Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Woke idiot: stop taking hundreds of flights on your private jet

Brilliant bill gates: im going to biohack cow farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Paradoxish posted:

It's especially funny since we can already just grow meat and that's clearly the superior pie-in-the-sky technological wonder when compared to devoting huge quantities of energy and water to continually slaughtering animals en masse

It still takes huge quantities of energy and water to grow "meat" in a lab. There is absolutely no bioreactor in the world more efficient than a beef cow, and it's energy input is the definition of widely available, and utilizes drier grass land unfit for agriculture

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lmao I was curious about what percentage of the total land area of the lower 48 US states was devoted to meat production and found this

https://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2015/2015/meat_production.html

quote:

Meat production as it stands is incredibly taxing on the environment. 30 percent of the total land area of the world is used in pasture land and in the production of food for animals on a feedlot system.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

It still takes huge quantities of energy and water to grow "meat" in a lab. There is absolutely no bioreactor in the world more efficient than a beef cow, and it's energy input is the definition of widely available, and utilizes drier grass land unfit for agriculture

My point was not that growing meat is a good thing, which I thought was clear by calling it a pie-in-the-sky technological wonder. The point is that we should stop eating beef.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
yeah maybe if we institute unpopular dietary restrictions on ourselves and the public at large then we can squeeze out a little more industrial emissions

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Woke idiot: stop taking hundreds of flights on your private jet

Brilliant bill gates: im going to biohack cow farts

he is going to invest in a flashy but hollow moonshot startup that biohacks cow farts and their goal is actually just to patent the process so they can parasitically leech off of anyone who actually wants to use it to reduce cow fart emissions, which is pointless anyway

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

yeah maybe if we institute unpopular dietary restrictions on ourselves and the public at large then we can squeeze out a little more industrial emissions

estimates of global emissions solely from food production range from ~25% - ~35%, though the higher number that I'm looking at right now includes emissions from non-food agriculture(i.e. cotton).

Don't get me wrong I eat a lot of meat, but society should be looking at these unpopular dietary restrictions in addition to cutting industrial emissions because otherwise we won't be able to take obvious bait anymore

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I assure you that as famine and poverty sweep the land this part of the problem will solve itself. I almost never eat meat anymore, can't afford it.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

estimates of global emissions solely from food production range from ~25% - ~35%, though the higher number that I'm looking at right now includes emissions from non-food agriculture(i.e. cotton).

Don't get me wrong I eat a lot of meat, but society should be looking at these unpopular dietary restrictions in addition to cutting industrial emissions because otherwise we won't be able to take obvious bait anymore

Given that Azerbaijan, the host for COP29, basically went "LOL no" about doing anything with fossil fuels and the US, France, etc. are talking from both sides of their mouths as to their 'desire' to actually do anything, I don't think any token gesture that is done will actually affect the end game given that the capitalist death drive to destroy the earth to get resources that will further destroy it isn't going to stop.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Imagine a biospherical cow ...

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Horseshoe theory posted:

Given that Azerbaijan, the host for COP29, basically went "LOL no" about doing anything with fossil fuels and the US, France, etc. are talking from both sides of their mouths as to their 'desire' to actually do anything, I don't think any token gesture that is done will actually affect the end game given that the capitalist death drive to destroy the earth to get resources that will further destroy it isn't going to stop.

oh for sure. The US is a petrostate and we've clearly seen irt Ukraine/Russia that it's allies are willing to devastate their economies for the sake of American prestige. What more are they willing to give for the sake of American economic interests?

lmao thinking about how Yellen just told off Japan for thinking about selling some of it's US bond holdings. Owns

e:

Hubbert posted:

:emptyquote:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

TeenageArchipelago posted:

unpopular doesn't mean wrong. bring back the lean, shredded humans, please.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Rauros posted:

unpopular doesn't mean wrong. bring back the lean, shredded humans, please.

you'll have to look outside of the US for lean humans

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Have we tried putting all the excess greenhouse gasses on a rocket and sending it to space?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Will these clean cows require less or more former rainforest grazing pastures?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I think we should ban meat for no reason other than I want to see everyone get super turbo mad about it. The content is the point

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Meat, cars, planes, excessive power consumption, profit...

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Good thinking do them all at once maybe? Or one at a time to extract maximum rage per-item. Last of all ban posting so people have to get creative

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hubbert posted:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I want to sabotage the cow genes to fart more. Maybe even constant

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Hubbert posted:

If they can't fart that's what they will be

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
we dont need to do anything because humans cant hurt a planet idiots

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sounds like we could have more cows with the newer versions of cow, with the same total emissions as now.. :marc:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

toggle posted:

how have you been faring through all this?

I personally am lucky enough to have a job that lets me stay indoors; it's punishingly hot when I go out, but those are times that I consciously decide to do that to myself, so I can't complain too much in that regard. It does make it more difficult/risky to commute via bicycle, as I try to do nowadays as often as I can

our schools keep cancelling classes or declaring a shift to distance-learning. It's probably as bad as it was during late 2020/early 2021 in terms of how few people are attending classes face-to-face; not that I am complaining, making sure students don't die of heat stroke is more important

our power grid is also feeling the strain from electrical consumption shooting way up as people try to stay cool

our water table is also reaching critical levels of dryness

the full effects on agriculture are not quite latent yet, but I expect that it's going to manifest later in the year, and especially when La Niña hits and the extremely dry ground then gets hit back-to-back with record pounding typhoons and torrential rains

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ashes to ashes
mud to mud

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
how have you been farting through all this?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

maxwellhill posted:

Like a cow: excessively

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

for every cowfart you biohack away i'll eat more beans and fart three times harder

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

maxwellhill posted:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

instead of trying to make cows fart less we should work on making billionaires breathe less (actionable)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hubbert posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's so goddamn loving warm even in the evenings because Manila is a giant concrete slab and so all the heat just gets soaked-up over the course of the day and is still radiating at night

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.journalofdairyscience.org/article/S0022-0302(15)00334-3/fulltext

people have been looking into the problem of cattle methane for a long time! they've even worked out models of how you could adjust cattle feed to reduce emissions, and how much it would change their feed budget. This paper found that for a 20% increase in daily dietary cost you could get about a 20% drop in emissions.

but no, don't spend more on feed that doesn't produce as much methane, and definitely don't change our dairy or meat consumption habits. clearly the right move is to spend fucktons of electricity and money to have an AI design an enzyme or pick a bacterial species to supplement their feed with.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

people have been looking into the problem of cattle methane for a long time! they've even worked out models of how you could adjust cattle feed to reduce emissions, and how much it would change their feed budget. This paper found that for a 20% increase in daily dietary cost you could get about a 20% drop in emissions.

but no, don't spend more on feed that doesn't produce as much methane, and definitely don't change our dairy or meat consumption habits. clearly the right move is to spend fucktons of electricity and money to have an AI design an enzyme or pick a bacterial species to supplement their feed with.

you simply don't understand number.

20% feed cost increase: overhead, reduced profit, no moonshot, bad
ai datacenters burning a mountain of coal to produce unusable garbage: unicorn growth, billion dollar valuations, massive upside, smart money getting in now, don't get left behind

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Oldest Man posted:

you simply don't understand number.

20% feed cost increase: overhead, reduced profit, no moonshot, bad
ai datacenters burning a mountain of coal to produce unusable garbage: unicorn growth, billion dollar valuations, massive upside, smart money getting in now, don't get left behind

Haven't you read things on the internet and in scifi? AI just means god. Decades of fictional depictions can't be wrong. Of course you want to be in on the ground floor of god.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Car Hater posted:

Meat, cars, planes, excessive power consumption, profit...

…even our faces will be irrelevant. The world that The Boss envisioned will finally become a reality, and it will make mankind whole again.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Complications posted:

Haven't you read things on the internet and in scifi? AI just means god. Decades of fictional depictions can't be wrong. Of course you want to be in on the ground floor of god.

God? I wish. That were me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

the cool thing about a 20% increase to feed cost is that the increased cost for consumers would lead to a decrease in beef/dairy consumption, but that's unamerican