Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Well yeah, the purpose of sand dunes is to be a place where windblown sand particles accumulate, the purpose of a fire is to move a system towards entropy via combustion, the purpose of DNA-based life is to maximize copies of its DNA.

If you mean on like a higher philosophical level, then ok there is no purpose to life, or fire, or sand dunes. But I'm speaking in practicalities of how and why, not spiritual philosophy.

I don’t know what this conversation is but I really like the idea of a sand dune striving to be its best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
biosphere x car hate thread crossover: a taxi driver today caused a big pileup after he fainted at the wheel and crashed into the car in front of him, from heat stroke due to record temperatures

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Hubbert posted:

reminder that capitalism did this

our ancestors would be so proud of what we're doing to fish and insects now

Grag the thunfler
Apr 14, 2024

toggle posted:

dubai is flooding because of cloud seeding :thumbsup:

doesn't seem like it

https://www.wired.com/story/dubai-flooding-uae-cloud-seeding-climate-change/

https://archive.is/4GJKj

Grag the thunfler has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Apr 17, 2024

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

smoobles posted:

it's desert it's supposed to be wet

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Crazycryodude posted:

Not true, human history is full of societies across cultures and continents that exceeded their local ecological limits through a combination of natural climate shifts and human impact, and collapsed/suffered a dieback to sustainable levels in their new ecological conditions. The Bronze Age Collapse in the Fertile Crescent, Angkor Wat, Easter Island, Great Zimbabwe, Cahokia, Harappans, the list goes on and on and on. This isn't some uninformed Reddit nihilism thing, this is the academic consensus among a bunch of very serious anthropologists and paleontologists.

What's different this time is that we're seeing a crossing of ecological limits in the first ever truly global society. Previous societies killed off by ecological boundaries were regionally limited due to smaller populations and less developed technology, now we've grown up enough to kill an entire planet at the same time instead of just different regions of it at staggered times. But this is only a difference in scale, not in kind. Humans have been doing this at least since we invented agriculture - agriculture is inherently a process for redirecting ecological energy and resources towards human ends outside of "natural" cycles after all.

I didn’t read this

mags
May 30, 2008

it’s all capitalisms fault, sorry ecohitlers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i think you're both right

mags
May 30, 2008

if we just kill the rich people we can make the end times much more comfortable

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

mags posted:

if we just kill the rich people we can make the end times much more comfortable

It's really the basic starting point

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRpYtAhGAo
stan rogers sang about finding comfort in history's heroes as you navigate an uncertain life. now you can book a cruise!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Here's the paywall free version: https://archive.is/4GJKj

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Can't believe that capitalism made us hunt all the megafauna to extinction with sharp sticks, how had I never considered the bourgeois character of the neolithic hunter?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Mammoth-skin loincloths were just so much more profitable than the old-fashioned ones woven from reeds, how could we not maximize production with so much demand?

mags
May 30, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Can't believe that capitalism made us hunt all the megafauna to extinction with sharp sticks, how had I never considered the bourgeois character of the neolithic hunter?

the first Hitler eradicated the mammoths

mags
May 30, 2008

kneeling in a ancient ground sloth tunnel in Amazonia wearing a kente cloth

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Crazycryodude posted:

They were libertarians; the state hadn't been invented yet. And they mostly lived outside of cities, so inclined to be right wing.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

We might not have hunted them all to extinction tbf, we may have just been carrying all sorts of interesting new diseases with us and our domestic animals.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

starting at $22,000 lmao

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I see we've just memory holed 1.5 completely

quote:

Climate crisis: average world incomes to drop by nearly a fifth by 2050
Cost of environmental damage will be six times higher than price of limiting global heating to 2C, study finds
Average incomes will fall by almost a fifth within the next 26 years as a result of the climate crisis, according to a study that predicts the costs of damage will be six times higher than the price of limiting global heating to 2C.

Rising temperatures, heavier rainfall and more frequent and intense extreme weather are projected to cause $38tn (£30tn) of destruction each year by mid-century, according to the research, which is the most comprehensive analysis of its type ever undertaken, and whose findings are published in the journal Nature.

The hefty toll – which is far higher than previous estimates – is already locked into the world economy over the coming decades as a result of the enormous emissions that have been pumped into the atmosphere through the burning of gas, oil, coal and trees.
Far Worse Than Expected

4d3d3d has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Apr 17, 2024

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

That's correct.

Your understanding of history and pre-history should be solely defined by Marx and Engels:

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

:smug:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Crazycryodude posted:

Not true, human history is full of societies across cultures and continents that exceeded their local ecological limits through a combination of natural climate shifts and human impact, and collapsed/suffered a dieback to sustainable levels in their new ecological conditions. The Bronze Age Collapse in the Fertile Crescent, Angkor Wat, Easter Island, Great Zimbabwe, Cahokia, Harappans, the list goes on and on and on. This isn't some uninformed Reddit nihilism thing, this is the academic consensus among a bunch of very serious anthropologists and paleontologists.

What's different this time is that we're seeing a crossing of ecological limits in the first ever truly global society. Previous societies killed off by ecological boundaries were regionally limited due to smaller populations and less developed technology, now we've grown up enough to kill an entire planet at the same time instead of just different regions of it at staggered times. But this is only a difference in scale, not in kind. Humans have been doing this at least since we invented agriculture - agriculture is inherently a process for redirecting ecological energy and resources towards human ends outside of "natural" cycles after all.

:hmmyes:

041724_3
Apr 17, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Apr 17, 2024

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Send me eleven hundred dollars you coward

mags
May 30, 2008

the thing that is “different” this time is capitalism which is funny since they wrote that to disagree with me only to agree with me and then dismiss the difference as not being important

farming is fine actually

mags
May 30, 2008

I’m growing food right now lol

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://x.com/gunsnrosesgirl3/status/1780307713592897542

https://x.com/Arif_AT8/status/1780311198157722023

https://x.com/Motabhai012/status/1780310804471906789

incredible content

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

mdemone posted:

War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.

Two years ago we pulled out from Griffin for a last hunt. We ransacked the country. Six weeks. Finally found a herd of eight animals and we killed them and come in. They're gone. Ever one of them that God ever made is gone as if they'd never been at all.

The ragged sparks blew down the wind. The prairie about them lay silent. Beyond the fire it was cold and the night was clear and the stars were falling. The old hunter pulled his blanket about him. I wonder if there's other worlds like this, he said. Or if this is the only one.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mags posted:

the thing that is “different” this time is capitalism which is funny since they wrote that to disagree with me only to agree with me and then dismiss the difference as not being important

farming is fine actually

i think you'll find it was fate thermodynamics rather than capitalism, which is blameless.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the thing thats different this time is its global, he said it right there in the quote you dimwit

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mags posted:

farming is fine actually

Farming makes more humans.

Check. Mate.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Thermodynamics is sinking Dubai and making funny content.

Please, someone make it stop. (After Dubai has become Atlantis.)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

you have to think of the positives, like all this free water

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

crazy idea here: what if it was possible to talk about economics within the context of the natural sciences without being called an Italian fascist

mistermojo posted:

you have to think of the positives, like all this free water

the free gifts of nature, delivered right to your front door

:blessed:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

speaking of which, some forums posters might enjoy this episode of Nate Hagens' The Great Simplification: Episode 108 - Steve Keen: "On the Origins of Energy Blindness”.

You might recognize the name; he's the one who did one of the most popular takedowns of Nordhaus.

quote:

On this episode, economist Steve Keen offers a deep forensic history of why modern economic theory has neglected the role of energy in productivity - and why this “Energy Blindness” is now a major blindspot in how our culture views the present - and the future.  The massive, temporary carbon surplus we’ve extracted over the last few centuries has resulted in an exponential increase in the standard of living for many. This explosion of global economic growth also happened to coincide with the development of all modern economic theories and formulas, leading to a core misunderstanding in the way our economies are powered. How have technology and innovation been used to cover up the role of a growing energy supply in the last century of rising prosperity? In the midst of discussions between value and labor, where does energy really fit into the equation? Where do we go once we understand the true role of energy in our economy - and will we have the ability to reshape economic policies to be in line with our energy realities?

About Steve Keen

Steve Keen is an economist, author of Debunking Economics and The New Economics: A Manifesto. His new book, Rebuilding Economics from the Top Down, will be released in 2024. He is a Research Fellow at the Institute for Strategy, Resilience, and Security at University College in London. Steve was one of the handful of economists to realize that a serious economic crisis was imminent, and to publicly warn of it from as early as December 2005. This, and his pioneering work on modeling debt-deflation, resulted in him winning the Revere Award from the Real World Economics Review.

Edit: Here's the written transcript if you prefer to read.

double edit: he casts unnecessary shade here

quote:

Now, when you read Marx properly, and I think there were three people who have done that, I'm one of them, Rosovsky is another, but most Marxists don't realize that Marx actually had an explanation for how capital can add value or be a source of surplus value in his terms. But I won't get into that here, but that's saying the Marxists don't read Marx properly

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Apr 17, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hubbert posted:

crazy idea here: what if it was possible to talk about economics within the context of the natural sciences without being called an Italian fascist

don't know why that would concern you. we're all fascists here.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

mamma mia ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Farming makes more humans.

Check. Mate.

that’s right losers, farmers gently caress and you can’t do anything about it