Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/dnystedt/status/1442283588477591554?s=20
https://twitter.com/dnystedt/status/1442284456492998670?s=20

Well that's not something I expected to see happen this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

7 degrees of warming my god, it’s no wonder the media just doesn’t report on anything but 1.5

At my job we have a short-hand phrase for a strategy to avoid any accountability where you intentionally set an objective that people generally believe is impossible so that you always talk about how you're not going to succeed at that but no one really cares because they knew it was impossible all along and at the same time, you suck all the air out of the room to talk about what the hell is actually happening because you've eaten every status report and meeting on talking about why the impossible objective you set isn't on track.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

vote for me. Supported by the FashForward party, the progressive, nice fascism you love, with a hard core for the hard liners.

Seattle's next mayor agrees

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

a few weeks ago someone itt pointed out that ecoterrorism has already begun, just in the opposite direction of what we all expected

Record number of environmental activists murdered
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58508001

It's just coming out of a bit of a lull, been going on for centuries

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

it's how Lundberg Farms in California grows rice

Their rice is really good ngl

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Narrator: They did nothing about it.

The Gang Collapses Society

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stereotype posted:

my favorite part of covid was when every grocery store simultaneously banned reusable bags for no discernable reason at all.

It's because exercising your societal OCD about cleanliness means god will smile on you and halt your death by the aerosol respiratory virus that has nothing to do with what you touched

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shipon posted:

but fomites!!!!!!! we have to sanitize every surface or you'll get it, even wearing masks puts you more at risk because you'll touch your face more

that early period was absolutely idiotic

Nothing about this has changed op

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Frankly the most amazing thing on that graph is the assertion that all marine life and fish will be dead before 2050. Our oceans will be barren, acidic graveyards. That's just an incredible premise. The potential for content is literally unbelievable, I'm not jokerfied enough to truly envision it. Can we drink acid water?

Dr. Furious posted:

It would be more like red tides everywhere, all the time. Not barren at all!

The category 5 hurricane storm surge that inundates all our coastal areas multiple times a year is going to be extra spicy when instead of the normal toxic poo poo sludge left behind by a storm surge it's literally just a poison makes the affected area a superfund site.

But yeah overall not jokerfied enough to really grasp the implications of this.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Complications posted:

The US is estimated to emit 6.5 billion tons annually, so assuming this works exactly as advertised it's a 15% reduction in emissions from today's levels. To be on track to stop 2C+ by optimistic UN estimations it'd need to be a 50% reduction in emissions. We're, by the word of government propagandists, a third of the way to probably-not-enough. :toot:

About 60% of the number they're throwing around is tax credits for buying new electric cars, building new powerplants, and building new houses if they meet higher energy efficiency standards. All of that poo poo would have been nice if they'd started doing it twenty or thirty years ago, but in the short term of ten years it's subsidizing higher carbon intensity.

AaAAAaannanNNNnnd

quote:

Though the framework has been announced and draft legislative text is circulating through Congress, lawmakers have yet to vote. Manchin hasn't explicitly endorsed the framework, and it's unclear when exactly the bill might be passed along with Biden's bipartisan infrastructure bill.

This limp-dicked half measure will be heaved into the trash before it ever suffers the ignominy of a floor vote.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Just Climate, which will be launched on Wednesday, plans to invest in solutions that will help to limit global temperature rises to 1.5 degrees Celsius.

holy poo poo al gore's going to invent a time machine

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This doesn't surprise me at all. I watched a mini-doc on YouTube earlier about the diabetes epidemic in Mexico and how in the poorest areas Coke is a cleaner beverage than their local drinking water, and how there are *shamans* treating people with diabetes with Coke.

When the guy doing the documentary asked one of the shamans if she knew that sugary drinks *caused* diabetes, she immediately snapped back with "THAT'S A LIE." Of course, she makes her living selling Coke as a medicine, so... :shrug:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqnUohxXV0I

Wow weird how the town with the giant coca cola factory slurping up all their ground water has both contaminated poisoned municipal water supplies and an out of control diabetes crisis

weird.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

it's pretty funny how every time this thread talks about a city or region being relatively well positioned for climate change immediately a bunch of people die in that area from climate change

Places with stable generally mild climates have invested exactly $0 into climate change preparedness and infrastructure resiliency so get ready to fuckin rip it when suddenly other places are literally not habitable and the 'safe zones' are simultaneously overrun with refugees and also have no electricity because wind and rain are alien concepts there

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tabletops posted:

https://twitter.com/poitrasCBC/status/1461465828914774017

honestly he could literally read the IPCC reports from the last 14 years. the conclusions are conservative as gently caress but the devil is in the details if you wanna see it.

Adapting to climate change with a bold new strategy called "becoming homeless"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

so how long until we're finally done cutting down that whole thing and we finally stop getting those stale headlines every other month? i want some fresh content

The collapse of the rain forest ecosystem becomes self-perptuating and leads the entire Amazon basin to become a tropical savanna in 3 years I think? And then another decade or so after that for the forest to be effectively gone

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rutibex posted:

so what if you own the land thats now a river? can you build a dam

Yes.

Sorry, I have just been informed that your dam is also now a river.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tabletops posted:

i get this is the black pilled climate thread, but extreme rain events are not what is going to kill you from gcc. in fact, if you live in the americas there is a good chance you'll live to old age (or not die from gcc fallout) or whatever 5g per day of plastic consumption age that is.

generally it's cool to be like, wow poo poo's gonna suck so much 30 years from now, but I mean realistically you'll be fine. it's gonna suck a lot for developing countries in africa, central asia, the mid east and the developed countries that border them.

basically really really poor people are going to die, not you

Did your Lexus dealer tell you it was immune to mudslides and building collapses and bring swept away in floods or

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DesertIslandHermit posted:

lmao if this is what finally sets off the country to panic about climate change because no ski trips

Actually it won't because right-wing media will say 'We're coming out of an ice age of thousands of years ago so that's how it is'

The liberals are just waiting for permission to very somberly and regrettably and Adultishly join the chuds on the "just kill loving everyone who isnt a white westerner and be done with it" platform so I wouldn't be too excited for that alarm clock to ring

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey I thought we were supposed to have a couple more years of ignoring this, drat scientists

https://twitter.com/chriscartw83/status/1480581355587186691?s=20

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

we thwaited too long already

2020s, the decade we Found Out

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rah! posted:

lol can't wait to be sent to the oil farms

i wonder what my body will fuel

maybe i will get to power a child-sized submersible for elon musk

Fuel oil generated from your body will be used to greenwash a carbon-positive CCS plant.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Didn't look at the quiz but this comment made me frown so fuckin hard. Just automatic response

Holy gently caress the entire thing is sourced from Project Drawdown lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raine posted:

has d&d ever laid out their definition of a doomer

I re-watched The Big Short the other day and had something of an epiphany about this and maybe why our society is so catastrophically bad at undervaluing risk and overvaluing optimism.

When you 'go long' on a stock (or buy into/espouse/act in accordance with) the notion that something will be better in the future you are effectively making yourself a prophet of good news. This thing is good, and specifically, I (and you!) can benefit from my foresight on this subject. There are many ways that prophetic foresight manifests social value, like "buy these stocks and you'll make money" or "buy a house, you'll have a secure future" etc. but the basic premise remains the same: I know something is going to be good, and I can use that foreknowledge to profit myself by joining that venture and by sharing my insight so that others join as well. The social utility of people who display this behavior is obvious; you don't have much of a community or society without people banding together for common benefit.

When you 'go short,' the premise is inverted: you are making yourself a prophet of bad news. This thing is bad, you shouldn't participate in it, you should bet against it, you should avoid it. The thing is, this isn't symmetrically valuable to being the bringer of good news. There's no immediately obvious way that others can profit from a forecast of a bad outcome the way that they can from a forecast of a good outcome. So what's the value of the bad news bringer to the community? If everyone listens to them, and the thing they are warning about doesn't happen/bad outcome avoided, the obvious value is zero. Even if they were clearly, obviously correct (and that often isn't the case), you don't profit by listening to the guy who says the '08 housing bond market is hosed or who says the barn being raised is going to collapse (I'll get to short-selling in a sec) and staying out of it, you simply avoided some potential hypothetical losses - but the people tied to those endeavors are pissed because you kept others from supporting you. If no one listens and the event happens, everyone is pissed at you anyway because you knew and didn't stop them.

In the financial markets they had to specifically legalize short selling equities in the 30s because there was no incentive to step up and publicize even a very accurate forecast of bad news. Sure, you could avoid losses and maybe help others avoid losses, but avoiding losses is not a symmetrical incentive to gaining profits. Legalizing shorts helped balance that out by creating a financial vehicle for people to make huge piles of money if they were right (according to the market, in the future) that something was not going to work out. But there's something interesting about the way short sales are structured (partially fixed by options trading) that I think speaks to the asymmetry of optimism and pessimism in our society: if you go long, your gains are potentially unlimited but your losses are capped. If you go short, your gains are capped, but your losses are potentially unlimited. Betting a good outcome will occur is structurally less risky than betting a bad outcome will occur.

Now apply the same exact lens to poo poo like COVID or climate change. Where is the social or economic penalty for being wrong over and over and over on the side of optimism? It's extremely limited. Now look at the other side: you err on the side of caution (or hell, don't even make any errors but just talk about it a little too much) and you're a doomer, a chicken little, etc. Bottom line is, you can prognosticate incorrectly many many more times on the side of optimism and get away with it because we are socially conditioned to treat 'going long' and being optimistic as both more inherently valuable and less risky than 'going short' and being pessimistic. And when you can consistently profit from pathological optimism without suffering the consequences of your rosy view of the world, regardless of the actual outcomes, you can leverage that profit into greater and greater influence on the rules of the game - you can protect your bets by making it harder to bet against you. The status quo of our economic system is pathological optimists making pathologically optimistic bets and hiring other pathological optimists to run the optimist betting machinery, do PR for the bets being made, and write that no one could have predicted a bad outcome in the charred aftermath when those bets fail.
Pathological optimism at some point stops being the most profitable strategy and becomes the only acceptable strategy.

So what's the value of any of this navel-gazing?

In the 08 market collapse, the big optimistic betters almost all got cover from the government first to unwind their bets and then to sell off the crap they couldn't unwind when they turned out to be catastrophically wrong because our entire social and economic order is based on optimism being the default correct stance. Think about this for a second: we have baked in the correctness of pathological optimism into our culture to such a radical extent that even when we knew it was wrong to a degree that put the entire country's financial system in jeopardy of total collapse, the response was to pause the whole machine, change the rules, and make sure we protected the pathological (even fraudulently pathological) optimists from the consequences of their own terrible wagers before we started the machine up again.

That was in a system where the outcomes could be rigged to protect the gamblers when they were on the 'right' side. So what the gently caress happens when the system is the global climate or a pandemic and you can't bully it or cheat it or rig it so that the pathological optimist bet always pays out the way our society needs it to? In this society, anyone who says "things are going to get worse" becomes the equivalent of a crazed doom-saying prophet on the street corner because our society is no longer equipped to deal with the possibility of optimism being wrong. The prediction of the possibility (or likelihood) of a bad outcome is automatically apocalyptic because we can no longer prepare for or fix bad outcomes.

So don't be a doomer, you're really harshing everyone's vibe.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I really, seriously love the argument that climate change and COVID responses aren't comparable because "covid doesn't affect me so who cares"

Like just incredible levels of self-ownage.

"What's covid going to do, maim me personally as it erodes the very social fabric on which I will come to rely more and more with the increasing burden of my disabilities?"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wait that can't be right, that sounds like what climate change is going to do

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Just love to utterly prostrate myself before capital's argument that you shouldn't worry about anything that doesn't directly affect you right this instant. Keep consuming, because surely these problems will never come to your doorstep.

Well of course not, I have Doorstep Protection Plus Platinum

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Where does that coral come from lol

It's probably cultured but coral is one of those things where either there's going to be a lot of it or none of it and that switch is going to get flipped pretty quickly.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this, the best and sometimes cheapest are the ones pruned off some other person's colony.

i'd say more like it's a soft on/off with wild corals, they've been dying back for a while now, but when the slow mo switch clicks in imo the rest will all die basically instantly. Both coral reefs and kelp forests have been able to establish in weird deep water refugia that will surely be wiped out when the currents shift.

Climate change but the Doom music kicks in

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lmao

quote:

Biden has taken Republicans in Congress to task for failing to pass legislation to fight climate change.

“My message today is this: since Congress is not acting as as it should, and these guys here are,” he said, gesturing to Democratic lawmakers in attendance, before continuing, “We’re not getting many Republican votes. This is an emergency, an emergency, and I will look at it that way.”

He repeated his pledge to “use my executive power to combat climate crisis in the absence of congressional action.”

Republicans have indeed been unreceptive to his administration’s attempts to fight climate change and spur investment in green technology. However, Democrats were hoping to use their dominance in the House and the Senate’s reconciliation procedure to pass some proposals fighting climate change unilaterally - until senator Joe Manchin said last week he wouldn’t support them.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2022/jul/20/biden-climate-crisis-emergency-us-politics-latest-live#top-of-blog

literally cant even fake the dems supporting doing anything long enough to get through the live tweet of his speech without getting dumpstered

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

it's okay

By 2040 the New York Pension fund will only invest in net* zero** carbon*** entities

Prisons count as carbon negative because you can't buy or drive a car while you're in one

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Complications posted:

:hmmyes:

and naturally they'll have carbon credits to sell off due to their sequestration

Thanks I hate it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

The big 3 oil companies all donate to npr so this tracks

I think you mean the big 3 petroleum product delivery infrastructure companies

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Can someone show the math on how doubling our oil and gas lease acreage gets us 70% closer to any emissions reduction target

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it's funny how the "just far enough into the future so I don't need to care too much" narrative keeps holding despite rapidly accelerating evidence of imminent collapse.

Yeah it keeps holding because people keep one-upping their world collapsing by caring less

We're going to be hearing it's not that bad yet the year you can't buy wild-caught ocean fish anymore at any price because there are still some farms

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hubbert posted:

alright team, welcome to the biosphere collapse apocalyptic raider warband audition

i've got a few questions to determine if you'll get to be part of the goonmeet, or if you'll be goonmeat

ok here we go:

(1) what is your new nickname
(2) what will be your role in the gang
(3) how do you expect to die
(4) what will be your signature piece of BDSM attire

(1) The Oldest Man
(2) Telling the younglings the stories of the the beforeforetimes
(3) Younglings tire of being told moralizing stories irrelevant to their daily struggle to survive the merciless reality they have been condemned to, beat me to death with clubs
(4) Probably being kept in a cage on the back of the war rig to prevent me from meddling

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

The lmaos just never stop

on the other hand that's extinction rebellion and current affairs so maybe I trust the ceo of shell more?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kicked Throat posted:

way ahead of you. i already live in a hellscape where my morality was abandoned in order just to survive.

weird me too

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

thousands of gallons of 5% hexavalent chromium liquid

rip ann arbor

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The best part of the hexachrome story is that they pfas coat it to make it safer

you don't even want to know what the hexavalent chrome is plated over to reduce the hazard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I assume this is due to outsourcing emissions to other countries

It's also because the real economy is cratering under a thin veneer of financialized bullshit artistry