Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

i haven't looked into it but i'm going to go ahead and assume that Ocean Plastic™ is a scam somehow

it's just greenwashing. they mix 10% ocean-derived plastic with 90% plastic that was "intercepted" from going into the ocean, which can mean anything from plastic fished out of a river to a plate you put in a normal trashcan 10 miles inland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
taking bets now on which country will achieve dominance over the newly habitable Antarctic landmass

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
at the very least, the Nature Climate Change paper that article is based on seems to have been written by climate scientists. I read it as them saying "listen we have to stop softpedaling this poo poo or we're definitely hosed". Can't get access to the article proper, Nature loves having an imprint for every loving discipline but my library doesn't have subs to half of them. But yeah that's not how the rest of the world's gonna receive or understand that.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
it does not feel very good to know the simple fact of my continuing existence in human civilization is contributing to making the Earth uninhabitable

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
covering myself with bdelloid larva because i have the strength to do what my father couldn't to keep humanity on the Carbon Path

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
flat earth is mostly dead as a fringe theory, i'm going to replace it with one that says fossil fuel products are the geologically processed plastic waste from earlier cycles of human civilization

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYNKW_w95lA An interesting video on how compatible sails are with modern freight shipping. tl;dr they work and can save 5-10% of fuel costs, but deck space is at a super premium and retrofit costs would fall on the ship's owner, not the people who charter the vessel. so, uptake's limited, because everyone just charters the ships that didn't install a big rotor or fin or whatever on their deck. Some of the tech he talks about we've had for literally 100 years already!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
imo the thing to stockpile isn't perishable foods but things that would be incredibly hard to get in your local area - equipment and tools, chemicals, poo poo like that. also you'll never use it, it'll just be bethesda-tier environmental storytelling for when someone finds your skeleton among the rusted-to-dust remains and sells your waterlogged textbooks for a handful of caps

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i will resuscitate the ancient and dark knowledge of FORTRAN

why would you do that to yourself, even the performance obsessed physics modelers are fine with modern Fortran

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
"Don't give up even if you fail" is certainly a valuable lesson to keep in mind, but when the human brain short-circuits that concept into "it's okay to fail", we've got a problem! And that's what happens EVERY TIME, so why are we acting like we'll do any differently for climate?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
coating my dick in sawdust and pine tar to start my daily fire

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
are those bitumen replacements for asphalt production any good? even if we switch our cars over to run on biofuels, will we have roads to drive on after we can't get more bitumen?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Ruggan posted:

Calculating standard deviations using a sample size of 30 years always seemed suspect to me with these posts. There’s unquestionably bad things happening, but to use this to say it’s a “1 in X chance” is dumb.

I do have questions about how it's being calculated. Is it just assuming the values for each day constitute a normal distribution of values? Calculating a standard deviation in that respect isn't... wrong, exactly, but it does mean that any day-to-day comparison of the standard deviations doesn't necessarily mean what it looks like, because these are correlated values. That is, if yesterday we had a value that spiked to 6 sigma, then we are basically guaranteed to have a 6 sigma spike the next day as well, because climate doesn't turn on a dime. It's still a 6 sigma deviation, but it's one we could reasonably have expected. I'm not saying it's WRONG to do it this way, because the "right" way to do it would require access to supercomputers that a retired math prof in his spare time doesn't have. Just that, the interpretation gets a little tricky.

Caveat: I have some light to moderate training in statistics but little formal math training. I'm probably talking out my rear end.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

To support responsible deployment of Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Sequestration (CCUS), the Forest Service is proposing an amendment to its regulations at 36 CFR 251.54 -- Proposal and Application Requirements and Procedures to allow exclusive or perpetual right of use or occupancy (36 CFR 251.54(e)(1)(iv)) of National Forest System (NFS) lands for CCUS. This proposed rulemaking would amend initial screen criteria in existing regulations to allow for permanent carbon dioxide sequestration on NFS lands to support CCUS-related activities and will help meet the Administration's priority of tackling the climate crisis.
Can't find a link to any more detail than this. From https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=202304&RIN=0596-AD55

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ece3.5236
hosed up

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
For shits and giggles I went back and looked at the IPCC AR4, which was the hot new poo poo when I was in undergrad. The impression I got from climate experts at the time was "well these other scenarios we're presenting are REALLY bad, so SURELY we'll find a way to avoid those in the next decade". So I was kinda curious how that stood up almost 20 years later.

quote:

Figure 10.4. Multi-model means of surface warming (relative to 1980–1999) for the scenarios A2, A1B and B1, shown as continuations of the 20th-century simulation. Values beyond 2100 are for the stabilisation scenarios (see Section 10.7). Linear trends from the corresponding control runs have been removed from these time series. Lines show the multi-model means, shading denotes the ±1 standard deviation range of individual model annual means. Discontinuities between different periods have no physical meaning and are caused by the fact that the number of models that have run a given scenario is different for each period and scenario, as indicated by the coloured numbers given for each period and scenario at the bottom of the panel. For the same reason, uncertainty across scenarios should not be interpreted from this figure (see Section 10.5.4.6 for uncertainty estimates).

And an explanation of the scenarios they're plotting:

quote:

A2. The A2 storyline and scenario family describes a very heterogeneous world. The underlying theme is self reliance and preservation of local identities. Fertility patterns across regions converge very slowly, which results in continuously increasing population. Economic development is primarily regionally oriented and per capita economic growth and technological change more fragmented and slower than other storylines.

quote:

A1. The A1 storyline and scenario family describes a future world of very rapid economic growth, global population that peaks in mid-century and declines thereafter, and the rapid introduction of new and more efficient technologies. Major underlying themes are convergence among regions, capacity building and increased cultural and social interactions, with a substantial reduction in regional differences in per capita income. The A1 scenario family develops into three groups that describe alternative directions of technological change in the energy system. The three A1 groups are distinguished by their technological emphasis: fossil intensive (A1FI), non fossil energy sources (A1T), or a balance across all sources (A1B) (where balanced is defined as not relying too heavily on one particular energy source, on the assumption that similar improvement rates apply to all energy supply and end use technologies).

quote:

The B1 storyline and scenario family describes a convergent world with the same global population, that peaks in mid-century and declines thereafter, as in the A1 storyline, but with rapid change in economic structures toward a service and information economy, with reductions in material intensity and the introduction of clean and resource efficient technologies.
The emphasis is on global solutions to economic, social and environmental sustainability, including improved equity, but without additional climate initiatives.

quote:

The constant composition commitment is the remaining climate change that would result if atmospheric composition, and hence radiative forcing, were held fixed at a given value. It results from the thermal inertia of the ocean and slow processes in the cryosphere and land surface.

Honestly even the A2 scenario seems WAY too optimistic in hindsight. And the way they don't even bother plotting the A2 scenario past 2100 is :discourse: And the way that the A1 scenario bakes in an assumption that our population will peak mid-century seems very optimistic.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Puppy Burner posted:

Prediction: designer plastic, high emissions to produce, breaks down extremely rapidly

If it's the same poo poo that the Nighthawkinlight and Tech Ingredients channels have been playing with the last couple months, it might be a more exotic heavy metal compound or it could be just calcium carbonate. The gist of it is that if you get enough of the right kind of chemical in the right spot, you can preferentially emit infrared light in a wavelength that passes right through the atmosphere.

It's pretty neat, but also LMFAO it's not scalable at all. It's so fragile that Nighthawk has to put it behind a plastic film to protect it and it only works to dump heat to space if it has, you know, a line of sight to space.

fake edit: oops beaten

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can't post this without overlaying actual surface warming so we can guess which path we're following

Yeah fair point. I'm at work so I don't have the resources to make it but A Bad King's mockup actually looks decent. We're just shy of 1C at 2023 and the mockup looks like it projects out to like 2030, but the trend looks where it needs to be.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So giant white dome cities are the future?

dome cities or every building is constructed so there's a huge 45 degree slope that's your cooling surface.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

RIP Syndrome posted:

So when the ice is gone (or more gone, I guess) we can just paint over the bald spots with this stuff and it'll be even better? Hell yeah

it'll work great for about six months until biofilm buildup and environmental debris and animal damage prevent you from emitting efficiently in the wavelength band you need for cooling

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
[COLLAPSE] hooting and hollering (none of my co-workers understand)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

kater posted:

I don’t follow why I can’t dump heat into my neighbors house

Oh, nothing's stopping you. It just keeps the heat in the Earth's system. If all you want to do is keep a structure cool, it shouldn't matter if you're pointed at space or a tree 100 feet away.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Stereotype posted:

shooting a high intensity IR laser into space wouldn't work because it would dissipate most of its energy just into the atmosphere. you'd have to get the energy to power the laser up near space first somehow, maybe with a huge fleet of balloons. too bad americans hate balloons

not if you shoot it through the infrared window

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
im sure the invisible hand of the market will slap Shell down for its mutiny

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Zeta Taskforce posted:

First, the Phoenix metro area is pushing 5 million. It is not going to stop existing.
It'll stop existing soon enough, on the track we're on now. Eventually even a lot of money won't keep the heat at bay and people will leave.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Hogweed's loving spooky. The active compounds that make them harmful are furanocoumarins:

quote:

Many furanocoumarin compounds are toxic. The phytochemicals enter the nucleus of epithelial cells and form a bond (crosslinking) with the DNA when exposed to UV, which causes cell death and causes inflammation via activation of the arachidonic acid cascade. The result is known as phytophotodermatitis, a serious skin inflammation.[4]

So like. Not only do you have the regular UV-derived skin damage, you've got shitloads of chemical adducts on top of that. Pure death for a cell. Furanocoumarins are also the active ingredient in grapefruit juice that screws up your CYPs. Systemically, grapefruit juice has a half-life of... loosely about 12 hours, looks like? I have no idea what the half-life of dermally exposed furanocoumarins would be; the peak in photosensitivity seems to be in the several-hour range but you can be sensitive for up to several days.

I give anything with white flower canopies a VERY wide berth even if it's only waist height.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Just realized - more heat in crop-growing areas probably means striga is happier. Striga is a heinous plant parasite whose seeds lay dormant in soil for years until they sense a plant root growing nearby, at which point they germinate and parasitize the root. Crop losses out the rear end, it's an enormous drain on agricultural output. It's one of the reasons USA customs is so hardass about seeds getting into the country, the only reason it's not a huge problem here is because we spent fucktons of money eliminating it in the 1950s after it was accidentally introduced.

quote:

Temperatures ranging from 30 to 35 °C (86 to 95 °F) in a moist environment are ideal for germination.[10] Witchweed will not develop in temperatures below 20 °C (68 °F). Agricultural soils with a light texture and low nitrogen levels tend to favor development.[20] Still, witchweed has demonstrated a wide tolerance for soil types if soil temperatures are favorably high.[5]

so like. gently caress us, i guess. on top of all the environmental damage that global warming will cause to crops, we might be making it easier for parasites to grow and spread on them! fun times.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Good folk, my proposal is thus: plant a trillion trees, harvest them, and sink them to the bottom of the ocean. There, we use the trees to build underwater habitats to house miners who will drill for even more oil on the seabed!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
As hosed as everything is, I think we're still a very long way out from "someone will eat my dog if I'm not looking". There are way more immediate and pressing things to worry about than something that would require a Mad Max-esque total collapse before it happens.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

even that "we change nothing" scenario seems kinda optimistic, Climate Action Tracker

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
humanity's collective shrug at climate change will be an interesting thesis project for an anthropology student five hundred years from now once we've rebuilt enough to have academics again. assuming any of our records from now survive worth a drat, the only stuff they might have is whatever unencrypted tape archives and doc boxes they pull out of centuries-abandoned mines

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
eventually they'll make it illegal to protest outside the houses of higher income brackets just like they did SCOTUS judges

lol they probably all live in gated communities anyway, you'll get hauled off for "trespassing"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

mags posted:

oh dang they have a gate let’s go home

for the sake of sanity I'm pretending that they'd only be protesting peacefully

Puppy Burner posted:

>500

lol, buddy where do you think the carbon is going to go in 500 years? congrats to reptiles, insects, and plants tho

lol yeah, true. i tried to triangulate between "how long will the Bad Times last" and "will anything from now survive by then" and in the face of madness I gave up and chose a biggish number

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
it only took us, what, 50,000 years to bounce back from a bottleneck of a couple thousand individuals to current day levels? climate apocalypse might destroy global civilization but maybe we'll balance out around a medieval era tech, surface-fuel life growing neocorn in Finland or something

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I think I know what the answer is, but are there any plans to mitigate the environmental catastrophe from the ocean overwhelming miles of inland human settlements? All the landfills, the sewer systems, the industrial sites, the houses and retail stores, just enormous piles of toxic bullshit suddenly subjected to tidal forces?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

It feels like we've essentially gotten to the point where the only way out is the libertarian dream that the free market will provide a magic tech solution. Like Elon Musk has to come up with a carbon capture ray gun or something.

Aerogel will save us. It's 99% air by volume, which includes the carbon dioxide. You cast the Aerogel into a brick, coat it in an air-tight layer, and then you can use it in construction! Boom, carbon capture AND a strong new building material!

I will not be taking question from the audience.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

A Bad King posted:

Yes you will! I thought aerogel was toxic?
It's just air, air isn't toxic. Press conference adjourned!

cat botherer posted:

Aerogel is awesome. I've got some winter boots with aerogel insulation. They're the first boots to keep my toes warm when sedentary in extreme cold, not that that's a problem I've had a lot lately.

I actually had no idea it was in any consumer products! That's neat. For some reason I assumed it was still in the "only NASA can afford it in large volumes" stage.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

mags posted:

sitting in a furnace and turning it up a degree a minute to train my body like I’m goku in a gravity chamber

hyperbolic time chamber hyperbaric oven chamber

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i love that human technology gives us such a historically unprecedented detailed view into exactly how we're loving ourselves over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Just a Moron posted:

Those fuckers are going to evolve thumbs and then it's over for every body.

https://phys.org/news/2023-07-phylogenetic-analysis-fully-aquatic-mammals.html

quote:

Taking a closer look, the researchers found that there appears to be a threshold that, once passed, prevents a marine species from evolving back into a terrestrial species. They note that when land animals take to the sea, they undergo significant physical changes, such as an increase in size, which helps to retain heat in the cold water. They also note that most creatures that returned to the sea became carnivores. The study included only mammals; thus, differences might exist for other types of creatures.

In my experience nothing in biology is truly impossible as long as it doesn't like, break physics or something. But it does seem like a pretty big barrier.