Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Taima posted:

Word. Something that I specifically think about a lot is Hurricane Otis going from a tropical storm to Cat 5 in in roughly 24 hours before directly plowing into Mexico last October.

That is absolutely hosed. You cannot effectively guard against something like that. How do you even conduct hurricane preparedness if this is what the future holds?

:sludgepal:

slash funding for flooding and storm mitigation and blame the victims of a natural disaster for not preparing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sanlav posted:

As a young capitalist i really didn't get punk music. I dated this girl in my early 20's who had spent her teens going to dropkick and rancid shows and couldn't parse it yet when she brought me to a few. I thought it was pretentious rambling, disconnected from my material reality where choices dictate our fates. Definitely missed the boat on Mai, but punk is the haven of anti capitalist history in the end of history.

Having now lived through many of my most beloved spaces get cored out gutted ruined and turned into things i despise, It speaks to me in a prophetic sage way. It's unrestrained noise and grating crescendo's fit the mood.

Don't sell out!

Irreducible is the word for today
Plastic compounds and nuclear waste
What the hell's the matter with the people on this planet, have we all gone insane?
The stigma of industrial progress killing us over and over again
It's one part per trillion, unacceptable
One part per billion, unacceptable
One part per million, unacceptable
This mammoth pogrom set upon us courtesy of the USA
Inexcusable are the men before our time
I'd like to kick their rear end for what they left behind
Cancer-causing chemicals, ozone-depleting aerosols, we're all gonna fry
So put your head between your legs and kiss your rear end goodbye
One part per trillion, unacceptable
One part per million
One part per million
Unac-loving-ceptable (one part per million)
One part per million
One part per million
One part per million

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You're obsesssed and distressed 'cause you can't make any sense
Of the ludicrous nonsense and incipient senescence
That will deem your common sense useless
This aint no recess!
I want to believe in you, but my plan keeps falling through
I know I have to face the harshness, grin and bear the truth
And I have to walk this mile in my own shoes (and I'm no fool)
I'm materialist
A full-blown realist
I guess I'm full of doubt
So I'm prone to have it out with you
I'm materialist
There ain't no fear in this
It's there for all to see
So don't talk of hidden mystery with me

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Taima posted:

idk if this is just me but as things have gotten very obviously bad, people are switching their take from "climate change isn't real and/or a big deal" to "why are you saying mean things so much, it's a bummer"

not sure where I'm going with this, just something that I notice a lot :shrug: you really can't win with people. The last humans on the last life raft in the last acidified ocean will die arguing about if climate change is real lol

funny thing is for me, with the exception of one, it’s only my male friends that couldn’t grow the gently caress up and face facts and would struggle to see how it’s important for me to talk about this in realistic terms. they tend to respond to conversations about it as if realistic outlooks are couched in a hysterical mindset as opposed to a very apparent frustration at the psychological damage caused by being constantly shutdown by toxic positivity and “the new denialism”

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Mar 29, 2024

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
HEY BABE WAKE UP

NEW HANSEN E-MAIL JUST DROPPED

Global Warming Acceleration: Hope vs Hopium - 29 March 2024 - James Hansen, Makiko Sato, Pushker Kharecha

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

mags posted:

slash funding for flooding and storm mitigation and blame the victims of a natural disaster for not preparing

don't forget to cancel their home insurance policies

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Taima posted:

How do you even conduct hurricane preparedness if this is what the future holds?

you drop three Chris Kyle’s on the astrodome and put them to work, what other preparation do you need?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ignore_Me posted:

you drop three Chris Kyle’s on the astrodome and put them to work, what other preparation do you need?

*Chrises Kyle

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Spaced God posted:

*Chrises Kyle

Ruth’s Chrises Kyle: Now with three extra snipers atop the spinning restaurant

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hubbert posted:

what is the most biosphere collapse video game
Outer Wilds. Everything is dying, we can’t stop it, so have fun with your friends while you can and make your peace with the end.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
all of the games you guys have mentioned are non political shut the gently caress up losers

mags
May 30, 2008

Ignore_Me posted:

all games are political shut the gently caress up losers

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
looks fine, i don't know what you're worried about

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

HELLO CLEVELAND!

WE ARE.....WEST ANTARCTIC ICE SHEET COLLAPSE

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

absent the creative yellow cone there it still does look like its close to the linear fit, just with wider variability/oscillation as there's more energy in the system

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

CGI Stardust posted:

someone put this in a Disco Stu meme

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Hubbert posted:

Eve Online
Corporations wage war for resources and destroy entire moons and civilizations to make number go up for a handful of robber barons.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Hubbert posted:

nethack, because you can genocide all living creatures in the game and then starve to death while having all the gold in the world sitting uselessly in your bag of holding

mags
May 30, 2008

Gravid Topiary posted:

nethack, because you can genocide all living creatures in the game and then starve to death while having all the gold in the world sitting uselessly in your bag of holding

is there a walkthrough to achieve this ending

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

frozenphil posted:

Eve Online
Corporations wage war for resources and destroy entire moons and civilizations to make number go up for a handful of robber barons.

Dune but without the FTL wormgrubs

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

mags posted:

*trying to outsmart me*

fallout is apolitical and has no themes and the Amazon showrunners clearly agree with me so ha nice try

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

CGI Stardust posted:

love me some acausal warming

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

how’s the graph today?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

CGI Stardust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=354zVBILYPM

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Hubbert posted:

Minecraft with one of those "every-mod" packs. Just destroying everything in render distance to build a fusion reactor so that you can store the blocks that you tore up.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tiger Crazy posted:

Everyone in this thread is wrong it is Command and Conquer Tiberian sun. You have a fascist group and neo liberals fighting over Tiberium (oil)during an ecological collapse caused by the Tiberium.

I always got a frisson when ion storms happened and comparing the world in Tiberian Dawn to Tiberian Sun where things clearly fell apart globally.

Anyway, it’s DEFCON, because the existential dread it evokes.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Sanlav posted:

If you can't accept technology as Jesus, there's a certain kind of person who thinks you are hopelessly naive for worrying about anything. Smart people are working on the problem and you should go consume.

I love this one, because it’s invariably “look at your smartphone and tell me you don’t believe” as if this one facet, semiconductor miniaturisation, applies to anything else.

https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2015/09/you-call-this-progress/

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

toggle posted:

how’s the graph today?

Killing it!

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I love this one, because it’s invariably “look at your smartphone and tell me you don’t believe” as if this one facet, semiconductor miniaturisation, applies to anything else.

the CES keynote for the rabbit r1 was pretty amazing for this.

“we stacked an awful smartphone on top of your awful smartphone so that you don’t have to use your awful smartphone. oneclick ordering Pizza Hut via AI is the future. why are you laughing at me I’m right”

but the audience never laughs because it’s always made up of silicon suckers who will dump endless cash into anything so long as it promises to make them rich, regardless of whether or not the product is essentially landfill bait and they’re only paying for the privilege to accelerate our demise.

tech bros are the only true accelerationists because they have the capital to finance such a philosophy. they should go green by cutting out the middle man and giving these startups their money for free, no strings attached

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Mar 30, 2024

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Taima posted:

Word. Something that I specifically think about a lot is Hurricane Otis going from a tropical storm to Cat 5 in in roughly 24 hours before directly plowing into Mexico last October.

That is absolutely hosed. You cannot effectively guard against something like that. How do you even conduct hurricane preparedness if this is what the future holds?

:sludgepal:

I remember posting a few years ago that I'd know we were hosed when the ocean would spin up Cat 1's or 2's from nothing a day prior to landfall. From basically zero to Cat 5 in a day surpassed all my expectations.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Complications posted:

surpassed all my expectations.

You poor fool. Remember your mantra and say it with me now. Always more and always worse.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Fell Mood posted:

You poor fool. Remember your mantra and say it with me now. Always more and always worse.

the r/collapse Reddit people use “faster than expected” to parody the doublespeak that often appears in headlines.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Fell Mood posted:

I know! It's so exciting. We're about to learn more about the climate and Earth's extinction cycle than our ancestors would've ever dreamed of even a couple of centuries ago.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Complications posted:

I know! It's so exciting. We're about to learn more about the climate and Earth's extinction cycle than our ancestors would've ever dreamed of even a couple of centuries ago.

did your ancestors not have dark souls III? were they stupid?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The future's gonna be record mild

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

graphs can't start going backwards. doesn't make sense

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Slider posted:

graphs can't start going backwards. doesn't make sense

lol they can't make time flow in reverse