Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bag em and tag em posted:

Don't be such doomers! If we band together as a society and stop all carbon emissions right now we can still mitigate the worst of the effects of climate change and save our civilization!

*Does not one solitary thing to reduce emissions*

*Approves record number of pipelines*

i think my favorite thing about this particular issue is that it's one of the few times where the better action from a climate perspective is the easiest of the two: you don't approve anything. you literally do nothing

but even then that's just too much of a challenge. if you see this and still believe that anything meaningful is going to be done, futile as it may be at this point, then you're a loving imbecile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

wtf gently caress you guys I did this months ago

drat, yours is way better you should make the earth less of a dead husk and more of a red hot dead husk :shobon:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cup Runneth Over posted:

wtf gently caress you guys I did this months ago

well yeah but yours seems less on fire, and, well, it's been a couple of months since then so we need to update things to reflect new projections

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I wanted to post this since it seemed to me in the same category as A Full Life and what do you know, also by Paolo Bacigalupi: The People of Sand and Slag

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

just use venus, or should i say venus 2

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Fossil fuel firms sue governments across the world for £13bn as climate policies threaten profits

quote:

Fossil fuel companies are suing governments across the world for more than $18bn (£13bn) after action against climate change has threatened their profits, according to research conducted by campaign group Global Justice Now and provided exclusively to Sky News.

Five energy companies, including British companies Rockhopper and Ascent, are using a legal process that allows commercial entities to sue governments under international laws governing trade agreements and treaties.

These corporate arbitration courts operate outside of a country's domestic legal system.

According to Global Justice Now, which has collated publicly available information, five of the largest lawsuits under way are being brought by TC Energy, RWE, Uniper, Rockhopper and Ascent Resources.

The $18bn they are collectively suing for is almost a quarter of the entire climate funding provided by developed nations for developing ones, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation & Development's (OECD) most recent assessment.

Rockhopper is currently suing the Italian government for $325m (£234.8m) in a dispute related to a ban on offshore oil drilling close to the coastline.

Ascent is asking for $118m (£163.3m) from Slovenia after it passed legislation requiring environmental assessments for fracking.

Canada based TC Energy, the company behind the controversial Keystone XL pipeline, is suing the US government for $15bn (£10.9bn) after the Biden administration cancelled the project, citing the fight against climate change.

Meanwhile German companies RWE and Uniper are suing the Dutch government for $1.6bn (£1.16bn) and $1.06bn (£768m) each following the Dutch government's move to phase out coal and shut down coal-fired power plants by 2030.

The majority of the cases are being brought under the Energy Charter Treaty, and are being hosted within the International Centre for The Settlement of Investment Disputes, a branch of the World Bank.

The Energy Charter Treaty was created after the end of the Cold War and was designed to provide a stable, transparent legal framework that protected foreign investors as energy markets opened up.

Global Justice Now trade campaigner Jean Blaylock told Sky News: "Fossil fuel companies should be paying to fix the climate crisis they caused, but instead they want a payout.

"They're suing governments who take climate action through secretive corporate courts, massively increasing the cost of climate action".

She added: "These courts are built into trade deals and operate outside of and supersede domestic courts and legal systems. That means a country that passes meaningful legislation to phase out fossil fuels could face a multi-billion dollar fine, despite acting entirely legally. It's utterly undemocratic.

"These cases are only becoming more common as governments commit to climate action. World leaders may finally be waking up to the threat of the climate and ecological crisis, but fossil fuel companies are holding them to ransom, demanding ever-greater pay-outs through corporate courts.

"When world leaders gather in Glasgow, they'll make lofty promises on climate action, but it will all be for nought if fossil fuel companies can sue governments into a state of climate paralysis. It could make a mockery of pledges at COP26."

Global Justice Now campaigners say that the UK is a hub for the international arbitration system and that all, but two of the top 30 law firms, involved in the lucrative industry have offices in London.

Protestors are planning to gather outside these law and energy firms on Friday.

A spokesperson for Rockhopper told Sky News: "The Energy Charter Treaty is designed to provide a stable platform for energy sector investments. The Italian government issued licences and encouraged significant investment in oil and gas exploration, based on this platform.

"Clearly it is not equitable to change the rules halfway through. It is also important to note that those rule changes made by the Italian government were not related to climate change and that Italy continues to produce significant quantities of oil and gas within 12 miles of the coast."

A spokesperson for German company RWE said: "RWE is not suing the Dutch government for deciding to phase out coal. We expressly support the energy transition in the Netherlands and associated measures to reduce carbon emissions.

"[But] the Dutch law does not provide for the resulting disruption to the property of affected companies. We do not consider this right."

"RWE has therefore filed a request for arbitration against the Netherlands at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes [ICSID] in Washington under the Energy Charter Treaty."

A spokesperson for Ascent Resources told Sky News: "Slovenia's Ministry of Health, Ministry of Infrastructure, the Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation, the Forestry Institute of the Republic of Slovenia, the Chemical Office of the Republic of Slovenia and the Conservation Institute of the Republic of Slovenia all concluded that an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) was not required.

"The ARSO [Slovenian Environment Agency] decision was therefore not based on the recommendations of Slovenia's own experts and, furthermore, it contradicted the opinions they gave.

"It is therefore manifestly arbitrary and unreasonable."

A spokesperson for Uniper said: "The Dutch government has announced its intention to shut down the last coal-fired power plants by 2030 without compensation.

"Uniper is convinced that shutting down our power plant in Maasvlakte after only 15 years of operation would be unlawful without adequate compensation.

"International law provides a different standard of investment protection open to investors from other countries in international courts. The international tribunal is appointed by both parties, i.e. the Dutch state and Uniper.

"We are convinced that such an international tribunal will also form an objective opinion."

TC Energy said that it was unable to comment further on a legal matter.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cold on a Cob posted:

drat, yours is way better you should make the earth less of a dead husk and more of a red hot dead husk :shobon:

the skull isn't like that in the original but fine

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the skull isn't like that in the original but fine

:sickos:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Caseman posted:

Something like this? I don't understand any of that at all, but nothing in that seems to say "and then a bunch of people make a lot of money" so. Scifi speculation from the Star Trek universe.

hey cool i knew one of these people

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Dreylad posted:

I wanted to post this since it seemed to me in the same category as A Full Life and what do you know, also by Paolo Bacigalupi: The People of Sand and Slag

holy crap i read this decades ago and never connected that it was same guy as the water knife

funny how optimistic it reads from just a little further in the century

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
fukkin doublepost

editing in some content: Climate migration is already happening — for homeowners who can afford it

quote:

Nearly half of Americans who plan to move in the next year say natural disasters and extreme temperatures factored into their decision to relocate, according to an April survey conducted by real estate brokerage firm Redfin.

Last month, the United Nations’ climate panel delivered a dire report calling for immediate action. The agency warned that limiting global warming to close to 1.5 degrees Celsius or even 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels “will be beyond reach” in the next two decades without rapid and large-scale reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. The report said that at 2 degrees Celsius, heat extremes would often reach critical tolerance thresholds for agriculture and health.

Wakko has issued a correction as of 21:52 on Sep 16, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wakko posted:

holy crap i read this decades ago and never connected that it was same guy as the water knife

funny how optimistic it reads from just a little further in the century

to be honest these sort of bladerunner 2049 type futures where we have adapted to the climate but our economic and political systems persist like a shambling corpse with every person directed by force to keep things operating seems like a much worse outcome than the real doomer stuff.

the idea that we could go through an apocalyptic climate crisis and nothing loving changes at all just seems like a nightmare tbh

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Dreylad posted:

to be honest these sort of bladerunner 2049 type futures where we have adapted to the climate but our economic and political systems persist like a shambling corpse with every person directed by force to keep things operating seems like a much worse outcome than the real doomer stuff.

the idea that we could go through an apocalyptic climate crisis and nothing loving changes at all just seems like a nightmare tbh

it really is easier to imagine the end of the world than an end to capitalism

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

vyelkin posted:

good vibes only itt

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

this is one of those little quirks of modern life that I just can't internalize no matter how often I see it come up and how much sense it makes, in the context of hellworld

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

actionjackson posted:

has anyone here besides me actually lived in a dome

I lived in a dome home for a couple years, all I can say is triangle windows bitch

I lived in a dome when I was a teenager. It was pretty chill. We did keel haul a kid over the roof one time tho.

Didn't have triangle windows as it was just a fibreglass shell rather than a geodesic dome. Went through one typhoon while living there and never felt so nonchalant about 100mph winds According to the manufacturer it could handle serious flooding for days bc the doors sealed really well. It's about 1 foot above sea level tho so I guess they'll get to find out soon enough.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Hbomberguy was wrong, there's more buyers than just Aquaman.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
new thread, same ol disaster and calamity

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I lived in a dome when I was a teenager. It was pretty chill. We did keel haul a kid over the roof one time tho.

i guess a pirate ship kind of looks like an upside-down dome if you squint, but i wouldn't go so far as to call the keel a "roof"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Good new OP thx Rime

Was thinking about Centralia PA today - the town that had to be abandoned due to a 50+ year coal fire raging under it.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/centralia-graffiti-highway-buried

They finally started covering up the roads in the last few years.

I feel like the whole thing is a good speed run to our climate ruin and eventually the last of us will cover up our failures if we had the strength

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
now i'm caught up on climate science, i now know that we're at the part where the titanic is starting to raise up into the air but has not yet snapped in half as a species

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Legend

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Alobar posted:

now i'm caught up on climate science, i now know that we're at the part where the titanic is starting to raise up into the air but has not yet snapped in half as a species

We're at the part where people are falling onto the propeller in the movie and everyone starts laughing

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Mayor Dave posted:

lmao which one of you bought this banner ad:

leading to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjWOCdony4
lol

silicone thrills posted:

We're at the part where people are falling onto the propeller in the movie and everyone starts laughing
lmao

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

any factories getting bombed or…?

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

:unsmith: i like swimming....i like the water....i like...swimming....

https://tacocat.bandcamp.com/track/dry-land-is-a-myth

from the youtube "I ain't loving watching a multi-hour video about how doomed I am. Never clicking a banner ad again." lol @ goons outside of cspam

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mayor Dave posted:

leading to

Whomever did this masterstroke please PM me so I can sue you for plagiarism. :colbert:

But no, seriously, all those goons who wanted me to do a podcast should just listen to this because there is absolutely no way I could do it better and it says everything I have to say. :cheers:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

only good vibes itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66CP-pq7Cx0

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hello I love the climate thread

shame about the climate

the mushrooms will have a good time in the end

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mayor Dave posted:

leading to

this guy lost all his friends because he can't stop posting climate change news

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

leading to

Seriously, which poster is this? They deserve IK status for this thread or something.

Lmao at helicopters being a green tech.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bobmarleysghost posted:

i made sure to separate the different types of plastics in the recycle bin. just doing my part!

lol my so gets so mad when i just throw plastic poo poo in the garbage

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
oh. is this the new climate change thread?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Basic Poster posted:

oh. is this the new climate change thread?

no this is the climate's changed thread

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

in a couple of months i turn 30. just before that, i will fulfill an appointment with my urologist to get a vasectomy. feels good man. my only concern is that i'll be one of the 1% who develop chronic ball pains

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ps:

Communist Thoughts posted:

start bombing factories

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1438548266996715525

quote:

Mr. Biollo understood that the lanternfly is a problem for many reasons, but mostly because it zealously feeds on the sap of more than 70 plant species, leaving them susceptible to disease and destruction from other natural antagonists, threatening to set back the fight against climate change. In Pennsylvania, the issue is taken so seriously that the state issued a Spotted Lanternfly Order of Quarantine and Treatment, which imposes fines and even potential criminal penalties on anyone who intentionally moves the bug, at any stage of its life, from one sort of location to another via “recreational vehicles, tractors, mowers, grills” as well as “tarps, mobile homes, tile, stone, deck boards” or “fire pits.”

The insects hop and fly only short distances, but they move with ease and reproduce maniacally. “They can hitch a ride on a baseball cap in the back of your car,” Ronnit Bendavid-Val, the director of horticulture at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, told me. “I can’t think of something they don’t lay their eggs on — cloth, metal, furniture, sides of buildings and of course trees.” There are no natural predators that go after them, no organic pesticides to shut down their operation, so “if you see one, “squish it,” Ms. Bendavid-Val said, “that’s the message.”

This is fine

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

God Hole posted:

in a couple of months i turn 30. just before that, i will fulfill an appointment with my urologist to get a vasectomy. feels good man. my only concern is that i'll be one of the 1% who develop chronic ball pains

I don't even want kids that badly, my GF would have difficulties with pregnancy anyway and is on board with a vsec.

Still feel weird about doing it. My junk is a loaded gun and I know it, there's no logical reason not to, but still. It's "reversible", but it feels so final.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Mayor Dave posted:

it really is easier to imagine the end of the world than an end to capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

can we eat them?