Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RIP Syndrome posted:

Cool. So the forecast by the way too pessimist, probably bad new models that was maybe, possibly happening next century in an absolute worst-case scenario:

- Is real
- Started happening in earnest a couple of years ago

lmao

This is going to keep being true til the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I wonder how much micro plastics blue whales get. Those are still around, right? They didn't go out shortly after Bowie and I missed it?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Pipe milk

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cloks posted:

generations are a capitalist construct designed to encourage people to seek enemies who aren't the upper classes

that said, boomers suck

No they are just arbitrary buckets humans thought up like literally every categorization. This is kinda reflective of that GMO argument. Capitalism inherently seeks to subvert everything man creates to its own ends, but that doesn't make it the creator.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Homocow posted:

a rube-goldberg machine of mental gymnastics to avoid admitting capitalism is responsible the climate crisis

"But Communists also pollute"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
My only regret is that I'll probably die before witnessing the full extent of how bad, dumb, and dystopian things get.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I remember a time when it was valued in that subforum to actually dissect why certain things were actually good or bad instead of banning all mention.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rime posted:

It's extremely good poo poo, to the point where it's actually mind boggling that it was published at all.

"What if we broke stuff, maybe we should break this stuff" isn't actually a violent message and Capitalists don't have full control of info yet. I love it. Wanna give it to a bunch of children for Christmas to troll their parents.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I thought about writing a response because basically the threads justification for never saying anything about the concept of something illegal is starting to feel like thought policing, and then realized Id just get probed too.

It's reminding me of a post Commiegir once made about the democractics. It started from 'well republicans are bad' and in a series of completely logical arguments ended with something very much like "I guess to do the most good we have to ban all criticism of democrats". It never was made a direct rule, but the thought process that ends with "we can't talk about how bad things will get and the insufficiency of any action in the allowed list because then someone might think about crimes" seems to be where a lot of posters in the thread want things to go.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The Shitularity

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Thinking about insulation a whole lot rn. Like how eventually there's just holes in it

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Technically all the cut down trees aren't emitted. But logic suggests the math supports you.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shipon posted:

lmfao that this thread fell for a junk paper that was a stealth ad for some grifters published in a predatory journal that accepts anything

Which one was that

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Lmao are you still mad about that.

There's much better things to be mad at

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Basic Poster posted:

Thank you for this. I can't tell you how glad I am to have it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Act Local
Mourn Global

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

bowser posted:

Excited to watch the headlines smoothly transition to "World Has a Historic Opportunity to Keep Warming Below 2.5C", then "Nations Pledge to Limit Warming to 4C", and then "Historic Agreements Seeks to Stop Warming at 6C"...

More like, "NATO interventions necessary to stop warming at 6C"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't claim to be very knowledgeable about the details and am white as gently caress but many back folks I follow seem to feel similarly about BLM.

At this point they've had decades of practice.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Sometimes I consider recycling glass and metal

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

mod edit: no

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:golfclap:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Please don't suggest
Our plastic products are bad
Or that nature is going to be changed.
People need hope.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I actually convinced my SO we should recycle our plastics and then I found out they were just being burned in Turkey and gave up

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
And an alpha-gal allergy

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm Ageist.

The age overshoot is at least as impactful, possibly more so. I dunno the math is complicated. I understand why everyone want to live longer, but too bad.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I used to feel really lovely after spending too long (6hours or so) with sweaty nerds in a comic book store playing magic. I always kind of figured that was why

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

i don't judge people for having kids because i pretty much don't give a gently caress about any personal choices now and our population boom is an unsurprising result of us getting all hosed up on fossil fuels. the drive to reproduce is strong, unless you're like me and just lack that gene or something. i do get mad when people judge me for not having kids though, i've had loving strangers tell me "you'll regret it" when they found out.

i'm super glad we never wanted kids though because it's gotta be hard to be on the crack ping express and it's just going to get harder as things get worse

Same, same, same. I'm ready to just jump on board with a Keurig or other convenient poo poo I was avoiding out of not wanting to waste because why would I deprive myself at this point. ("But if we all stop!")

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

Ugh Keurig is so bad at least get a Nespresso if you want to create tons of waste and swallow microplastics while making coffee

I'm visiting my parents and just used their Nespresso and was thinking, this poo poo is great I might as well go all in.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
At least they'll have fond of memories of their sweet bath water

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You are not responsible for any part of your carbon footprint including the part that is your children's footprint because you are not responsible for the structure of society today. It's a bad argument against having children because it buys into their framing.

The unimaginable suffering on the other hand...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

T-Paine posted:

I'm going to pee in your eye but it's not my fault it's because of society, bucko

I didn't even get a vote about where these sewer pipes would outlet and it's loving bullshit but everybody poops.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Free Rime you loving cowards

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

learning to code in a 100 years , getting the computer to say ’hell world’

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

The relentless march of time will kill at minimum 7,945,405,074 people.

Was telling people as far back as 2004 that this was going to be a problem but everyone just wants to submit to the tyranny of chrono-normality.

Our protest gathered dozens of like-minded people but never quite caught on nationally.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There really is a discord full of posters who do climate change denialism in the name of mental health. Its darkly hilarious.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Re: Rime. I mean long probe him if you feel it's appropriate but a perma seems harsh.

Point was that that particular post didn't deserve anything at all. If they're going to permaban him for lifetime achievement racism they need to just do it instead of letting random nerds buy back his account (I think Jeff said someone gifted him his last re-up) and then banning him again for innocuous posts.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's a complicated interaction because none of this happens all at once. There will be some sort of a city that thinks it's keeping civilization still going but things will break and not be replaceable and in time it too shall fall into ruin. It's not really very material whether this is before or after the last pollinator.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Becoming hunter gatherers when there is nothing left to hunt or gather

"Cannibal scavenger" just doesn't have the same noble primitivist vibe.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I wonder what actuarial tables look like when they start accounting for not wanting to scare off normies vs what they "should"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

some plague rats posted:

yeah dude I quoted that post because it was delicious

You sure showed that guy how not smug and annoying you are

emTme3 posted:

so one of the assumptions that i'm making with the writing is that basically that this Scientific Universe (and all the various lenses on it) is the correct one that everyone is living in regardless of their beliefs otherwise - and from there I'm re-subjectifying it in to a doomsday commie autopsy on civilization

which is wicked fun.

Keep it up, we're almost there! I've been thinking some of this through myself and your writing has helped a ton.

emTme3 posted:

each group split would have a new chance to use energy differently - but if they did, their neighbors would overshoot and eat them anyways. if you can't see this pattern happening over and over again in the 20c, then turn your monitor on.

This part is very much where I have been focusing my attention. It's a game with hidden conditions, including a bunch of "no one wins" and we can't reveal them without playing and then losing.

Harold Fjord has issued a correction as of 13:21 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tony Tone posted:

And it will continue to be like this until circumstance allows it, and then we will turn to one another and rip each other apart with our bare hands.

I think that's what EMT is saying.