Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I watched part of "Nature Abhors a Dome". Very good! Definitely does a good job laying out the intractable problems we face in fixing climate in the present day.

Lol that people were running the totals in the 1890s to determine that carbon dioxide would eventually kill us all and they were 100% correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Microplastics posted:

That's why they made the flag on the moon flutter

They could have just used a stiff piece of cardboard but legally they had to make it flutter with a fan, so the conspiracy theorists had a clue to go on

The top of the flag had an extendable metal pole running along the top so it would display straight but it didn't extend fully, hence why it is visibly crinkled/the wrong aspect ratio for a proper US flag :eng101:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They stopped making my favorite cookies years ago. The world can take a leap as far as I'm concerned! :mad:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

shart attack posted:

i'm looking forward to the end of hellworld and the return of shellworld and all those without exoskeletons will perish

Bad news about ocean acidification...

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

If sea level rise is enough of a concern on its own couldn’t we just dig a big hole and let the ocean fill it up- essentially diverting water to land a la Atlantropa or the Qattara Depression project? How many cubic miles of water would we actually need to remove from circulation to keep the level of the ocean as is or restore to ~1900 levels?

It wouldn’t do anything to remove the energetic potential of storms but it could lessen the surge etc and save coastal cities :shrug:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Just imagine a fleet of Bagger 288s with giant snorkels scooping up the ocean floor and dumping it in the middle of the Sahara Desert, working furiously against time

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Unlimited cheap energy would be cool but it doesn't do anything to curb overuse and exhaustion of other resources. A nuclear powered throwaway society is still a throwaway society

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

"Wet bulb" temperatures are some stupid bullshit. Good luck getting any lay person to understand what that's about, including me! Just say how hot it is in the actual temperature! :mad:

And I'm not talking about fake temperature like humidex and windchill

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

The CEO of Hans Brinker & Co. rubs his hands together menacingly

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Somehow a determination was made that a mysterious factory in Asia had either restarted or never stopped production of classic CFCs

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Doomr

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Dumping their rear end for caring but in the wrong way, I admire the commitment to leftist organizational behavior :hmmyes:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Labor project costs in Germany have increased considerably since the early 1940s and economists cannot figure out why

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

We itt are as culpable as anyone who doesn't give a poo poo as long as we participate, willing or not, in this system that has selfish overconsumption built right in :v:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They're going from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned office, you need something warm to take the chill off your bones

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

This past month I've been periodically googling "Phoenix weather" to see their current temperature and forecast and it's pretty consistently 20 degrees celsius above what I'm experiencing

I literally cannot imagine living somewhere that hot. Dying in a place that hot however is altogether too easy to imagine

e: 100+ people have already died in Arizona this year from the heat... that's pretty bleak :(

Dokapon Findom has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Aug 16, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

skooma512 posted:

Traffic that was caused intentionally for nonsense reasons, it was the freedom trucker convoy they were reacting to specifically.

There's no such thing as being "stuck in traffic"- you ARE traffic.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Wholly unsurprising for Air Canada ngl

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Actuary X posted:

I was assured that soylent will come in a variety of colors and, hopefully, flavors

The thing that stuck with me most when watching Soylent Green (already knowing its secret) was the fact that Soylent Green itself is claimed as being made from plankton in the ocean; the whole movie revolves around the fact that the oceans are now too dead to harvest even this in any quantity, and we never find out whether it was initially plankton then switched, or was always made of people.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

really getting sick of these lockdowns

It's these dang rich men north of Richmond if you get my meaning(s) :heritage: :heritage: :heritage:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

kaxman posted:

We cleared malaria out of the us once but I bet we can't do it again like have you seen the CDC lately

Pretty sure the original eradication of bedbugs in the United States was due to use of DDT, the lack of which today is why we are seeing bedbugs resurgent. I wonder how big a role DDT played in removing malaria as a threat.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I know someone in Kelowna, currently on vacation and they are flying back to Vancouver today with the intention of driving home :stare:

They've assured us they'll be fine because they're in the southern part of town, and the fire would have to go through the town to get to them (impossible, right?). Thing is there's no rain in the forecast and winds are gusting south- also I'm not sure what road they think they'll be taking in to town...

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Vegas is flooding, that should take care of the drought

Is it or are they just flooding the storm sewer to get rid of the people living there as they do periodically

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I don't get what the big deal is about microplastics tbh. It seems like just the idea of plastic in our bodies is more upsetting to people than the actual physiological impact of it

Macroplastics or whatever you'd call them are bad enough, gumming up the food chain, filling up birds stomachs so they starve etc.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

sitchensis posted:

you’re not wrong. the fires have been bigger, lasted longer, and gotten much hotter than what many of the ecosystems are adapted for

there are parts of Australia where the wildfires burned in 2019/2020 that have not recovered at all even though the ecosystems were thought to be able to handle wildfires. the damage was just too extreme.
Part of the issue is soil microbes- soil is basically a living thing and if you heat it too much- say, by using steam to eliminate a termite mound- you can turn productive soil into dead earth and it can take 10-12 years before anything will grow as before

1glitch0 posted:

I remember as a kid I was scared to live near those big electricity towers that everyone said would give you cancer and I believed if I just avoided those I was safe in the world.

lol what a dumb baby dipshit rube.
*throws up cellular infrastructure every place it can fit* No no these ones are good

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

On Deadly Ground is the environmental magnum opus of our time

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I was in the south Pacific earlier this year and the weather is apparently usually pretty rainy but it rained exactly once, for like five minutes, the entire time I was there (I guess this is El Nino???). On this one atoll there was a shallow lagoon between motus that literally felt like a hot tub and it was kind of a mindfuck knowing that 1) that's all it takes to kill all the coral around me and 2) it's going to get even hotter as time goes on

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Onsen Earth

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

That is one hot planet

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

That 8.5 thing seemed optimistic to me honestly

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Wet bulb? How about bringing back INCANDESCENT bulb, geniuses!! :mad:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Even people who believed in this poo poo before it started happening are still on an 80 year timeline for when it’s not too late to start doing anything about it, which in human planning context means it can be business as usual for the next 79 years

Things needed to change 50 years ago; by the time non-oil scientists started noticing the warming trend in the late 80s our goose was already literally being cooked. The warming we are seeing now was locked in a long time ago (though I’m thinking contemporary methane releases such as the nordstream pipeline sabotage are having a more immediate impact like we are seeing this year); wild to consider exactly what it means that the weather 50 years from now will be the result of greenhouse emissions today.

Dokapon Findom has issued a correction as of 13:13 on Aug 24, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

It's just amazing that we seem to be going from global warming just being noticed to it ending everything within one lifetime

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

When I first saw the RCP stuff I was like oh you mean a rise of 8.5 degrees Celsius? And they're like no it's some other bullshit. lol, lmao good luck guys with your bullshit math that is way underestimating all of this poo poo, and optimistic models that reflect a child's understanding of Earth systems all of this has been such a big help :jerkbag:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

bedpan posted:

absolutely. I think about this one a lot

Tbh I don't think celsius vs. fahrenheit is anywhere close to the hinge point of failure for convincing Americans to take personal action on climate. There's foundational understandings that are just altogether missing including why exactly it's bad that the Earth is warming in the first place or at such a rate or why it's different from known changes in the past

Fahrenheit is a meaningless joke of a scale though, I think using it is more of a factor in creating a fantasy world for those people to live in and not change than international scientists doing the reporting in the correct scale :colbert:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Trabisnikof posted:

It’s hot out so im going to sit in my car idling enjoying the AC

Anyone else remember the Mercedes-Benz commercial from a couple years back which was touting remote start explicitly as a means to cool the car down fully before getting in

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

For mere comfort, mind you- these are the kinds of sacrifices people just aren't willing to make. I just roll down the window in the summer and tough it out for the less than five actual minutes of driving it takes for the engine and air to fully heat up in winter

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

My policy is to assume Jeff isn't specifically aware of anything and that the psycho who has been permabanned twice was posting in bad faith

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

What even is the green bug thing??? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Doesn't seem like a problem tbh, there are lots of animals that have been evolutionarily stagnant for millions of years. It's not like thawing out a super contagious plague bacteria