Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Basically high test copium that this is all some oscillation-driven once-in-a-blue-moon thing that doesn't represent the actual climate sensitivity and that it'll all just go away on its own and Follow the Science back to +1.1C or whatever we're supposed to be at now in the fantasy world where we stay under 1.5 by the end of the century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Actuary X posted:

We're just going to hit some tipping point and then we'll be like "Oh well it's too late now lol"

it already happened

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

five year rolling average doin a lot of work on that line lol, the 2024 distribution plot doesnt even overlap the trendline, probably fine!

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 23:22 on May 8, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Yeah, lmfao at the last year of data on that chart, there were basically no days below 1.5c. some, but barely any

[stumbling out of burned out car] well my five year average driving record is still ok

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

still trying to figure what broke in June 2023

... lockdowns?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TACD posted:

a which that does what? I’ve been sat indoors breathing heavily all day and your big words are making me angry :mad:

we need more money for cops to protect us from co2

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I thought they recently pulled back like 90% of funding for neom bullshit

e: drastically revised scope lol

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-05/saudis-scale-back-ambition-for-1-5-trillion-desert-project-neom

more like the lame

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zodium posted:

thank you. though I am pretty comfortable taking the highest end of estimates, to be honest.

now thats what i call a HOT model

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

alas, communists often err by presuming that coexistence with the west is possible

generally the single most consistent mistake communist parties have made in the last two hundred years yeah

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the devastating crisis with the cute name https://gizmodo.com/how-kitty-cats-are-wrecking-the-home-insurance-indust-1851480937

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gently caress them birds

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

looks like just a new normal to me!

every day has always hit a new all time record for average sea surface temperature

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

There's a hive of tricolor bumblebees around here somewhere and they always show up every year for three weeks for one specific bush in my yard they like even though their colonies are only supposed to last a year

Go get em bumbles

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

crepeface posted:

oh, this got posted in the asia thread already:

the one time a year a guy walks across the street from china to japan to buy a six pack of duracells to fill in the .001% that they lose in the recycling chain

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Listening to Fall of Civilizations podcast and I'm feeling like I'm in half of these episodes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

this is rank pedantry but i object to The Economist's headline. Those graphs do not help explain 2024's freakish temperatures, they merely document it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"this is climate change's fault" i mutter as i dump benzene into a wildlife sanctuary

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kassad posted:

"Can you imagine living in [insert civilization here] on the eve of this period of decline?"

Yeah man

Microplastics posted:

*soothing, slightly sexy voice* How must it have felt, to be a person living at the time, watching all of society crumble around you

"their agricultural production was dependent upon the condition of the deteriorating soil, and the previously steady climate that had become too hot and dry for the seasonal rains, and within a generation, all of their cities would lay abandoned"

:stonks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It was only slightly more ostrich-like than today. I've read more than once that the past year is El Niño anomaly and isn't actually actually 1.5C and actually we might still be able to keep things below 1.5C.

So, lol

it's el nino, it's supposed to be over 365 straight days of record sea surface temperatures