Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Hello, would anyone like to join my commune? I can give you a tour, c'mon! This is the community hall, and this over here is where we make the jerky, let me show you how it's done...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Lol. Lmao.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Buffer posted:

The thing that hit me recently is the realization that thermonuclear war is one of the softer landings for the species at this point - if it happens soon enough to effectively de-industrialize and end emissions anyway. Except lol, no, even that wouldn't be enough w/o some magical carbon capture tech after the exchange.

That's some dark poo poo.

Hahaha yesssss join me in the final ping, where it is our moral responsibility, our duty above all other things to initiate the complete annihilation of civilization as rapidly as possible. Hopefully some jungle rodents will survive this millennium that way.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

Man, I wish I could roll the clock back five years to before I started reading the papers on how rapidly things are going to unravel. What an innocent time. :allears:

E: I'm not being snarky, it really was a nice time. It's really hard for me to enjoy hiking or anything anymore. :(

This is the soul-splitter for me. I grew up nearly unsupervised running around in the woods and now no matter where I go I am stunned be the stillness and emptiness of "nature." There is no nature. It's gone. If you think you see some brave creature surviving in its own way you are wrong, what you see is a lonely ghost, a lost remnant of a world that is long faded in the rearview mirror.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
My failed attempts at hedonism leave me in awe of the belief that one can simply have fun or be happy after having looked into the abyss. Crack-pinging over and over until my brain looks like it has one of those nice crackle finishes has left me in the opposite camp. Humans deserve to suffer proportional to their consumption, and the only good those of us in the first world can do is pass that suffering upwards.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Now I'm imagining having to disassemble and recycle dead robobees all the time. Or if you step on one *crunch* there goes :10bux:

E; the insects, recognizing the failure of the incredibly rare-in-the-universe sapient mammals to accept communism and join the galactic hive mind, have elected to return to their home planets. The true cause of the population decline was the fall of the USSR

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Sep 21, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Waking up praying for death rather than another day in the auto industry lol

Lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

IAMKOREA posted:

me: direct air capture will never work you idiots

facebook fact checker: there is a direct air capture plant currently operating in iceland. five pinnochios.

NSA overseer of social media narrative control: good thing we pay for SA server bills to keep these idiots contained, they'd be so much more work to track otherwise

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Critical mass imo, habitats are too fractured and monoculture is too pervasive to maintain breeding populations in the face of all the chemicals etc, and so we've hit the Seneca cliff for bugs.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

IAMKOREA posted:

I took a 3 hr train ride today and as we passed dead tilled field after dead tilled field this was pretty much all I could think about. I wish people knew how alive the soil is and how devastating tillage is. There's an entire food web living in the soil, all interconnected. Bugs don't hit our windshields anymore because they don't have anything to loving eat, we've starved them all.

*Sudden mental image of picking up a clod of farmed dirt and feeling it crumble and break because that's all it is, just dirt, literally nothing but dead dirt*

"Just like my soul"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm so tired of trying to exist and find companionship in this poo poo. People either bail once the "where do you see yourself long term" talk happens or refuse to believe me and try to fix me. It's all finally happening just like we knew it would for my whole life and still it's "you're crazy, that couldn't happen." "Why would you think something like that, do you want to be miserable?"

The human capacity for denial is just incredible. The fact that anyone still goes to work despite the obvious looming in their face is stunning. It's one of those days where I want to lmao, but I can only sadly lol.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Xeom posted:

wanna be there during that first date where car hater just goes off like a madman. keep shining you bright star.

I generally don't broach it on the first date unless it's going really well. People don't like having their fantasies about the future shut down in a romantic context. Then again I've only been on two since I went completely insane all over again this past year. I had it contained for a while there but lol lmao.

*Sigh* What I really miss is terrifying my congresscritters. I think I'll do that again this fall as they start to gear up for primaries. It's time to ask the followup question to my harassment in 2018 - "Given warning, what they have done in their term to prepare us for the collapse of industrial civilization?"

E;

Rectal Death Adept posted:

"So what do you do for a living"
"I stare into the cold inescapable abyss"
"Is that a... literary reference?"
"No, we are all dead. The world is dead. Everything is dead. The message hasn't been received by our brains"
"Bro, I am not Padme. You aren't getting a second date if you talk about killing all the women and children too."

nah more like "So what do you want?" gets a range of responses (depending on how long it's been and how hard someone has been trying to convince themselves that I don't really mean it) from
"Well I just want someone to hold hands with as we go over the cliff"
to
"[The contents of my posting]"

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Sep 21, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The garden died in the heat wave and there weren't any bugs anyway so it was depressing. You should have seen how phenomenally excited I was for this hornworm caterpillar this time last year, hang on I'll find it.

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Sep 21, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Wakko posted:

same, car hater you should gopro some of these. i bet there's youtube money to be had

i legit can't imagine hooking up for the dying of all lights and somehow being sad about it. okcupid's "not having kids and its very important" slapped back in the day

Missed this, and I guess this is my problem - I can't imagine not being sad about it, and I get mad at people who aren't. Like yeah yeah crack-ping and all, I've done the acceptance loop, even introduced a couple people to the Myth of Sisyphus, not saying I spend all my time being negative. But then like Korea was saying, you spend 3 hours staring out the window on a train ride at a desolate hellscape that you know you and yours are responsible for causing, you spend the rest of the day with the thousand-yard stare, people close to you tend to notice and inquire and awaaaaayyyyy we go!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
But those electric cars are made with good union jobs, Jack! (Also overseas child slave labor and military force)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Wow, President BEB!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Because the only conclusion is to launch the nukes!

*Stops working to fantasize about how beautiful it would be to see that flash of light from my desk and get up to stare out the window and wait for the blast wave as my eyes boil*

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Sep 22, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Cold on a Cob posted:

how long until climate change activists start self immolating like buddhist monks? can't wait for shitlords to start making fun of them for that because even though i expect it in my lifetime it's still gonna be a crack ping for me.

Next time I get fired (ayyyyyy)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

tiberion02 posted:

This thread will accept people who are in stages 1 (denial-though, stay in the thread and you wont be there long), 2 (anger), 4 (depression), 5 (acceptance) or 6 (meaning)...... but absolutely will not entertain the bullshit involved in stage 3 (bargaining).

Nature Abhors a Dome

7 (babbling insanity)

*Goes back to streetcorner wearing a sign stating "Sex should be punishable by death"*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I feel like it's all the same grief/rage just with different levels of intensity and character depending on how present you are in the moment and how distressing the aspect of Doooooooom you're focused on is.

Acceptance is when you find it funny

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hubbert posted:

hope is the greatest evil lurking in pandora's box

post it on every board, plaster it on every open wall, tattoo it on every newborn's arm, burn it into the loving moon

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Drakeno Beans
Drakeyes Bullets

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

splifyphus posted:

I wrote a bunch about it, it was a really loving intense experience. on the come up I panicked for a while cuz I realized *it* was just gonna be there the whole time, but then I realized that that was just gonna be the trip and I had to roll with it, so I did.

The eliminative materialist guys talk about something called the semantic apocalypse, and this was p much that. Monster-vision. Not only does nothing matter, nothing ever mattered. Not only are humans already extinct, but they never really existed in the first place. Ever since Marx it's been communism or extinction, and the failure of communism also means the failure of humanity to justify its continued existence - or to come into existence at all. In the face of certain extinction, the communist 'ought' looks less like an historical phenomenon and more like an onto-theological feature of the universe itself.

Live that cannot regulate its metabolism with a biosphere dies, and there's nothing bad or sad or wrong about this. Only sufficiently eco-checked or sufficiently communist life persists. Why would anybody want to live in a universe structured differently? How could a universe even be structured differently?

So yeah we've been in a cult for probably our entire existence, and only recently has it been possible to step outside the cult horizon. As for a final message, there's only one lesson we have to impart - if the capitalists come to your world, you must kill them all or perish.

Lol you and I have squabbled over communism and I agree overall having done similar amounts of drugs and writing before so don't want to be a dick but c'mon, you're not cracking your ping hard enough. We've been in a cult/doomed since we split off from chimps instead of bonobos. The wrong lineage spawned from the great apes got going with the big brains, and what resulted is not fit to build [hypothetical sustainable civilization]. And sure, we can call that hypothetical communism if we like, but nothing functional is ever going to come out of the junkie monkey addiction to coal and oil so we can't really imagine/name it.

I mean look at this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomen_atmospheric_engine

The first coal powered device! What does it do? Drains mines so we can get more coal.

Communism is supposed to come after that, and maintain functionality of the biosphere while uplifting the lifestyle of the dominant species, an animal wired for constant self interest and politicking? Idk, can't buy it. Longevity/Space is for bug people. Hiveism. Stalin with an ovipositor.

Lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm going to run up my credit card ordering from budk at the last minute. The market is cornered on bullets already, but when my commune is the only one in the region with an ample supply of katanas and sais, nothing.will stop us from securing ourselves.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hubbert posted:

I find that people "newer" to collapse sort of just ... give up. They no longer save for the future, or try to aspire for anything, with the knowledge they carry about the future.

Remember that nothing is ever fully known about the future. Yes, we are on a trajectory towards decline and diminished quality of life, but doing everything you can to prepare for that future today (e.g. personal or professional investments) will be a blessing tomorrow. If everything turns out better than expected, you will be grateful to yourself. If it isn't, then at least you have a cushion in collapse.

Civilization may have a cyclical pattern, yes, but collapse takes numerous decades - even centuries - to reach the nadir.

All you can do is prepare for the long descent.

Eh, we're old. When you freshly crack-ping these days there's no real time to warm up the motor, it's all hypercanes and firenados and pooping in bunker vents to collect soft rich people meat for your wasteland warlord. The long descent was a concept from the days before the abruptness of historical climate change and extinction events was understood, I don't think it really holds valid anymore.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

The Protagonist posted:

look at this optimist

the sad fact is this poo poo is going to crawl along on momentum for the rest of our lives, kicking and screaming into the grave even as it all burns down around it. everything will take forever to bleed out, every horrific climate event and horrors of all kinds will be totally normalized... everything except questioning the sanctity of the security state, and its sovereignty of violence

that will be sacrosanct, and the libs will line up to suck pig dick even as the fires rise around them

The crop failures have started.
The permafrost methane off gassing has started.
The self-perpetuating wildfires have started.
The algae blooms have started.
Covid is training like Goku.
The supply chain is going to poo poo.
I'm going to touch the president's hairy leg in the pool.
Lol.
Lmao.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm going to shoot the president of DOME-TEC before it gets off the ground and destroy all of your hopes

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Lol fine I'll run the imaginary person over with my bike instead, as if it matters. The domes aren't coming to save us.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The American West is dryer than it has ever been, more populated than it has ever been, and La Nina is coming

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
So you're saying I should quit my job? Today even? Right in the middle of this meeting maybe????

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
They also already have their domes. Cheyenne Mountain. Raven Rock. Chiashan. And thousands of others scattered throughout the world, designed to keep the notion of the state and it's right to dominate you alive forever. You think they didn't think of you pooping in the vents when your grandparents were still in nappies?

Only Da Bomb can save us now

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Nah they'll use the bases as the bailey and the physical defenses as the motte in order to kickstart their little local feudalisms. We must deny them our descendents

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Sep 29, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

What then?

Similar story around the Great Lakes. Now I've seen the rest of the country too and what was the point? It's all the same repetitive sprawl punctuated by some unique buildings. I grew up hauling fat sunfish out of the lake with a string a hook and a piece of corn, and seeing bald eagles tussle over carp we threw onshore. I go back multiple times a year and I haven't seen anything smaller than a bass from the dock nor any birds in the trees save for the ones at feeders in half a decade. I know full well the highway expansion a mile and a half away has filled everything with pollution and death and the food chain is going out, I still have to drive on it to get there and see my family.

What now?

Idk draw a road through an oil exec's property and run them over, you'll probably get away with it. Cars are like mini corporations, way more rights than people.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

RIP Syndrome posted:

Cool. So the cloud layer breakdown forecast by the way too pessimist, probably bad new models that was maybe, possibly happening next century in an absolute worst-case scenario:

- Is real
- Started happening in earnest a couple of years ago

lmao

I have been laughing all morning at this, I think I'm going to be sick from choking. Lmao if Guy McPherson ends up validated after all

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Reverend Zero posted:

and then a third skeleton is all like hey yall check it out i got a boner. lol. lmao.

hes had too much to drink probably

https://youtu.be/3lKrWYesiWU
Laughing skeleton for thread mascot

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"Not content with exterminating all other life, man set his sights on the enemy which had weightlessly taunted him from afar his whole existence...clouds."

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"After this I'll destroy the sun!" the mad ape contentedly thought to itself.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

im curious how far they could actually get under ideal circumstances with today's technology

loving nowhere, that's the whole point of this fable we're living. Ask anyone into aquariums about how much harder proportionally it is to keep smaller tanks stable, then extrapolate. We couldn't keep a planet-sized dome that came with cool see-thru protective layers and huge thermal stabilizers running, what makes anyone think we have the talents to run smaller domes?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"Hello I would like to purchase 100 years worth of grain for 10000 people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

splifyphus posted:

At the moment, in our conditions, communism/socialism has no utopian content. Whatever is capable of surviving the mass extinction event will be what does, and whatever that life is cannot and won't be capitalist. 'Communism' is now a grim march to unfuckify the biosphere over epochs, if it is anything.

Where the specifics of our respective crack-pings levels seem to differ is that you're saying there's a neutral, transhistorical human species-being defined by being "hardwired for self-interest and politicking", and I'm saying there's a onto/theo/political a priori that comes before that, and therefore no such thing as a 'human' ever existed.

The status of the existence of something like a human is retroactive - only from the perspective of a fully realized communism could we say that there was something like a human, something like a human history, something like the kind of species-being you're talking about. If we can no longer anticipate or participate in such a perspective without being delusional, then there is no longer any basis on which to construct the hypothesis of such an essence.

Post-human consciousness is the realization that you're not human, you never were, because there is not and never was any such thing as a human being. If the truth of something is its function, what it does - then what there is, concretely, geologically, is just another mass extinction event. Humans were a dream that a mass extinction event had.

Ohhhh ok yeah I think we're 100% on the same page of the book but reading/writing in a different language.

I look in the mirror and I see a flesh-thing with a bunch of preprogrammed and acquired I/O loops, operating in an environment made of other flesh-things which are themselves also mere extensions of the Source, i.e. whichever chemical precursor got itself into a bunch and became RNA. Self-replication is the only true objective at the base level, Power is required to self-replicate, politics is the manner by which actors within a system determine the distribution of Power through the system, and hence, all life engages in self-interested politicking whether it is aware of it or not. A small group of flesh-things has found a way to win the game forever, and is playing that play to the hilt no matter that it will end the game. I definitely agree with you that the notion of species is specious at best, and that this is the natural outcome of extreme success - another mass extinction.

I was just taking communism to mean "classless stateless industrial society" rather than "whatever shape the stage of organization that must necessarily arise for society to continue functioning and not collapse from the contradictions of capitalism takes", and unfortunately imo galactic civ level success is predicated on NOT being made up of flesh-things that fit the ecological niche of "omnivorous hyper-competitive apex predator turned farmer" and thus hopefully not doing capitalism in the first place.

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Oct 3, 2021