Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

Tiggum posted:

And I still don't give a single poo poo about Yorrick. Why is he even in the show? What is the point of him?

A white dude who is in no way qualified, capable, or deserving of being the last man on earth is. And for no real good reason. His black travelling partner, among the most generally capable persons alive, is responsible for him. Maybe he's just a lucky dude, it sounds like a fun sexy time for him.

The casting is excellent, and I'm glad to see the team is making the material their own and updating it for right now, while still keeping the original look and feel. The creators are talking about five seasons, and with such a wide variety of subplots and locations to choose from and remix, there's plenty of time and plenty of road to explore the characters and their relationships.

I'll keep watching till I lose interest.

Mr_Companie fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is it getting the kind of viewership it'd need to stay alive? I worry that it's going to be another of those big budget test shows that turns up for season and then gets cancelled because the viewers weren't Stranger Things level.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

LinkesAuge posted:

I know this has the potential to be kind of controversial but so far the women in this show act TOO much like men in postapocalyptic settings.

Minor comics spoiler:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is it getting the kind of viewership it'd need to stay alive? I worry that it's going to be another of those big budget test shows that turns up for season and then gets cancelled because the viewers weren't Stranger Things level.

FX is a very unique channel, no one is quite sure how their executives make their decisions but typically they give big shows some breathing room, because they’ve had absolutely massive success with things like The Shield, It’s Always Sunny, etc

Yorick in the comics is presented as, so far, kind of a completely and totally different character than he is in the show, but the show is also taking great lengths to paint him as shallow and stupid and selfish in a way that the originals took more time to set up. One of the first plots Yorick deals with in the comics is finding a town settled by a women’s prison, and they are all gay with each other and he has a big shitfit about it, but it’s essentially the comic’s first big plot point about Yorick realizing that everything he thinks is stupid and wrong and OBVIOUSLY this would happen, it’s not like women would just give up on a love and sex in a post male world. That’s what a big growing up moment looked like for men in 2002, accepting gay people.

For obvious cultural reasons, I really doubt we’re gonna get that specific plot beat, but I do expect something a little similar.

And yes, a lot of things would continue to function, but all of the industries where we’ve allowed sexism to continue to dominate and shape our workforce will come back to bite us in the rear end. This was already illustrated by their only being one Nuclear Plant engineer they needed and could find, and she was too busy grieving her sons until President Mom appealed to her sense of nurture.

Imagine all the regions in parts of the world where women aren’t allowed to learn to read or work. What’s happening in America is the transfer of existing infrastructure pools to the new powers. In other countries, you’re seeing fundamentally massive paradigm shifts as huge swathes of women are functionally “liberated” into a society that has never made any room for them, or treated them as though they mattered.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Yorick in the comics is presented as, so far, kind of a completely and totally different character than he is in the show, but the show is also taking great lengths to paint him as shallow and stupid and selfish in a way that the originals took more time to set up. One of the first plots Yorick deals with in the comics is finding a town settled by a women’s prison, and they are all gay with each other and he has a big shitfit about it, but it’s essentially the comic’s first big plot point about Yorick realizing that everything he thinks is stupid and wrong and OBVIOUSLY this would happen, it’s not like women would just give up on a love and sex in a post male world. That’s what a big growing up moment looked like for men in 2002, accepting gay people.

For obvious cultural reasons, I really doubt we’re gonna get that specific plot beat, but I do expect something a little similar.

That's not what happens in that arc. I just read it and he gets mad about the fact that this pure milkmaid scarlet o'hara romance he's having is with a girl who's not as perfect as he thought it was, and that she has an ugly past as a drug dealer and murderer. He gets over it after five minutes.

She's straight. There's another girl there who's implied to be straight. There are also queer women there in a relationship but the crux of his arc is that he's an armchair liberal and feminist ally who has his opinions on the world challenged and augmented, for the better -- so, yes essentially your overall point.

The Yorick of the show is serving a different thematic point, and I don't know if it's well served to make him so hapless.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Judakel posted:

The liberal vs. conservative characters angle is so cartoonish. Is that in the comic book?

Not really. In the comics, Yorick and Hero's mom is a very minor congresswoman who is explicitly an anti-abortion Democrat and never becomes president. The new president is Bush's secretary of agriculture, because in 2002 that was who the highest ranking woman in the order of succession was. There is a minor plot point at the beginning where the widows of Republican politicians try to take over the government but it pretty much fizzles out in a few pages.

I think the bigger example of the show being adapted for a 2021 liberal audience is the complete elimination of the Israeli villains. I'll similarly be curious if the Russian spy character who helps Yorick and 355 is brought in given how liberals view Russia now.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pillowpants posted:

Well, for one. 95% of people who operate wind and solar plants would be dead. Our military would be decimated. 93% (I looked it up) of our cargo and container ship captains would be dead. Most of the people who know how to operate an oil platform too. There’s one female engineer for every ten male. It stands to reason that without proper training poo poo would get bad really fast.

Most of the planes and trains would crash, leaving huge amounts of damage.

What about middle eastern countries where women aren’t allowed to do certain things?

This but for every single infrastructure system. Only 11% of construction crews are women and that includes people that work in desk jobs. Who is clearing the highways?

Cops are also around 90% men in the US. Who is enforcing any laws?

The world would completely go packets of roving tribes if all the men died because women just aren't in control by numbers in WAY too many systems out there. I know this is a hot topic for some people (the system being against certain races/sexes), but the show is really putting a light on it at least by you having to question it. The reality is that so many things would start to fail fast that it would be a multi year rebuilding process.

People physically fought over toilet paper when there was NO shortage in real life. What will those people do when there is an actual shortage of supplies (86% of semi truck drivers are men) and no law enforcement? How fast do you think society could refill and retrain those positions while also trying to stop domino effect catastrophes from happening?

I've never read the comic (except for maybe the first one). On the show, I've been liking it so far. Weirdly Yorrick reminds me of Quentin from Magicians. They both start out as whiny failed magicians that you can't stand.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Food for thought:

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1440208492573331464?s=21

What happens here, in the setting of y: the last man? Population: 38,000,000 people, and NO GOVERNMENT OF ANY KIND, so roughly 19,000,000 just hanging out wondering WTF is going on?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Y comic ends with all-female Iran developing a nuclear bomb and it being celebrated in the West as a sign of how liberated Muslim women now are.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat this week’s episode was not playing around. Surprised we also spent no time at the White House, just hanging with the kids the whole time. Really ramped up the tension.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

I'm not trying to ruin anyones good time but I popped in here looking to see how people were feeling and am surprised to find people liking it this much thus far. I devoured the entire comic series in only a couple sittings just before the series came out and have been pretty bored throughout it's run thus far to the point I might drop out entirely. I'm not someone who objects to new characters or diversions from the source material. And I'm having a hard time figuring out why I nearly fall asleep every episode beyond a general feeling of it feeling like its not going anywhere.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Mr_Companie posted:

creators are talking about five seasons,
maybe this will be a reserve walking dead where it just gets better and more coherent with a banger of a finale.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

MasterSitsu posted:

I'm not trying to ruin anyones good time but I popped in here looking to see how people were feeling and am surprised to find people liking it this much thus far. I devoured the entire comic series in only a couple sittings just before the series came out and have been pretty bored throughout it's run thus far to the point I might drop out entirely. I'm not someone who objects to new characters or diversions from the source material. And I'm having a hard time figuring out why I nearly fall asleep every episode beyond a general feeling of it feeling like its not going anywhere.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. The first three episodes were kind of meandering and felt like they were just spending a ton of time establishing the characters and setting. The fourth episode felt like it was starting to pick up the pace a bit, though.

Maybe a symptom of the "drop a handful of episodes at once then go to weekly episodes" trend that's becoming more prevalent? Instead of trying to hook people with the first episode, they just drag out character and world building through the first few episodes since they figure everyone will just watch them all together anyway.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I haven’t read the comics since I was a wee lad, maybe 16-17, but I’m just intrigued to see what the premise does and so far I really just love the whole cast. Yorick & 355 are starting to show chemistry as duo and that’s when the books got good.

I also wanna see all the lady CHUD stuff explored because that stuff seems really interesting to me. How do you maintain a heteronormative misogynistic patriarchy in a society with no men, why on the loving planet earth would you want to? That’s a neat question that I don’t feel like I’ve seen a lot in Sci Fi and I want to explore it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

MasterSitsu posted:

The comic is set up mostly like a quest or road trip, with the focus on Yorick and 355 travelling towards various places and their misadventures along the way.

So far, the show seems to be intentionally taking a different focus. Its less about Yorick's own physical journey, and more about exploring what the world would be like after this sort of disaster. Closer to the first season of The Leftovers than anything else.

Personally I don't mind the change in focus, but I can see why someone expecting to see the comic translated to the screen might be confused or bored.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

maybe this will be a reserve walking dead where it just gets better and more coherent with a banger of a finale.

The Walking Dead has found its mojo again

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly I just think it’s refreshing to have a post-apocalypse without any zombies or monsters or aliens.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bust Rodd posted:

How do you maintain a heteronormative misogynistic patriarchy in a society with no men, why on the loving planet earth would you want to?
It's probably a lot easier to believe that men are wonderful and superior when there aren't any around.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly I just think it’s refreshing to have a post-apocalypse without any zombies or monsters or aliens.

Agreed. I would like to see this but “what if all the conservatives/liberals just died”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

The comic is set up mostly like a quest or road trip, with the focus on Yorick and 355 travelling towards various places and their misadventures along the way.

So far, the show seems to be intentionally taking a different focus. Its less about Yorick's own physical journey, and more about exploring what the world would be like after this sort of disaster.

Being pedantic, it was never totally about Yorick's physical journey either. At the core it's a story about a boy becoming a man. And as far as that goes, we're definitely heading towards that. Yorick's intervention is coming, for a start. In episode 4 alone he puts himself into needless jeopardy twice. I also can't see them missing out the prison village and the Other Beth.

The things we're seeing dropped from the comic are the things that distract from the point. For instance, I don't believe that the Setauket Ring will appear at any point because the Amulet of Helene has been left out.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I think I like this show because it’s showing what the beginning looks like which is something TWD never did (even though FTWD claimed to, it did a time jump or 20)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Being pedantic, it was never totally about Yorick's physical journey either. At the core it's a story about a boy becoming a man. And as far as that goes, we're definitely heading towards that. Yorick's intervention is coming, for a start. In episode 4 alone he puts himself into needless jeopardy twice. I also can't see them missing out the prison village and the Other Beth.

The things we're seeing dropped from the comic are the things that distract from the point. For instance, I don't believe that the Setauket Ring will appear at any point because the Amulet of Helene has been left out.

There are a few other things that were present, or at least teased, in the comic by this point that were also dropped that I think reflect that: Alter, the Amazons, the surviving male astronauts on the space station as well as the changes with his relationship with Beth, with her making it explicit from the start that she was not happy with him proposing.

On a somewhat related note, I've seen a lot of reviews of the show seem to be angry at the fact that Yorick is in it at all, like he's taking away from the "real" story. It's not like the show was advertised as "all men die" and then Yorick surviving was a twist.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

On a somewhat related note, I've seen a lot of reviews of the show seem to be angry at the fact that Yorick is in it at all, like he's taking away from the "real" story. It's not like the show was advertised as "all men die" and then Yorick surviving was a twist.

lmao

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's not like it's the title of the show or anything.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Lord of the Rings would be such a better movie without all these loser hobbits dweebing up the cool magic elf war

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chairman Capone posted:

There are a few other things that were present, or at least teased, in the comic by this point that were also dropped that I think reflect that: Alter, the Amazons, the surviving male astronauts on the space station as well as the changes with his relationship with Beth, with her making it explicit from the start that she was not happy with him proposing.

We've already seen the show's version of the Amazons in ep 4. We never got the full story of how Hero signed up with them, but we know it was because they had food and organisation. We're also on track to encounter Alter Tse-Elon because the Republican president is in Tel Aviv. That arc is probably better introduced later once the show is established, though, as is the third thing you mentioned.

One thing that will be interesting is if they ever explain what caused the Gendercide in the show. Vaughan has previously stated that the actual cause was a man-made contagion coming out of China that had been introduced by the US government as an attempt to reduce the viability of male foetuses, but it mutated into something that killed all males regardless of age. Yeah.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven’t read the comics since I was a wee lad, maybe 16-17, but I’m just intrigued to see what the premise does and so far I really just love the whole cast. Yorick & 355 are starting to show chemistry as duo and that’s when the books got good.

I also wanna see all the lady CHUD stuff explored because that stuff seems really interesting to me. How do you maintain a heteronormative misogynistic patriarchy in a society with no men, why on the loving planet earth would you want to? That’s a neat question that I don’t feel like I’ve seen a lot in Sci Fi and I want to explore it.

Wow -pretty much gonna go "same" with your entire post. 355 is really perfect and even Yorick is starting to listen to her. Their partnership is going to be fun to see.

LadyChud point intrigues me too from several standpoints. You really haven't seen this explored often in shows and with the plethora of Karen vids and them doing insanity (thanks Trumplol thread and living in Alberta) during our RL semi apocalypse I I find it far more realistic. As far as their motivations and why they would try and stick with traditional conservative values despite being oppressed by them? Same with real life. I figure for most it's a power grab and then inside that group you got various levels of grifter, lunatic and just plain evil. I'm just guessing but the new Repub survivor definitely gives me vibes of calling for mass immolation of heretics to appease Southern Blood Jesus.

Also enjoyed Mann discussing the actual damage the virus did. ANY mammal with even a trace of the Y chromosome and how it wasn't just as simple as the binary "male" and "female." I know this will probably be addressed later but curious if it will cross into other types of fauna and flora. Some species are rather flexible/adaptable as far as sex and reproduction go but jesus that is far reaching and nasty. Also wonder how long this virus will stick around.

My only worry about this show is if it gets cancelled quick. Boomers will avoid this like the plague unless its to bitch about it on Fox News. I know I've had a few fellow millennial friends that were a bit hesitant mostly related to how the trans issue would be handled. I know I was hesitant to give it a go but I've been happy with it. Last couple of episodes flowed better and a road trip scenario might very much be most people's jams.

Bust Rodd posted:

Food for thought:

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1440208492573331464?s=21

What happens here, in the setting of y: the last man? Population: 38,000,000 people, and NO GOVERNMENT OF ANY KIND, so roughly 19,000,000 just hanging out wondering WTF is going on?

Not to quote you twice but there are more than a few articles about women in Afghanistan over the years - though I hope the ones with actual names are edited or removed. They weren't allowed education but generally they were allowed to be able to read simple things like shopping lists and signs. Really depended more on their husband as you might get a nice one that would help you learn to read more and buy books for you or you could get a husband that decides to kill you if you read that same shopping list/talk back/ get old. There was also the secret book clubs that was rather heartwarming. During that period the Taliban went away women quickly learned to do a million things (the skate park was a bit :unsmith: before recently becoming :smith: ) and would have kept going if the Taliban wasn't back again. Depressing as they were really just starting to taste freedom and then it is taken away yet again. The only silver lining is that women survived this before and will again.

So how does this tie into your question. The Women of Afghanistan will be ok. They (mostly) know how to read and women were the ones who know about who has what and how to get it, how to do base essentials like farm, herd, basic medicine and cook. That might sound like "so what" but that they have the skills to survive which will give them time to learn other things. Also they might have the occasional women who want to keep to tradition but they seem far less likely to burn heretics. Most of them know far too well the poison of religious extremism so my theory is they would turn into a decently tolerant nation.... albeit having to start from almost the ground up and isolated. They are isolated in a region that is not easy to get to or across quickly and that will both protect them and hurt them if the vaccine for the Y virus (forgot the book name) had to be administered by a larger nation.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm confused about today's episode. What was up with the tracker thing in the bag at the end? Do we know why she didn't want to call the president and go to San Francisco without telling her?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
355 has her own agenda and is using the president and her son to do what she wants to do.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I think this episode helped them really hit their stride. Hope this gets enough seasons to tell the story they want to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really, really, really like Dr. Mann.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Yorick needed someone around who was even more of a dick to make him likeable in comparison, and Dr Mann is written perfectly to complete the trio.

Also setting up 355 as having hidden motives in an organization built on hidden motives works way better a motivation than the Amulet MacGuffin in the comics.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This but for every single infrastructure system. Only 11% of construction crews are women and that includes people that work in desk jobs. Who is clearing the highways?

Cops are also around 90% men in the US. Who is enforcing any laws?

The world would completely go packets of roving tribes if all the men died because women just aren't in control by numbers in WAY too many systems out there. I know this is a hot topic for some people (the system being against certain races/sexes), but the show is really putting a light on it at least by you having to question it. The reality is that so many things would start to fail fast that it would be a multi year rebuilding process.

People physically fought over toilet paper when there was NO shortage in real life. What will those people do when there is an actual shortage of supplies (86% of semi truck drivers are men) and no law enforcement? How fast do you think society could refill and retrain those positions while also trying to stop domino effect catastrophes from happening?

I've never read the comic (except for maybe the first one). On the show, I've been liking it so far. Weirdly Yorrick reminds me of Quentin from Magicians. They both start out as whiny failed magicians that you can't stand.

I mean, the show explicitly shows us who enforces the law: the military (on the side of the government) and roving gangs (the opposition). Personally, I think that is a dim view of humanity and we'd see a lot more positive coming together but given that everyone had a loved one die and pretty much everyone saw a bunch of people die violently I'm willing to accept that it broke a lot of brains so people are just going apeshit violent on everything.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

also, we’re seeing the immediate aftereffects. Nobody has been able to settle in, plan, or rebuild. Everyone is in flat-out survival mode, so of course poo poo is going to be extremely weird until people are able to get their heads right- if they can at all. We’ll see, obviously, if people in power (aka armed with weaponry and resources) rediscover their humanity and work with those who don’t have those, or if poo poo continues to rapidly deteriorate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show’s mad boring. Not sure how they managed to suck out all personality from the comic like this but it’s super disappointing. Ashley Romans is the only part I’m really enjoying

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As a student of sociology and a big fan of apocalypse stuff that isn’t all “woo woo zombies!” I’m finding the world-building and the drama to be absolutely engrossing. I think if they stuck closer to the comics I would be bored, but I kind of already don’t know what’s going on so I’m compelled.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Escobarbarian posted:

This show’s mad boring. Not sure how they managed to suck out all personality from the comic like this but it’s super disappointing. Ashley Romans is the only part I’m really enjoying

Yea, this has to be one of the main takeaways for the show through 5 episodes. Something is seriously off with the tone and pacing for 70% of the scenes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chairman Capone posted:

On a somewhat related note, I've seen a lot of reviews of the show seem to be angry at the fact that Yorick is in it at all, like he's taking away from the "real" story.
Well, he and 355 are the least interesting part of the show. It would be much better if Yorick had been discovered, sent off to be studied, and never seen again. Whenever they're on-screen I'm just waiting for it to get back to the interesting stuff happening with the politicians.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bust Rodd posted:

:same:

They really nailed her. I also like that they had her come out as gay early on, rather than drag it out like they did in the comic.

"Do you know that, even if I figure out why you survived, how UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY hosed we still are?" :shepface:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Today's episode is really giving me pause. The acapella part kicked rear end, but everything else felt very "Walking Dead"-like and I'm not down with that.