Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hey I heard you guys like liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Salt Fish posted:

How do I delete that person from the Intarwebz?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

How do I delete that person from the Intarwebz?

Press alt+f4.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

As I've posted many times earlier in this thread, I don't think the thing about liberals that upsets me is that they don't want to do anything different. It makes no meaningful difference to the outcome whether they buy a subscription snack box or not. It doesn't really matter if they do or don't individually, since obviously the system as a whole is guaranteed to turn whatever energy they save into bitcoin or whatever, that's just how it's set up.

I think the thing that just flummoxes me is how utterly captured by propaganda these people are that they don't even see the onrushing calamity. History is so ended for them that they look at military defeats, collapsing housing markets, mass homelessness, even millions dead of disease and just go "well that doesn't change anything and nothing will ever change!"

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Salt Fish posted:

an american brain:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stereotype posted:

they probably faked it, or bribed the county official, or it just got rubber stamped by someone who never reads any of the applications. at least in Honolulu the department of planning and permitting is super corrupt and awful. I can’t imagine it’s any different in Puna.
I know that, on Molokai, permits take ages because they're run through Maui County and Maui County doesn't particularly care to get around to Molokai stuff.

so, often, people will just go ahead and do whatever and eat the fines if they get caught about it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Mola Yam posted:

an american brain:

lol like why even bother

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Oldest Man posted:

I think the thing that just flummoxes me is how utterly captured by propaganda these people are that they don't even see the onrushing calamity. History is so ended for them that they look at military defeats, collapsing housing markets, mass homelessness, even millions dead of disease and just go "well that doesn't change anything and nothing will ever change!"

It's also the pathological need to not only defend these systems, but to do so in a way that frames anyone who disagrees with them as a monster.

You don't have to defend the snack company. There's no reason to do that. Even if you like the snack companies and want to buy snacks, you don't need to go to bat for them in some random YouTube video's comments section.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

cash crab posted:

lol like why even bother

im sorry that we destroyed the world, but the alternative was hamburger nightmares.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

It's also the pathological need to not only defend these systems, but to do so in a way that frames anyone who disagrees with them as a monster.

You don't have to defend the snack company. There's no reason to do that. Even if you like the snack companies and want to buy snacks, you don't need to go to bat for them in some random YouTube video's comments section.

I guess history only stays ended if you scream at anyone who acknowledges the continuation of events

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

The Oldest Man posted:

As I've posted many times earlier in this thread, I don't think the thing about liberals that upsets me is that they don't want to do anything different. It makes no meaningful difference to the outcome whether they buy a subscription snack box or not. It doesn't really matter if they do or don't individually, since obviously the system as a whole is guaranteed to turn whatever energy they save into bitcoin or whatever, that's just how it's set up.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Stereotype posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] im sorry that we destroyed the world, but the alternative was hamburger nightmares.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

We are blessed to live in a period where nothing can happen that enables change. The world is set as it was circa 1991, and beside the web and smartphones, everything is the same. Maybe 1999, the peak of our civilisation.

There are NO world events happening or have happened recently that would shake me of this notion.

COVID? Russia invading Ukraine and NATO in disarray? China surpassing the US in GDP PPP? Global temperatures endlessly going up and whole ecosystems vanishing leading to potential famine in the First World? Property insurance becoming impossible to finance? Pollution caused by forever chemicals? Global demographic collapse and net energy decline?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hamburger nightmares is doing real psychic damage to me right now

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Nix Panicus posted:

Hamburger nightmares is doing real psychic damage to me right now

Username.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There is no magic button that trades "no more eating pocky in wisconsin" for global warming beng solved. However, if there was, that guy still wouldn't press it. He won't even let a stranger press a hypothetical button, rhetorically, in a youtube comment. That's how much he likes pocky.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

The Oldest Man posted:

as long as you believe everything is fine then everything is in fact fine :)

besides if anything is really bad then someone is probably dealing with it and it won't be bad anymore

ezpz see you at the company outing

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

We are blessed to live in a period where nothing can happen that enables change. The world is set as it was circa 1991, and beside the web and smartphones, everything is the same. Maybe 1999, the peak of our civilisation.

There are NO world events happening or have happened recently that would shake me of this notion.

COVID? Russia invading Ukraine and NATO in disarray? China surpassing the US in GDP PPP? Global temperatures endlessly going up and whole ecosystems vanishing leading to potential famine in the First World? Property insurance becoming impossible to finance? Pollution caused by forever chemicals? Global demographic collapse and net energy decline?

yeh but don't forget that we have been sharing foods and culture across continents and oceans since the silk road.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

oh hell yeah Kim Stanley Robinson interview on the new Radio Ecoshock

and a blast from the past with Bruce Sterling

mistermojo has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Mar 28, 2024

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Salt Fish posted:

There is no magic button that trades "no more eating pocky in wisconsin" for global warming beng solved.

there is, it’s called a trigger. if everyone pushed it 30 years ago global warming would have been solved

anyways I wonder what the church of euthanasia is up to these days

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

finally got around to l'effondrement and boy howdy is that poo poo good goddamn

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

finally got around to l'effondrement and boy howdy is that poo poo good goddamn

:haibrow:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
where can you watch it online without paying? asking for a friend.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
archive dot org is down at the moment but thats where i watched it

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Ferdinand Bardamu posted:

where can you watch it online without paying? asking for a friend.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/the-collapse

* Have to create a free account tho

BCR has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Mar 28, 2024

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
danke

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Another option is to download qtorrent and go to magnet.dl

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

The Oldest Man posted:

propaganda is as much about giving people permission to adopt comfortable beliefs as it is actually convincing people rhetorically

it makes sense that people react this way, the on rushing calamity is upsetting and terrifying and many people prefer to be told no that won't happen

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Idk about you guys but I felt better about this whole collapse thing once I accepted the Lord into my heart. He’s got my back, maybe not yours, but he’s got mine

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

It is instructive to read Candide to learn what it will take for all these little Panglosses to change their mind.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Soggy Muffin posted:

Idk about you guys but I felt better about this whole collapse thing once I accepted the Lord into my heart. He’s got my back, maybe not yours, but he’s got mine

My God can beat up your God.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BrotherJayne posted:

My God can beat up your God.

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/spelling/

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

You ever play Black & White, the Lionhead game?

My God is the tiger creature in the multi-player session whomping on your lame-rear end cow creature.

Hell yeah

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Black and White was the poo poo. I remember it coming out same time as Tribes 2 and that was when we peaked imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
doom/quake/tribes era really was the best time for fps, everything is slowed down garbo now so you can "appreciate the details". let me glide/strafejump over the map at speed of sound goddammit

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Truga posted:

doom/quake/tribes era really was the best time for fps, everything is slowed down garbo now so you can "appreciate the details". let me glide/strafejump over the map at speed of sound goddammit

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Online fps really are in a weak spot rn and I don’t see it improving anytime soon. Hackers and bots using AI is bound to get even more out of hand. I wonder how well machine learning could get mid air disk shots in Tribes, may be one of few games where it would have trouble predicting where to shoot

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
everything is a dumb rear end 5v5 slow ADS tactical squad shooter thing, counterstrike ruined FPS

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
weather reports are

it has been going between mist/frost and 70/30 which is weirding out the plants some
magnolias bloomed and then got snowed over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i fell down the steps because they were an ice trap like it was home alone but by the morning it looked like it never occurred, just some remelted salt i threw down so i wouldn't accidentally break my rear end smoking