Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

what if we start all eating bugs? like are bugs easier to grow than plants? how do you even make bugs.

wait do bugs gently caress

omg flies have dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

These aspects are important to distinguish, because a person can be pessimist concerning climate change as an unmitigated or poorly mitigated process and optimist concerning mitigation of climate change, and be pessimist concerning one mitigation measure and optimist concerning another specific concerning and be pessimist process mitigated concerns and be optimist within, the process or within changed concerning mitigation climate, or be climate within process pessimist climate optimist concern mitigate pessimist climate climate pessimist mitigate change concern change concern pessimist pertaining prsismyisy dual change unmitigated poorly concern.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lmao you can’t search for nature abhors a dome on YouTube?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wait how much polyester is in adult poop

kater
Nov 16, 2010

“have you given any more thought to moving”
“have you”
“lol”
“lmao”

kater
Nov 16, 2010

people are feeding them plastic on purpose? geez no wonder it’s in everything’s poop.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

What does this terrifying news mean for you? Let us know in the comments below.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pooky posted:

this whole overlapping crises thing is great. whenever you get too worried about one problem you can just take a deep breath and remember that none of this loving matters because there's always something bigger and worse going on.

and even if you pretend anything matters we don't have a leg to stand on when complaining about current conditions, societal or other wise. The hellworld coming for the new generation is going to be unspeakably horrific.

:cry: a chud got shot, close the thread! lol the world is literally ending who cares about either of them. enjoy the show lmao.

I liked A Serious Man dealing with this. and it’s climate appropriate!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Chamale posted:

I read something I found upsetting yesterday. The bird with the largest brain in the Anthropocene was quite intelligent - smart enough to solve puzzles, have a complex social structure, and predict weather patterns. But despite the huge brain, it had no concept of an apex predator, so sailors could grab one and hold it upside down and club all of the birds that ran to help their squawking friend. Because their instincts couldn't cope with meeting murder apes, the dodo bird got an undeserved reputation for being stupid and obsolete.

thanks for sharing!

wait the crack isn’t happening I’m just thinking about this sad and horrible thing make it stop make it stop

kater
Nov 16, 2010

surely mostly everyone alive ate a bunch of horrible plastic garbage as a baby too…. and we’re all… fine…. yeah just fine…

kater
Nov 16, 2010

it was always weird they came up with a pipe system to deliver water to peoples homes but not milk.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so I’m laying on a bed made of plastics covered in plastics wearing plastics holding plastics I unno my mouth prolly is full of plastics got plastic fans blowing plastic air through a plastic house man polymerization is an act of godhood and it’s so cheap it’s priced into a 30 cent squash.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

we managed to build coral between 1998 and 2008 surely we can do it ag— nearly all coral loss is due to rising ocean temperature? well we just need to roll up our sleeves and

kater
Nov 16, 2010

prolly just some more overly optimistic experts

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don’t see why moving to Florida is necessarily a bad idea. Front row tix and surely their will be some assistance at the start and a huge payoff from when Miami sues Greenland for melting.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Car Hater posted:

Aaaaahahaha lol you loving assholes, I just did this today and then I come in here and you're all talking it up. Came home for my brothers birthday, looking out over the lake, "holy poo poo dude, the fall colors are gross." Everything is muted and brown-grey-green. Nothing is safe. Every bit of reality cries out for attention and I'm like wtf how are we not all insane like dogs subjected to constant whistles. AHHHHH LOL

I’ve had tinnitus for years.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so is toxic algae bloom vs unstoppable world fire how we keep oxygen at a level that sustains human population?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

not much watts up with you

kater
Nov 16, 2010

T-Paine posted:

looking forward to this getting exponentially worse

cspam

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so 25 years says that optimistic linear yellow line.

7 still seems a good bet.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

It doesnt really say anything different then any other scientist who studies the carbon cycle is though. We're at permian extinction levels of CO2 going into the air every day.

I love all these scientists that presumably work their asses off to create poo poo that boils down to graphs used to teach econ 101. truly the more advanced science.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

^^ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Xaris posted:

i know its not what you meant but its fun to watch libs put the blame to one guy (or gal) when the whole system is loving awful. huey long wouldn't stand for 1 guy sitting in the way

Joe ma chin is a loving human carbon credit. look the system is working! yay representive democracy is so pretty. what u mean nothing is improving we just need to plant some votes and earn more Joe manchine.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I can’t add in screams fast enough

kater
Nov 16, 2010

it’s even better than that

CDR is carbon dioxide removal. the line goes back down because of the necessity to assume a large increase in carbon dioxide removal.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

why are you paying for corn

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Chamale posted:

I wonder if the water authority is hoping the drought ends soon.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

but how much lower is it because of climate change prevention policies?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Car Hater posted:

*shrug*

Idk, I absorbed both threads long long ago and I know full well that I am in fact a coward for not martyring myself. They're not wrong there, they just want to be able to smugly point and laugh at the sad monk committing self-immolation, and don't believe that the flames will reach them.

being a martyr seems weird, it’s like you have to be fundamentally trusting that the people left behind will care or change or anything and that seems quite preposterous. seems more constructive to vote.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

actionjackson posted:

what's the best response to "people have said peak oil is coming for 20 years and we are still producing more each year?"

‘lol’

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol love to feel uncomfortable getting a glass of water

kater
Nov 16, 2010

https://youtu.be/UF_wabuo5Ng lol stop tracking me google

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I like the idea of trees fighting cars.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

the only thing humanity is capable of is passing the buck therefore having children is the only ethical act possible.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

garbage fuel is getting to me. like if you recycle it it gets burned if you throw it away it gets burned. I mean

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Chamale posted:

I take an antidepressant in a plastic capsule every day. That's probably bad, right?

The modern world is going to end one way or the other. We need a just collapse, not to keep going for another twenty years and then it's Oops! All Crops Have Failed!

I’m preeetty sure plastic capsules are bio plastic at least but duckin who knows it’s probably cheaper to supplement with oil somehow.

bio plastic is also the binder for gluten free bread and god knows what other food. what was in those 30% tuna subway sandwiches again?

oh I see I’m responding late to cellulose paranoia

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

neat piece from the ap today, it just lays out all the numbers matter of factly. places like Alaska are already at +1.4C

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1454494681631535108

Now, the 91-year-old activist said, that hope has been smothered: “The ice is melting. ... Everything is bad. ... Thirty years of degradation.” :unsmith:

quote:

A pessimistic Lyons, the Native American activist, said, “I would say this meeting in Glasgow is the last shot.”

last shot at what ???? this was an article about hundreds of thousands of people being dead. what’s gonna change that? loving get hype everyone for some dumb bullshit that won’t go into effect for a decade and will be ignored or broken on political whims and was only ever going to accomplish giving someone a job making graphs about how little effect it’s had over the course of twenty years

is this a tourist event? maybe next time they can build a dome that air conditions a desert for it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

5 is the best when all that is left us 4 or less. 4 is the best when all that is left is 3 or less. Repeat ad nauseum.

this doesn’t seem that repeatable, which I guess is correct for this example

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Spime Wrangler posted:

when asking yourself "is this a good idea" remember that usually the alternative is not "do a good thing" but instead "oh no. oh gently caress no"

https://archive.epa.gov/epawaste/conserve/materials/tires/web/html/tdf.html it appears this page was taken down shortly after the start of the trump administration

taken down because big toothpaste doesn’t want you to know

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Just heard another NPR segment "It's Been a Minute" which had some nice quotes

I caught the end of this with the little do what you love speech and I know it’s been a minute is their attempt at not having zombies preach number but just hearing someone saying you are right to feel bad and they are going crazy too feels like soommmmething.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Im remembering an X-ray or ct or I unno what it was I’ve had so many but my lungs weren’t full or something and there was crap at the bottom of em and dude was all don’t worry about that everyone is like that