no data suggesting unfiltered exhalation on EHMRs is equivalent to FFRs. But even if there was, then you still wouldn't want to rely on it for source control. Despite this, people keep extolling the virtues of EHMRs, and offer that NIOSH paper as a defence of using one despite it having an unfiltered exhalation valve (unless you're using a 3M 6000 series with a 604 filter, or one of the small number of similar setups).

So it's not that NIOSH is spreading misinformation, it's just that information from NIOSH is frequently (I think it's safe to say consistently) in a misleading way.

As long as we’re playing devil’s advocate, I would like it to be known that the 604 is rated for bacteria. No representation is made as to its competence in filtering viruses.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1971617O/en-us-70-2011-8190-9-lr.pdf

The existence and approval of the 604 filter allows healthcare workers to wear 6100/6200/6300 respirators in environments where surgical masks are acceptable (or would have been before the present pandemic), like operating rooms.

I don’t have any personal doubt that it would easily surpass unfitted surgical masks at stopping virus‐containing respiratory viruses, but, well, we don’t have any actual data saying it does.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BMJ feature is Just Asking Questions about U.S. vaccine policy. Maybe the CHUDs who say “I don’t need your vaccine. I’ve already had the virus” have a point. (ed. note: :hmmno:)

quote:

“If natural immunity is strongly protective, as the evidence to date suggests it is, then vaccinating people who have had covid-19 would seem to offer nothing or very little to benefit, logically leaving only harms—both the harms we already know about as well as those still unknown,” says Christine Stabell Benn, vaccinologist and professor in global health at the University of Southern Denmark.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mercury_Storm posted:

*Oh yeah and then there's CDC guidance that the appropriate distancing for kids was 3 feet instead of 6 feet, thus allowing kids to be jam packed into current classroom sizes and still be within the guidelines, that they put in during the Trump era and never updated, which I'm just assuming is malfeasance at this point.

Nah that happened two months into Biden’s presidency.

Fritz the Horse posted:

This is absolutely true. A ton of people get a bad cold or "stomach flu" and think they have influenza. Hell no, actual no-poo poo flu will knock you hard on your rear end for a week or more it's awful.

Sometimes it does that, but one in three influenza infections is asymptomatic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The run on ivermectin was “based on science to some degree”.

That is to say that they both involved weak science that at most warranted “hmm that’s interesting. Get back to me with studies that don’t have these serious flaws”, not “let’s rewrite policy right now based on this preprint”.

https://twitter.com/DiseaseEcology/status/1371346026355851266

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s video of the minister’s statement and it’s great.

https://twitter.com/KevzPolitics/status/1438183898358366208

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you want to avoid a technical lie, say “I have been put on the immunosuppressive drug <whatever> for <issue>. Therefore my doctor recommended I receive a third dose of the coronavirus vaccine.”

The pharmacist gets the narrative they want and isn’t going to grill you on whether that drug is in your system at that very moment.

I’m not an immunologist, but my understanding is that for it’s better to get the shot while not actively immunosuppressed. People in this very topic have had doctors take them off certain drugs for a week or two to give the immune system a chance to train up before medication tamps it down again. The point is, talk to your doctor about it, don’t be content to wait till you feel like you check the boxes just right.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 16, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Relying on source control is awful as a matter of public health policy, particularly as the virus is increasingly prevalent in public spaces and new variants have greater R0.

If there is an event with a hundred people and eighty of them are wearing effective gear effective at personal protection, great, at most twenty people will become infected.

If insteadd eighty of them are wearing gear effective at source control, well you better hope that every infectious individual is happens to be in the eighty percent, because if you miss one, they could infect nearly everyone present.

Public health authorities pushed the concept of source control hard because non‐rated cloth and disposable masks are even more awful at personal protection than they are at source control, but they really ought to have had a plan to transition to real PPE at some point in the last year and a half.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/studioincendo/status/1226540536984506369

She has it figured out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Meeting Americans where they are:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fritz the Horse posted:

Also, note that it's the pharma companies that are pushing booster shots the hardest, experts are mixed on whether it's all that beneficial right now. From the very article you link:

Same thing with the Pfizer vaccine, it's Pfizer itself that is pushing strongest for third shots for the general population.

Don’t make appeals based on the perceived sinister motivations of the parties. Leave that to the antivaxxers.

Whether or not the booster are “necessary” is a value judgement. Given the high impact of the virus, the modest cost of the boosters, and the safety they have demonstrated thus far, it is difficult to imagine Pfizer and Moderna being wrong about this one. The arithmetic is just ridiculously stacked. People spend more on antacids.

If you want to argue that those doses are better given to the third world, I won’t disagree, but I don’t think that’s a credible alternative in America today.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why are we endorsing N95 respirators in this topic?

Would that equipment not save many more lives in the the third world, where not even medical workers are provided such equipment?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rich people don’t need the FDA or CDC to do anything to get their boosters. They don’t even have to lie about it.

Comirnaty is a fully approved pharmaceutical. The doctors that rich people have are more than willing to give them a prescription, and no board in the land would find such a thing professionally suspect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Professor Beetus posted:

N95 masks are in plentiful supply on hardware store shelves in the US and those aren't going to end up all over the world because home Depot decides to ship them all to Africa or South America. A properly fitted N95 offers excellent protection and also protects others, unlike standard elastomeric options which will not protect others. N95s are currently listed in CDC recommendations. Please let me know if any of that is wrong.

No, that’s all right.

I have advocated for the general domestic use of real, rated PPE, including N95s, since long before the CDC’s quiet update of last week.

I find it analogous to vaccines. Getting a booster at Rite‐Aid is no ethically worse than buying a box of N95s at Home Depot, so long as one million doses are going in the trash every week. In a better world, there would be the option to move them on to where they’re needed more before expiry, but that’s just not happening because of societal failure.

And really, since N95s are far more transferrable overseas, it should be ethically worse. They can sit at room temperature for five years. If we wanted to, we could have N95 drives the way some communities have canned food drives. We just don’t care to because the pandemic is over, and also FYGM.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Suck Moredickis posted:

...no. No it cannot. The definition of "mild" or "moderate" covid is that it doesn't require hospitalization.

Yeah you can be on oxygen with a ❝ 𝓂𝒾𝓁𝒹 ❞ case, but I don’t see outpatient ventilation happening.

e: This is how it was really loving obvious that Downing Street was lying when Johnson went to hospital “for oxygen”. Oxygen can be administered at home. The only reasons a person of such means goes to the hospital is for something that can’t be brought to them, potentially an NMRI but the top suspect was rightly the ventilator.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 17, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CDC is like someone who has been forced to concede a point, but they really want to save face so they insist that actually you were both partially right in some horrible pedantic way.

THUS OF OULD

THUS NOW

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vasukhani posted:

so intentionally misleading. Just a big red X over an N95. What is wrong with them. Will better PPE scare people from going out to eat?

Yeah they have basically a perfect depiction of a 3M model 8210. You can buy them at the hardware store right now for eighty‐five cents apiece. They are not approved for surgical settings.

The closest “surgical” equivalent (i.e. with an FDA rating for splash resistance) is the model 1860, and it’s distinctly cyan with white straps.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 17, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HelloSailorSign posted:

- While I've nervously bitten my nails over things like BLM protests, sports games, Provincetown Gay Orgy Festival, and Lollapalloza (sp), largely we've found that these things have gone over well (i.e. did not have large outbreaks associated with them) as long as people don't spend time indoors and were decently vaccinated. Things like Sturgis where people probably spent time in bars coughing on each other because lmao COVID while also being largely unvaccinated did result in increased cases.

Sturgis led to fewer documented cases than Lollapalooza.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fritz the Horse posted:

Err in what way? And what's the source for this? Serious question. This sounds like something Kristi Noem is spouting.

I'm a South Dakota resident. The major healthcare provider in Rapid City (Monument Health) just announced this week they were doing emergency conversions of regular hospital beds to ICU because they are overflowing with COVID cases. This is literally the worst the pandemic has ever been in the Black Hills region.

Notably, this is not the case east-river in Sioux Falls. (for those unfamiliar, Rapid City is the population and healthcare center in the Black Hills and western half of SD, Sioux Falls is the population and healthcare center in the eastern half)

edit: I feel like "documented" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here

That’s the point.

The numbers are totally biased through malice and ineptitude, and anyone who believes that Lollapalooza’s figures are any more credible is suffering from Gell-Mann Amnesia.

https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/1432115904532320257

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the committee is not persuaded there is worthwhile effect on persons under sixty years of age, how do they justify recommending a third shot for healthcare workers?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Potential vaccine injuries on the order of one in a million will be ammunition to antivaccine elements. Therefore, we will just have to let a hundred million people take their chances with so-called mild breakthrough cases at a rate greater than one in ten.”

I’m not sure that that line of reasoning checks out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A posted:

Looking at the data, 80% of people are vaccinated in King County.

Once again children are considered nonpersons.

It does make some sense to separate the demographics by age here, but at least be explicit about it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 18, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I apologize because I recall that you are Canadian.

I don’t know that there is a single American county that breaks eighty percent vaccination. I found Martin County, NC on the NYT map, but other sources say its well below the NYT’s figure.

When Americans make statements like that, they know what they’re doing (including the government of King County), but a Canadian may not realize that American institutions are continually massaging the statistics and ignoring children at every turn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Meanwhile, in public events news…

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1434993803140665347
https://twitter.com/ScottDMenzel/status/1435025224253194247

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I have mixed feelings on large events. If most people attending them are vaccinated, then it seems okay? Yeah, a small number of them may end up testing positive but there is a risk with everything, isn't there?

My point in posting that was that there’s a discrepancy between the success reported by the media and the people involved in these events and the reality on the ground.

Even the official figures for Lollapalooza are a little over two hundred infections linked to it.

If two people died in shootings or stabbings every time a music festival was held, I would like to think that local authorities would do something about that.

How are u posted:

What's weird about this? Vaccinated people are getting breakthrough infections all the time. This is very well established, the vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity. The vaccines are keeping these people from getting severe covid, hospitalization, and death.

No one has impugned the honor of your vaccine, sir.

I, for one, have always followed the science that says that the rate of breakthroughs should be expected to be at least five percent—not the 0.0000000042069% the usual suspects trumpeted in May, based on a denominator of all vaccinated persons.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Draft everyone into the National Guard. Immunize them as appropriate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Do you consider the FDA panel that voted down boosters for healthy under 65s to not be experts? Why are Israel's medical experts opinions valid but not theirs?

One meteorologist says it’s going to rain overnight. Another meteorologist says it won’t.

They’re both experts. Either of them may be right.

What I’m actually going to do with this conflicting information is to to throw a tarp over the pallet of plaster I have in the side yard because it costs me little to do so and I’m risking a lot if it does rain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think you're missing a big part of this.

Let's say you do go ahead with a wide-scale booster campaign right now for everyone. Not just the elderly and immunocompromised. This isn't going to be a case of "Just get your booster they're throwing it out anyway", it'll be a deliberate campaign requiring putting aside hundreds of millions of shots for the US alone. That's hundreds of millions of shots that can't be sent elsewhere. Let's say Europe does it as well, hundreds of millions more. Etc...

Now if the data is showing the protection against severe disease and death is basically the same, but you get a moderate protection against infection (how long and how much for younger healthy people is still very much up in the air), is it worth not sending those shots to places that haven't had the first two yet? What's more likely to slow the global spread and prevent the next Ligma variant from popping up in the long run?

If I were God‐Emperor of All Mankind, and assuming I inherited this mess, I would send the vaccine overseas.

If I were instead a U.S. federal regulator, whose constituency is the people of the United States, I would approve boosters.

Neither of these has any substantial impact on the formation of the Ligma variant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

You don't need to be a God-Emperor. This thread often talks about how Biden can easily do federal mask mandates, forcibly vaccinate people etc. but he won't because there's no political will. It's basically the same thing here on a global scale with rich countries.

The FDA VRBPAC is not MSF.

Vaccinating the third world is very much not their bailiwick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

C411 posted:

Respiratory complications are a common comorbidity with spinal cord injuries. Greg Abbott is a paraplegic. It's very likely he's in the high risk category the FDA agrees should get a booster.

This was not the case at the time he received his booster, not that that materially changes the point of discussion.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Feingl-Ding’s problem isn’t that he’s alarmist. It’s that he fires from the hip.

He links to a lot of interesting stuff, but you can’t trust his interpretation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The “HOLY MOTHER OF GOD” tweet was right in its thesis if not it its predicates. Criticism of that particular tweet rings more than a little hollow.

The “Wuhan coronavirus”, as it was then known, would not be contained. It would go global, not because its basic reproductive number was so high as to be simply uncontainable, but because it had an ace up its sleeve in asymptomatic spread and because Western governments were unwilling to take decisive action against it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lol if only the U.S. had a national vaccination database.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cats are inveterate liars. We can’t trust the history it provides and must subject it to a battery of tests.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am aware that cats hide injuries as a survival trait.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stickman posted:

If they're concerned about quarantine infections, then I could see 21 days being sensible.

???

A person’s chance of being infected by bad, leaky quarantine is as great in the last week as it is in the first week. Sure, you’ll catch those first week cases in the third week, but that is entirely negated by the third week exposure.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 22, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe this was before we identified the emergence of the delta variant.

In May, after the WHO identified Delta as a variant of concern and after the CDC “updated” guidance for vaccinated persons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1vYnExV4g

quote:

[W]e now have science that has really just evolved, even in the last two weeks, that demonstrates that these vaccines are safe, they are effective, they are working in the population just as they did in the clinical trials, that they are working against our variants that we have here circulating in the United States, and that if you were to develop an infection even if you got vaccinated, you can’ transmit that infection to other people.

e:

https://i.imgur.com/LrXSwoB.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 24, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Professor Beetus posted:

I cannot believe I feel like I have to break this down this simply, but let me be absolutely clear: I did not say breakthrough cases are rare, I said that fully vaccinated people dying of covid was rare.

Professor Beetus posted:

If you can't handle the objective fact that fully vaccinated masked up are exceedingly unlikely to get covid, and infinitesimally unlikely to die from it , then it's actually you who needs to stay out of the thread.

Things that are “exceedingly unlikely” are not rare? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gio posted:

I’m an elementary school teacher. I wear a 3M 8210 N95 all day. If I don’t get Covid, they work.

I’m still facepalming that that’s CDC’s public enemy number three.