Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t understand why they took in Hero and her friends but then forced those 4 women to leave. That scene didn’t make any sense because we have no context for why they could just add four more to the horde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t understand why they took in Hero and her friends but then forced those 4 women to leave. That scene didn’t make any sense because we have no context for why they could just add four more to the horde.

They thought Hero was a doctor, but a former EMT is still valuable for basic to moderate triage and she obviously demonstrated the ability to talk her way out of being shot, so she's got some charisma and social skills.

The group begging for food didn't offer anything, and turning them away builds them a rep.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's a really dumb comic injoke in this episode that still made me laugh.

"Where are you going?"
"Sydney. (beat) You know her?"

Guess Beth probably isn't going to Australia then.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
I feel like I am watching The Walking Dead again and that's not a compliment. I initially saw potential in the politics storyline but that has devolved into rather trite melodrama which isn't helped by a conflict that is a bit too close to RL due to the fact that the core of the conflict is just a reflection of underlying ideological differences which would be there with or without men, the conflict isn't rooted in the setting and plays far too much into lazy tropes/stereotypes.
The Yorik side of the story is also doing nothing for me, it's aimless wandering with the standard forced conflict. I'm also not enamored with the worldbuilding, the world feels too small and far too post-apocalyptic. I get that all men died but this doesn't feel like half the population is missing, it feels like at least 99% of all humans dropped dead and we aren't even exploring the consequences across society or how everyone adapts, it's just generic post-apoc scenario without men, big meh.
This isn't helped by the fact that the political side of the story happens in one single place as if the outside world hardly exists. All men disappearing doesn't explain why all the political players sit in the same building all and every day and are so isolated. Besides that it is kind of ridiculous that they are trying to sell a few protesters outside as this big threat.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LinkesAuge posted:

The Yorik side of the story is also doing nothing for me, it's aimless wandering with the standard forced conflict. I'm also not enamored with the worldbuilding, the world feels too small and far too post-apocalyptic. I get that all men died but this doesn't feel like half the population is missing, it feels like at least 99% of all humans dropped dead and we aren't even exploring the consequences across society or how everyone adapts, it's just generic post-apoc scenario without men, big meh.

This is one thing I think the comic did well - we saw a wide range of different ways various communities, from local towns to nations to individual organizations, would deal with all men vanishing, and how it would lead to new ways of doing things, from the economy to government to trade to art and even crime. Some of them were ridiculous (usually intentionally so) but I really liked most of the different ways the new world was shown to develop through the comic. Although this is maybe undercut by the fact that I think the end of the comic showed that the endpoint was a world that politically at least wasn't too different from the pre-plague.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I really don't like how incompetent 355 is being made out to be so soon in the show. I know the better part of a year's supposed to have passed since ~The Deadening~, but even then...

Oh for gently caress's sake. "Beta boy." "God chose him! We need to bring him here to use him to bring back men!" :rolleyes:

I also found it weird that I couldn't remember what Beth looked like because they haven't even bothered to show her face in the past few episodes. Great character building. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 12, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I feel like I’m watching “What if the apocalypse happened the day before the Jan 6th insurrection and President Pelosi thought it would be a good idea to let Boebert and mtg in on policy meetings.”

That’s not a good thing.

Also, I see the comparisons to walking dead but zombies are preferable to chuds.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

I feel like I’m watching “What if the apocalypse happened the day before the Jan 6th insurrection and President Pelosi thought it would be a good idea to let Boebert and mtg in on policy meetings.”

That’s not a good thing.

Also, I see the comparisons to walking dead but zombies are preferable to chuds.

Yeah, they're trying way too hard to be "topical" when the focus should be on making a good show. It feels like something that studio executives forced on the writing team.

And now Hero's a ~freedom fighter~. Great. Wonderful. "Antifa Amazons." SURE, WHY NOT.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 12, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I really don't like how incompetent 355 is being made out to be so soon in the show. I know the better part of a year's supposed to have passed since ~The Deadening~, but even then...

I think it's been about a month. Three weeks between ep 1 and 2, and the rest seems to have unfolded in a relatively short period of time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I realized what is rubbing me the wrong way about the conservative characters. The liberal political characters are speaking more fluidly and naturally because the writers room is essentially just that, a bunch of multicultural liberal women writing for multicultural liberal women.

The conservatives do not speak to each other the way human beings converse, they sound stilted and speak in Tucker Carlson sound bites in a way that seems rote and underbaked. The Dems are characters, the CHUDs are caricatures. That isn’t as compelling as it would be if the CHUDs behaved more like people and less like villains. It just feels like the writers have never actually spoken with a conservative privately in their lives and are writing them how they think they talk.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Someone clearly thinks they're Aaron Sorkin and have too much administrative and creative control to have someone tell them they're very much *not*.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kimberly's descent into religious mania is such a dumb and bad plotline. You can see all the actors playing the conservatives are trying to bring as much depth and humanity to their roles as they can, but it's just, like, no.

Ep 7's trying to make this whole point about gaslighting and emotional abuse, but if every conservative is already circling GOD SENT ME A MAN levels if religious ferver then the entire exercise reads as patronising and ugly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bust Rodd posted:

The conservatives do not speak to each other the way human beings converse, they sound stilted and speak in Tucker Carlson sound bites in a way that seems rote and underbaked. The Dems are characters, the CHUDs are caricatures. That isn’t as compelling as it would be if the CHUDs behaved more like people and less like villains. It just feels like the writers have never actually spoken with a conservative privately in their lives and are writing them how they think they talk.

Well, I mean... have you seen a conservative politician lately? They've gone full "mask off" and that is how they are now. I don't expect any writers room to humanise Nazis.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Jedit posted:

Well, I mean... have you seen a conservative politician lately? They've gone full "mask off" and that is how they are now. I don't expect any writers room to humanise Nazis.

I spend my nights arguing with caricatures who want to infect my children with Covid because masks are evil and there’s an evil Plandemic and something something tyranny. The smart conservatives have gone dark.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

For the last 5 years, one of the most common critiques of the Trump Admin has been “if this were a movie or a TV show, you’d claim it was unrealistic or bad writing to have someone behave so cartoonishly evil and greedy” and Y: the Last Man is proving that for me.

I live in the American South now, a deeply conservative, anti-vaxx red state where everyone hates everything and communism is a swear word. These people are still people, and indeed many of them come off as slow or simple because a lot of Boomer southerners haven’t ever had to work hard or think hard in their entire lives. “Feminism is for liberals!” is how a liberal dem thinks two conservatives would speak to each other, twirling their mustaches as they tighten AOC’s ropes to the train tracks or whatever.

What they’d actually say, in private, is probably closer to “Geeze I can’t believe how many *BOOP* they have here in the White House! This place has gone to poo poo! Someone’s gotta turn this place around! No more little nancies calling the shots!”.

I like the way they handle the VP on her own, she knows what she is trying to do. The Meghan McCain analogue is still too all over the place for me to get a bead on her, but she also has some great moments so far, they really humanized her with the baby stuff.

So yeah I think both characters worked better separately, it was just the scene of them talking to shows me some of the writers have lived their entire lives in a liberal bubble and have never spoken to a conservative in real life. Hell, I lived in Philadelphia for over 10 years and I don’t think I ever had to engage with anyone conservative if I didn’t want to, I spent all my time in the artsy places and neat bars and college parties and poo poo, you never have to deal with them if you don’t want to.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The VP I don’t have any issues with, it is mostly the president’s daughter because she seems to switch between true religious believer and someone complaining about liberal cucks that doesn’t feel connected in a natural way.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Meghan Mccain isn't really a good analogue for the daughter - Sarah Huckabee is better. Mccain is an entitled unlikable supporter of fascists, but she doesn't get that to level at all.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1448007190502121476?s=21

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whatever that was, it's gone.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
probably this

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1448012086169247756

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I think that article is a little unfair to the comic and too kind to the show -- can we really argue that Sam is a central character given the screen time he's had?

And they really should have stuck with Y as a title instead of changing it back to Y: The Last Man if they wanted to avoid gender essentialism.

Edit: actually that article ventures into straight up bullshit at some points. "Transness is never the primary issue" in any of Sam's plots? Sure. I'm sure Roxanne hates him because of that awful beanie he wears.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sam seems like a main character to me because without Sam wouldn’t Hero have just stayed in NY or whatever? He’s the whole reason she’s on the move.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So transitioning removes the y chromosone?

I am ignorant of the process, sorry.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Edit: actually that article ventures into straight up bullshit at some points. "Transness is never the primary issue" in any of Sam's plots? Sure. I'm sure Roxanne hates him because of that awful beanie he wears.

Uh, it's because Sam is a man. Did you miss how much they don't like men?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

Uh, it's because Sam is a man. Did you miss how much they don't like men?

If Roxanne considered Sam to be a man, Sam would already be dead, and as such there's pressure on Sam to detransition or die. To me that reads as if the character's trans status is being used to drive the drama, in contradiction to what the article is trying to claim.

My complaint isn't with the show here, it's with the article trying to claim certain achievements that the show hasn't actually achieved. If I read that article, and then watched the show, I'd be incredibly disappointed by what I saw.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah this. Conservatives are not smart. I'm sure there's a few that are that are just conning the rest, but these are not the best and the brightest. As for the show, everything with our main, 355 and Dr. Mann is really good. Hero is tolerable. Everything else. Blah. I worry about this show getting enough time to actually sort this out, but it's nuts how much there's 1/3 of a fantastic show, and 1/3 of an okay show, and 1/3 of a straight bad show.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

If Roxanne considered Sam to be a man, Sam would already be dead, and as such there's pressure on Sam to detransition or die. To me that reads as if the character's trans status is being used to drive the drama, in contradiction to what the article is trying to claim.

Maybe I missed something but I didn't see any pressure to detransition or that they're going around killing the surviving men. That one woman got her rear end beat because she was horny for Sam and Sam even sort of apologizes for men's reputation, none of which looks like it points to Sam being trans as the issue.

Hero gets several scenes where she's asked to let go of her old life and reinvent herself, like how Athena does ritualistically. Sam doesn't get any of that, they just leave him alone most of the time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

He's very clearly a "threat" to the cultist vibe Roxanne's cultivating, as evidenced by the aforementioned consequences for fraternizing with him.

The problem with Hero is that she still feels "dirty" for killing that dude. She's obviously not enthusiastic about reconnecting with her mother, so the idea of being "washed clean" and "reborn" into a new identity is resonating with her, it just feels like she's too tempted too soon to be wanting to chug the Kool-Aid. I just have a nasty feeling that her inevitable "initiation" will involve killing Sam.

While we're on the subject of Sam, I feel like his cadre leaving him with only a single vial of testosterone was a really dick move.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is the first episode of the show that's actually felt something like the comic, at least the Yorick/355/Allison storyline. Yorick and Allison's interactions especially have been the best part of the last few episodes.

I've seen a few people talk about how the 355 is the only thing they like about the show, but she comes across as really wooden to me. Not sure if it's the actor or how the character is being written.

Kimberly's descent into religious mania is such a dumb and bad plotline.

I kind of disagree, the idea that Meghan McCain starts to think that Yorick is actually a prophet sent by God is at least a more interesting spin than the boring "we need to get the liberals to resign because the plague stole the election from the Republicans" plotline that has been the entirety of her plotline thus far.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I like the description of it being three different shows aimed at three wildly different audiences. The best character (and pretty much the only memorable character) is Dr. Mann. I'm most interested in the politics plot. A nice melodrama about how Republicans are blood gargling psychopaths without bothering to lampshade it is very welcome. The comment about how they should be W-era Republicans doesn't quite make sense to me because that's also how the W-era Republicans acted. They were all about taking out protestors and being misogynistic fundamentalists while nakedly grabbing for power. There is nothing particularly "Trumpian" about these Republicans, they are just acting like Republicans have always acted since Nixon.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. "Beta boy." "God chose him! We need to bring him here to use him to bring back men!" :rolleyes:

If you don't have Far Right / Fascist-Trumpist gun-toting members of your extended family this might seem far fetched, but this reflects a very realistic real world path in the US and nails how Evangelicals would respond in the language they'd use.

Jesus' Final Healing is death. There are plenty of examples online of family members putting on happy faces and saying their unvaxxed, stubborn, bloated-faced fathers are Fighters and still God called them to Heaven.

In what should be considered an Armageddon situation like COVID, Republicans retreat to miracle cures and God's Chosen Plan despite evidence to the contrary.

Death cultists don't make for great television, but they need to be addressed.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

I spend my nights arguing with caricatures who want to infect my children with Covid because masks are evil and there’s an evil Plandemic and something something tyranny. The smart conservatives have gone dark.

MadJackal posted:

If you don't have Far Right / Fascist-Trumpist gun-toting members of your extended family this might seem far fetched, but this reflects a very realistic real world path in the US and nails how Evangelicals would respond in the language they'd use.

Jesus' Final Healing is death. There are plenty of examples online of family members putting on happy faces and saying their unvaxxed, stubborn, bloated-faced fathers are Fighters and still God called them to Heaven.

In what should be considered an Armageddon situation like COVID, Republicans retreat to miracle cures and God's Chosen Plan despite evidence to the contrary.

Death cultists don't make for great television, but they need to be addressed.

Not just America now. I live in the chudiest part of Canada and see and hear these people constantly. Some of these relatives or relatives of friends were always this way though… we just used to laugh at them and say “that’s our uncle Barry - he tells it like it is!” The extra stress has only made them more obvious. When things were going their way they were content to just be racist, homophobic pricks but when things aren’t, like now or an actual apocalypse, these are the first people to start screaming for blood. We could talk about how this is just human nature or whatnot but conservatives have always sucked. If you never had to suffer their BS before it was because they thought you were one of them and you could keep quiet. I know I did as it was easier than deal with abuse or drama. Family values and Jesus were always a cover. For most of human history people have suffered under the rule of tyrants that created rules to keep others under their control so they reap the profits. Terrible people don’t want to change a society they control and can profit from. Conservatives don’t want that to ever change - they just want to make sure they are the ones profiting from it. Screw everyone else.

Sorry to get political a bit but I’ve lived too long being called half breed or fbomb by these people and now they are actively trying to cause more people to die and burn the earth down so they can say fu got mine. Also tired of seeing people get sick and/or die because Jesus commands it! Even the ones that don’t openly give the victory welfare salute or can speak in complete sentences are still genuinely awful, self absorbed people. If they want to stop being called bad then maybe try and be nice to someone that doesn’t reflect their own image or they can profit from. So yeah… kinda glad this show isn’t both sides-ing this. Still agree that this show overall is 1/3 good, 1/3 ok and 1/3 bad but this last episode felt better. Hoping it keeps improving and gets time to finish the story with appropriate gravitas.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 14, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Welp: https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/y-the-last-man-cancelled-by-fx-on-hulu/

No chance in hell it gets picked up anywhere else. Not even Netflix.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not surprising, and while my view of the show is mixed, I would definitely have watched a season 2. It's also very bittersweet given just how long the development hell for this project is that it got axed so early.

Man, I am going to be really depressed if the season/show ends with (comic spoiler) the astronaut reveal tease.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Woof that sucks out loud. Guess all the chatter about giving it time and enjoying the slow burn didn’t work for everyone.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It probably doesn't help that in the time it took for the series to be developed by FX, the network got bought by the company that owns the rival comic book company to the one the show is printed by.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

It probably doesn't help that in the time it took for the series to be developed by FX, the network got bought by the company that owns the rival comic book company to the one the show is printed by.

lmao of course it could end up being that petty

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
For what it’s worth, maybe having a drama about an apocalypse followed by a pseudo insurrection might not have been appropriate for this time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pillowpants posted:

For what it’s worth, maybe having a drama about an apocalypse followed by a pseudo insurrection might not have been appropriate for this time.

This sort of worked in Death Stranding’s favor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pillowpants posted:

The people who would get pissed off by a show accurately depicting Republicans as people who will do anything, legitimate or not, to control the state are already not going to be watching a show about the literal destruction of the patriarchy.