Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

I don't know a ton but I went and saw the Haru Basho in Osaka years ago with some friends. It was a lot of fun. We got the cheapest tickets, but if you get there early (you pretty much have to to get the cheap tickets) you can sit in any open seat until the person who got the tickets for them shows up. People who buy good tickets mostly just show up at the end so we had basically front row seats for the first few hours. A guy I know saw me on TV in the audience and texted to ask if I was there. It was a really fun time.

One of my favorite parts was when there was an upset and the old guys would throw their seat cushions at the ring and the announcer would ask people to not throw their seat cushions, but he just sounded so defeated because he knew those crusty old dudes weren't going to listen to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Lock posted:

I’ve been to a few in Tokyo, and yeah, it’s an awesome experience.

And yeah, love how 1) the tradition to throw the cushions exist and yet 2) they never fail to make that announcement regardless.

(For those wondering, when one of the rank-and-file bottom 30ish of the top group defeats a yokozuna, or the best of the best, those near the ring who could afford The Good Seats have cushions they sit on. Cushions which traditionally get thrown in the air in such a situation.)

I just loved the tone of the announcers voice. He knew nobody was listening, but he had to say it. Like a bus driver on the last bus of the night.

Escape From Noise

frump truck posted:

I did exactly this when I lived in Kyoto and it was the best sporting experience of my life

I really should go again at some point, but like bring a keg next time.