Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Also loving SHOUT OUT to the absolutely flawless execution of simply putting a fake head on the back of someone’s real head so that when you shoot it facing the fake head EVERY movement looks weird and wrong. They didn’t even blend any of that poo poo with CG, that thing looked like the mask from the end of Brazil. Wan knows exactly what he’s doing and all he wants to do is gently caress around. I’m so glad this guy is gonna have carte Blanche to do whatever he wants for the rest of his life minus studio notes except let the Asian dude gently caress a white woman, but don’t think I didn’t see what you were trying to do James Wan. Respect.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I thought it was a really bad horror movie. It wasn't scary at all, ever, which makes it pretty bad by default in my book.

Then it turned even sillier in the last act and became pretty awesome for a while. I guess it's okay as an action comedy or something.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

weekly font posted:

Her jerk husband probably had a jerk job.

I don't think sperm banks pay THAT well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Von Pluring posted:

I thought it was a really bad horror movie. It wasn't scary at all, ever, which makes it pretty bad by default in my book.

Yes, this movie is neither scary nor a good movie. But yes it's also loving awesome and we all love it, sincerely. No irony.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horror movies never scare me so for me it’s just a weird complaint.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Horror movies almost always scare me, and this one didn't at all outside of some lovely grody imagery, so it definitely failed in that regard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have no idea what that would be like lol.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's fun.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

caligulamprey posted:

except let the Asian dude gently caress a white woman, but don’t think I didn’t see what you were trying to do James Wan. Respect.

What

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Von Pluring posted:

Then it turned even sillier in the last act and became pretty awesome for a while. I guess it's okay as an action comedy or something.

It's almost certainly not scary at all for the runtime, which honestly is part of the point and pretty funny. Like, it's very intentional that every nighttime shot has smoke machines just billowing the stuff everywhere. Or how the coloured lighting is ridiculous in every way.

And as it was pointed out in the Half In The Bag review, the interior of the house, which we seem many times, obviously does not fit in the exterior of the house which we also see many times.

It's very much parody/homage played straight, which is what makes it good. If they made actual jokes within the script it would've taken away from the experience.

Of course it's a good movie. It's a movie, and I had a good time watching it, and I'm pretty sure everyone involved knew exactly what they were making and was happy with the result.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think it’s a parody. Being campy and going for it isn’t a parody. It’s just fun and operating on movie logic.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The chair was amazing, the multi-ethnic girl gang who looked liked they were costumed at a Spirit Halloween were amazing, everything about this movie owned

He did put his model wife into an absolutely nothing role whose only character trait is 'wants to gently caress a guy who looks like a more attractive James Wan' so

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Can we take a second to appreciate this woman? I laughed so hard at this moment

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I genuinely have no idea how people can look at this and think the end result is unintentional.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

caligulamprey posted:

except let the Asian dude gently caress a white woman, but don’t think I didn’t see what you were trying to do James Wan. Respect.

Detective Kekoa and sister Sydney were definitely making eyes at each other, Detective Regina even made a comment about it. I'm going to assume they get it on after the events of the movie.

Talking about who lives and who dies: I was pretty surprised that the entire main cast survived, I was sure that at least Regina would bite it since she was very mean to Madison. While I was watching I figured they would do the Halloween ending where they think they kill Gabriel, but then there's no body... but then they didn't even do that, they just leave everyone alive.

Thinking of Malignant I'm sort of reminded of Carrie, another movie with a real blow-out ending. Also not a scary movie (except for the final jump scare).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think it’s a parody. Being campy and going for it isn’t a parody. It’s just fun and operating on movie logic.

I don't really have the right word for it, I guess I'm unused to hearing 'camp' in that matter but that's definitely it. Everything is 'theatrical' in every sense of the word. Every piece of set design is like a haunted house show and it knows it.

It knows exactly what it's doing and does it well (at least, the majority of the time).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is like horror movie comfort food. We open with a scene lit like an Argento movie (and it goes back to that palette at a few crucial times), get a 90s-as-gently caress opening credits sequence, a TV flips to an old western, there's a snarly-voiced serial killer, and yes, an extra in the prison scene is dressed like she's in a blaxploitation movie for no reason whatsoever. There is so much love here.

(Also Zoë Bell is in that scene playing a character named "Scorpion" and I understand that reference!)

Yep it rules. It's exactly the film it wants to be, weird and crazy and yeah maybe never really scary but stylish and compelling. There's so much great camera stuff too, lots of people framed in windows and through doorways and such, everything's very crisp and clear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Cafe Barbarian posted:

Detective Kekoa and sister Sydney were definitely making eyes at each other, Detective Regina even made a comment about it. I'm going to assume they get it on after the events of the movie.

Talking about who lives and who dies: I was pretty surprised that the entire main cast survived, I was sure that at least Regina would bite it since she was very mean to Madison. While I was watching I figured they would do the Halloween ending where they think they kill Gabriel, but then there's no body... but then they didn't even do that, they just leave everyone alive.

I was very sure the pathologist girl with the crush on the lead detective would die, they give her just enough characterization to make you think "Oh no" when she's in danger but of course she's not on Gabriel's kill list. Nicely done.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mfw when I see gabe

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Honestly, not having the cop get with sis would have been fine if his last scene was in the precinct instead of showing up at the hospital just to be useless again. You don’t even have to kill him, I just like the idea of gabe getting the entirety of the Seattle police department out of the movie in one fell swoop.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m all for intentionally cheesy horror but I guess I must be missing something because me and my girlfriend thought this was awful. Like, “how do people get Hollywood megabucks to make these kinds of movies” bad.

I dunno. I generally dislike horror movies because of how ineffective and uninspired they are. And I can appreciate going for absurdity, but this was just, eh.

I must not be the target audience, but I also feel like anyone going blind expecting a good horror outing would feel let down. Like really? This is what constitutes a tentpole horror film these days?

I’m sure I’ll be dogpiled for “not liking fun” or other such stuff, but, oh well.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

man nurse posted:

This is what constitutes a tentpole horror film these days?

No, this is what constitutes a director who just made a studio over a billion dollars blowing his "one for me" on a goofy personal project trying to recapture the schlock of his youth. Tentpole horror movies these days are mostly in the mold of A24 "elevated horror" stuff like Hereditary.

And...

man nurse posted:

I generally dislike horror movies

I must not be the target audience

yeah

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean sure, I can relish in a director cashing in his clout to make something absurd. Freddy Got Fingered is a great example. Does that make it good? That’s very much up for debate.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

man nurse posted:

I mean sure, I can relish in a director cashing in his clout to make something absurd. Freddy Got Fingered is a great example. Does that make it good? That’s very much up for debate.

Well yeah, I'm just saying this ain't exactly a standard tentpole in the same way Freddy Got Fingered wasn't exactly a standard wide-release comedy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Nope, we totally get why somebody would not like this movie. I don't even think, deep down, that all of us here truly understand why we do like it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bewilderment posted:

I don't really have the right word for it, I guess I'm unused to hearing 'camp' in that matter but that's definitely it. Everything is 'theatrical' in every sense of the word. Every piece of set design is like a haunted house show and it knows it.

It knows exactly what it's doing and does it well (at least, the majority of the time).

I think the word is "homage", but 90's/00's horror isn't something people probably thought would ever get that kind of treatment because a lot of it wasn't good in specific ways, vs 80s/70s horror. Now we know what it would look like.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the best part about the chair toss is gabe didn't need to do that, he was just being a jerk
my man is endearing despite eating the babies

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

For people saying this is not a horror movie, I think that's fair. imo it's almost more like a superhero origin story (a loving awesome one)

Her problem is honestly reminiscent of The Incredible Hulk, and with locking Gabriel up inside at the end and the little hints of her electrical powers you could pretty easily imagine a sequel where Madison/Emily is forced to negotiate with Gabriel in order to use their powers together for good purposes.

Absolutely loved the use of the goofy as hell "Where Is My Mind" Pixies cover used throughout the movie that raised all kinds of Fight Club questions. Kinda surprised at the people who loved it but said the first 90 minutes was rough; I felt utterly enraptured by the "what the gently caress is going on" mystery, and how much that mystery was actually reasonably solvable with what we've been given up to that point. Just, complete commitment to the premise and the script, and trust in the audience... really a beautiful experience.

Complete speculation, but, as a big fan of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, I couldn't help but wonder if there was some influence. The main villain of season 5 is born under mysterious circumstances (like a 2 year gestation period), and eventually comes to hide his entire presence and identity within the body of an entirely unsuspecting person (whom he calls through an imaginary phone). This villain's name? Diavolo... the Devil. In Jojo, powerful characters eventually come to have "Stands," super-powered psychic alter ego things, and Diavolo's has this hosed-up weird little extra head protruding from it: Jojo overall takes on a very similar tone of action-thriller with extreme body horror and comedy elements, and even if there was no conscious influence I find this overlap kind of amazing.

Martman fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 21, 2021

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
A lot of the gore in this and the way the antagonist moved reminded me very much of video game special effects, but it worked for me! I wish I had watched this with friends instead of all alone, it was a nutty movie that would have been great to enjoy with others.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
James Wan really lucked out with Saw because that was a really good movie. And a good short.

Everything else he has ever done is . . . not.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Except for his most recent movie, Malignant, which is good and cool

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Can't wait to see Gabe as the next guest character in Mortal Kombat. (please do this, Netherrealm, it would be dope)

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

OnlyBans posted:

James Wan really lucked out with Saw because that was a really good movie. And a good short.

Pathetic threadshit....you registered today for this?

remigious posted:

A lot of the gore in this and the way the antagonist moved reminded me very much of video game special effects, but it worked for me! I wish I had watched this with friends instead of all alone, it was a nutty movie that would have been great to enjoy with others.

There's two different contortionists credited for Gabriel in the movie, one of them is this contortionist/dancer Marina Mazepa from Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l9TX-zDtfw

you can see a lot of Gabriel's tricks right there, Mazepa is basically a walking special effect.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snowman_McK posted:

Can't wait to see Gabe as the next guest character in Mortal Kombat. (please do this, Netherrealm, it would be dope)

No.

Make a Malignant: Tumors Die Twice stealth action game

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The first 35 minutes: hmm is it me or is the dialogue awful?

The moment the walls started melting around her: Oh hell yeah I'm in!

I went into this blind besides hearing how crazy it is and it lived up to the hype. Props to James Wan for intentionally directing every single actor to be bad, I guess. It's operating on so many layers of irony it's now camp. The jail sequence was one of the funniest scenes I've seen, like tears streaming down my face laughing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gresh posted:

Can we take a second to appreciate this woman? I laughed so hard at this moment
Honestly, I have no idea who "this" woman is as I appreciate all the reactions including the lady who looks creepily delighted in the background.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

OnlyBans posted:

Nah this is way better than Saw.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, everything Wan has done besides Death Sentence is better than Saw.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Cafe Barbarian posted:

Pathetic threadshit....you registered today for this?

There's two different contortionists credited for Gabriel in the movie, one of them is this contortionist/dancer Marina Mazepa from Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l9TX-zDtfw

you can see a lot of Gabriel's tricks right there, Mazepa is basically a walking special effect.

Holy hell, that’s awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, everything Wan has done besides Death Sentence is better than Saw.

Death Sentence still had the parking garage scene, which was pretty loving cool.

Snooze Cruise posted:

No.

Make a Malignant: Tumors Die Twice stealth action game

They've already got the Bloodborne coat, so sure.