Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Minera posted:

pop quiz: what has a better future survival rate for the human species: all out nuclear war between two nations, or continued fossil fuel driven existence cliff dive

Answer: it doesn't matter, one will cause the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Mr colonel sir what are you gonna do with that corn *shy blush*

Do you want to find out... or are you chicken?

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

What I'm hearing is that if we work really hard now, maybe future generations will still be able to live in Northern Canada, Greenland and Siberia, and not just on Antarctica.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

I live in a very rural area, and a few times a day I generally here the Amish go by in their horse-drawn cart. It's a good reminder that I don't really need a car (and a lot of other stuff), it is a choice that I have made, consciously or not.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah right idiot you think we have horses for 8 billion people? Do you know how much daily, unpaid labor you need to expend to keep just one horse?

Okay

I know this guy, he has a farm. Raises sheep and goats.
He will not take payment for anything he produces. He will only give things away.
He has feasts at his farm, show up and he will feed you. Has a giant pot of stew, lamb and beets. It's pretty good.

He will accept gifts, but only if they are freely given with no expectation of getting something in return, not as bartering.

He has lots of people telling him, "You can't do that! It's not practical!" But that is what he is doing. People give him stuff, because they like what he is doing. Some people go work on his farm, helping him out. But they don't get paid.

Engaging in the money economy is a choice, and he thinks it is a bad choice that should be avoided. Real community, he thinks, is not transactional. He is interested in building community, something that is sorely lacking in the US.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Fell Mood posted:

I know this is a bit, but I know dumbasses in real life that really do think this way. They always leave out that it can't scale to billions of people, so massive depopulation is required to try it.

Also never can explain how the needed manufacturing fits in. Everything on that guys farm that he can't make by hand, from metal implements to chicken wire to worm medicine for the goats to boards and nails to repair the barn, where does it come from?
Guys like that only have the privileged luxury to not participate because everyone else does.

You are correct, it can not scale up.
Over the next 20 or 30 years, no one knows exactly, an event or series of events will lead to the death of hundreds of millions, or more likely billions, of people. Current ways of doing things are not sustainable. It is already collapsing.

I don't have any answers, and I don't think there are any. I, and that farmer, are very privileged. He can only pay the taxes on his farm because people give him money to do that.

Anyway, what happens when things fall apart? This farmer guy has a support network that is impossible in a city.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol I know small-scale farmers and any small-scale farmer who has the ability to feed randos and not accept cash money or barter for produce is a trust fund kid with a hobby, small-scale family farming is one of the most economically precarious existences you could imagine. Where'd he get the land? Where's he getting vet care? How's he heating his house? How's he buying fencing?

You can't loving opt out of the money economy, all you can do is cosplay it as long as your checks keep clearing

e: oh, "entirely fictional person" is also a plausible option here

I can't tell you that much about him, I don't know that much and I don't have his permission to. I think he did fall into some very lucky things getting the land. He has kept it going for a long time. It's remarkable to me how he is very friendly with the old farmers around, guys in their seventies. They like what he is doing, possibly because he has a lot of respect for history and the old ways of doing things.

I understand why you would be skeptical, and yeah there is an element of play. Not as in playing at it, but a playful approach that draws people into his way of doing things - a sort of charisma that I don't have. It is indeed precarious, but somehow he keeps it going.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

I thought I was doing pretty good with doomsteading actually. Cabin in the woods in a rural area, high up enough that it won't get flooded. I suck at growing things, but there are lots of farms around. Pretty good at fixing and maintaining mechanical things. Good collection of how-to books. Cut and stack my own wood for the winter.

But then there was Covid, and clouds of smoke coming down out of Canada, and the drat ticks. There isn't really any safe place anywhere. How will I go? Shortages will get worse and worse, the pharmacy will no longer have my anti-depressants, and I will do it myself. Remains eaten by cat.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

We don't talk about the underground part.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

That's the underground part

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Just a Moron posted:

I can be thinly sliced, battered in cornmeal, and fried, Greg, would I be delicious?

Soylent Green, it's just a moron

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Microplastics posted:

What's on your bucket list

1. Acquire bucket

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Elder care in America is too horrific a burden to place on anyone, and it's only going to get worse.

Well yeah, but I'm also skeptical of the idea of there being a lot of old people still around 30 years from now.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Yes insurance companies like to make money, but they sometimes convince themselves that they are making money when they are not. Having worked for two insurance companies that went bankrupt while I was there, I have seen this happen.

Yes, it was partly my job to make sure that didn't happen, and yes, I probably should have cared more whether or not they went bankrupt. Oh well.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

You are not allowed to discuss things that might actually be effective

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

ELTON JOHN posted:

it's good to spend meaningful time with cool people, doing cool things, imo

That can be hard to do, when you live in the US.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

quiggy posted:

[looking for a place to build my new house] what about here, at Suicide Basin

I thought you were joking, but no, it's really called that

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

does that tech exist. can i poo poo on a computer and make bitcoin come out

No, that's how you get shitcoins

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Seems like everyone I talk to lately is just like casually "yeah we're all doomed"

Were talking about moving, but it was like, "nah, the biosphere is gonna collapse before we can get our poo poo packed up"

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Enrique digs through the rubble for you and brings you the Rolex you got for graduation.

You are a bit mad that Enrique has let get damaged, but also the look in his eyes make you see that he too, is a human. In a rare burst of empathy, you tell him to take the rest of the day off, and go look for his missing daughter.

You call the Times. They will love the watch story. You decide not to mention Enrique.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Microplastics posted:

It won't be direct to consumers, it'll be selling bugs to flour companies that grind them up and cut into the flour and then don't have to mention it on the packaging due to terrible regulations, and consumers will unknowingly Eat The Bugs

I was assured that soylent will come in a variety of colors and, hopefully, flavors

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

smoobles posted:

climate change... seems bad. idk

It's not ideal, frankly.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

When I take my1929 Model A out for a ride, it does not come back covered in insects, hth

All the insects have been replaced by ticks, it seems

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Tired: Faster than expected
Wired: A strikingly gloomy update on an already alarming picture.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I was assured that it isn’t that bad yet

That was last week

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

tree probably would have been killed by invasive beetles or something anyway

Yeah but then you couldn't blame a specific person

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Just a Moron posted:

it is definitely possible to progress forward in scientific understanding and material infrastructure while coexisting with the rest of the world.

Sure, it could be possible, somebody should try that

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

It's a lovely fall day, the leaves changing color. If you don't mind the air being a little hazy, as it has been since June or July, from the smoke drifting down from Canada. And it's a little weird being 78 degrees in October. I think back to when I moved here, in October, eleven years ago. It was snowing.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Fall foliage is actually pretty good right now in the Adirondacks, but the colors are less brilliant than other years because of the haze in the air from the Canadian fires that's been here for months.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

pluto actually is a planet

Pluto can be a planet when Ceres is a planet

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

The American Dream was always a dream, nothing more.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Well, tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Microplastics posted:

*3ft lower down on the rock*

but if you see THIS, ok things are pretty bad

1 ft further down:

LOL, LMAO

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Renewable energy ooga booga

Americans literal children, accurate

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

So far in this century there's only been 19 people whose individual actions had a direct and immediate impact on reducing airline emissions, but it only lasted for a couple of days

Wow

As I've said before, the things that would make an actual difference, we are not allowed to talk about

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

RIP Syndrome posted:

Eh, they say that every year

It's very likely they will say it next year as well

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

he died of ligma accelerated by climate change

drat, that sucks

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

The good news is that carbon emissions will decrease, after the human population collapse

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

The Pyrocene

Edit: I see that that's already a term

Actuary X has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Come on, Carrington Event 2