Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That Spooky Witch posted:

there are 41,600 subway stores in the world

900 000 carbon capture plants, yup, comin' right up

i am so sorry, future generations

We just need these CCS systems for everything:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fenrg.2019.00143/full

Really loving complex compared to just outputting the exhaust from the engine to enviroment. There are vast details and estimates for nearly all mobile transport systems, including cruise ships, trains, cars, trucks etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well it is extremely likely that we won't be able to sterilize the planet. Some life will be left alive, and it will most likely go through the motions of evolution during millions of years and pop out again something new.

To be able to sterilize a planet, now that is quite something.. is it even possible? I know a Colossus in Stellaris work, but how about IRL?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Xaris posted:

nah. it's likely that even like 3 billion years ago when it was mostly lava goo or something there was probably extremophile life. like you can go down to the deepest recess of the oceans where there's no real oxygen and there's bacteria just living off geothermal plants in the water. but it's mostly pedantic and moot. so yes, life on earth will go on, either in extremophile bacteria or probably other larger stuff, but also, who gives a poo poo. i would consider genociding like 80% of all the world's biomass in the form of native fauna and flora to be bad enough even though yes it will not entirely go away, not even possible for as awful as humans are, and will eventually recover

That is good to know. I think that starting life again from the basics (lightning storms agitaing the seas and forming building blocks for the most basic forms of life), amino acids etc. would be quite painful. Even if even some RNA survives it won't be that bad then. Probably! DNA surviving is even better. Life manifested even without current atmosphere so I don't think it will matter too much if atmosphere gets hosed. Seas probably can too get quite hosed without irrepairable damage. As long as we won't gently caress up the Earth's magnetic field, everything should be swell.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So humans on strict plant based diet without burning food for car fuel. How much we could lose and still feed everyone, 80-90% of the fields?

I mean just scrap all animals and related animal products, don't use food for biofuels. Don't eat more calories than you need. How much extra we produce than is nutritionally absolutely necessary?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We need to remove wealth from billionaires, and delete the removed wealth. Consumption causes problems, and when the money ceases to exist you can't use it for consumption. That way they don't have the money to affect politicans either anymore.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So someone has guesstimated historical co2 ppm's and temperatures. https://earth.org/data_visualization/a-brief-history-of-co2/

Looking at these 2 graphs:

So the current 400-500ppm gives around +6C after the sun has had enough time to warm up the planet and natural processes reach the equilibrium.

Ofc things don't stop at +6C since lots of frozen methane and carbon melts eventually before reaching equilibrium, so it probably gives at least another 500ppm (the numbers don't really matter) so another +6C totalling +12C.

So at the current point in emissions, we are set for +12C warming. The system hasn't had quite enough time to catch up with this yet.

I'd like to know what data the scientists have based their 2-3C warming goals on?

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Dec 24, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

they just spend the whole conference shouting “doomer” at the one guy who presented it

Well they are not wrong. We are in fact doomed, and have been, for a long time already. We just haven't realized it yet :v: Now you can enjoy the life to the fullest... free from the burdens of responsibility.

I really don't know what else to do in a doomed world, than to enjoy it as long as possible.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

RCP 8.5 is just a joke measurement put in like a stretch goal right? not actually supposed to be reachable ?

Haven't you seen what happens to stretch goals on Kickstarter? They devs often have to keep on inventing new ones since people fullfill all the lower tier ones!

Edit: at least I understand that RCP 8.5 is our current trajectory for year 2050 at least.

The lower models are based on the assumption that methane emissions stop increasing by 2050. I don't understand how that is possible if the methane concentrations keep on melting, and the melt increasing, due to warming climate.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Dec 24, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well if you sterilize the ground, repeatedly year after year, decade after decade. What do you think will happen to all of the poison, they just disappear from the face of the earth like PFAS? :v:

And all the plastic. And all the other chemicals. It is a wonder at least some bugs are still alive. Some study found 27 different pesticides from a bee, which had been visiting only flowers in the nature. The poison and plastics are everywhere, and bugs aren't safe from them anywhere. So they die off, just like humans intended.

Why else would humans want to sterilize everything, if not to kill everything living? It's bad for profits to not do so. Humans have spent considerable effort during their whole existence figuring out new, more efficient, more complete ways to kill and destroy everything, and we can't stop. We're all the time researching new, more efficient, more total ways to kill and destroy everything. Not all the tools we have developed have been used in mass scale (nukes), but so many have been...

-------------

This site is a very good joke too: https://www.epa.gov/pfas/pfas-explained

What EPA Has Learned So Far
PFAS are widely used, long lasting chemicals, components of which break down very slowly over time.
Because of their widespread use and their persistence in the environment, many PFAS are found in the blood of people and animals all over the world and are present at low levels in a variety of food products and in the environment.
PFAS are found in water, air, fish, and soil at locations across the nation and the globe.
Scientific studies have shown that exposure to some PFAS in the environment may be linked to harmful health effects in humans and animals.
There are thousands of PFAS chemicals, and they are found in many different consumer, commercial, and industrial products. This makes it challenging to study and assess the potential human health and environmental risks.
Learn more about our current understanding of PFAS.

What We Don't Fully Understand Yet
EPA's researchers and partners across the country are working hard to answer critical questions about PFAS:
How to better and more efficiently detect and measure PFAS in our air, water, soil, and fish and wildlife
How much people are exposed to PFAS
How harmful PFAS are to people and the environment
How to remove PFAS from drinking water
How to manage and dispose of PFAS

So uh we make tons of this that poo poo in thousands of different varieties and use it everywhere, but we really don't know how much of it is around and what it does :rubby:

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Dec 25, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Don't look up is a good movie. Sounds like a factual representation of current state of affairs. Doing anything to prevent total destruction lowers the profits...

Surely the companies will figure out a last chance technological way out of our predicament

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why would anyone buy plastic spoons or wood items made from glued strips of wood? I bought my wooden cooking utensils from a local outdoor market 15+ years ago, and they work fine still.

I wanted a bigger ladle so I found one from Estonian tourist shop in Tallinn. I think it was 10€ and some local carpenter made them. The neck got slightly tilted after use, I guess it dried out to a different position. Doesn't affect the use though.

If you see garbage products just leave them to the shop. Don't buy them. At least in Finland it is still possible to find durable items, just have to look around. I use 2nd hand military clothes and boots so durability in clothes is not an issue either. Leo Köhler t-shirts are OK too, bundeswehr t-shirt copies. You can buy socks made in Finland, Germany etc which last a very long time.

If you need nice shoes look at Sanders & Sanders, Loake 1880, Red Wing etc Goodyear welted shoes. They're like 300€/pair but durability does not come for free.

If your jeans suck, look at okayamadenim. Made in Japan jeans, including the cloth used.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Dec 28, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Here in Finland I know a local guy who makes solid wood, like Birch, tables. 5cm thick and one table takes a couple of planks glued together. Some guy nearby welds him some steel feet for the tables and paints them. They're like 800€ or so, not bad for a table you can use forever.

You can also select wooden feet etc. Basically full custom tables... Maybe someone around you makes something like this too? I bought an Artek 83A table because I had some Artek stuff already 🤷

My kitchen table is from the 50's, solid wood. Maybe you can find some second hand? No need to go to Ikea really at all.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Don't you guys value your own time? Researching what is good enough, going to buy it etc. takes so much effort. And then having to think about the issue again if something breaks?

I buy good stuff once, and then never have to think about it again. I use exactly the same plates, glasses & utensils as 17 years ago. I bought them new and they still make them new. My sofa is good as new (you can wash it when needed). All my furniture are as good as new no matter their age. Carpets, curtains, bookshelves etc. Only thing which wears out are mattresses. The springs give out after a certain time but I've understood that there's nothing you can do to help with that.

How do you even find stuff that breaks down or wears out? I have no idea. I used the same car for 17 years and sold it only because I wanted more power and owning two cars was too expensive.

My road bike is 40 years old. My city bike gets stolen every few years, but the current one is 7 years old. I've been lucky this time.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Xaris posted:

so the thing with this is:

a)
b)

c)

Probably all that, yes. My Electrolux kitchen appliances work fine. I use my parents Miele branded laundry machine, too much effort to buy & service a laundry machine for just myself.

quote:

e: to use your bike example, yes your bike frame should last forever on even a wal-mart bike. but what about your derailleur, the chains? if they're old, they're probablyt still good because they did build them better "back in the day". but a lot of new derailleurs are extremely poo poo intentionally. one you want to have the lowest price in a competitive market but you also want to keep making money because selling one good life-lasting derailleur for $49.99 is bad compared to making $$$ selling many more people on cheap $17.99 derailleurs that they then just keep buying from you because you have the cheapest price even if they just had one break a year ago (after all, surely it was just a freak accident right??). it takes some more upfront money, and knowledge to know you should just pony up for the better one, but what is the better one

I've always used Shimano parts. My road bike had Shimano 600 series. I swapped original downtube shifters to new Dura-ace bar end shifters. I use the old shimano 600 deraileurs in front and rear. I bought ultegra 6600 modern brakes used, because the old brakes were terrible and flexed a lot.

My City bike has maybe deore xt or xtr parts. They seem to work fine 🤷 I occasionally clean them and change new shift cables. 7 year old ones were very stuck and caused all kinds of shifting problems. Now the disc brake pistons are sticky especially in the rear. It was very annoying that Shimano doesn't sell new seals and pistons so I had to buy new brake calipers for 26€ each (similar Shimano model). I can get new pistons & seals for my car, but not for my bike?!

So that is one issue I guess, non-available spare parts for broken things. If something breaks it is very hard to repair well without spare parts. Capitalism releases new parts and doesn't sell spare parts for new or old parts. So you have to buy new ☹️

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

nomad2020 posted:

Yea sure, but how to be certain that the new god emperor won't just be a dickhead like all the other ones?

Elect me. I care only about other people's wellbeing, mankind's longevity for thousands of years more, and all the plants and animals and stuff. I have played lots of 4X games so I know how to create civilizations that span millenias. Surely I must thus be the best candidate for the role of Absolute Power.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

When you think about it. Mostly old people are in power these days. And already in USA they released 100 000 tons of lead yearly in the 70's. Thats around half a kilogram of lead per year per person. Lead makes people literally aggressive idiots. And they are in power, lording over the people, destroying the planet.

Makes one think!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/12/how-the-leaded-fuel-was-sold-for-100-years-despite-knowing-health-risks/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Wisest Moron posted:

I will be the Eco-Stalinist this planet needs.

Well Stalin had eco ideas. Sadly he died and the ideas were scrapped or watered down:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Plan_for_the_Transformation_of_Nature

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Stereotype posted:

I just watched the Netflix fungus movie and have decided I am going to grow mushrooms. fungus propaganda is the best propaganda.

Did you know humans are so good because they run a bit warmer than other species? And fungus can't survive very well at human temps. But as climate change raises temps, fungi evolve to function in warmer climates... And humans. We will most likely have more very nasty fungal medical diseases in future, and currently not very good treatments for them...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

They used asbestos before plastics. Which is worse? :v: I assume there are no good materials

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Good news, that is about to change! Soon, water will be the currency of the world.

How fun you think it will be for the people who live in a country with thousands of freshwater lakes and endless rains/snowfalls year round...?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've been wondering about sand. And seems others are too. In Finland many project already use plastic in concrete, and lots of the plastic ends up in waterways from construction sites. Well some people have realized you can substitute up to 10% of concrete with plastic, so in future even more of the plastic will probably end in everything around us (and spill to environment all around us).

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57832425

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Is a magnetosphere a critical ingredient for life? I don't know either but it's fun to have a little imagination now and then.

Without magnetosphere solar winds would sweep off the developing atmosphere to space. So yes. Magnetosphere allows sea life to create an atmosphere and then life evolve from sea to land.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why homo sapiens had to be an evolutionary dead end, which destroys the species and most/all other species sharing the same biosphere with it?

Yes I know the answer. Just lamenting the fact...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Under 25 years with home appliances is unacceptable. Who makes that kind of junk? Do I have to buy garbage too if/when something breaks eventually?

My Rosenlew fridge and Siemens dishwasher are 20 years old. My Electrolux hob, oven, hood and microwave are 9 years old. I think my parents have changed their appliances every 20-30 years. They have lived in their current home for 42 years and they are on their 2nd fridge.

My home is on bedrock, 105m over ocean. There is a lake nearby which is 95m and it drains to a lake with 77m height from ocean. I will die but not by drowning in a flood, hopefully.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Mar 7, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

"While the bureau has forecast declining water levels for years, experts say nothing in climate models suggested the precipitous drop would happen so quickly."

Unfortunately, she said, cash can’t stop a drought.

“If you have money, that doesn’t mean you can buy water,” she said.

:sickos:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Aren't tea bags lined with plastics since the 40's? When macines close the bag at the factory, the bags the plastic liner melts from heat and thus keeps the bag closed. You can perhaps observe that with your own tea bags too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Now IPCC is claiming that we will have to "temporarily" go over the 1,5C temperature barrier before getting back below it again later on.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

"Though the report found it was now “almost inevitable” that temperatures would rise above 1.5C – the level above which many of the effects of climate breakdown will become irreversible – the IPCC said it could be possible to bring them back down below the critical level by the end of this century. But doing so could require technologies to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, which campaigners warned were unproven and could not be a substitute for deep emissions cuts now."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/04/ipcc-report-now-or-never-if-world-stave-off-climate-disaster

Yes, if we just temporarily go above 1,5C, future CCS tech will fix it...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Humanity is the virus

It too me over 20 years to realize how right Agent Smith was

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

I remember the birds just teeming in my backyard as a kid, my favorite was the pileated woodpecker. Haven't seen one when visiting out there in years :(

The birds and the bugs are noticeably thinned out. Still a fair amount of hummingbirds were still showing up to the feeders last spring, cute spastic lil things, you'd think one of them would be guaranteed to just lance another one straight through from time to time

Current concentrations of pesticides and other chemicals and plastics are able to kill most living animals birds and smaller. I wonder what kind of concentrations we need to be effectively able to weed out humans?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I think people realize how turbo hosed we are. But they don't want to know. They don't want to talk about it. None of my friends do. So why cover some event no one wants to talk or know about in the news?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

TehSaurus posted:

I think actually many of the inputs we consume are cool and good but America is like an anti philosophers stone where we transmute beautiful wonders into horrors unimaginable

I assume this old cartoon will be always relevant.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Even if something was made from 100% cotton do they really use cotton thread these days? The pieces of cloth have to be sewn together and I'd bet it was all polyester thread.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

:hmmyes:

saunas saved my sanity if not my life on a rough spot. i want to build a barrel sauna

Barrel saunas are weird.

Harvia makes good wood fired uh.. heaters? Whatever "kiuas" is in English.

Prererrably make 2-3 levels of benches, the highest bench so that your head is quite close to a flat roof. That way the steam feels best. If there's too much headroom all the steam gets lost and won't hit you in a timely fashion.

I also recommend having an air vent near the floor. Air comes inside from that. Then have an adjustable air vent near roof so you can adjust the extra air circulation from closed to open if necessary.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 06:48 on May 1, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Minera posted:

is it actually worth it to buy some kind of cloth or canvas bag vs using whatever plastic or paper bags the grocery store gives you

alternatively i could buy one of the giant reusable plastic canvas bags in the store for super cheap but lol lmao (also the last one i got fell apart within weeks)

I have been using the same two cotton? (I assume they are cotton, at least they aren't plastic since they don't melt) cloth bags for 17+ years. I wash them maybe once or twice a year with other clothes.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

Ban anyone who has ever read a R*me post. It's the only way to be sure we get all the nazis out

Maybe we could invite some Russian guys over here to perform a denazification?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So what kind of life would be feasible in future? Would North Korea be a model country?

They haven't produced much CO2 emissions after fall of USSR. Their main CO2 emissions are from coal power. They don't have many cars, probably don't use much plastics because oil is expensive for them etc. They don't use fertilizers - too expensive and hard to get. Labour in fields is mostly manual. Famines keep the population numbers in check.

Or would life be even worse than in North Korea even in Western countries after poo poo really hits the fan?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

According to Wikipedia roughly 25% of the people work in agriculture in North Korea. While in USA according to FRED only 1,5% of the population work in agriculture: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/USAPEMANA

That is a massive difference. North Korea also invests heavily in military because even though they can't conquer anyone anymore, they at least seem to want to stay independent. Some source estimates 6% of people serve in the military in North Korea.

So I guess that would be one model what can happen in Western countries, when business as usual scenarios fail eventually, but nations don't. Put the majority of the people to agriculture and military, in order to grow at least some food, and keep the invaders away.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

People lived in Arrakis. How bad can the situation become on Earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Isn't the seabed currently full of microplastics? I think some article said 99% of plastics lays in bottom layers of the ocean, or the seabed. How do all the little living things cope with all the plastic?