Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
the dataset simply isn't large enough. No one here would say that we haven't done a really good job at skewing the data, but on a long enough timeline surely the planet has heated and cooled various times, and our efforts will amount to nothing other than a notable blip in the history of mass extinctions. The rate at which we've accomplished our goals is impressive but if you've purposely selected data from a specific time period when we already know things are changing then you don't really have the true mean and calculating any standard deviation from that mean is not about probability any more but volatility. And it's getting volatile much faster than expected, but it's really not that bad yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i believe we're being drained of our resources by the annanaki who live on the moon

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
everyone should bury their heads in the soil and exhale deeply

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
there's still reasons to be optimistic if you're a cannibal. Think of all the slow-cooked free range meats that are soon to hit the market.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
dunno what y'all are talking about but I'm pretty sure at the community and individual level you look out for your friends and don't treat them as a resource to be exploited for profit as we do at a macro level.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

quote:

the state of our oceans is supported by
theguardian.org

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Microplastics posted:

"roughly comparable" doing a lot of heavy lifting i'm willing to wager.

quote:

If using public transport, the average is 34 square kilometres in America versus 63 square kilometres in Europe.

roughly comparable may as well mean they are both numbers

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
it's not bad until we start converting subway tunnels into housing

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

bl1ndsight posted:

one of the few decent books by a human.

see i fuckin warned you about moon ananaki

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
im working on making it so the seeds can only grow when sprayed with company approved chemicals

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
what if we just put like a big trench in the middle of each lane of the road and we have to connect our exhausts to an emission funnel system that pipes all that waste back into the earth or something

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
getting close to the end of the mass extinctions book,. gonna read vollmann's climate change stuff after. A++ thank you thread

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
many posts to read but wanted to say i'm like 30 pages into "carbon ideologies" and I think vollmann is awesome

swamp thong has issued a correction as of 11:23 on Dec 5, 2023

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Stereotype posted:

I’m declaring myself a net negative carbon emitter right now by putting a very large negative number in my table of carbon emissions and not explaining it.

i thought you died of malaria, good to see you

sincerely,
mayor dave's office

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
for every degree of warming, i turn my aircon down 3

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i will never stop pressing the dispense treat button

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i ended up watching how to blow up a pipeline and thought it was entertaining and appreciated that nothing changed in the end

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i'm having enough kids to rule my local municipality. I've chosen our home based on low birth rates and aging demographics my kids will grow strong and expand northward, i have been diligently working on a manifesto that lays out the plan in excruciating detail. I have read this thread from end to end and now have the end date locked down on modern civilization. If you're just now having sex, you're already too late but swear fealty to me and your babies will lead an honest life toiling in the plastic fields or ethically and sustainably working the boomer kill floor, you also get to wear your recycled polyester Hawaiian shirt on casual fridays. For those who have been selfless and empathetic enough to not have their junk work, i and my megalomans thank you

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
microplastics are over once the oceans are boiling

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
hotsprings eternal

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
keep it up and maybe we can beat our own expectations

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
record mild lmao

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
mid winter is now mid af

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
the democrats will put sunglasses on the planet

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
I'm going to keep spraying my boost oxygen cans into the atmosphere

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
I disagree, proud to announce I dispose all my cigarette butts thoughtfully, returning them to nature. I put immense effort into this, sometimes I will smoke a whole pack just to finish a mural of a baby being strangled by a diesel engine

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Decent article from Jonathon Porritt. https://www.jonathonporritt.com/mainstream-climate-science-the-new-denialism/

Going by the scale of the temperature anomalies we're observing I'm inclined to say that mainstream scientists have been climate deniers all along.

you gotta estimate conservatively or you will be on the wrong side of being wrong

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
even the planet is becoming sterile

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
love to be spitroasted by something the circumference of earth

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
im giving the ocean electroconvulsive therapy by throwing my batteries in there as we speak

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
hello

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i just asked my ai how much energy its wasting talking to me and it told me that it consumed four to five times the amount of energy as i would have wasted doing the same thing with google search, so i think everything's gonna be ok

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Hubbert posted:

ask the AI how to make a better coastal protection sand dune

its answer said i should limit human disturbance so kill the rich i guess

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
thank you to everyone who put their icecubes in the ocean this week, you are making a positive difference for fisheries

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
"they'll have to pry my air conditioning from my 16 degrees celsius hands"
-CEO of some oil company probably

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
we need to take the biosphere down with us. I don't want to risk being mocked by aliens or future squidmen.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
There's definitely something to be said for the meekness of climate science in the face of almost certain doom and that something is drat it's good to be enjoying the last sweet treats

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
Motivating collective action by not flushing the toilet.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
making my rear end clap with a lead based snack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i'm really glad that there's nothing i could do personally that would make any difference. all that is asked of me is i keep generating value for shareholders and i can enjoy just a little bit of treats