Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
reading the old Faithmouse threads and finding my first/second account in the replies

man, my posting was so good back then. what happened to us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

80% of CSPAM posters seem like weepy, depressed, computer janitors with no offline friends who would abandon politics the second a very mild welfare state was implemented in the US so it's nowhere near LF

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Cnidaria posted:

80% of CSPAM posters seem like weepy, depressed, computer janitors with no offline friends who would abandon politics the second a very mild welfare state was implemented in the US so it's nowhere near LF

lol if you think we have jobs

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cnidaria posted:

I don’t think they have online friends either.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

there's like five good threads here and then a bunch of chaff, which is fairly similar to lf

the threads full of insane weirdos fixated on specific personalities are now about people on twitter and podcasters instead of forums posters

those are the first world warlords

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Riot Bimbo posted:

I lurked wddp until users below a certain activity threshold were disabled and never touched rhizzone just bc of how unhinged wddp was at the moment i lost accesss.

Some people are admins and some people are posters and it's rare the two truly intersect in productive ways!!

rhizzone was (and is) actually much less unhinged than wddp

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
What IS LF?!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Cnidaria posted:

lf was the same people but we were all 19 and edgy instead of 30 and sad

Also lf was focused more on smaller threads and actually making jokes and being funny, one thing cspam hosed up with dumb megatheads and self seriousness

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Is C-Spam self serious?

Also, what sort of threads is CSPAM missing? Is it just that you make threads for current events or what? I actually want to know, I wasn't around for the LF.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It doesn't really matter man, just post threads. good ones will find a groove, bad ones will fall off the front page. one of the best lf threads was just look at these weird courtroom sketches of rod Blagojevich

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Zurtilik posted:

Is C-Spam self serious?

Also, what sort of threads is CSPAM missing? Is it just that you make threads for current events or what? I actually want to know, I wasn't around for the LF.

it’s missing threads like the OP explaining how in fact Neon Genesis Evangelion is an exposition on the philosophy of Deleuze and Guattari which is like “haha nice” at first and at the end you realize “my only regret is that it’s all so terribly true”

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zurtilik posted:

What IS LF?!

LF is gone, no copy, no record, nuked off the forums at the behest of the secret service. So LF can be whatever you want it to be.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lf was the same people but we were all 19 and edgy instead of 30 and sad

Also lf was focused more on smaller threads and actually making jokes and being funny, one thing cspam hosed up with dumb megatheads and self seriousness

somehow those 19 year olds come off as less rubes as these earnest 30 year olds

p. sure the SPAM is just a new batch of 19 year olds

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/baby-bishie-bolsheviks/1/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

it’s missing threads like the OP explaining how in fact Neon Genesis Evangelion is an exposition on the philosophy of Deleuze and Guattari which is like “haha nice” at first and at the end you realize “my only regret is that it’s all so terribly true”

KaptainKrunk posted:

ok so watched 3.0+1.0 and it was fine, easily the best of the Rebuilds. It doesn't hit like the original and I don't give a gently caress about canon so I could take it or leave it, but there were good elements. I feel like if I hadn't been invested in the series as a young teen, watched the rebuilds throughout college and my young adult life I might be less interested in it.

thematically it is good but...uncomfortable in light of what's going on in the world. the total irony of a film that's about rejecting and letting go of evangelion, reversing commodification, literally, and breaking cycles of pain through shared sacrifice and understanding in light of covid and global meltdown and the mountains of plastic poo poo this film created. Anno is a multi-millionaire with a hot wife, so this definitely feels very left-libbish. EoE from a marxist perspective was about explicitly courting destruction in the face of psychopathic elite plans, about accepting universal brotherhood through organic means rather than psycho-spiritual capitalist blobbing.

shinji's wish at end of eva is: to let everyone choose if they want to come back and try to rebuild hell world, to go on living with the recognition that things might be in inexorable decline, to accept the possibility of pain in a divided mankind, to reject fusion with the capitalist world-being on human terms

in 3.0+1.0 it's actually insanely selfish: now that you've learned how to operate within the world, just wish away late stage, apocalyptic capitalism and return to less hosed (but ultimately doomed) real world of 2020/2021. Things aren't poo poo because of the Evangelions, you fool

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

guidoanselmi posted:

Sorry, CSPAM is too mentally healthy.
hrmmmm

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

Is C-Spam self serious?

one of my dumb threads that went gold was me just posting a link to watch the running of the olympic torch in like 2008. i think it got stolen in a stampede or something and we just laughed but it happens pretty often

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
LF turned me into a leftist in my 20s, and C-Spam turned me into a sad leftist in my 30s. Excited for continued SA Forums innovation in my 40s!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hidingfromgoro's threads were pretty brutal at the time as well

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
LF felt a lot more angry but I guess it’s because the world seemed like lower stakes then, like the Big Thing was still at arm’s length.

C-SPAM is good but in different ways and more appropriate for living through a time when capital ‘H’ history is happening vs the late 2000’s when it was like drowning in wax or honey, just a slow painful existence of pushing back against something from which you could never quite break away.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

It's really weird because the Iraq War was on TV daily during that era, it was much closer to 9/11 and to 7/7 (remember that?) and stuff like the Madrid train bombings. For people who paid attention to politics it was as exhausting and as pervasive as it is now. Guess the material conditions just never came home until after the recession really hit.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

everyone here is depressed, defeated and doomed. was LF like that?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

CODChimera posted:

everyone here is depressed, defeated and doomed. was LF like that?

no LF had a bunch of Ron Paul goldbugs and then they all trolled themselves into becoming angry Maoists.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was a much more dynamic time because we were young and first coming across pamphlets written a hundred years ago that made us think "wait we can just kill them all?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012