Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
growing people in the ground like orcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

mags posted:

growing people in the ground like orcs

Whom do you serve?

ExxonMobil

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mags posted:

that’s right losers, farmers gently caress and you can’t do anything about it

I can watch?

Imma watch.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hubbert posted:

speaking of which, some forums posters might enjoy this episode of Nate Hagens' The Great Simplification: Episode 108 - Steve Keen: "On the Origins of Energy Blindness”.

You might recognize the name; he's the one who did one of the most popular takedowns of Nordhaus.

Edit: Here's the written transcript if you prefer to read.

double edit: he casts unnecessary shade here

Thanks, I'll listen to Steve Keen talk about anything. The guy is switched on.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

starkebn posted:

Thanks, I'll listen to Steve Keen talk about anything. The guy is switched on.

He's a bit dry, but he has fun exploring the topic. He's the second economist I've read that has come to the realization that the Cobb-Douglas function can actually be explained if one actually uses energy instead of "INNOVATION" (the first being Charles Hall, forgive me I am working from memory here).

Also, I laughed when I heard his "epiphany" quote: "Labour without energy is a corpse, and capital without energy is a sculpture."

:buddy:

edit: more on cobb-douglas function

Energy and the Wealth of Nations, Charles A. S. Hall and Kent Klitgaard - Page 58 posted:

Constant returns do exist when output expands proportionately with the increase in all inputs. In 1928 mathematician Charles Cobb and economist Paul Douglas published an article on long-term trends in income distribution. They were most interested in why the distribution of income remained stable, despite momentous changes in industrial structure and the position of the United States in the world economy. However, the paper is most famous for the Cobb Douglas production function.

Q = (aK)^ɑ(L)^1-ɑ

This equation says that the quantity of production (Q) equals the product of capital (K) and labor (L). The Greek letter α represents capital’s share of the income distribution, while the remainder (1 – α) was labor’s share. Cobb and Douglas estimated capital’s share to be 25% of national income, with labor receiving 75%. The fact that the two exponents added to one assured constant returns to scale and the substitutability of resources. Land, which symbolizes all natural resources and which had been used in most previous assessments, was simply left out of the equation, as was energy. Both were subsumed, inappropriately, under the category of capital, as capital, as a productive asset, is essentially useless without energy. But if all inputs are substitutes, the theory implies that society can maintain, and even increase, its level of output in the virtual absence of resources or energy, even were these included explicitly.

This failure of neoclassical economics to include energy in their basic equations of production has bothered many biophysical scientists greatly, including Nobel prize winning chemist Frederick Soddy, anthropologist Leslie White, ecologist Howard Odum and his students Robert Costanza and Charles Hall, physics trained economist Phillip Mirowski, and other economists including Nicolas Georgescu-Roegen.

Nearly a century after the formulation of these neoclassical equations, Cleveland et al. [31] and Reiner Kümmel [32] showed that 90% of productivity increases can be attributed to increases in net energy, that the productivity of labor is principally determined by the energy used to subsidize labors’ muscles, and that capital is important because it is the means of using energy. More explicitly when energy is inserted into Cobb Douglass type functions, it is a far more important determinant of changes in production than is either capital or labor. Why this basic and empirically incontestable concept has escaped incorporation into general economic thinking is astonishing to us and to the distinguished scientists mentioned above.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 03:18 on Apr 18, 2024

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

watching economists stumble into systems thinking always brings a smile to my face

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5al0HmR4to

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hubbert posted:

He's a bit dry, but he has fun exploring the topic. He's the second economist I've read that has come to the realization that the Cobb-Douglas function can actually be explained if one actually uses energy instead of "INNOVATION" (the first being Charles Hall, forgive me I am working from memory here).

Also, I laughed when I heard his "epiphany" quote: "Labour without energy is a corpse, and capital without energy is a sculpture."

:buddy:

edit: more on cobb-douglas function

you should post this in the marxism thread.

Mr. Sharps posted:

watching economists stumble into systems thinking always brings a smile to my face

the liberal mind, once it realizes something is very wrong, feels a profound need to struggle against the ltv until it exhausts all possibilities and begrudgingly accepts it. surely there must be a way to model economic activity that doesn't rest on labor. i've been there.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the problem with trying to apply physics to economics is that you can't complete the chain with our current understanding. you need to do a full reverse reductionism: understand how chemistry emerges from physics, how biology emerges from chemistry, how behavior emerges from biology, and finally how economics emerges from behavior. if you gently caress up or try to skip any step, you end up with italian fascism or technocracy or something silly like that. this is essentially my life's goal, but i would not live to see it realized if I lived to be a hundred.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
economics like like the cat in the box thought experiment from physics. we definitely killed it and hid it in the box but you dont know for sure yet and are pretending like maybe it could be alive.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zodium posted:

the problem with trying to apply physics to economics is that you can't complete the chain with our current understanding. you need to do a full reverse reductionism: understand how chemistry emerges from physics, how biology emerges from chemistry, how behavior emerges from biology, and finally how economics emerges from behavior. if you gently caress up or try to skip any step, you end up with italian fascism or technocracy or something silly like that. this is essentially my life's goal, but i would not live to see it realized if I lived to be a hundred.

whats the philosophers stone of economics

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Oldest Man posted:

liberal democracy

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
economics is stupid. a dumb field full of idiots saying the most asinine and wrong things you’ve ever heard. It also dictates everything in our life.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

cybernetics

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Stereotype posted:

economics like like the cat in the box thought experiment from physics. we definitely killed it and hid it in the box but you dont know for sure yet and are pretending like maybe it could be alive.

wasn’t the point of that metaphor that this is loving stupid and people just took it at face value? seems perfectly economical.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Zodium posted:

Physics is real, economics is fake, full ecoskynetism now. QED

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
actually its really simple money + oil + labor = economy

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

yum

quote:

In Vivo Tissue Distribution of Polystyrene or Mixed Polymer Microspheres and Metabolomic Analysis after Oral Exposure in Mice

In mice that ingested microspheres, we detected polystyrene microspheres in distant tissues including the brain, liver, and kidney. Additionally, we report on the metabolic differences that occurred in the colon, liver, and brain, which showed differential responses that were dependent on concentration and type of microsphere exposure.

edit

pairs nicely

quote:

Microplastics and Nanoplastics in Atheromas and Cardiovascular Events

A total of 304 patients were enrolled in the study, and 257 completed a mean (±SD) follow-up of 33.7±6.9 months. Polyethylene was detected in carotid artery plaque of 150 patients (58.4%), with a mean level of 21.7±24.5 μg per milligram of plaque; 31 patients (12.1%) also had measurable amounts of polyvinyl chloride, with a mean level of 5.2±2.4 μg per milligram of plaque. Electron microscopy revealed visible, jagged-edged foreign particles among plaque macrophages and scattered in the external debris. Radiographic examination showed that some of these particles included chlorine. Patients in whom MNPs were detected within the atheroma were at higher risk for a primary end-point event than those in whom these substances were not detected (hazard ratio, 4.53; 95% confidence interval, 2.00 to 10.27; P<0.001).

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Car Hater posted:

Physics is real, economics is fake, full ecoskynetism now. QED

Oh yeah?

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-why-curve/id1626544463?i=1000652839045

24 minutes in.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

I hate everything so much

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

I Hate This Podcast posted:

The key point is that growth does not come from using ever more finite resources; where it comes from is coming up with new ideas for using those finite resources in ever more productive ways [...] whereas the world of finite materials may be limited, the world - the universe of possible ideas of combining those resources is infinite, effectively.

Hubbert posted:

I hate neoclassical economists I HATE NEOCLAASICAL ECOBONICTS AHHHHHHH

:lmao: forever

here's one neat trick to achieving infinite wealth in a resource-constrained world with a declining rate of profit: rent-seeking lol

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 16:33 on Apr 18, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The economy is Lego, and we just need to build something different with the bricks. Our economists have the job of figuring out how to make the alternate designs on the back of the box to the main one we have the manual for.

Circular economy FTW. No waste at all. Infinite efficiency.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
ya I mean when you think about it microplastics are like lego landmines for your cells

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Infinite growth of the species by producing Cronenbergian monstrosities via microplastics. Many such permutations of humanity, good for Number.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If the reindeer on St Matthews island simply innovated the limited food supply into refined snack products instead of basic bitch twigs and leaves, the economy would have grown and they wouldn't have died off

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXJnSo_-nsk

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lmaoing that we're still talking about limiting warming to 1.5c but overall this lady's video series is based

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

If the reindeer on St Matthews island simply innovated the limited food supply into refined snack products instead of basic bitch twigs and leaves, the economy would have grown and they wouldn't have died off

:hmmyes:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Humanity was just a preliminary step necessary for plastic based life to evolve

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

"I'm worried that having 'climate' in the name of a climate amendment would turn people away from it." -- student in climate rights class

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Microplastics posted:

The podcast speaker has a wonderful analogy- imagine you have a larder with over 300 ingredients: don't fret about depletion, the potential combinations are endless!

Just entirely sidestepping the issue, lmao.

edit: sorry for derailing thread, I just love energy :shobon:

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Apr 18, 2024

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

Nichael posted:

"I'm worried that having 'climate' in the name of a climate amendment would turn people away from it." -- student in climate rights class

yeah you have to make it sound cool, like reducing inflation or improving infrastructure, that's what gets people excited

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Im going to innovate a heat engine with infinitely improving efficiency and no doomer can stop me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hubbert posted:

:lmao: forever

here's one neat trick to achieving infinite wealth in a resource-constrained world with a declining rate of profit: rent-seeking lol

Entropy doesn't exist if you product manage your energy state hard enough

e:

brakeless posted:

Im going to innovate a heat engine with infinitely improving efficiency and no doomer can stop me

gently caress

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

but the combinations are not endless. they are finite and well defined and oh yeah any combination without salt is garbage

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

like seriously can’t believe how dumb these economists are. economics is dunning Kruger: the subject

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Communist Cop posted:

yeah you have to make it sound cool, like reducing inflation or improving infrastructure, that's what gets people excited

All in favor of the BATMAN KICK rear end TITTIES AND BEER Amendment?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

TehSaurus posted:

like seriously can’t believe how dumb these economists are. economics is dunning Kruger: the subject

I was actually about to put the guy's book sample on my Kindle for the first 20 minutes, then he hits with that zinger of "actually, no degrowth, just infinite growth by redefining growth to something dumb." Then I tuned out.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Redefining growth as something dumb is the best way. We will make them accept degrowth by making airplane noises as we fly the spoon to their mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Harold Fjord posted:

Redefining growth as something dumb is the best way. We will make them accept degrowth by making airplane noises as we fly the spoon to their mouth

https://youtu.be/Ak4on5uTaTg?si=Vng2jzkHCOqrSZNd

Redefine city to be flattened ghetto Megacity One for the crypto bros.

The Saudis would do better to just make a replicas 1:1 scale Midgar and Junon. Probably cost less. And they’re already killing the planet by sucking out its life force, so it even fits.