Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah this was good.

I liked the insanely hammy acting the opening. Did anyone else assume the husband was involved in causing the miscarriages? I thought the whole abused spouse angle would loom a little larger thematically, and I suppose it does in that the protagonist is also an abused...sister, but the husband beating her up is the catalyst for the whole movie. Gabriel felt more like an alter ego that an abusive partner.

Completely bonkers, phantasmagoric, nutty. I loved how the POWER TO MANIPULATE THE ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD was kind of a minor addendum and mostly used for atmospherics and spooky talking.

Also this plot was very similar to that Treehouse of Horror episode. Although I suppose evil twins are not exactly in short supply in horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The one bonkers level thing I thought they did that they didn't do was somehow involve her fetuses in some sort of evil monster way, which I assume is saved for the sequel

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have just realized I get James Wan and Justin Lin mixed up for a lot. All this time I thought it was Justin Lin who directed Aquaman, but no it is James Wan.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mike N Eich posted:

The one bonkers level thing I thought they did that they didn't do was somehow involve her fetuses in some sort of evil monster way, which I assume is saved for the sequel

For a bit at the start I was expecting the killer to be her miscarried fetus crawling around and killing people. That pushing her into a wall had somehow triggered its self defense mechanism and it had just slithered right out of her and killed the husband to protect its mother and was now roaming around at night seeking fresh blood and would eventually seek to return to her womb.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I got spoiled on the plot by my brother and his wife, but I wasn't planning on seeing it anyway; most of Wan's horror fare doesn't do much for me. Glad I did now because it was hilarious. if you know to look out for it, all the backwards contortionist stuff is extra impressive, I think.

The opening was so goofy I now want Wan to either create a new Sierra FMV game or turn Phantasmagoria 1 or 2 into a movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

FreudianSlippers posted:

For a bit at the start I was expecting the killer to be her miscarried fetus crawling around and killing people. That pushing her into a wall had somehow triggered its self defense mechanism and it had just slithered right out of her and killed the husband to protect its mother and was now roaming around at night seeking fresh blood and would eventually seek to return to her womb.

I love It’s Alive! too

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MichaelusEdward/status/1444078655186116608

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that is really good

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I loved this, my favorite part was everyone going "What the gently caress?!" right before the prison fight and that one random blaxpoitation movie extra. But apparently I'm really stupid or I have goon face blindness because it wasn't until the moment when the mom falls out of the ceiling, which was my second favorite part, that I finally realized she and Madison were totally different characters. When she first appeared giving the tour I seriously thought that was Madison even though she looked older. Obviously it didn't really make sense that she was tied up but also going about her life (while also looking noticeably younger) but I thought maybe there was some weird psychic mind stuff or hypnosis going on that would be explained later. I'd been assuming that Gabriel was her evil conjoined twin but I figured that, I don't know, he'd somehow grown into a separate full-grown body and was now posing as the "real" Madison or it was an illusion or some poo poo like that.

I guess I wasn't super far off, but it did make that ceiling scene even funnier.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I took my friend to see this for my 2nd watch and it was his first, he enjoys a lot of horror films but I don't know if I'd call him a buff on the genre, he kept making faces during the intro sequence and was questioning my taste. I've shown him plenty of really good horror films he enjoyed but never heard of. It kept going and I could tell that he wasn't really enjoying it, then the third act happened and he slowly turned towards me and went "What the fuuuuuck? It keeps going doesn't it?" Then the jail cell scene started up and he joined in with the audience for the laughs.

I was also high as loving poo poo and haven't laughed that long in a really long time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

wizardofloneliness posted:

I loved this, my favorite part was everyone going "What the gently caress?!" right before the prison fight and that one random blaxpoitation movie extra. But apparently I'm really stupid or I have goon face blindness because it wasn't until the moment when the mom falls out of the ceiling, which was my second favorite part, that I finally realized she and Madison were totally different characters. When she first appeared giving the tour I seriously thought that was Madison even though she looked older. Obviously it didn't really make sense that she was tied up but also going about her life (while also looking noticeably younger) but I thought maybe there was some weird psychic mind stuff or hypnosis going on that would be explained later. I'd been assuming that Gabriel was her evil conjoined twin but I figured that, I don't know, he'd somehow grown into a separate full-grown body and was now posing as the "real" Madison or it was an illusion or some poo poo like that.

I guess I wasn't super far off, but it did make that ceiling scene even funnier.

I admit to also having the same goon faceblindness for that particular character. I was like "wait, her face is similar but also kinda different... I thought she was a nurse?"

Felt very silly at the 'reveal' of that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm so glad I listened to the advice of The Internet and went into this blind. The treasured experience will live with me forever.

You know what I ended up liking about this beyond the cray-rear end batshit and outright buffoonery? The fact that everything...well...actually did end up :airquote:making sense:airquote:, at least as far as batshit buffoonery could make sense. There were a couple of elements throughout the first couple acts that felt at first like random horror film background noise, like her failed pregnancies that just seemed like the requisite sad backstory that every horror film heroine gets saddled with...but no, there's actually a good explanation for that which makes complete sense in retrospect, it's only that I hadn't really thought about it because, again, it had felt like so much horror movie white noise. Or the fact that her and Gabriel's "psychic connection" was a result of literally sharing the same brain instead of the generic "he's my twin, I can just feel him" concept.

Well worth my time and energy. Looking forward to the Gabriel/Aquaman crossover team-up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This was an X-Men movie I didn't know I wanted.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

This was an X-Men movie Mr. Bloodborne from Bloodborne escapes into the normal world film I didn't know I wanted.

Echoing that this was was really fun and stupid and i loved it. I'm always a fan of stupid horror movies that are earnest and dedicated to whatever stupid thing they pick as their conceit and this is a perfect example.

Also, genuinely, the stuntwork was loving amazing and that finale was one of the best action scenes of the last few years.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

The intro credits are ripped right out 00's horror and i love it

What? The intro is clearly a throwback to 80s/early 90s horror movies

Like Re-animator or some poo poo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I dunno it feels more like Se7en to me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It honestly reminded me of the opening to the infamous 1996 Island of Dr. Moreau.

I think it's fair to say this is a movie that just borrows from everything over decades of horror film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like most good films

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's basically every horror movie Wan rented from the video store. I largely got a 90s vibe from it though.

Weirdly I've seen more than one review imply the the movie took itself seriously and it's like we literally open on a spooky clifftop hospital lit by the moon and shrouded in fog. It's a Scooby Doo establishing shot. There's no seriousness in this movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

It's basically every horror movie Wan rented from the video store. I largely got a 90s vibe from it though.

Weirdly I've seen more than one review imply the the movie took itself seriously and it's like we literally open on a spooky clifftop hospital lit by the moon and shrouded in fog. It's a Scooby Doo establishing shot. There's no seriousness in this movie.
Not to make everything about Marvel, but I think that whole style of movie has tricked a lot of people into thinking that if you're not winking at the camera and laughing every few minutes, then the movie is grimdark and super serious. A lot of people are really uncomfortable with earnestly-presented cheesy ridiculousness.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

DrVenkman posted:

we literally open on a spooky clifftop hospital lit by the moon and shrouded in fog. It's a Scooby Doo establishing shot.

It's practically the Laboratory of Dr. Weird, South Jersey Shore.

And yeah I can't imagine how anyone sees... anything in the first five or last thirty minutes and thinks this is taking itself seriously. Yeah, it slows down for a while, but that's to make the punchline land.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Just realized this movie is heavily influenced by the 80s classic Basket Case

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This seems like a fun film to watch. The title may well be a clue, but is this centered around cancer, or a person with cancer? My wife has PTSD from some awful events in her life, so any media that focuses on it are out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

henpod posted:

This seems like a fun film to watch. The title may well be a clue, but is this centered around cancer, or a person with cancer? My wife has PTSD from some awful events in her life, so any media that focuses on it are out.

It’s hard to give way without giving it away, but the title is more of a metaphor than literal.

I’d watch it first to be safe

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

henpod posted:

The antagonist is at times referred to as “the cancer” but it is not literal and there’s nothing like chemotherapy or radiation treatment.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The antagonist is at times referred to as “the cancer” but it is not literal and there’s nothing like chemotherapy or radiation treatment.

While I agree with this, it's worth noting that parts of the movie are still medical in nature, but in a very goofy sort of way. It really depends on how close something needs to get before it starts bothering your wife... as someone with a similar issue I understand how the mind can sometimes draw its own lines with a piece of evocative imagery, but I'm inclined to say it's safe.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thinking about that finale again.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I dunno it feels more like Se7en to me.

This is the most spot on. For some reason I was thinking stuff like Final Destination had similar openings. Wrong Turn (2003) is similar to Malignants though! Lol

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

sethsez posted:

While I agree with this, it's worth noting that parts of the movie are still medical in nature, but in a very goofy sort of way. It really depends on how close something needs to get before it starts bothering your wife... as someone with a similar issue I understand how the mind can sometimes draw its own lines with a piece of evocative imagery, but I'm inclined to say it's safe.

As a medical guy, Malignant has the absolute single funniest line of fake medical dialogue I’ve ever heard from a movie, but that’s likely as cancery as it gets.

Referring to Gabriel as an “advanced teratoma” slayed me.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

weekly font posted:

Referring to Gabriel as an “advanced teratoma” slayed me.

Yeah, this joke is just loving perfect.

Everyone watch this very good stupid movie. Thanks.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

OK, perfect. Thank you!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Gresh posted:

Can we take a second to appreciate this woman? I laughed so hard at this moment

This lady's death is the greatest homage to MacGruber I've ever seen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ror posted:

This lady's death is the greatest homage to MacGruber I've ever seen.

...what? I didn't spot that at all.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0iumyAGVOY

Guessing they're referring to this

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched it, really good poo poo. Wan has been hit or miss for me in his recent work but this superb. Feel like it might be a cult classic in a few years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cool stuff about how they created Gabriel:
https://www.avclub.com/getting-to-gabriel-how-malignant-s-creative-team-broug-1847888853

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

This was a real fun movie. My fave film I've seen in a while despite being not that great in a lot of ways

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/dreadcentral/status/1465481836960759810?s=21

I’m not so sure about this given the surprises are a large part of what made this film enjoyable so it’s have to bring something new to the table, but I’d be there if this does happen regardless

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gabe is forever baybe

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
GABE WILL RETURN IN... THUNDERBALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The template is already there in Basketcase 2 and 3. Gabe gets a girlfriend and makes baby Gabies.