Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Muscle Tracer posted:

https://twitter.com/dvergano/status/1446101669159309314

"1 out of 500 children in the United States has experienced COVID-19-associated orphanhood or death of a grandparent caregiver."

They're defining "orphanhood" as including the death of one parent (including, I believe, among kids with more than one parent), which is... a way I've never heard that defined

I mean this is still horrible, to be clear. But I think to most people that headline would be very misleading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Never said it was all 1000.

edit nm

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

That's all she wrote lol.

again this is the kind of really helpful awesome contribution that leads some who read this thread to conclude that some people are cheering on the virus

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Insanite posted:

Is this totally it, then? No hope for <5yo shots in arms until mid-next-year, months after every kid in America has gotten COVID somewhere between one and four times?

Not a doctor, or even a particularly smart person, but that's my read on it for pfizer. Doesn't mean that Moderna or whoever won't have some significantly different results

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Wang Commander posted:

We've seen young healthy people get Parkinson's within a year of getting this

I have, in fact, not seen this

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

this "brain scrape" poo poo is the same as calling masks "face diapers" or whatever. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world but it's a necessary step towards safety. Grow up

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

how about you just say what your thought is on this very important matter

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Judakel posted:

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1475520110970478592

This is super dumb. A complete 180 due almost entirely to how we've given up on omicron spread.

I'm not following why this is dumb

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Judakel posted:

You're going to a pharmacy, potentially sick, to get the vaccine.

Well it was written as (numbering mine):

quote:

vaccination during quarantine could be considered during (1) outreach and contact tracing activities or (2) at the time of post-exposure SARS-CoV-2 testing"

Which to me sounds like it's either 1. during times that you're potentially being given a housecall of some kind or 2. during a time that you're already at a testing facility anyway, so there's no additional risk involved.

I agree that if neither of those were the case, it doesn't make sense to have you rush out to a pharmacy. But that doesn't seem to be what this is talking about

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Wang Commander posted:

I expect follow-ups on these at the 8 week mark where you start to see the crippling brain fog

what is the point of this

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

I am not going to preemptively ban posters because they disagree with you.

So how about you ban them because you yourself have deemed them to be chronic trolls

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I appreciate the effort you put into these posts but man, it's just a wall of text to me. Not sure if others think the same. If you could dump it into excel and generate some graphs i think these posts would be much more useful

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Bel Shazar posted:

Normal was horrid and longing for it is misguided at best. Long for better.

What is the point of this kind of post. You knew what they meant. Christ

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Bel Shazar posted:

I can't wait for the promised Flurona vaccine twice a year for the rest of my life

i mean yeah

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

^^^^^ exactly

Oh absolutely. I suspect a lot of the angst against lockdowns is the lack of funds to support folks lives. This is why lockdowns without the government paying for bills is doomed to fail. The Biden admin with the democrat majority could easily push something through to incentivize the states to lockdown and issue mandates.

The fact that they won’t is enough to prove they are either incompetent or straight up ghouls. As candidate Biden said

I don't think you're understanding the point made about the lack of child care. If schools and daycares are shut down, simply paying parents doesn't fix the problem - parents are still expected to work, but also have to now take care of their children. Which is difficult, to say the least, for people working from home and impossible for those who aren't or can't. Extra money doesn't necessarily address that problem.

I don't know what the solution is, but it's definitely not as simple as you're seeming to understand it to be

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

That's why you pay them not to work

And what job will I have to go back to once this lockdown you're proposing ends? How long will the lockdown be?

There are jobs that, if someone doesn't do them for a week, let alone multiple weeks or some indefinite period of time, the whole operation in question comes tumbling down. Again, I don't think that's being accounted for in these suggestions

Riptor fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 10, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

There will still be plenty of pent up demand for consumer goods and office paperwork or whatever. Companies will reopen.

drat you should run for office with that kind of clear and compelling vision. You cannot expect people to be okay with nuking their careers, especially those people who have been fortunate enough to maintain one throughout all this.

VitalSigns posted:

People who die of covid can't be resurrected

yes of course, which is why I'm not advocating against lockdowns, flat out. I'm very much in support of targeted, 'circuit breaker' lockdowns plus ample support for those that they affect. I'm pointing out that many people in this thread seem to have absolutely zero understanding of what the reality of their prescripted solutions would be like, or what the consequences would be.

Riptor fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 10, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

It's already the law that army reservists who are deployed cannot be fired and must be allowed to resume their old job or an equivalent upon their return

You can make it illegal to fire people for caring for their kids

How can you support circuit-breaker lockdowns though, what if people lose their jobs hmm

great points all around, you've convinced me there couldn't possibly be any issues. nevermind

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Would you care to actually debate and discuss or are you just here to drive by shitpost?

I'm not particularly interested in 'debating and discussing' with the poster who responded to the risk of nuking the careers of parents with a flippant "there will still be plenty of pent up demand for consumer goods and office paperwork or whatever", no.

I said my piece, VS said theirs, and it was garbage

Professor Beetus posted:

Setting aside my personal belief that a good number of jobs in America are bullshit makework (particularly the well-paying ones) to ensure that the country can continue to moralize those unable to secure consistent employment, I'm sure you know that the current status quo during covid is already causing a good many businesses to shutter.

Yes and I was not advocating for maintaining the status quo. I was agreeing with both Mooseontheloose and virtualboyCOLOR's assertion that lockdowns are a tough sell at the moment while also pointing out that I disagreed with virtualboyCOLOR's assessment of why lockdowns aren't being supported. It's not a 'lack of funds' as they asserted, but the childcare issue as Mooseontheloose was stating. VitalSigns came in with some, in my opinion, facile suggestions that to me, betray the fact that if they have any childcare needs themselves they are, at the very least, not the same as mine.

VitalSigns, and seemingly you, then decided that this means I'm, you know, some disciple of capitalism who suggests we all sacrifice ourselves to Moloch or whatever

Riptor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 10, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't really see any reason they should have provided more effort than your original dismissive post, tbh. Can you give some examples of jobs that would utterly cease to recover from a 4 week lockdown assuming that government financial assistance was available to both workers and employers?

The post you quoted was dismissive, for sure. And I apologize; it's not in the spirit of the thread - I agree.

But my original post wasn't. I feel that I'm being made to agree with a mod in order to continue in this thread now. And I won't do that.

Enki42 is doing a good job of articulating my concerns

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of arguments that paid family leave is a bad idea, because if parents take a month or two off to bond with their newborn they will be fired and it will derail their careers, so better to make them get a sitter and work for their own sake.

I think those arguments are nonsense; I think we have failed at a societal level on not normalizing what little paid leave some of us have now to say nothing of the fact we should be expanding it significantly. I work at a large multinational company and half my team is in Europe; multiple people on that side of my team have taken 12-14 month leaves and I was lucky enough to scrape by with like, 2 months here in the US when my daughter was born.

But those leaves are far easier for organizations to absorb because outside of very atypical experiences they almost always have a many-month leadup for people to prepare and delegate work, and they have a finite length, even if the length is significant. They're also almost always staggered, just by the nature that people don't tend to synchronize having kids with their coworkers. That is substantially different than a lockdown of indeterminate length which may happen with very little warning and which would affect many people simultaneously.

Riptor fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 10, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Boston-area wastewater showing a potential crest to the spike

https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

crepeface posted:

so it crested ~20th Dec? am i reading that right? have cases followed that curve pattern?

From Universal Hub, a great Boston area news blog where I saw this data posted:

https://www.universalhub.com/2022/deer-island-numbers-suggest-local-covid-19-surge posted:

The latest actual numbers of new Covid-19 cases reported by the state showed 17,802 new confirmed cases today, down from the 27,612 new confirmed Covid-19 cases reported on Jan. 6. However, the state reported 2,970 people with Covid-19 yesterday, up from 2,923 the day before. The state also reported 116 new confirmed Covid-19 deaths.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The upswing of cases did follow, but it lagged. Would the inverse make sense too?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Suzera posted:

Does the source of these number have the worldometer problem of backdating cases so the most recent day is always lower than it should be and dates in the past are filled in more every day?

No idea but it's been accurate with previous waves on both sides as far as I'm aware

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

It's worth mentioning that the wastewater data has been shown multiple times in this thread before, typically as an indication things are about to get bad, and it's never been interrogated by posters to this degree.

New York and CT are also seeing numbers start to improve (though admittedly not by the same metrics). So there's at least some reason to believe this is regionally consistent

I'm not saying this is set in stone, or that it's any indication that anyone's behavior should change, to be clear. It's just that the possibility this is indeed indicative of something positive shouldn't be dismissed

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Suzera posted:

It's definitely not time to start planning a Disney trip for next month yet at least.

Yes agreed which is why i said as much

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

re: testing locations, the Boston data is coming from the Deer Island Treatment Plant which appears to serve most of Boston: https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm

They have one color in the graph for the northern half of Boston and another for the southern part. So the wastewater data shouldn't be majorly affected by kids being back in school or something, it's aggregating most of the city.

All of Boston, to be clear, and most of the greater Boston area.

Something in the neighborhood of 40 municipalities and 2.5 million people. It's the second largest sewage treatment plant in the country

Edit: which is like 1/3 of the total population of Massachusetts

Riptor fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 12, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Also with regard to the snowmelt dilution question, they state they account for that by normalizing against Pepper Mild Mottle Virus which I have no idea what that is but i guess this makes sense:

https://biobot.io/covid19-report-notes/ posted:

Normalized viral concentration (genome copies per L of sewage)
We normalize the SARS-CoV-2 viral concentration to a fecal indicator, to account for differences in dilution. We use PMMoV as this fecal indicator, which is an RNA virus that is commonly excreted in stool

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

LionArcher posted:

It was never about the kids. It was always about free daycare for folks who probably shouldn't have been parents in the first place.

What a wildly lovely and easy-to-see-as-racist thing to say

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And now my toddlers' daycare is closed for the next couple days. Here we gooooo!

If this is inconvenient for you, apparently you should have never had children according to some folks in this thread

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

brugroffil posted:

It does suck that we've prioritized opening things like bars and restaurants rather than doing everything we can to make childcare and education as safe as possible.

Absolutely agreed

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

brugroffil posted:

I think part of it is that some of the loudest voices have been claiming concern for children and education quality, but once you strip it down enough it's really that they only care about the childcare part of it.

e: if they were at least up front about the whole "we need someone to watch out children while we work" aspect about it, it'd be more worthwhile. When they're lying about their base motivations and then turning around and attacking teachers/teachers' unions, they can go gently caress themselves. IMO.

I have no idea who "the loudest voices" are and I agree that anyone who's attacking teachers can go right to hell. But the 'care' in 'childcare' is the important part, and I think absent the people you're talking about being actively negligent, abusive or harmful to their children, or similar, it strikes me you're taking an extremely uncharitable read of motivations like this.

If you have to work, either from home but especially if not from home, and your child cannot go to school or a daycare, or be watched by anyone else, then it's likely you cannot adequately care for your child. Your child might be at risk of being injured, or of dying. Simply saying "they only care about the childcare part of it" isn't reason to dismiss the cares of that person.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

IT BURNS posted:

Injecting some levity into this otherwise bleak thread. This is from an email that I just got from HR encouraging employees to get vaccinated. FWIW, I agree with the typo (they sent out an email 30 seconds later correcting it):

GET BOOSTED OR GET BOOTED would rule as a policy

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Wang Commander posted:

I'm kind of confused why more people aren't freaking out over this.

Perhaps it is because they are more knowledgeable than you are, rather than you having some unique insight into the situation

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

Person who knows what they're talking about

Genuinely, thank you for this post

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

So Covid isn't airborne AIDS, it's more like airborne acute HIV. That would explain the stuff about post-infection mortality.

That certainly undermines the idea that Covid is something we can just learn to live with.

How did you get that from that

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Wang Commander posted:

It's incredibly frustrating that the T-Cell experts are so grumpy about everyone else saying "oh covid is no big deal because T-cells" that they're engaging in doomer clout chasing "I told you so"

you're the one giving them that clout

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I'm guessing if, as we know, minks can get covid, we wouldn't be solving anything by depending on ferrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

So it's been a week since I posted the Boston-area wastewater graph and there's been a few very encouraging developments.

The first is that the sharp drop has continued

and secondly, the case count in Boston, as measured by the 7 day average of new confirmed cases as well as the 7 day average of positive test percentages, has begun to mirror that drop: