Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

First episode was a little meh, but it's a solid adaptation and I hope they get enough seasons to tell the whole story (even if they have to speed it up and do it in 3 or four seasons). Edit to make sure I contain no spoilers or vagueness about it, just saying I hope they get to do the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh absolutely

She’s killing it. Also, that is literally the move you make there.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

LinkesAuge posted:

I know this has the potential to be kind of controversial but so far the women in this show act TOO much like men in postapocalyptic settings. I don't want to impose any stereotypes but I just don't buy it if a rather average group of women would execute another group of women including a child like it's not even a big deal.
I get that these scenarios are often overdramatized with men too but it feels kind of lazy and somewhat wastes the potential of the whole setting, ie how would a post-apoc world look/work with women instead of men.
There is just a MUCH higher barrier for woman to resort to violence that simply can't be discussed away and could actually lead to very interesting questions and situations that wouldn't just resemble your stereotypical postapoc scenario.
I write this with the caveat that it is a bit early to make a judgement overall but I do hope that the show will have a bit more nuance because currently I see the danger of "write woman just like you'd write men but with less depth and even more stereoptypical" (heroes become more heroic, villains even more villanous, no shades of grey).

Nope.

This is utterly wrong.

When I worked as a bouncer the worst fights I broke up were between women. Saying there is a much higher bar is just stereotypical and sexist BS, and also has a very heteronormative slant that is trash. It is true that society as a whole has tried to repress the violence desires of woman, but as we see with MMA and a bunch of other activities, that's even starting to change. Roller derby is another example of this.

If all the men went poof? 100% poo poo like this would happen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I think this episode helped them really hit their stride. Hope this gets enough seasons to tell the story they want to.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jedit posted:

Well, I mean... have you seen a conservative politician lately? They've gone full "mask off" and that is how they are now. I don't expect any writers room to humanise Nazis.

Yeah this. Conservatives are not smart. I'm sure there's a few that are that are just conning the rest, but these are not the best and the brightest. As for the show, everything with our main, 355 and Dr. Mann is really good. Hero is tolerable. Everything else. Blah. I worry about this show getting enough time to actually sort this out, but it's nuts how much there's 1/3 of a fantastic show, and 1/3 of an okay show, and 1/3 of a straight bad show.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jedit posted:

Some interesting news. Apparently the show was cancelled not because of viewer numbers, but because the pandemic delayed production and FX elected not to extend the cast's options. This has raised speculation that HBO Max might be interested.

it's a perfect fit for Max, who along with Apple + has become the low key most impressive streamers over the last year and a half.

Amazon could have them beat if Wheel of Time and Lord of The rings hit big though. (and god I'm rooting for WOT, since it's so much better than Lord of the rings and way more interesting).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

OnlyBans posted:

What's it like being unable to live close to an elementary school? I've always wondered about the logistics of that.

How is my preference of liking WOT over LOTR (and from a visual perspective one clearly is more cinematic, or has the potential to be) make you think that it earns a poor attempt at a joke about me somehow being a sexual predator, and how is that supposed to be funny?

Like I’m not upset, I’m just confused. Like show your work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

OnlyBans posted:

WOT is a libertarian jerk off fantasy. The only person I ever met who spoke about it in real life became a cop.

I figured if you are loud and proud, you'd have to deal with the consequences. The first Netflix season of Arrested Development made a joke about it and I've wondered ever since how that actually works.

Got it, so you don't know what you're talking about, (because wheel of time is many things, but libertarian jerk off fantasy is like the opposite of what that series is) and still tried to make an ancient outdated joke you stole from the worst season of a once good show somehow? Good job. You're really contributing here.

The latest episode of the show is good! Hopefully this gets picked up somewhere.