Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Climate contradictions key at UN talks. Less future warming projected, yet there’s more current pain
https://apnews.com/article/climate-change-emissions-extreme-weather-fossil-fuels-3355b4d2dc0d483ba7dbf582cd89f0b6

quote:

The world is heading for considerably less warming than projected a decade ago, but that good news is overwhelmed by much more pain from current climate change than scientists anticipated, experts said.

quote:

Before the Paris deal, scientists at Climate Action Tracker and the United Nations Environment Programme were projecting about 3.5 degrees Celsius (6.3 degrees Fahrenheit) of warming over pre-industrial levels based on how much carbon dioxide countries were spewing and what they planned to do about it.

That 3.5 “is totally out of the picture. It will not happen,” said NewClimate Institute scientist Niklas Hohne, who works on Climate Action Tracker. “Our number is 2.7 (4.9 degrees Fahrenheit). It could be even lower with pledges and with net zero targets.”

What a relief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

if production was lower in 1920 then this isn't unprecedented

checkmate liberals

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

i convert garbage to fertilizer so I'm doing my part

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

kater posted:

if you own an iceberg and it starts floating away do you own the sea below it?

the answer depends on how much shareholder value you create

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Truga posted:

ok, but even solar panel industry has a higher casualty count than nuclear, why is that one good and nuclear isn't?

widespread solar adoption is relatively new compared to the idiot contrarian bread and butter of making GBS threads on nuclear power

you are asking them to switch from their favorite, comfortable brand of wasting everyone's time to something else that would require work to "Um Actually" on.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

TeenageArchipelago posted:

look, we may have put off any action for so long that 1.5c is now inevitable, but trust me we'll get around to making sure that 4c is off the table

The thread was discussing this during COP26 when some people were pretending 1.5c was still possible but I really thought they'd move the goal post to 2C or 2.5C once it was obvious 1.5C is impossible but the narrative jumping straight to 4C is pretty funny.

Even that overly optimistic article I posted from some bullshit climate report generator said that things looked good because we were probably going to limit warming to less than 3.7C.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

It's time for clathrate gun control

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

vertical boreholes are often the solution to needing a bunch of land, but that doesnt solve the Tory problem.

ACs are heat pumps

also one of the cool things about climate change is it will make some winters more extreme in some places even as the planet overall heats up

um actually climate change supposedly hot but now you say cold? checkmate much?

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Time for some Reason

There Is No 1.5°C Climate Cliff: The world will not come to its end in 2030 because of climate change.
https://reason.com/2023/12/12/there-is-no-1-5c-climate-cliff/

quote:

Cambridge University climate researcher Michael Hulme forcefully rejected this kind of catastrophizing deadline-ism in his 2019 editorial in WIREs Climate Change. "The rhetoric of deadlines and 'it's too late' does not do justice to what we know scientifically about climate change," observed Hulme. "It is as false scientifically to say that the climate future will be catastrophic as it is to say with certainty that it will be merely lukewarm. Neither is there a cliff edge to fall over in 2030 or at 1.5°C of warming."

Pennsylvania State University climate researcher Michael Mann also rebuffs this kind of climate doomerism. In a post on X (formerly Twitter) Mann called out Biden's comment as "Unhelpful rhetoric, unsupported by the science. It's a continuum not a cliff." He further noted, "If we miss the 1.5C exit ramp, we still go for 1.6C exit rather than give up."

To keep the global average temperature below 1.5 C, a recent U.N. report calculated that the world must cut by 2030 its greenhouse gas emissions 43 percent below their levels in 2019. The world is very unlikely to achieve such steep cuts during the next six years. So, it is good, although not surprising, news that when the world passes through the 1.5 C target, it will not be plunging to its death over a climate cliff. The upshot is that Al Jaber, climate activists, and COP28 negotiators are pursuing a fake North Star.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

There is no Cigarette Cliff: Why my body will not cease to exist if I continue to smoke

Doctors claim that cigarettes cause cancer. One doctor even said I will no longer be around in 20 years if I continue to smoke.

Dipshit "Degree Bitch" McDickshit says "There is no science that proves that cigarettes themselves can cause a human body to vanish from the space time continuum completely."

They continue to insist that to avoid cancer I should cut my cigarette intake to net zero immediately. It is unlikely I will accomplish this.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Dec 13, 2023

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

In lusting-for-sun-degrowth news the solar maximum is picking up

#3514 fired off an X2.8 class flare on Thursday. While that is relatively low in total energy output for X class (We had 8+s in 2017) I think due to the placement of the sunspots we had a more direct hit from it than usual.

https://x.com/NWSSWPC/status/1735458356284780970?s=20

NOAA forecast is showing the multiple CMEs released by that sunspot in a relatively rapid series of 3 M class/1X class flares teaming up on us too, so I'm interested to see how bright the auroras get.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/wsa-enlil-solar-wind-prediction

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Actuary X posted:

Come on, Carrington Event 2

I think for that to happen we need one of those supposed solar maximums where the sunspots are visible with the naked eye. A low number of small spots hooking off random explosions in random directions obviously helps us avoid issues for centuries due to the accuracy required to hit a small target orbiting at 67,000 miles per hour but maybe if there were giant swarms of large spots the chances of strong, direct hits increase.

The lower the latitude of the auroras the stronger the hit was so this triple flare situation might be one of those "Auroras visible in Kentucky" type deals we have every now and then.

I'm optimistic for 2024 though.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

SniperWoreConverse posted:

There's some evidence that it's either gonna be like maybe nbd, or might continue to get tremendously worse even into 25(?). There was an eye of sauron style dark spot that was maybe 1/3 the total surface size that blasted us but it was so big it spread the energy out pretty effectively I guess.

Also they were looking at tree rings or reports from India or some poo poo and have noticed that Carringtons apparently happen pretty frequently and welp we just mostly haven't been noticing because our society hasn't been so dependant on the tech for that long. At one point undersea cables started activating themselves? That's pretty goddamn intense. It's a crapshoot if you get wrecked or not. But there are historical records of topical aurora.

That eye of sauron spot was a "Coronal Hole"
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/phenomena/coronal-holes

They do hit us with stuff but it's solar winds which are relatively light in comparison.

The destabilized areas on the surface that generate the flares/coronal mass ejections are what pick up during the solar maximums. So the sun could potentially be covered by them at some point which means more explosions and more hits. I think there are historical reports from centuries ago where people noticed visual changes in the appearance of the sun from the earth but before Carrington and modern infrastructure we wouldn't have really noticed anything was happening other than auroras from the hits.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Glass won't cease to exist abruptly one day so I don't know why we are worried about it at all to be honest

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Argentum posted:

But i thought we planned to limit increases to 1.5°C?? drat!!!! better luck next time!

It's okay. That paper must be wrong. We have until 2030 to start reducing emissions so that by 2050 we are net zero and avoid 1.5c

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

After a terrible year of climate news, here are 5 reasons to feel positive
https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/23/climate/climate-five-reasons-positive-intl/index.html

quote:

#1 A surge in renewable energy
#2 A climate deal that targets fossil fuels
#3 Plummeting deforestation in Brazil
#4 The ozone layer is healing well
#5 Electric vehicle sales surge

What a relief

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

It’s pretty interesting that we would literally cook the planet with waste heat, even if we used fully RE tech, and even at a modest 1% growth in output globally. About four centuries until boiling oceans, the world naturally being less habitable long before that happens.

just invent space elevators and send the energy down through them while all of the heat generating stuff stays in space, duh

we are all about practical solutions in this thread

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

lets all burn piles of styrofoam to stick it to the man who is trying to force us to eat bugs and not have freedom

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Potato Salad posted:

It would also be loving incredible for our economy

but no we can't have that

The issue with that is it would be good for society in general and a long term view of the economy ...which isn't how we do things

Universal healthcare would be extremely transformative and a dramatic force for good for the economy, saving hundreds of thousands of lives and lifting millions out of pain and misery on top of massive increases to quality of life for everyone. However, the people who are entrenched in the current economy that own things and profit from the way things are pay to maintain the status quo. The entire concept of government is owned.

We are going to keep doing exactly what we are doing.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Paradoxish posted:

I've said before that I have family friends in Florida who live in a condo complex that suffered from relatively minor but still serious nuisance flooding when they moved in, although the previous owners and complex as a whole more or less actively conspired to hide that information. The situation has gotten continually worse to the point that portions of the parking lot are now unusable on perfectly clear, sunny days and multiple units likely have meaningful water damage.

Are people fleeing in droves? No, not really. The biggest issues are still only affecting a relatively small number of units, so surely someone will do something before this problem affects me.

I've had the "Al Gore said florida was supposed to be underwater by now :smug:" thrown at me for so many years it's neat to see changes like this

Recently some conservative contractors came in to my facility and were ranting about liberals and government control and the one that knows me started the florida line for like the 10th time in 5 years. I replied "Well it's working on it."

"What do you mean?"
"Gore was a little sensationalist but time progresses right. Streets are flooding more regularly."
"Streets always flooded in Florida"
"Not like this. Also look up the changes in rip tides and waves on both coasts. This is all due to small-over-time increases in ocean depth. 1/8th of an inch every year adds up."
*uncomfortable silence*
"Well the buildings were supposed to be under the waves by now. Not some high tide bullshit."

So as long as skyscrapers still see the light climate change is not real

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Dec 30, 2023

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

light gets at least 600 feet into the ocean so the submerged skyscrapers will always see light, even in your most failbrained doomer predictions

Checkmate

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

yeah snow crabs are fucken gone man

10 billion "missing" (lol) in 2022

snow crab season has been cancelled for three years in a row.

the most recent comprehensive population data is actually from late 2022. i'm sure things didn't get much worse last year, now to take a large sip of crab juice while i look at ocean temperatures in 2023...

I got into this argument a couple months ago. Someone I know didn't believe that the crab seasons had been cancelled or that the crab populations were critical.

They were concerned for a few minutes before they dug up crabs dying in the 1980s proving this is a natural, repeatable event. One variety of crab recently showed signs of recovery too.

No need to be a doomer about natural crab death.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Confusedslight posted:

This climate breakdown seems concerning. Somebody should look into it.

maybe you haven't heard that we just opened the world's largest carbon capture plant in Iceland

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

also don't forget that by 2040 the New York Pension Fund will only invest in Net* Zero** Carbon*** Entities****

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

If 2040 is a little too far out then by 2030 half of all cars in the US being sold every year will be electric

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Wakko posted:

i meant to post the other day cause it seems like we got some fresh faces here and since hansen alludes to it:

"the last time the atmospheric CO₂ amounts were this high was more than 3 million years ago, when temperature was 2°–3°C (3.6°–5.4°F) higher than during the pre-industrial era, and sea level was 15–25 meters (50–80 feet) higher than today."

the official position of NOAA is that accounting for only CO2 there is already no way to avoid 2 - 3C. obviously that's pretty good, but we really want to hit 6C asap so we can show those stupid cyanobacteria that their "great" dying wasn't poo poo

Maybe you missed that congressional hearing where a smug politician destroys John Kerry with the fact that if carbon levels were high in the past that disproves climate change is man made ergo vis a vis

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

thats a pretty good origin story to go with all of the anime villain monologues

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

It's funny there were years of smug posts on these forums about how RCP 8.5 was impossible and that the Paris Accords would limit us to <1.5c because we couldn't even say something like 2c+ was plausible with any legitimacy and only lunatics would talk about such wild off the cuff apolaclyptic doomsday scenarios not backed by any science smart people would believe in

Now Obama is talking about how we should try and limit the temperature increase to 2.5c-3c and the bar has been set at "Well we can limit the disaster more than zero amount" and nitpicking over the methodology and premise of RCP 8.5 even though we are headed right for the temperature ranges outlined by it.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

that's the yuppie move

you need to be buying old, cheap and dead expanses of farmland once they die and start constructing subterranean housing

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

eat poo poo, corn

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You posted spot readings from one site without any consideration of the sort of variability these individual sites have. It's meaningless. Methane continues to increase to unprecedented levels, it doesn't explain the recent SST increases. This graph doesn't do anything special when global SSTs began diverging:

The clathrates are still there ready to pop off.

Just because we're barreling down the path toward eradicating most multicellular life from the planet doesn't mean that every Guy Mcpherson-tier claim of made up poo poo is true.

your planet can have a little methane, as a treat

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

The thing you learn about The Official Threads in certain subforums is that they don't exist to provide The Real Discussion or anything and their primary purpose is to present a very specific narrative that is comforting to the people who post there.

"Levity and Catharsis" go against the point of the discussion which is to pretend things are fine and good.

Same reason jokes about one political party have also been thrown into this subforum as it's been aggressively banned everywhere else.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Jan 13, 2024

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

500excf type r posted:

It's called the Oregon Trail generation

I did regularly shoot 2,000lbs of wildlife while knowing my carrying capacity was only 200lbs

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

"we'll find a way" gets used so much because it's impossible to conclusively disprove until the disaster is undeniable. Vaguely pointing to the future and saying "The solution could happen" isn't really something you can take away from people so a lot of them like to draw a line there and setup shop.

I mean you can argue all day about the scope of climate change and what will be happening in the future but that line can always be "Yes, we had a worldwide famine that killed a billion people, but this just means that we are more motivated to fix the problem. Here are theories and projections about new technology. We'll find a way"

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

The emergency was that the hole was spreading and we could lose so much of it we would have drastic impacts to the global population

We banned the stuff murdering it before it got that bad, so we won

No further questions

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

:thunk:

https://www.thecooldown.com/outdoors/kelp-forest-restoration-california-sea-urchin-dive/

quote:

DIVERS ARMED WITH HAMMERS SPARK HOPE IN EFFORTS TO SAVE KELP FORESTS: ‘IT’S ECOLOGICALLY SANCTIONED MAYHEM’

I guess we are at the point of biosphere collapse where we need to go around beating the poo poo out of invasive species with hammers

quote:

“If you’re angry, it’s a cathartic way to get it all out.”

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

The more scientists study Greenland, the worse its ice melt looks
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/scientists-study-greenland-worse-ice-melt-looks-rcna134261

quote:

“Current consensus estimates of ice-sheet mass balance have underestimated recent mass loss from Greenland by as much as 20%,” the study’s authors wrote. In recent decades, almost every Greenland glacier has thinned or retreated.

Well that's just Greenland. I didn't see anything about Iceland so we are fine.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I guess a significantly larger melting than we predicted would explain the way the ocean level rise is accelerating and not adhering to that dumbass "By 2100" poo poo

quote:

The rate of sea level rise has accelerated over the years:
1900–2000: Global sea level rose by 0.05–0.07 inches (1.2–1.7 millimeters) per year.
1990s: The rate increased to 3.2 millimeters per year.
2013–2022: The rate accelerated to 4.62 millimeters per year.

Luckily as Bjorn Lomborg would put it, there is less Ice melting every year

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

that's basically how our current modeling works so go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

my apocalypse plan is to create a society of hill people who stick to a subsistence lifestyle in inhospitable mountainous regions hunting down bunker vents and making GBS threads in them. Make a whole religion about it. The most decorated members of society are those who poop the most vents.