Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Am I too late for eating plastics chat?

It's for your own health.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4928218/

quote:

Since satiety is largely due to stretch of the stomach and people tend to eat a consistent weight of food, increasing food volume and mass increases satiety. This can be achieved without increasing the calories of food by mixing food with a material that cannot be metabolized. Such a material should be inert, safe, resistant to stomach acid, lack taste, available in powder form, smooth, resistant to heat, and cost effective. Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is an ideal substance for this purpose. It is a soft plastic that is widely considered to be the most inert material known and is extremely stable. Animal feeding trials showed that rats fed a diet of 25% PTFE for 90 days had no signs of toxicity and that the rats lost weight. This article publishes the data from these subchronic animal feeding trials, reviews the relevant available literature, and hypothesizes that increasing the volume of food by mixing the food with PTFE powder at a ratio of 3 parts food to 1 part PTFE by volume will substantially improve satiety and reduce caloric consumption in people.

It's cost effective!

Cost effectiveness is the greatest assault on human life and dignity and it's the foremost metric in all decisions.

edit: Sorry, I forgot; lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Xaris posted:

need some eastern canuckadian experts to weigh in

some theories is BMAA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-Methylamino-L-alanine spread via lobster/crab. probably not a prion since those are slower

in actual unrelated news, rates of dementia and alzheimers have like doubled in the last 20 years. and no it's not "better diagnosing" as the libs love to say

Do you have a source for that?
Quick Google turned up

https://n.neurology.org/content/95/5/e519 posted:

Conclusion The incidence rate of dementia in Europe and North America has declined by 13% per decade over the past 25 years, consistently across studies. Incidence is similar for men and women, although declines were somewhat more profound in men.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

https://www.wired.com/story/the-quest-to-trap-carbon-in-stone-and-beat-climate-change/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

I can't read the article so I'm going to pretend it's building up to a vicious take down of tech based climate change solutions and not a bingo on the cspam board.

quote:

The Quest to Trap Carbon in Stone—and Beat Climate Change
On a barren lava plateau in Iceland, a new facility is sucking in air and stashing the carbon dioxide in rock. The next step: Build 10,000 more.
Climeworks' direct air capture plant, dubbed Orca, scrubs 4,000 tons of carbon per year from the air and is the largest test of the technology to date. Photograph: Tanya Houghton

It was undoubtedly the most august gathering ever convened on the uninhabited lava plains of Hellisheidi, Iceland. Some 200 guests were seated in the modernist three-story visitors’ center of a geothermal power plant—the country’s prime minister and an ex-president, journalists from New York and Paris, financiers from London and Geneva, and researchers and policy wonks from around the world. Floor-to-ceiling windows looked out on miles of moss-carpeted rock, luminously green in the September morning sunlight. Transmission towers marched away to the horizon, carrying energy from the power plant to the capital, Reykjavik, half an hour’s drive away.

Only need 10,000 of these apparently and not 10,000,00, that's heartening.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Rime posted:

This has been a top-down effort from the highest levels to lobotomize the population. Unfortunately somewhere just after the turn of the century they lost control of this particular demon and now you have a messy web of poo poo like Q starting to pop up organically. The internet grew way too fast and the rise of memetic communication introduced variables which were definitely not taken into consideration. While power-hungry state or corporate actors very interested in seizing power are still able to harness the narrative control lightning to some extent, giving us fun like Jan 6th, for the most part this systemic brainworm is fully self-propagating now.

Wouldn't this also mean that climate change activists have the same shot at influencing the narrative?
Obviously the powers that be have way more clout, but history being on our side and all that, momentum will switch at some point.

I know we won't make 2 or 3 degrees, but there'll still be a big difference between 6 or 8 degrees.
Same with all the different pollutions, we're set for grotesque amounts, but it can still end up worse or better.
And we can also influence the direction society will steer during and after the collapse.
Think of it as hospice care.

I'm trying to do stuff; writing pieces for newspapers which get rejected, making memes and an app, joining protests.
It all feels very slacktivist and propably only helps to soothe my conscious, but it's the best I can do.

I would like to be more effective though.
Does anyone have any resources on learning to influence people?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Basic Poster posted:

It's fun that sometimes there are memes and thread moments instead if just convincing ourselves of how horrible and everything is, yet.

The surgery results are pretty eye opening. I figured the mean for the year of collapse would be waaaay sooner than it was. Surprised there wasn't more votes in the 2025-2030 range.

I believe in vyelkin's post, the slow decline.
So it takes a long time to collapse and we could always turn it around.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

abrahamism is an actual death cult that views the material world as insubstantial and transitory

So does Buddhism. And they're right. And both Jesus and the Buddha taught us to be kind and contemplative and good to handle this world.
It's hardly fair to blame Jesus for what America and the world in general have done to his teachings.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

mistermojo posted:

maybe if we give them a couple of billion years they'll become sentient

Would be nice if they figured out a way to sustainably power their plastic society with the remains of dead humans.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Good news!
The UN is putting a stop to plastic pollution.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/03/1113142

Or atleast they're gonig to make a treaty by 2024.

quote:

“Today marks a triumph by planet earth over single-use plastics. This is the most significant environmental multilateral deal since the Paris accord. It is an insurance policy for this generation and future ones, so they may live with plastic and not be doomed by it.” said Inger Andersen, Executive Director of UNEP.

Oh.

Also reducing production didn't make the text, only promoting sustainable production and consumption \o/

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Fame Douglas posted:

Waging war doesn't tend to be all that eco-friendly. Don't think Putin started a war of aggression to fight climate change.

Genghis Khan graph. jpg
War is our only hope.
War and voting.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

there's already been mentions of "well maybe a bit of nuclear war would be good for the climate?" so i dunno, maybe something like a 20% drop in Number that can be directly attributed to abnormal climate events? can't really think of anything more catastrophic than that

Complete loss of all agriculture, fishing and forestry would be a 4.4% drop in worldwide gdp.
That doesn't sound too bad yet.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/article/162772/supply-chain-ukraine/

quote:

The food industry is bracing itself for supply chain disruptions in the wheat and sunflower oil sectors as the war in Ukraine continues.

Gonna play war with the kids next time it rains outside.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

SplitSoul posted:

They also get away with literally raping infants.

Beg pardon?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Hubbert posted:

Article:
disproportionately impact low income communities and people of color

Everyone trying to incite humanity to action really has to stop saying this.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's what the dinosaurs said and look what happened to them

They were clever and skipped a step

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Marcus Aurelius ' meditations

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Unless posted:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/150070/almerias-sea-of-greenhouses

Almería’s surface albedo increased by nearly 10 percent between 1983 and 2006 because of the high reflectivity of the greenhouses. They concluded this likely contributed to a cooling effect of 0.3°C (0.5°F) per decade in Almería compared to a 0.5°C increase per decade in the region.

Plastic balls will save us all yet.
They will also stop the hypercane.

Can I get a 30 day probe? This thread is great, the content addictive and the posters genuinely funny. But I'm spending too much time here. Thank you, please.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

i got these hybiscus teabags that claim no plastic on the package but if it steeps all day in my work cup and i forget to toss the bag, the bottom of the tea feels gritty...probably not plastic heh heh phew!

Who are we to say what is plastic and what is not?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Stereotype posted:

that's still Stoicism though. The solution is always to improve yourself so that you can manage your own life within your specific conditions. Accept yourself as you are and the exact nature of world around you in relationship to you, because changing anything at all about it is not just impossible but also would serve no purpose. virtue is sufficient for happiness.

This is only part of stoicism. In de meditationes every fifth sentence is how you have to work hard for your community, do your duty, make a better world.

Rather than accepting the world as is, I'd say it's about recognizing the world as it is, working towards a better one and accepting the world as it is in the moment.

Marcus Aurelius is my friend 🪿

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

corona familiar posted:

not much what's ufb with you

(probably "ultra loving bad" but swearing is banned on twitter)

Hahaha, for real?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/09/microplastic-eating-plankton-worsening-crisis-oceans-plastic-pollution

quote:

Each rotifer, named from the Latin for “wheel-bearer” owing to the whirling wheel of cilia around their mouths, can create between 348,000 and 366,000 nanoplastics – particles smaller than one micrometre – each day.

Et tu, Bdelloid?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The survival of humanity is dependent on phytoplankton continuing to produce oxygen. When you jam CO2 into the atmosphere it buffers into the surface ocean. Faster CO2 loading rates buffer more of it in the surface ocean before it has time to disperse and whoopsie you get more ocean acidification. The rates that we're doing this and causing acidification have no geological correlate in history. None. It's truly novel :)

Last I checked studies a while ago they were predicting we'd see consequences of this (regional undersaturation where carbonate or aragonite can't form) starting in the 2030s.

This planet has ways to annihilate every last mammal and we're toying around with finding out how.

Do you have a link handy? Looks pretty epic 🤩

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Abrupt onset and prolongation of aragonite undersaturation events in the Southern Ocean is the paper I'm thinking of. There's a pdf link in google scholar it looks like (a weird one that won't hotlink).

History of Seawater Carbonate Chemistry, Atmospheric CO2, and Ocean Acidification is an incredibly well written overview of the mechanism that govern ocean acidification. A very relevant passage:

Thank you.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

The nec plus ultra of the market is governments sending trillions their way.
See also every other crisis the market has caused and then solved.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

It really can't get more efficient than that, peak efficiency.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

What is the best way to spend money on a birthday gift to help mitigate collapse?
I know that we're not allowed to talk about actual solutions and I know it doesn't matter a lot, but I want to make my mom happy by planting some trees.

There are a billion organisations doing that it seems and now I'm wondering if there's something better. Can we invest in the biggest carbon capture plant the world has ever seen?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I learned recently that warmer air has a higher water saturation point, but that water content in the air isn't keeping up, in effect making the air drier.
I also learned that plants don't much care for that?

Previously I thought droughts came from disrupted weather only.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

don't worry, that just means when it does decide to rain it rains a lot harder. balance restored!

Thanks rim, you always know how to cheer me up. I love rain.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Microplastics posted:

And anyway my economic activity happens indoors so that means the sea isn't allowed to get in

Economist Nordhaus and the tide.

Don't :actually: me.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

A reminder to all my friends here: donating blood and especially plasma can reduce your pfas and presumably plastic levels.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8994130/
For the bolder ones: receiving blood will take you into the future faster.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

"Who gets the bowling ball of cold??" will be a yearly game until Arctic Sea Ice is mostly gone year round. Then the answer will be "gently caress Europe in particular" every year until most of the Greenland ice sheet goes.

Why us? :ohdear:
Is it the collapse of the Gulf Stream?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Define uninhabitable

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

There will be people floating in boats above it, going "see, it's fine"

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

But will I be ok?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

People are definitely not going to accept the death of winter (and a lot of summer, too) activities for a long* time because there will still be some good years and plenty of good days during the bad years. The only thing you really need to convince yourself that it's all fine is a few days that are, if you squint a little bit, more or less how you remember they were supposed to be.

* long being highly relative and dependent on the resilience of rich economies and their ability to continue to be capable of providing treats for anyone but the absolute upper crust

I'm going to buy all ski stations in Europa in the 2030's when you doomers and the lack of snow have wrecked them.

Then when amoc collapses five years later I'll be rolling in it.
Skiing from October to June for decades, baby.
Life will find a way.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

If things are so bad, why am I still alive?
Stupid doomers.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Children can have a little suffering, as a treat.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

bedpan posted:

my prediction is that as climate change worsens and become more obvious, continued and greater fossil fuel use will be publicly justified on the grounds of "well climate change has already happened. no reason to stop now."

quote:

In brief, the idea is that once we enter a decline phase in fossil fuel availability—first in petroleum—our growth-based economic system will struggle to cope with a contraction of its very lifeblood. Fuel prices will skyrocket, some individuals and exporting nations will react by hoarding, and energy scarcity will quickly become the new norm. The invisible hand of the market will slap us silly demanding a new energy infrastructure based on non-fossil solutions. But here’s the rub. The construction of that shiny new infrastructure requires not just money, but…energy. And that’s the very commodity in short supply. Will we really be willing to sacrifice additional energy in the short term—effectively steepening the decline—for a long-term energy plan? It’s a trap!

https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/10/the-energy-trap/

Re re repost :regd10:

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

:coal::hf::coal:

I like these bits a lot, reminds me of VBNMW/incrementalism type arguments with libs

lol yeah, for an even more crazily prescient description of Now, check out The Machine Stops, its extremely eerie

Incredible

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Does anyone else sometimes ask themselves "what if we're wrong?". What if we're just conspiracy nuts with an aggravated sense of self-importance and nothing better going on in our lives?
What if we're not careening off a cliff and this is indeed the best of all possible worlds?

I don't think it's true, but the sheer unmovingness of it all just makes me wonder sometimes. I know things do move, but we can do so much better.

Also, somewhat related, the hatred of some people against climate activists profoundly scares and saddens me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

It is instructive to read Candide to learn what it will take for all these little Panglosses to change their mind.