Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

brakeless posted:

Im going to innovate a heat engine with infinitely improving efficiency and no doomer can stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

And that right there is the purpose of life. life maximizes entropy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TehSaurus posted:

And that right there is the purpose of life. life maximizes entropy

no you're thinking of oxidation reactions

life maximizes posting

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

while the words of your post will be lost to time, the entropy created is forever

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TehSaurus posted:

while the words of your post will be lost to time, the entropy created is forever

actually posting is forever, the last thing to exist will be the posts we made along the way https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_information_paradox

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

thought biosphere collapse thread would enjoy this short film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3RsI1ZuaeA

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
St. Matthew's reindeer eatate lichen off of goddamn rocks okay :colbert:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Communist Cop posted:

yeah you have to make it sound cool, like reducing inflation or improving infrastructure, that's what gets people excited

Also, what's funny is the student thought the word "climate" in a Climate Amendment in Delaware would turn off Republicans in our southern-most county. Which is probably true! But what's also true is the Democrats have near super-majorities here so who gives a gently caress???

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nichael posted:

Also, what's funny is the student thought the word "climate" in a Climate Amendment in Delaware would turn off Republicans in our southern-most county. Which is probably true! But what's also true is the Democrats have near super-majorities here so who gives a gently caress???

Look if you tell the factory chicken farm workers that maybe pouring so much chicken poo poo into the waterways is bad, they might not like you. So you should never do anything about that. ever. Even though they personally probably dont care and its just the company owners who are pieces of poo poo.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I dont know where the posts go when I make them but this feels like a forever chemical in my brain

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

thought biosphere collapse thread would enjoy this short film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3RsI1ZuaeA

ty

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

"... it is based on a view of an economy is that what matters is the material world..."

neolib econ is literally a religion

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

No way man infinite growth is totally real because *rips bong* innovation!!!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bitcoin should have been the signal that the economy is completely fake, but then no one paid attention to that so we had to invent NFTs as an even bigger, louder, 50 foot tall blinking neon sign signal that the economy is completely fake

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

fictitious capital ftw

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zodium posted:

fictitious capital ftw

a scribbled ape with a bong and weed eyes but we Innovated It(tm) to burn ten pounds of coal every time it changes hands, growth is decoupled from energy inputs now boys

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Hubbert posted:

The podcast speaker has a wonderful analogy- imagine you have a larder with over 300 ingredients: don't fret about depletion, the potential combinations are endless!

Just entirely sidestepping the issue, lmao.

edit: sorry for derailing thread, I just love energy :shobon:

Really, when you think about it, the elephant in the room just opens up sitting space opportunities like never before.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

MightyBigMinus posted:

many are saying this

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Religions usually have internal consistency, neoclassical economics is really more like a personality cult except instead of a personality it's just a giant pile of money with googly eyes stuck onto it

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Oldest Man posted:

no you're thinking of oxidation reactions

life maximizes posting

Your an oxidation reaction.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

The Oldest Man posted:

Religions usually have internal consistency, neoclassical economics is really more like a personality cult except instead of a personality it's just a giant pile of money with googly eyes stuck onto it

Coincidentally, that's basically how their Nobel "Prize" works.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

MightyBigMinus posted:

"... it is based on a view of an economy is that what matters is the material world..."

"...growth does not come from using... finite resources; ...it comes from... using those finite resources..."

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

hows the climate doing

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

judging by what just happened, it's about to be liberated from humans

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mscuyugan/status/1781163360643682347

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

hows the climate doing

toasty

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

biceps crimes posted:

hows the climate doing

ANOTHER SCORCHER

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There's a bill inching its way through the UK Parliament this year which increases the standard term of extension for a lease on a property from 90 years to 990 years.

I thought this thread might enjoy that little nugget.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

biceps crimes posted:

hows the climate doing

Number go up

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

There's a bill inching its way through the UK Parliament this year which increases the standard term of extension for a lease on a property from 90 years to 990 years.

lol that even 90 years was too optimistic, now we got jokers thinking 990 year leases mean anything.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
You know what, gently caress it

quote:

Most UK dairy farms ignoring pollution rules as manure spews into rivers
Exclusive: 80% of Welsh dairy farms inspected, 69% of English ones, 60% in Scotland and 50% in Northern Ireland breaching regulations

The majority of UK dairy farms are breaking pollution rules, with vast amounts of cow manure being spilled into rivers.

When animal waste enters the river, it causes a buildup of the nutrients found in the effluent, such as nitrates and phosphates. These cause algal blooms, which deplete the waterway of oxygen and block sunlight, choking fish and other aquatic life.

Sixty nine per cent of the 2,475 English dairy farms inspected by the Environment Agency between 2020 and 2021 were in breach of environmental regulations, according to new data released under freedom of information laws.

The problem is prevalent across the UK; in Wales 80% of the 83 dairy farms inspected by Natural Resources Wales between 2020 and 2022 were non-compliant with anti-pollution regulations. In Northern Ireland 50% of the 339 dairy farms inspected by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs between 2020 and 2022 were not compliant, and in Scotland 60% of the 114 dairy farms initially inspected by the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency between 2020 and 2023 were in breach of regulations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Microplastics posted:

that forced a genuine Joker laugh out of me.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/janevandis/status/1781147331070406946

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

how could ancient farmers do this to us

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Reminds me of my early Oxygen Not Included playthroughs where I would run out of fresh water and go into full on pants making GBS threads panic mode

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I turn my tap on and water comes out so this seems like it's not an issue

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I thought California was in beautiful perfect bloom

Nothing to worry about look at all the greenery

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In fact im there right now and its damp and chilly!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
New job opportunities of water trucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just checked, I still have water. Closing this as unreproduceable