Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's so goddamn loving warm even in the evenings because Manila is a giant concrete slab and so all the heat just gets soaked-up over the course of the day and is still radiating at night

Thankfully, the vast majority of economic activity takes place indoors ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
climate news, where its been raining for a month plus https://apnews.com/article/kenya-flooding-dam-6976f1aae4a8cd31a2f4ebae4f0c7f32

https://apnews.com/article/east-africa-flooding-burundi-appeal-lake-tanganyika-b83fbf6ca05533425e7725ffb22e78cd

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

move that water from Kenya to Arizona

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
the blockchain can do it. kind of surprised no one's thought of this yet.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

there are four cowspheres on the side of a cliff

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Earth has four cows simultaneously each field. You erroneously measure cows from one corner. Earth fields 4 corner cows equals 16 leg mobility. Your ignorance of Harmonic Cow is demonic. Truth note: Earth has 1 field even if it stood still... and 4 cows in one field. $1,000.00 to anyone who can disprove the Harmonic Cow.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

smoobles posted:

move that water from Kenya to Arizona

why does arizona get the water???

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

TeenageArchipelago posted:

the cool thing about a 20% increase to feed cost is that the increased cost for consumers would lead to a decrease in beef/dairy consumption, but that's unamerican

We are incapable of doing anything at all in any capacity to combat emissions. There is no change small enough that we will do it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If there was a button you could push that would decrease emissions, and it had no other effect, no one would care enough to push it and the government would seize it and lock it up and use any and all methods to prevent people from pressing it.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Stereotype posted:

If there was a button you could push that would decrease emissions, and it had no other effect, no one would care enough to push it and the government would seize it and lock it up and use any and all methods to prevent people from pressing it.

If you push the button, it will decrease the emissions. However, it comes with the great cost of turning all extant governments Marxist.

Are you a bad enough du-hey wait, I’ve not finished!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

it's 90F in the late afternoon on april 29 lmao we are all going to die

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Just genetically engineer cows to be a little less environmentally destructive. All the other problems which are approaching infinite in number? No. Just fix cows, or say you're going to fix cows, get investors on board and all that poo poo, and then abandon it when it gets the slightest pushback from the usual suspects. Oh well! We tried, sort of. Sorry about the flood fires and famines I guess

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

If you push the button, it will decrease the emissions. However, it comes with the great cost of turning all extant governments Marxist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQ-LZYAMBQ

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I’m going to solve biosphere collapse. And get rich.

I will not be taking questions at this time.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Wrong button

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

toggle posted:

why does arizona get the water???

Chip Fab of course

https://restofworld.org/2024/tsmc-arizona-expansion/

Making chips takes lots of water. By lots of water I mean a lot. Making this a good idea to place one in a desert

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the companies building chip fabs claim they recycle almost all of the water they use. would love to see some independent fact checks on that claim

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

quiggy posted:

it's 90F in the late afternoon on april 29 lmao we are all going to die

ok doomer but its actually 40°F here so it sounds like a skill issue

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

frozenphil posted:

ok doomer but its actually 40°F here so it sounds like a skill issue

this. very pleasant weather here today.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Hit Man posted:

Chip Fab of course

https://restofworld.org/2024/tsmc-arizona-expansion/

Making chips takes lots of water. By lots of water I mean a lot. Making this a good idea to place one in a desert

ahh yes here i was thinking it would be used to help with city infrastructure, not for a corporation lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the only reason infrastructure exists at all is for the benefit of corporations. if it doesn’t directly benefit a corporation that is bribing a politician it doesn’t happen.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stereotype posted:

the only reason infrastructure exists at all is for the benefit of corporations. if it doesn’t directly benefit a corporation that is bribing a politician it doesn’t happen.

see also why the port of seattle got a no-questions-asked eight lane surface highway replacement for an elevated viaduct that was torn down because the deep-bore tunnel that was pitched as the viaduct's replacement didnt enable truck traffic to reach some of the port facilities efficiently enough, but we can't get a single public toilet funded anywhere in the entire city

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

not to be that guy, but most of cattle methane is from them burping (eructation)

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/29/weather/la-nina-summer-forecast-us-el-nino-climate/index.html

quote:

The influence of El Niño or La Niña on US weather isn’t as clear-cut in the summer as it is in the winter, especially during a transition between the two phases, said Michelle L’Heureux, a climate scientist with the Climate Prediction Center.

Temperature differences between the tropics and North America are more extreme in the winter, L’Heureux explained. This allows the jet stream to become quite strong and influential, reliably sending storms into certain parts of the US.

In the summer, the difference in temperature between the two regions isn’t as significant and the obvious influence on US weather wanes.

But we can look back at what happened during similar summers to get a glimpse of what could come this summer.

In short: It’s not cool.

The summer of 2016 was one of the hottest on record for the Lower 48. La Niña conditions were in place by midsummer and followed a very strong El Niño winter.

Summer 2020 followed a similar script: La Niña conditions formed midsummer after a weak El Niño winter but still produced one of the hottest summers on record and the most active hurricane season on record.

Then there’s the fact that these climate phenomena are playing out in a warming world, raising the ceiling on the extreme heat potential.

“This obviously isn’t our grandmother’s transition out of El Niño – we’re in a much warmer world so the impacts will be different,” L’Heureux, said. “We’re seeing the consequences of climate change.”

Current summer temperature outlooks for the US are certainly bringing the heat.

but el nino was supposed to be a hot year which means non-el-nino is supposed to be cooler??

[Biosphere Collapse] bringing the heat

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
dta, I hope we all burn

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

i was shamefully wrong about our contribution as the ocean had already absorbed 25 billion hiroshimas of heat from 1971 to 2018: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/15/oceans-have-been-absorbing-the-worlds-extra-heat-but-theres-a-huge-payback

our mighty civilization has already soared past double digit hiroshimas per second years ago

we can accomplish so much more

Tekne has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Apr 30, 2024

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
we're currently at 0.2 tsar bombas per minute

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4UckOGdZtI

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

The 50 megaton one they tested or the 100 megaton one they were afraid to test? :v:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

i worked with a big fat guy who, when he would destroy a toilet, call it “the bomba”.

a big drinking big making GBS threads don juan

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
monitor

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

its always on, babe, always on

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
Has anyone tried asking the cows to use their table manners? They need to take some personal responsibility.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

toggle posted:

i worked with a big fat guy who, when he would destroy a toilet, call it “the bomba”.

a big drinking big making GBS threads don juan

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

…even our faces will be irrelevant. The world that The Boss envisioned will finally become a reality, and it will make mankind whole again.

Lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rauros posted:

not to be that guy, but most of cattle methane is from them burping (eructation)

Facts matter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rauros posted:

easily fixed with a gut pipe leading up a special harness housing a small burn tower.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
just put all the cows in a dome to collect the biogas like they do with landfills and sewage cisterns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Nature abhors a fart dome